[AAR] WT Hunting Fleet 24/05/2018

Jacob Velora
Title: Assistant Manager (Teaching), HSC Logistics Officer, Senior Personnel Officer, Mentor, Sophomore, Management

[AAR] WT Hunting Fleet 24/05/2018

Post by Jacob Velora »

Participants
Spoiler
Arrek Lemmont
Astar Kreth
Lobevaser
Krekin
Bunny Crusher
Rohan Amadeus
Volkan Kaliarte
EBane Padecain
Fleet Preperation

My intention was for this to be kitchen sinky from the start but newbros were advised to bring BLAP Vexors or ECM dependant on skills. Main DD was a Vindicator with 1600dps supported by the vexors. ECM for contingency in case we decided to disengage or logi came on field.
We had OOC eyes on a WT in a Machariel in Du Annes and so we formed the fleet in Merolles. My idea was get to him to engage a Vexor to activate his weapons timer at which point we would jump in to assist.

Fleet Actions
Bunny Crusher engaged the target in his Vexor and called out that he had been red boxed at the Balle gate. I gave the order for the fleet to jump in and warp to the Balle gate. We all landed and I asked for secondary scram to be applied as the primary (Bunny) was going down. I asked 1 light tackle to jump through to Balle in case he de-aggressed and jumped. It looked like he was burning to the gate so I called for our fleet to de-agress so we could prepare to jump through after him. This was my critical error. The target did not take the gate and started burning away from us and without scram or webs he burned out of our range and warped off. I should have left at least 1 person scramming/webbing.

Losses:
Vexor
Griffin

Kills:
None, but we did force him to abandon his Fed Navy Ogres which we scooped.

Overall evaluation

* We formed up against WTs which is rare

* The objective was not achieved
* The Vindicator was point not scram fit (fitting error)

Lessons Learned

1. Always keep scram/web on target until he's confirmed to have jumped.
2. Consider different tackle next time. Either fast light tackle or sending in the Vindicator which had more tank and dps than the Mach.
3. Understand fleet composition up front - who has scrams and points.

Thanks to everyone who attended.
lobevaser

Re: [AAR] WT Hunting Fleet 24/05/2018

Post by lobevaser »

I had the target Scramed but was not fitted with a webber. When the FC called for a de-aggressed I did as commanded , and headed for the gate.
I was thinking the I should of been keeping the target scramed but did as the FC ordered.

Jabob did his best and he learned from this fleet. And in my view we won the fight .

We did scooped his Drones up and the target lost some ISK on thoses.
Lobevaser - Teacher
Graduate
Rohan Amadeus
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Post by Rohan Amadeus »

Thanks for forming a fleet and providing content, Jacob.

Yes, mistakes were made, but that's part of the fun and the learning process. What made the deaggress call difficult is that someone had called that the machariel was crashing gate which turned out not to be the case and it's sometimes easy to mistaken a ship's direction from a certain perspective. So everyone comes out of this learning a bit more on how to fly and being sure of a direction of a ship and the FC has learned how to make calls a bit more clear; this is why we undock.
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

So close - nice job with getting eyes on a good target, and baiting him to agress :)

What I recommend in a situation where you're concerned that the target will make it to the gate, is to have only a couple people deagress, and wait for him on the other side. Make sure you pick people with at least a point, preferably also a scram ( to prevent him using his MJD if he's got one). If needed, also send a logi to keep your tackle alive.

By sending only a few ships to catch the target on the other side of the gate, you can keep the main body of the fleet focused on killing the target. It helps at this point to ask people make sure they're scramming, webbing him and overheating their damage as well.

Good engagement otherwise :)
Astar Kreth
Title: Freshman

Post by Astar Kreth »

First - thanks to Jacob for forming the fleet and getting us out and into action. Thanks also to Rohan who served as a very able number 2.

My perspective

I was flying a Hecate and was one of the two ships (together with Arrek in a Jaguar) who jumped the gate from Du Annes into Balle on contact in order to be in position to tackle. We held position until it became apparent the WT was not burning back to the gate and was gaining range on the fleet, at which point we were directed to jump back into Du Annes. By the time we had jumped into system the WT had escaped.

During the engagement the conduct of the fleet on comms was excellent. Channels were clear and the FC had a clear plan of engagement. As mentioned there was a single miscommunication which led to the WT escaping. It would be best practice to have an assigned tackle to keep point until the WT leaves system even when the fleet disengages.

Overall a good learning experience for those involved and a well commanded fleet, just a shame we didn't get the killmail. Thanks again to the FC.

Astar
Arrek Lemmont
Title: Graduate

Post by Arrek Lemmont »

I really enjoyed this fleet. As Jacob mentions, we rarely form up against war targets so it was great doing so. The FC and everyone else have already explained that we didn't get the kill because we didn't have one person assigned to keep tackle. I feel like I'm not the only person who learnt on this fleet about being real specific when giving an order like that.

"John. Not you. You keep scram. Everyone else deaggress and burn back to the gate," is probably the right command.

This was an opportunity for me to fly a Jaguar based on the likes that Derek and Nunnery have been flying.
Spoiler
[Jaguar, Jaguar catch Mach]

Assault Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Warp Scrambler II
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster
Stasis Webifier II
Small Capacitor Booster II

Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
'Malkuth' Rocket Launcher I
[Empty High slot]
Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu

Small Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Small Anti-Explosive Screen Reinforcer II

Republic Fleet Warrior x4

Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket x120
Navy Cap Booster 50 x29
This is one of those ships that can catch the "kitey s**t" battleships people occasionally bring to us. The BS pilot assumes he can neut off tackle with one cycle of his heavy neut and he's MWD fit doing ~2000 m/s, so pointing him with an Interceptor is useless anyway. But the Jaguar says "Nup", using its Noses and Cap Booster to ignore the heavy neut. The Jaguar isn't expected to live long, but it's not fitted with anything expensive. It lives long enough for something tanky like the Vindicator or a Rokh to get hold of the target.

This was the first day I took the Jaguar out. Caught an unfortunate Rupture in X-P with it, which three NSCbros burned down. Then heard about this WT fleet from Rohan. Turned out I was in exactly the right ship to catch a Machariel!
Former NSC Ship Supply Officer / Combat Officer / Mentor
Ersin Oghuz
Title: Campus Manager (HSC), Caw Caw, Ensign, Teacher, Graduate, Management

Post by Ersin Oghuz »

Jacob, thanks for doing this! We form fleets against WTs when they are around our campus, but apart from old "Horn of Amygnon" days we do not form fleets to travel systems where WTs use to fly and engage them! Thank you for taking first step and leading the fleet. I hope this will be the first of many.

Regarding the engagement and fleet composition. It seems you had a decent composition with BLAP Vexors and a Vindicator. Good call for selecting a Vexor as a bait and it seems it did work nicely. As a Vindicator it is normal that you fit for disrupter since with long range webs you can really hurt opponents movement capabilities even the opponent ship is fitted ith MWD. But you need secondary tackles that can scram the opponent first so you can get in range in the meanwhile and that was the problem here i guess. Half of the Vexors could be fitted with Disrupter+Sensor Damps while half of them can be fitted with Scram+Web. Combining with ECM Griffin that could seriously affect Machariel's engagement capabilities especially if the sensor damperens are loaded with Scan Resolution Dampening scripts.

PS : There is a misconception around that HSC does not form fleets against WTs which is wrong. We do form Fleets when they are around. However we do not form fleets to travel far systems just to engage them. There is difference :)
"In Blasters I Trust"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage