[WHC] We're all Gonna Die

Narthe Raytei
Title: Graduate

[WHC] We're all Gonna Die

Post by Narthe Raytei »

Round 1:
An Osprey Navy Issue warped to our citadel at 100. We decided to chase it first to the sun, and then to bacon. Bubbles were called and Cyus took up the job. He managed to beat the osprey to bacon just about, drop a bubble, jump and bubble again.
The Osprey had different plans however... It MWD'd at like 3,400m/s or something and pulled massive range. Zana came in with his malediction and grabbed point, and then after further encouragement, closed in for scram.
This gave me the ability to warp to him and then grab heavy scram, allowing him to bug out as RLML's hurt. He managed to get out in very low structure whilst i held tackle.
Looking at the fit afterwards he was having to use his ASB's against me, but conci came in with an Oracle and helped me blap him. As he was dying however a wolf came in, initially going after conci.
Thanks to the Wolf's piloting and my faction scram i was able to land the scram and immobilize the wolf, we started killing it and after burning through/waiting out the ADC timer it died.

https://br.inyour.space/?s=1001131&b=8046420&e=119&t=e 149mil killed : 0mil lost.

Round 2:
Shortly after killing them they started upshipping and bringing more numbers. Initially we called get out.
After a while of just watching their numbers grow and shinier things come in we were looking at blueballing them. Some motions were thrown around and we asked for FC's but nothing was going anywhere quickly.
Eventually i begrudgingly decided to and we called for Nano Doctrine.
We got together 2 oracles, 2 Hurricanes, 1 Ferox, 1 Scythe and 1 Caracal.
Vs that: https://adashboard.info/intel/dscan/view/gjA8nG9H

We took a while to form, a long while... But eventually we pulled our socks up and moved off towards the connection, totally expecting to die but hoping to bring something down with us.
Jumped in, Overheated MWD in a certain direction, Anchored on myself and started shooting. We managed not to lose anything burning off the hole and started laying dps into their fleet.
Their setup had changed by this point but either way, was still fairly scary.
Through various event that i can't fully remember due to focusing on other things urban got caught by the Ashimmu and then the Scythe Fleet issue. We took this opportunity to focus those two ships and managed to kill the ashimmu. Our Scythe died and then their SFI managed to warp out in low Structure.
At this point we just continued fighting and shooting what we could, Keres Damps and Kitsune jams were annoying us but we were still able to fight.
Fight continues and eventually we've killed enough stuff that they decide to bug out and leave gf's in local.

https://br.inyour.space/?s=1001131&b=8046540&e=90&t=b 1.08bill Isk Killed : 22.79mill Isk Lost
Pros:
Overall very good flying and piloting by people, managed to keep out heads together, coms clear and focus on what we were doing.
We didn't die in a ball of fire like we expected, we actually really took it to them and did very well.
We also only had 1 point called during that entire fight which proves that points aren't always required since people can misjudge their warpout times and tanks allowing us to get kills.

Cons:
Formup took soooooo long. Like, incredibly long. If that was another group who were less patient we wouldn't have got a fight.
Some FC commands were also ignored by certain people, while you might think that you know better than the FC, it's always good practice to follow the orders you're given. Discussions can be had after the fleet as to why certain things can be done better/differently, but ignoring the FC can cause problems.

Personal Cons:
Initially the call was to anchor on myself. while it did work out kinda well, it put the other ships at a disadvantage as my Oracle has a much longer engagement range and i was likely asking people to shoot further than they could. Not to mention that once someone got caught up by something they were effectively on their own.
"The music does not play the musician." Daniel Jackson - Stargate SG1

Nothing to see here
Conci Furiram
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Fittings Staff, Doooooooooooooooooooomed, Graduate

Re: [WHC] We're all Gonna Die

Post by Conci Furiram »

The Pros are easy to talk about here as the fight went very well. Solid and constant target calling and switching by Narthe and excellent logi piloting by Urban.

Let's focus on the Cons:
Anchored on myself and started shooting.

Some FC commands were also ignored by certain people, while you might think that you know better than the FC, it's always good practice to follow the orders you're given. Discussions can be had after the fleet as to why certain things can be done better/differently, but ignoring the FC can cause problems.
Anchoring in a small nano fleet puts ships out of position. 2 Oracles should try to stay at their Scorch optimal so they can screen for each other. Anti-tackle ships (Caracal and Ferox) need to position to push off or take out their pesky frigates; our enemy had two EAFs, a Kitsune and Keres, that operated unchallenged. Anchoring in small nano fleet can be useful training wheels for new pilots to learn about positioning, but it should never be required.

Personal Cons:
I (as an Oracle) spent the majority of the fight out of DPS range of the primary targets due to the Keres. This is my first time flying the Oracle in a full nano set-up and I was unable to stay in DPS range without frigate screening to remove damps or the danger of being scrammed by the Keres. A single EAF shut down my presence on field :(

I feel like I need more practice as it was hard to keep track of friendly positioning to stay close, enemy positioning to stay safe, and noticing targets of opportunity.
Narthe Raytei
Title: Graduate

Post by Narthe Raytei »

Conci Furiram wrote: Anchoring in small nano fleet can be useful training wheels for new pilots to learn about positioning, but it should never be required.
Agreed, I'd have loved to just target call and leave people to their own devices, but a fair few people voiced concerns of never having flown these ships and in this way before which is why I used an anchor.
"The music does not play the musician." Daniel Jackson - Stargate SG1

Nothing to see here
Jeracho Dorne
Title: Personnel Officer, Mentor, Graduate

Post by Jeracho Dorne »

Good AAR, nice read. The nano doctrine seems to work well we have had quite a few successful engagements with it. Possitioning does seem something we need to work on. Wish I could have stuck around to be there.
Graduate

Retired - Finance Manager - Assistant Diplomacy Manager - Low Sec Campus Manager LSC - Senior Personnel Officer - Solitude Campus Officer - Communication Officer
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Drake Shea
Title: Ensign, Graduate

Post by Drake Shea »

Great engagement, finally got me to get a shield ship. I am glad there was an anchor so I could focus on swapping ammo as needed and managing targets.
Uathraptor Unista
ImageImageImage