[AAR] Longbow Cormorants - 2018.04.30

Eadrom Vintarus
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects (NSC, LSC, Solitude, FCC), Ensign, Mentor, Graduate

[AAR] Longbow Cormorants - 2018.04.30

Post by Eadrom Vintarus »

PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK SO I CAN LEARN:
https://goo.gl/forms/W6OTiwPMD2Lu1lmL2
^ Fill out that form and / or post in this thread.

Unified SRP Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

First, and foremost, thank you very much to everyone that attended my fleet!

I had just gotten back from a conference very late last night, grabbed a few hours of sleet, and alarm clocked for this fleet. Woke up, and had to burn 30+ jumps through Amarr to grab a fit and then to Stacmon for staging. Social life is inconvenient for space pixels at times. xD We had a few people shipping in fits for the fleet. THANK YOU! That was awesome to have those spare ships for people to buy and probably helped get us a few more numbers.

We undocked shortly before a quarter after 1800 and headed out into low sec. Movement was relatively uneventful. We tried for a Worm at one point. I was less than decisive about going for the worm and Decklin and Troven were not able to grab him. Perhaps if I had made the call sooner, we could have had a chance at grabbing it.

There was a report that a gate camp was setup in Akidagi. Two to three cruisers each on two gates. I was setting us up for taking a shot at poking that beehive and had scout jump through into AKI. He shortly after reported a large (30+) retribution fleet and a separate Maller fleet were around in AKI and headed into Nennamaila. We were already aligned to the AKI gate and so I fleet warped us to 50km from the gate. Our range is 70km so I figured at 50km, we would be able to shoot anything that spawned around the gate. The retribution fleet jumped in and began decloaking.

I ordered an align with prop mods on, and took a shot at a Dean. We got it to maybe 80% armor and reps caught. I didn't figure we had enough dps with corms to alpah anything, so we would need to quickly burst down squishier targets. We got a Punisher and right about the time we were ranging ourselves, I called prop mods off, and then we got a Cruor. The USUCK retribution fleet booshed towards us, landing them at around 20-30km I think from us.

I took a few moments to see if there was a better celestial to re-align the fleet to. I didn't see anything and so called for anchor on me and began burning away. I was looking through target list to see if there was anything else we could pop. IIRC at that point it was just Deacons, Retributions, and their command dessie. Not having anything left I though we could break and being out of position and seeing some losses start to roll in, I called for prop mods off and fleet to scatter. We lost 4 corms and a few of us took some good amount of damage while aligning out. We re-grouped on a neutral Astrahus. We lost more ships but were still able to trade a little more favorably since our losses were T1 and they lost a faction frigate. GF's in local. Thanks to USUCK for a gud fite, as always.

The Retribution fleet and the Maller fleet started to play with each other and we were able to slip through and continue on our way. A couple jumps later, Troven scored us a nice Algos kill he caught outside of a FW complex. Great flying kept him alive while every was warping in.

Troven caught us a bigger fish in Indregulle, an Armageddon at a Large FW 'plex. We only had one ship with tackle and it would be sure to be neuted, so it was a difficult catch. The 'geddon was also 100km off the 'plex beacon. However, he was right in line w/ our in gate, so we warped to the 'plex at 100km and landed right on top of him. I don't remember what order, if any, that I gave for range. I personally was orbiting at 30km. I also didn't call for antimatter ammo. So we surprisingly quickly burned his armor down to 50% and it didn't really feel like he was repping. He had EC-300's out at first. I saw drones in overview and called for fleet to switch to stop them from peeling tackle. Scout had to warp off at that point and bounce and he recalled the ECM drones at the same time. He then launched heavy drones. This was all the time it took to get him to 50%. I ordered fleet to shoot the heavies and we started chewing them up pretty good. We killed 4 caldari wasps. The 'geddon pilot recalled shortly after launching and began aligning out. He warped off to a gate. We followed and beat him there, with scout going through to the other side of the gate.

However, he must have still had a timer and so couldn't jump through. We waited to see what he was doing and I Didn't call for shooting because I think he forget he couldn't jump through, and then so did I (that he couldn't jump through yet) and I didn't want to lock the fleet on the wrong side of the gate for another 60 seconds. I also don't remember what his flashy status was and if we would take gate guns or not. I seem to think that we would take gate guns, and so was hesitant to fight a slug match with lots of people bouncing due to guns, but perhaps he was an open target. He warped off the gate to a structure and docked up.

We continued on our way to close the circuit and scored a nice VNI kill in Agoze. It was a little messy. There was a cloaked Falcon I think it was, above us at like 100km. Some of us warped up to 100km off someone that had popped up to a 200km tactical, hoping to decloak the cruiser.
Someone, not scout, reported a flashy VNI jumping into us on the OST gate in Agoze. I ordered short range ammo, orbit gate at 5km and Adrien, who had reshipped into an inty, to grab tackle as soon as the VNI dropped gate cloak. Everyone not on the gate, prop mod on and burn away from the gate until >150km, and then warp back to the gate. Most of us had the time to get back as 15 people were on the kill. As soon as the VNI dropped cloak, Adrien had point (mad fast man!) and we all started in on the VNI. GF to the poor chap (already lost his Deacon to the Maller fleet mentioned previously) and after his unlucky jump into us, headed off in his capsule.

As everyone was regrouping back to the gate out to OST, a Vindicator warped onto us (jumped from other side?). We still had ~15 seconds or so before we could jump through. We then had a prophecy also jump in and a 3rd ship perhaps? After about 10 seconds to see what these folks were going to do, I had everyone that could jump, go through into OST. Everyone still having a timer, to bounce off a tactical or celestial, and then warp to and jump into OST, with everyone in OST ordered to hold gate cloak. I heard that the Vindicator and Prophecy had jumped into OST with the bulk of our fleet, but didn't hear of any aggressions against us. Stragglers, including myself, that had bounced off the gate to burn remaining combat timer made it into OST pretty quickly. By the time I got into OST, the in gate was clear. The hostiles being potentially right on top of us, but unclear if they had warped off, I ordered an align to Stacmon and gave the all clear for LSC peeps to head off to UPH as desired and then took the rest of us home to Stacmon.

We ran a little short today, but considering how little sleep I got after a long weekend and travel, that was ok with me. A handful of people continued to hunt in Agoze and OST I think, but any losses or kills they got are not included here.

Good:
* Didn't lose my nerve in the fight against USUCK. Calling targets and broadcasting was slow, but I feel I did pretty good at maintaining an at least modest flow of target calling. A lot going on there, really quickly, and while I was slow at times, I didn't feel the "ahhh what do I do, what do I do" of previous fleets. We landed, they started decloaking, and the fight started. We had pretty solid opening position and so had some good time to dps while being out of their optimal from the gate as well as the being out of position for them after they boosh. I think they had to wait for us to burn away a bit before they could boosh to us. If they had waiting for us to burn away longer, they could have gotten more on top of us and probably killed a lot more of us.

* Thank you again to the people that helped provide contracts for ships for the fleet. Ya'll are awesome and are a huge help in providing content for fellow students.

* Thank you to Decklin, I think it was, that suggested scan res scripts and antimatter for situations where fleet is on top of gate to provide opportunities for blapping small stuff that comes through while we are waiting on a gate.

Bad:
* Should have been more decisive on the potential Worm gank.

* While we started the fight with USUCK in a good position, I didn't maintain it over the course of the fight. Instead of burning away while aligned, I think I should have called for fleet to anchor on me and maintained that nice 50km range on them, keeping them from booshing onto us. They are gonna be faster and could then just burn at us, but that would kill their traversal and we might have gotten another kill or two before they got too close and we would have had to warp off. I rely a lot on individual aligns for skirmishing fleets and could probably stand to do a bit more anchoring.

* Should have called for short range ammo on the 'geddon fight. Should have specified I wanted fleet to orbit at 25-30km so if they do get primary'ed, they can MWD off a bit and bounce. Should have not switched to drones, and instead called for overheating guns and to continue to burn the 'geddon. Forgetting ammo swap and being too conservative probably cost us the kill. Perhaps he was hull tanked, but outside of that, we very likely could have rapidly burned him down and traded extremely favorably if we could have gotten the kill before he warped off.

Some thoughts on the doctrine.

Longbows feel like they kinda suck for the more traditional "scout plex, tackle, blob in" low sec fighting. We did a lot better when we could get fights in open space. Perhaps in low sec the fleet would do better to have a small assault frigate/t2 logi frigate vanguard for plexes (but then you have fewer longbows for fights where longbows work well). Running around low sec on gates would be fine, but might miss out of a goodly chunk of content from poor 'plex capabilities. Talwars feel like they work a bit better here because they have high alpha so you can blap stuff off gates instead of trying to (rapidly) chew stuff up w/ Cormorants. Longbows feel better at faster, more wide ranging fleets where you are focused more on finding other fleets / gangs to fight more than traditional plex content or as Raido has mentioned to me, 3rd partying on other people's fights, especially in null sec.

It was fun, and I'll probably fly them again, but next time I'll probably fly longbows a little differently to try and capitalize more on the strengths of the doctrine.

Roam members (18)
Spoiler
Adrien Claremont - Cormorant, Stiletto
Atticus Vex - Cormorant
Avrin Dennard - Cormorant
Bora Vyvorant - Cormorant
Carl Misjekis - Cormorant
Decklin Quark Reiger - Cormorant
Eadrom Vintarus - Cormorant
Erwin Madelung - Cormorant
Kora K - Cormorant
Monarch Guardian II
The Jojosh - Maulus
Troven Smalvard - Malediction
Union Pivo - Cormorant
Yrgrasil - Cormorant
Zoltan Irvam - Cormorant
Zykey Jovakko - Cormorant
ashahara - Cormorant
averoth trojan - Cormorant
Kills and Losses

(18:40:33) Nennamaila
Punisher +5.66m
Cruor +76.15m
Cormorant -14.87m
Cormorant -15.17m
Cormorant -11.15m
Cormorant -14.88m

(18:53:43) Oinasiken
Algos +10.94m
Capsule +0.01m

(19:21:13) Agoze
Vexor Navy Issue +225.12m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 317,871,372.87
ISK Lost: 56,069,771.51
ISK Delta: 261,801,601.36
Efficiency: 85.006%
\o/ Retired \o/ Director of Special Projects - NSC, LSC, Solitude Campuses, and the Fleet Command Course
Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!
Looking for small gang PVP and BLOPs'ing? Look at J-Drop today!

Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] Longbow Cormorants - 2018.04.30

Post by Troven Smalvard »

The Geddon was actually a Bhalgorn, but meh, still couldn't hold him.
Although didn't get alpha capped which i thought i would, he was using nos not neut, but a heavy should still wipe out a inty with Bhal bonuses?

other than that, i know the call for the worm was early and you were still getting people in a row and up to speed, no big issue, just lost my gate cloak and he could see us too long waiting, pity didn't grab the thrasher that went for Dek though.

i was the other side of the gate for the HCOOK fight so can't comment on positioning during, but your set up and plan seemed clear and executed well to get on grid in position.
Target calling throughout was was clear and calm, so good job on no panicking.
- When they jumped on you and closed to short range, would a fleet warp to what you were aligning to not be better than calling scatter? since everyone was anchored.

felt like decent pacing to me, other than cookie and handlebars space was quiet, so I wasn't hanging around really to try and grab solo tristans et al when we had a good number.

in my head we had more dps as a fleet than it actually probably did, next time i'll get a better idea of what we can break before we set out. but you gave me a clear brief on your intentions

trying to 3rd party on the gate was solid, although quite a few people our side had to warp due to gate guns, when 80% of the enemy targets were flashy and we are squishy maybe try and change target priority so your not losing people to repositioning.
(easy to say from the arm chair today i know you were trying to break what seemed squishy first as lack of deeps and they had logi - but would be my constructive to improve)

fun fleet, relaxed comms when quiet and quiet from the rest when combat comms - good job all round
and we all go to laugh at Deklins sloppy probing at the end back in UPH
ImageImage ImageImage