AAR Miner with a raven

Sterling Boirelle
Title: Events Staff, Zen Master, Teacher, Sophomore

AAR Miner with a raven

Post by Sterling Boirelle »

In the Open House Wormhole we had a miner and a raven decide it would be a good idea to mine the ore we never use. When the Procurer warped into the wormhole i immediately engaged with my Gila alt taking off his shields and half armor before he could warp off to the ore site which was defended by a raven which i presumed to be pvp fit. So i waited on the high sec hole with my pve fit gila calling for someone to make the 1 jump to jita to buy a ferox pvp fit. Hargrave answered the call and bravely warped in with me to the ore site to kill the lone procurer who managed to warp off to what i assumed was the wormhole so i followed.

Drones were left at the site during this warp and the miner was not at the wormhole but on Dscan. I set Dscan to 90 degrees and determined the target was at planet IV. Ferox pilot warped in to see if they were there or at a moon. Turned out they were sitting on the poco and the ferox pilot engaged solo while i sat on the hole. We had a minor miscommunication as to if he was in combat or not but we corrected that in time. The ferox was into armor when i landed on grid but still had the raven scrammed So we were able to kill it with our combined dps.

The crazy thing is the miner landed on the wormhole when i warped to engage the raven but then chose to warp back on grid with the gila and ferox which almost netted us a second kill but the miner was able to warp off before we could land scram.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/69602065/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/69602073/
Last edited by Sterling Boirelle on 2018.04.28 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
SP determines what you can fly not where you can fly.
Hargrave Hulmais
Title: Freshman

Re: AAR Miner with a raven

Post by Hargrave Hulmais »

I was on my Alt (Renita) and this was my first real pvp.

Things I Learned:
--Recall the drones before chasing the enemy that just warped out
--PVP from work without Mumble is not necessarily a great decision
--Engaging in combat warrants more than "they are here" in chat. (Better: "I'm fighting them at VI" )
--overheat is not ctrl-click, dammit

Thanks to Sterling for having confidence in me when i said "you know i'm completely new at this, right?"

Great experience!

-Hargrave
Sterling Boirelle
Title: Events Staff, Zen Master, Teacher, Sophomore

Post by Sterling Boirelle »

lol true hero getting in fleet while at work
SP determines what you can fly not where you can fly.
Biwako Acami
Title: Assistant Manager (Fittings), Ensign, Graduate, Management

Post by Biwako Acami »

You'll find these strange day trippers once in a while. Not sure what he was going for in Cruise fit Raven with no tackle and no lows. He might have wanted to clear the NPC spawn.

You generally have time to reship from your own citadel as long as there are no bubbles or bubblers on D. If you don't have combat ships ready and have to rely on highsec then that's bad in the long run. You should keep a few ready. You don't need big ships sometimes. Just ask this guy.

While the engagement went in your favor this time, if these were bait ships out you'd have given up a free Ferox and Gila. Generally you want to know the whole situation before engaging.
  • Are there new signatures( possibly wormholes)?
  • Are they from a PvP corp?
  • Do they look baity?
  • Do the pilots have previous zkillboard activity to indicate how their ships are fit?
  • What does the Raven have in highslot?
In your situation my advice would have been to dock up, undock a scout ship, get eyes before making the decision to engage. Of course, there's a chance that doing this would spook them but it's usually better to be safe.
Just a humble scout