[AAR] Solitude Moon Mining - Actual PvP?

Dunbartian Wonderwood
Title: Sophomore

[AAR] Solitude Moon Mining - Actual PvP?

Post by Dunbartian Wonderwood »

So, uh, never thought I'd have to do this, but uh, here we go.

Fleet Members including Alts:
Spoiler
Dunbartian Wonderwood (FC)
Tye Etch (Aphelion)
Bora Vyvorant (The Valiant Hero)
Fergus Echerie (Bree)
Vanniht
Gabriel Araceli
Kai-Alon Deninard
Nema Potecari
Tolerin Escipion
Abelard Andedare
Horza Okanata
Gaahl Ronuken
So, I'm not going to bore you all with the specifics of the mining, because who needs that, this is the PvP section after all!
We were doing our normal thing, mining the rocks, doing what miners love to do. Up until we had an extremely dangerous ship come onto grid and bring concord with them. They shot at what might have been there friends, bringing concord, and then they proceeded to sit around in the moon belt with a kill right on them for 10 million in there absolutely blinged out ship. Upon discussing it in comms, we came to the conclusion that they were kill right baiting. So, of course we weren't gonna pay 10 million to shoot at this dangerous...

Why is flashy now?
It's flashy, right? For all of us?
That poor soul.

Someone, somewhere, had paid the 10 million to activate the kill right. And they were flashy. I was convinced it was a bait. Shoot them, gain the limited engagement, and switch out to a combat ship. Makes sense, right?
However, Bora, the hero of this story, took it upon himself to make sure our fleet was safe and destroyed the monster with his hobgoblin II's. I thank you for your service.

Kills:
Velator: 48.7k

Capsule: 10k

Also, fun fact, this is my 1 year anniversary of being in E Uni, and this is best gift I could receive. My very first FCing of a PvP fleet (technically) and we went 100% isk positive!

Stats:
ISK Destroyed: 58.7k
ISK lost: 0
ISK Delta: 58.7k
Efficiency: 100%

Pros:
100% Isk Efficiency!
Good Communication between the others
Bora saved us.

Cons:
I kinda froze up, confused. So don't do this.
I got too paranoid.
Bora Vyvorant
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Mentor

Re: [AAR] Solitude Moon Mining - Actual PvP?

Post by Bora Vyvorant »

At least it wasn't an Imicus. Those scare the heck out of me.

To be serious for a moment though, I thought this was an interesting encounter because I've never seen a killright scam happen in front of me. Usually you come across someone in an expensive ship with a killright on them that you can activate (the crosshair icon in the overview, and in the top-right of the selected item window) and you think "that looks killable, but I bet it's brick tanked" and fly on past.

Here's how it worked in this case:

Corvette warps into the mining belt, aggresses a neutral (to us) miner, gets Concordokkened, goes red flashy, warps off. My assumption at this point is that the idea was to draw Concord to one location as preparation to executing a gank elsewhere in system.

Fifteen minutes later, once his criminal status has dropped, he warps back to the belt in a new Corvette, appears with an activatable killright. Hangs out next to the same miners for a bit, then starts wandering about near us, appears to go AFK. I'm not seeing any threat from him and certainly don't want to pay 10M to activate the now public killright. At this point I have revised my theory to be that he is actually with the neutrals he attacked before, and the idea is to protect them by bringing Concord to the belt.

It's at about the time when I realise this new theory makes no sense when he goes suspect for no apparent reason. Assuming it's a trap and he's planning on upshipping me, I align my Procurer to somewhere safe, set safeties to green just in case I am missing some complicated high-sec mechanic I don't properly understand, and drag out the Hobgoblins and zap him. And then I zap his pod. Nothing happens for a few minutes and eventually my limited engagement timer drops.

Then he warps back into the belt in a new Corvette again with yet another 10M ISK killright and the penny drops: I realise that this is actually a way to make money, and I've just helped him to get back to station faster. I still don't know who gave him the 10M ISK this time (everyone in fleet denies it), but hopefully the story will help people avoid the scam in future. The important thing is that he's presumably an alt of the person he was Concorded for aggressing earlier, who made the killright public for a fee.

The corpse looks nice in my hangar, though, and I now have a kill from a mining barge. Which is a thing.
ImageImageImage
Ceilidh Brinalle

Re: [AAR] Solitude Moon Mining - Actual PvP?

Post by Ceilidh Brinalle »

Kill marks on a Barge are the best thing ever...
Image Image Image ImageImage