[AAR] BLAP Talwars 2018.07.17 - Noobs in Nullsec

Harai Rex
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Sophomore

[AAR] BLAP Talwars 2018.07.17 - Noobs in Nullsec

Post by Harai Rex »

Hey all! Reise had some RL issues that meant he couldn't FC the NoP fleet this week, so I took over for him. Thanks to one of our out-of-corp participants, Analiese, we made use of a Thera Wormhole connection and took the roam out to Providence. It was one of my first times FCing a fleet in nullsec, but things went pretty well! We got some nice kills, mostly stayed alive, and had a good time all around :D

Roam members (18)
Spoiler
Aeryn Tzun
Aiden Chance
Analiese Aubernet - Scout
Coaxster - Dictor
Dante Severo - 2IC
Daz Argentum
Douglas Chin
Drake Shea - Scout
Ged Sinak
Gemma Solett - Scout
Harai Rex - FC
Kirsid Tannaway
Mauritun
Penelore
Satoshi Tomeii
Space Warfare Development
Wokum
Xivik Skord
Since I was caught a bit off guard with having to form and run this fleet, our form-up was a bit slower than is usual for fleets I run. We undocked at 01:45 with a fleet that, although small, had a decent composition: we had 10 Talwars, 3 scouts, a crucifier for ewar and a sabre for bubbles. WIth 10 Talwars we wouldn't be killing anything with alpha strike, but we were still fast, long-range, and could put out a decent amount of dps. Our wormhole to Thera was in the Northern corner of Placid, so we had about 13 jumps of lowsec to go through before hopping to nullsec. Our journey to our Thera connection was uneventful; scouts reported a few possible targets off our route, but they were all pretty small and I wanted to get the fleet to nullsec as soon as possible. Both our wormhole into and out of Thera were clear, so we went on through and dove right into the heart of Providence.

"FC rats are bully"
- Gemma Solett, being a baby

"Wokum: We're not coming back.
Coaxster: hmm, looking at my 125m ship ..."

Wokum and Coaxster, discussing the likely fate of our fleet

Once we reached Providence, we didn't have to wait very long for content. One of our scouts caught a Drake on a gate in the system our wormhole dumped us in. The Drake didn't put up much of a fight, and we got the fleet off to a good start.

(02:05:15) MVCJ-E
Drake +78.69m

A few jumps later, we found a Vexor Navy Issue ratting in a site (naturally). The VNI was not completely AFK and started attacking our Sabre pilot, Coaxster. Unfortunately, Coaxster got stuck on the rock formations in the middle of the site and couldn't warp out. Our Sabre went down just moments before the VNI did, and we gave Coaxster the pod express home.

(02:13:50) X6AB-Y
Sabre -125.5m
Vexor Navy Issue +139.96m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule +0.01m

Things quieted down for a bit after that, until Analiese exclaimed that he had found a Praxis off our yellow brick road and we all scrambled to come support him. Scouts established tackle, and the rest of the fleet came on in. The Praxis dropped a mobile depot, which scared us at first, but then he attacked one of our scouts, locking himself out of the depot. We slowly broke the Praxis's tank with our Talwars' dps, and then popped the pod afterwards. It was only when we checked the killmails that we realized what a great catch it was. Almost 300 million ISK in dropped loot! Plus a pod worth almost 850 million ISK! We congratulated ourselves on the kill and then Drake was dispatched in his interceptor to ferry the loot back to the safety of highsec.

(02:28:46) 08Z-JJ
Praxis +606.63m
Capsule +828.02m

"Do not go.They wait"
- Mauritun, translating an insanely creepy message from the locals

After the Praxis kill, we took a bio break and then continued our roam through Providence. By this time, we had been noticed by the locals, and one of the sov-holding alliances in the area, Coalicion Hispania, formed up a small Caracal gang to come fight us. Although Caracals were very deadly to our Talwars, I was sorely temped to see if I could use our superior range to get a few cheeky Caracal kills off their QRF fleet. Between my indecision and arguments with some of the fleet members about how smart this was, the Caracals caught up to us, killing one of our Talwars and splitting the rest of the fleet between two systems.

(03:01:11) D-GTMI
Talwar -13.94m
Capsule -0.01m

The fleet eventually reunified, and we continued along our way. We shook the Caracals off our tail, and then caught and killed an instalock Thrasher from the same alliance, presumably going to join up with his friends.

(03:24:44) 3GXF-U
Thrasher +8.14m

By the time we killed the Thrasher, it was getting late, and I was taking the fleet back towards our in-system. Unfortunately, our wormhole to Thera had dissipated, and we were stranded in Providence. I decided to turn the fleet back around and try to welp us to end the fleet, and so I flew us right to CVA's capital system, hoping to get a rise out of them. We had no such luck, but did run into a bait Drake one system over. Our scouts took the bait and then we killed the Rupture that came in in response. The Drake and companion interceptor got away, unfortunately.

(03:37:55) 9UY4-H
Rupture +20.37m
Capsule +0.01m

By this point, I was very tired and desperately looking for a way to welp the fleet. We were sitting on a gate in CVA's home system, when a purifier decloaked and launched a bomb at us. I, knowing nothing about bomb mechanics and being pretty stupid this late in the night, turned on my MWD. For those of you who don't know, bombs deal damage according to how big your sig radius is, so turning on an MWD near one is pretty much like jumping on a live grenade. It seems our crucifier made the same mistake.

(03:44:44) 9UY4-H
Crucifier -3.83m
Talwar -15.22m

While I was dying stupidly, our scouts had tackled a Stratios in the next system. I handed fleet command over to Analiese and he led them to glorious victory, netting a nice Stratios kill. Afterwards, I jumped in and asked the fleet for pod express. By the time I realized that this course of action would lead to Gemma Solett having a Harai Rex corpse, it was too late to stop the fleet; I died, and now my body hangs somewhere in Gemma's creepy corpse emporium.

Stratios +278.35m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule +0.01m

After my death, Analiese led the fleet to the nearest highsec system, where the fleet officially ended.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 1,960,186,689.94
ISK Lost: 158,512,527.86
ISK Delta: 1,801,674,162.08
Efficiency: 92.518%

Overall, this fleet was fun and successful. Despite our small numbers, our fleet had a decent balance of DD and support, which we used to our advantages in getting some nice kills without taking many losses. The Talwars proved successful, but this success came from their speed and range, not their alpha strike; I think the fleet would have done just as well or better in longbow Cormorants. Although we did have a range advantage over the Caracals, they were faster, tankier, and had better dps, so engaging them would not have been a good idea. Although we could have snagged a few kills by starting the fight at 100 km, aligning out, and warping off before they closed range, there would have been no guarantee we could kill a Caracal before being forced to warp off, and this level of tactics is probably a bit more complicated than appropriate for a Noobs on Patrol fleet. Taking a NoP fleet to nullsec did not pose any particular challenges, and the absence of gate guns and fw plex mechanics probably made things easier for the newbies, in fact. I'd recommend taking NoP fleets to nullsec more in the future.

As I said earlier, we gathered almost 300 million ISK of loot from the Praxis wreck. Although loot normally goes to the FC for the purposes of future fleets, this is enough money that I feel distributing it among the fleet members is appropriate. I currently have a sell order up in Amarr for the loot, which is projected to sell for 290 million ISK. Split 18 ways, this will come out to about 16 million ISK per fleet member. If you want to opt out of your share of the loot, or want the money deposited somewhere besides directly into your wallet, please let me know in this thread or in an Eve-mail. I already know Aeryn Tzun doesn't want a share. Hopefully, money should be distributed by the end of next week.

Thank you all for flying with me on this fleet! It was tons of fun, and I hope to see all of you on future fleets!

Happy Hunting o7
Harai Rex
Last edited by Harai Rex on 2018.07.19 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Drake Shea
Title: Ensign, Graduate

Re: [AAR] BLAP Talwars 2018.07.17

Post by Drake Shea »

10/10 fleet, would awox FC again
Uathraptor Unista
ImageImageImage
Mauritun
Title: Freshman

Re: [AAR] BLAP Talwars 2018.07.17 - Noobs in Nullsec

Post by Mauritun »

This was definitely a wholly enjoyable and exciting fleet! :D :D I second the suggestion that NoP could go into Nullsec more often; though I think a link to Safe-Spot creation and bubble mechanics should be included in the Calendar and touched on in the Newbro speech for those who are not familiar.
Aeryn Tzun
Title: Sophomore

Post by Aeryn Tzun »

Great FC & Great Fleet! :D :D

Opting out of loot. :smug:
Image[/url]
Douglas Chin

Post by Douglas Chin »

I also agree NoP should venture into null (this fleet was my first time there) if only so I can minimize standing loss! Was quite cool seeing bubbles for the first time as well. Also, learning about bomb mechanics the hard way.
Wokum
Title: Sophomore

Post by Wokum »

Great fleet, had a blast. Give my share of loot to a good cause. :D
Mauritun
Title: Freshman

Post by Mauritun »

Douglas Chin wrote:I also agree NoP should venture into null (this fleet was my first time there) if only so I can minimize standing loss! Was quite cool seeing bubbles for the first time as well. Also, learning about bomb mechanics the hard way.
Absolutely - avoiding standing loss is huge, especially for Newbros who might have a hard time keeping standings up when they plan to stay in HighSec.