[WHC] Baited on a Gno... Megathron

Biwako Acami
Title: Assistant Manager (Fittings), Ensign, Graduate, Management

[WHC] Baited on a Gno... Megathron

Post by Biwako Acami »

Small Fry
We were hunting a Venture and an Algos in Bacon in Astero's. We missed an opportunity to grab both because the site they started huffing was already activated while they were trying to assess safety. With all this activity we saw a third party Hecate on D and it started combat probing these ships. Our targets left the wormhole spooked. I sent my alt to sit in an interdictor on *Bacon and headed back to Innuendo.

The Bait
The Hecate reships to a Gnosis and warps to the Sun. Meanwhile, his scouts scan the system and find *Bacon and jump through to Innuendo. I notice from his killboard that he roams with 4-5 people. A ping goes out to engage the obvious bait Gnosis in Bacon but we don't get enough in time and the Gnosis warps out. Later the pilot returns in a Megathron and begins dipping into wormholes making it look like he was rolling. He makes one pass through *Bacon and then heads out. We decided to catch him on the second pass.

Getting Caught
As he lands the second time I notice he has blasters. This indicated it was most likely a combat fit Megathron. He jumps through and my alt follows, bubbles and gets scram to prevent the MJD waiting for our battleships to land. Our Legion gets caught by the Megathron away form the hole and is grappled at point blank. The Sabre careless drifts away from the wormhole and gets caught by a penetrating shot just ~90m from the wormhole. As I jump the pod through I notice that enemy Brutix Navy Issues had jumped through and enemy Exequrors were also on their way. A second ping goes out. Troven disengages by MJD'ing his battleship out. I misheard and stayed on and got tackled in my Armageddon. I ask for help when I notice that I'm only tackled by one BNI but I really meant to ask for peel because Sagittarius mentioned he was getting a Blackbird. Again miscommunication and I inadvertently, with my cry for help, coaxed Irrilian to warp his Sacrilege into the fight. The tackle swaps over to the Sacrilege and I am able to MJD out. Not the trade I wanted.

We tell them we don't have enough to take on their fleet and they give GFs in local and leave.

ISK Lost: 1.13 Billion
https://zkillboard.com/related/31000382/201804290500/

Positives:
  • People on Comms could take a loss without any negativity
  • At least a few responded to a Slack ping
Negatives:
  • Half FC: We didn't have a better plan than engaging the Megathron at the wormhole. I followed through to engage and was expecting to be there alone till battleships landed but our Legion was stuck in the bubble and was off the hole. Battleships were in warp immediately after the Megathron jumped so the rest of us committed to the fight until the BNIs showed up. We should have assigned a proper FC for the engagement and worked on common objectives instead of having too many independent pilots.
  • Scout: We didn't scout their wormhole or activity from their side before engaging. This was a big no-no and something I just talked about in another AAR /facepalm
  • Communication: I misheard Troven's call to decommit and I feel guilty about the plea for help. I would have gladly given up the Armageddon and asked the Sacrilege not to warp. I should have known better and phrased the request for peel better.
Just a humble scout