[AAR] BLAP Caracals 09/05/2018

Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[AAR] BLAP Caracals 09/05/2018

Post by Adrien Claremont »

Hey guys,

So this fleet was a bit of a mixed bag. While I had fun, we didn't really find much in the way of fleet vs fleet content (until the end when we'd already called the end of the fleet and split up :lol:). Hopefully everyone else had some fun too.

The newbro speech turned into a 30 min epic actually, with Union providing some extra info as we had first time logi with us.

Roam members (28)
Spoiler
Adrien Claremont - Caracal
Alexander Oromov - Malediction, Republic Fleet Firetail
Almis Vilag
Annualum - Caracal
Athena Firefly - Caracal
Auric Fulcrum - Maulus
Avern Darkwinter - Talwar
Avrin Dennard - Caracal
Bora Vyvorant - Caracal
Decklin Quark Reiger - Stiletto
Erwin Madelung - Osprey
Jor'Ox - Caracal
Kora K - Enyo
Leon Zhost - Caracal
Lord Bartok - Caracal
Matheus Esp
Mols Halleck - Stork
Rebulah Conundrum - Caracal
Rider Isleman - Stiletto
The Jojosh
Tye Etch
Union Pivo
Yrael Oramara - Caracal
Zoltan Irvam - Caracal
Zykey Jovakko - Caracal
ashahara - Caracal
averoth trojan
lobevaser - Caracal
Kills and Losses

(18:51:28) Ouelletta
Thrasher +20.3m

Scouts found a Thrasher at a ping off the gate. Straight forward gank.

(19:26:53) Kedama
Malediction -56.72m
Tristan +9.55m
Tristan +6.4m
Tristan +6.4m
Tengu +1585.61m

Scouts found a Tengu fighting a small Tristan fleet and got additional tackle on the Tengu while the fleet jumped in. I called free fire on the Tristans to prevent them switching focus to our lighter support ships before we took down the Tengu with little fuss.

I believe we looted the Tengu wreck, although nothing has been contracted to me. If someone has the 400mil in loot, please drop it into HSC donations tin or let me know and I'll do it.

(19:30:29) Kedama
Talwar -23.31m
Capsule -4.42m

I'm not sure what happened here as I fleet warped everyone off grid while the remaining Tristans stayed at a ping.

(19:43:05) Kedama
Caracal -17.15m
Capsule -0.01m

With the fleet one jump over in Niswua, we heard on comes that someone was being shot. While the fleet was in a position to help and jump back into Kedama, the location was passed too late and we didn't arrive in time.

(19:44:46) Heydieles
Moa +27.76m

There was quite a bit of work for this one. Scouts and the fleet had to travel 3, if not four, jumps while trying to catch a Moa warping gate to gate. Due to not having the luxury of time to pre-align the fleet before warping, the fleet became quite stretched out due to the range in navigation skill points that we had. Eventually we caught up and secured the kill.

(20:04:25) Evaulon
Algos +14.28m

Simple gank...

(20:13:00) Akidagi
Coercer +24.36m
Caldari Navy Hookbill +22.59m
Stabber +18.91m
Imperial Navy Slicer +31.65m

This was a fun little engagement. It looked like there was a small destroyer gang and a stabber having a fight outside a small. The main fleet landed at the same time as a couple of extra frigates. We secured tackle on everything we could and cleared up the field.

(20:37:48) Ostingele
Stiletto -40.2m
Caracal -31.26m
Caracal -14.01m
Stiletto +44.94m
Caracal -30.91m
Osprey -20.91m

Ha, now just to set to the scene for this fight. We'd been roaming for close to 2 hours by this point and had made our way back down to Placid. In Agoze, 1 jump over, the fleet had split up with those wanted to go to the HSC heading off via Loes with everyone else heading towards Stac/Uph. We'd been tailed for the last couple of jumps by 2 inties however our forwards scouts hadn't seen anything along the way.

I was with the HSC guys in Loes when the fleet members heading towards Stac/Uph reported a flashy gang in Ostingele. I heard Gnosis, Hurricane and Scimitar however I didn't realise how large the fleet was at the time. I asked in comms if everyone was up for a fight and all the replies agreed. We burned over and leeroyed into whatever was waiting for us on the other side.

While we would be jumping into them likely in brawling range, I was confident that we could be able to pull enough range quickly to reach our preferred kiting distance (roughly 40km due to fleet skills). I called one their Logi as primary first however he was immediately catching reps and we didn't make a dent. This was not a fight we would be able to kill anything, let alone win at this stage. I switched focus to their light tackle, hoping to free up as many people from tackle that I could and the fleet aligned out. Once their second inty burnt out of range from us, I fleet warped everyone I could away.

Not the best of fights, but I still found it fun.

Other than that, we chased a couple of things around (primarily Vexors, one with a MWD+cloak...) however with limited tackle I was very hesitant to use the classic Uni tactic of "wait, scouts call tackle, fleet warps in". Instead, as we were often in the same system anyway, I would fleet warp everyone just after the scout so the pressure to hold tackle for an extended period was less. A couple people have since mentioned in the FCC feedback that they felt this just resulted in the fleet wasting time bouncing around as I was trying to move the fleet as fast as I could, rather than waiting for the right time. Maybe this was the wrong call, and I should have waited for the scouts before warping.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 1,812,738,332.93
ISK Lost: 238,909,063.73
ISK Delta: 1,573,829,269.2
Efficiency: 88.355%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    * First time FCing Caracals for me. I thought it went relatively well and although we didn't find any worthwhile fleet vs fleet fights, we did secure some nice kills.
    (Negative stuff)
    * Fleet became stretched out at times due to the need to travel fast. Perhaps I put my desire to kill stuff above the need to move the fleet as a single unit.
    * While I thought I had the entire fleet (fleet was pre-aligned and fleet warped) with me after the Tengu engagement, we lost two pilots separately who were no longer with the fleet.
    *I need to ensure that at least one fast tackle, or maybe a keres, stays with the fleet. There were a couple of times where something jumped into us and we just didn't have the tackle with us as scouts where a different system.
I'd really like some feedback on both the fleet warping and the length on the newbro speech. As I've already mentioned, there were a couple of comments in the FCC feedback saying the fleet warps were stretching the fleet out. I'm also conscious that the newbro speech ran over by roughly 15 mins. I'm one for rambling at the best of times, and while I don't think there was any useless information that we covered, 30 mins is probably a bit too long. Please leave you comments here, otherwise I won't know any better for my next fleet.

Thanks to everyone for coming out, and a bit thank you to our scouts as it would be a pretty boring fleet without them.

For those taking part in the CCI, this fleet will count as a HSC participation event: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/CCI
For those who lost a ship, don't forget that you can claim back through the Uni SRP: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/SRP#Uni_ ... sements.29
Finally as I am taking part in the FCC, please fill in the FC Feedback Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1

Cheers.
Rebulah Conundrum
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] BLAP Caracals 09/05/2018

Post by Rebulah Conundrum »

Yowsa,

Been a long time since I flew a Caracal in anger (I honestly think it was Op. Chorogon :shock: ) and I enjoyed the fleet, it was a nice change tbh. I feel that the sheer size of the fleet did work against us in some ways since most of the other fleets we spotted made sure that we couldn't engage them (even the Goons, although that was understandable given our relative fleet comp :D ) but that problem is in all honesty a nice one to have as all too often we are short of numbers. There were a few issues with comms early on, but they were soon sorted out and that Tengu kill was very satisfying indeed, a great way to start and I'm sure the newbros were bought in after seeing the action and consequent KM.

As mentioned above the fleet warping was, I think, symptomatic of our comp and what we were chasing and your idea of keeping a fast tackle with the main fleet would probably limit that as the fleet would be then busy bringing fiery doom to all and sundry, as they deserve :lol: .

Rebulah.
averoth trojan
Title: Freshman

Re: [AAR] BLAP Caracals 09/05/2018

Post by averoth trojan »

Hey, thanks for fleet, fun and nice content. Was the first time I flew cap trans logi (Osprey) and learned a bit more about the cap chain, who the primaries will most likely be, who to prelock (logies, squishys, etc).
As far as the newbro speech, I might've been the main cause of it (don't think there was another logi newbro) and the reason is people thought I never flew logi before so gave the whole speech (broadcast settings, anchoring, etc), which was nice, but took a while. I was only asking about logi with cap transmit, however wasn't sure if there was another newbro or not so didn't want to interrupt. Ill be a bit clearer next time.
Thanks and see ya!