Spoiler
Claidheamh Mor Capercaillie - Taranis
Darth Galifreia
Erwin Madelung - Claw
Fergus Echerie - Taranis
Xafen Katapi - Crusader
Yrgrasil - Raptor
mattov Aubaris - Condor
So first try with kiting ceptors, i had also trained a bit scouting the week before, so i was at least familiar with some regions, and knew where to hunt and actually also how. Sadly we didn't had a good wormhole connection this time and went then to PUC-JZ (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Great_Wil ... #npc_delta) and started to go south.

Kills and Losses

We lost on the way our only t1 frig to npc rats, since he needed to go afk. Well, happens.

(19:43:46) CL-1JE
Condor -4.79m

On the way moving through Curse/Catch we saw a lot of AssaultFrig/T3D Gangs, and perhabs they even chased us, so we were a bit in hurry and more trying to escaping then searching for something to kill at all.

Short before the Break we checked some Side Pocket, and found a VNI which we killed.

(20:28:53) X-0CKQ
Vexor Navy Issue +113.12m

Afterwards nothing really interesting showed up anymore, except one Ishtar which we couldn't take since we did had enough damage. We went then back over Tenerifis/Immensea.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 113,117,216.47
ISK Lost: 4,790,994.18
ISK Delta: 108,326,222.29
Efficiency: 95.937%

- Catch/Impass is actually not a good Hunting Region, next Time i will go to Outer Passage and annoy Solar Fleet again a bit, since i know they have a lot of ratters out. But i tried to not do 30-40j before we even get there...
- The amount of Damage we had was pretty much on the Edge for VNIs, on the other side the setup itself seems to work at all.
- We did ~120 Jumps through 6 Regions in this Fleet - not bad actually. Would have been far less if we had found more i guess hrhr
- nobody was really falling behind, so i guess the fleet speed was fine for everybody

Thanks all for coming, next time we have hopefully a better connection o7
Fergus Echerie
Title: Solitude Campus Manager, Graduate

Re: [AAR] Solitude Interceptors [2018-04-13T19:00]

Post by Fergus Echerie »

Sooo,

Once again thankyou for dropping me straight into first ever Scout role on the fastest fleet comp possible :D It is the only way to learn and I need to go practice more, shame we had to run around so much with large fleets chasing us otherwise was fun again.

On the Scout front I do have some questions/comments/crazy ideas:

1 - In my mind a Scout (especially a +1) should be faster than the fleet and not really too concerned with damage or killmails, just tackle then bail and make safes.

Would this kind of thing work?
Spoiler
[Ares, Fleet Interceptor Speed]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Inertial Stabilizers II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Damage Control II

F-90 Compact Sensor Booster, Scan Resolution Script
Warp Disruptor II
5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive

Light Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II

Null S x1000
Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x1000
Once i've Interceptors IV it will point at 28k, travels at 10AU and aligns <2 secs (Blasters just for drones although if that happens prob dead).

2 - If I knew where we were headed in advance i'd create some BM's although realise this is difficult when using H2N WH and soo many jumps.

3 - I need to practice more, lots more....

4 - How do you find the gate so quick as sometimes I simply cannot see it for jumble os Sigs/Moons/Planets?
Solitude Campus Manager
Image Image Image Image
Yrgrasil
Title: Solitude Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

Post by Yrgrasil »

Fergus Echerie wrote:1 - In my mind a Scout (especially a +1) should be faster than the fleet and not really too concerned with damage or killmails, just tackle then bail and make safes.

Would this kind of thing work?
Spoiler
[Ares, Fleet Interceptor Speed]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Inertial Stabilizers II
Damage Control II

F-90 Compact Sensor Booster, Scan Resolution Script
Warp Disruptor II

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II

Null S x1000

Once i've Interceptors IV it will point at 28k, travels at 10AU and aligns <2 secs (Blasters just for drones although if that happens prob dead).
the fit is actually solid, but would go especially in the beginning for more tank. Also the sebo is sometimes nice, but if we are lucky enough to catch something, then that guy already messed up and is most likely not aligned.

For the beginning i would actually go for something like the following, left one rig open, either choose a Poly/Shield Extender or even an additional Hyperspatial. The weapon can be thrown out for even more speed or tank, but sometimes nice to have them against drones actually. If you really want the align <2s go for a intertial stab + Nozzle Joints i guess.

Also always go in with a heated point on initial tackle, so you should've ~32km or 36 with All V then later.
Spoiler
[Ares, Ares]

Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Overdrive Injector System II

Warp Disruptor II
Medium Shield Extender II

Light Electron Blaster II, Null S

[Empty Rig slot]

Nanite Repair Paste x100

Fergus Echerie wrote:2 - If I knew where we were headed in advance i'd create some BM's although realise this is difficult when using H2N WH and soo many jumps.
Just make it a habit to bookmark on these fleets, you will have a huge amounts of BMs after a while everywhere in EvE. Scouting beforehand probably just scares something off.
Fergus Echerie wrote:3 - I need to practice more, lots more....
well, today i let you not really scout since i was a bit in hurry :D Don't stress it actually, and optimal is btw. that we've more than one scout. Also this +1 is not the best way for this kind of fleet, more likely +3/4 and the scout just moves ahead on its own. We will get into that if we've more numbers and are familiar with this stuff i hope :)
Fergus Echerie wrote:4 - How do you find the gate so quick as sometimes I simply cannot see it for jumble os Sigs/Moons/Planets?
I've nearly all the time the scanner map open, if you hover over the gate in the overview it gets highlighted in the map. Not sure if you meant this?

--

And yeah i hope we get some better hole next time for less warping around and more hunting. Glad that you enjoyed it still.
Fergus Echerie

Post by Fergus Echerie »

Nice fit, ty I'll look into that
Also always go in with a heated point on initial tackle, so you should've ~32km or 36 with All V then later.
Something else I need to remember to do
if you hover over the gate in the overview it gets highlighted in the map. Not sure if you meant this?
Knew there would be something simple I was missing!
Solitude Campus Manager
Image Image Image Image
Jun Mikoto
Title: Freshman

Post by Jun Mikoto »

Scouting +1 seems to neutralize the biggest advantage of the doctrine? Would this shotgunning tactic (all jump in, spread warps to belts etc.) not be more appropriate?
Fergus Echerie

Post by Fergus Echerie »

Guess it's whether someone ratting is more or less likely to dock up if 1 enters local as opposed to 8+.

I know when I'm ratting 1 neutral in local and I may align out and watch, a whole group and I'm off :-D
Solitude Campus Manager
Image Image Image Image
Yrgrasil

Post by Yrgrasil »

Jun Mikoto wrote:Scouting +1 seems to neutralize the biggest advantage of the doctrine? Would this shotgunning tactic (all jump in, spread warps to belts etc.) not be more appropriate?
That depends mainly on Numbers actually, in Null you've easily 30-40 Anoms in Ratting Systems, with just 7-8 People its not that easy to shotgun these systems effectively. I tend actually to call in the fleet to warp to all Mining Anomalies and dscan down the Combat ones manually.
Jun Mikoto

Post by Jun Mikoto »

Yrgrasil wrote:That depends mainly on Numbers actually, in Null you've easily 30-40 Anoms in Ratting Systems, with just 7-8 People its not that easy to shotgun these systems effectively.
:idea: i see the problem.
Breeze One
Title: Lieutenant, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Breeze One »

Just quickly, you generally only need to Shotgun 6-7 sites in a system max. You don’t shotgun all of them, you prioritize high value combat sites - havens and sanctums etc which are the ones people run first (and most often). No one is running a low value site while there’s like a Rock Haven in system for example, so you can instantly rule out most of the combat signatures.

This way, you can easily still shotgun a system with 6-7 people. I agree with Jun btw, if you’re flying this +1 style, you’re not really using it to it’s strongest potential (or how it’s designed to be flown) Give it a go.
Jun Mikoto

Post by Jun Mikoto »

Fergus Echerie wrote:Guess it's whether someone ratting is more or less likely to dock up if 1 enters local as opposed to 8+.

I know when I'm ratting 1 neutral in local and I may align out and watch, a whole group and I'm off :-D
If you rat in a bc or bs the aligntime is more than a ceptor needs to warp on top of you.
Only if you ARE already aligned and on speed you have enough time to get away IF you stay 100% focused on the local ALL the time. Which is e.g. impossible for a guy like me. My thoughts always drift of if i mine or rat. People get bored by staring at the local, i'm sure its not me alone.

In addition, if i am aligned, I have to warp of to the station wether it is 1 or 10 entering the system.
Fergus Echerie

Post by Fergus Echerie »

Fair points, think I've escaped twice and been killed twice in VNI.

Plenty to think about next time.
Solitude Campus Manager
Image Image Image Image
Yrgrasil

Post by Yrgrasil »

Breeze One wrote:Just quickly, you generally only need to Shotgun 6-7 sites in a system max. You don’t shotgun all of them, you prioritize high value combat sites - havens and sanctums etc which are the ones people run first (and most often). No one is running a low value site while there’s like a Rock Haven in system for example, so you can instantly rule out most of the combat signatures.

This way, you can easily still shotgun a system with 6-7 people. I agree with Jun btw, if you’re flying this +1 style, you’re not really using it to it’s strongest potential (or how it’s designed to be flown) Give it a go.
I need to strongly disagree, especially since we only hunted VNIs, we found this one in a forsaken hub for example, and i saw very often also VNIs running even Rally Sites, even if there were several higher Sites available. Also you need only just 30-60s to pin down a Ship in a Site with DScan normally.

If we would go for Snakes/Gilas or even Carriers, then yes, going for the highest Sites brings you normally the fastest result, but if you've the Damage for this, you often just skip cheaper Ships.
Breeze One
Title: Lieutenant, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Breeze One »

Its your call, but as people have brought it up, I think its useful to understand how this doctrine is designed to be flown, even if you choose not to fly it that way. Its fundamentally designed to use the speed of the Ceptors specifically to beat Null intelligence channels. Shotgunning is a fundamental aspect of that strategy, because Null ratters who are smart, will dock up with a single neutral in system, same as they do with 8.

You will still get kills by not shotgunning (as you have done) because many people are dumb and lazy when they rat. That's cool, and that's a solid fleet, and great fun. However its worth considering that thats not what this doctrine is specifically designed to do, and maybe there are better options for using +1 tactics

As I say, its completely up to you how you wish to run your fleets, but for the benefits of others reading I think its useful to understand how this fleet doctrine is flown by the rest of EVE, and why exactly its designed the way it is.

Its not at all a slight on your fleet, which sounds really fun (I love Combat Ceptor fleets!), its just a suggestion and something other people may want to reflect on when looking at this doctrine

8 guys shotgunning key sites has a higher probability of catching something than 1 scout. Its worth giving it a go.