Post by Ford Andedare »

Roam members (5)
Spoiler
Ford Andedare - Enyo
Insindios Hemah - Coercer
John Jones - Coercer
Nabs Hawk - Jaguar
Roxy Molou - Ares - Scout
Despite promising intel regarding increased PvE activity in a few systems, Syndicate was very quiet, until we came upon a cyno in TXW-EI.

I had already asked our scout (in an interceptor) to check the next system when I decided to take a chance on checking out a cyno in system. There was only one neutral in system and nothing on Dscan but the cyno was out of Dscan range. It seemed simple enough. We're in fast ships, if someone drops on us it should be easy to get away, right? What could possibly go wrong? I asked a veteran pilot (not in an interceptor) to warp to the cyno at 100 and report on what he sees.

An uncomfortable silence ensued and when I asked for an update, I was greeted with, "I'm about to go down. Yep, I'm down."

(01:17:32) TXW-EI
Jaguar -58.27m
Capsule -0.01m

It turns out there is a station in TXW-EI that is always bubbled and the owner likes to use a cyno as bait.

The sound you hear is me pulling the fish hook out of my mouth.

Now, we wanted to generate some killmails more than ever!

Unfortunately, the only thing we found was a single Atron.

(01:33:14) MHC-R3
Atron +4.1m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 4,101,324.61
ISK Lost: 58,280,450.96
ISK Delta: -54,179,126.35
Efficiency: 6.575%

We had already lost the pilot who investigated the cyno and another had to leave. With only 3 pilots remaining and content so lacking, I called the end of the roam.

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff) - The pacing was a bit better than the last roam. It was still slow, but it was better.
    (Positive stuff) - The fleet performed very well on the single kill we had, including ...
    (Positive stuff) - Our tackle pilot disengaged once secondary scram was in place
    (Negative stuff) - The roam was very ISK negative
    (Negative stuff) - Sending a non interceptor to go anywhere near a cyno was a bad decision.
    (Negative stuff) - I was not very consistent in how I issued commands for warping, jumping and scouting.
    (Negative stuff) - Not everyone in the fleet is on the killmail for the Atron. Once the ship was locked down, I should have called for a hold on DPS and confirmed everyone had locked the target and then called for damage to be applied.

I'll do better next time.
Image Image Image Image Image
Rohan Amadeus
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Kitchen Sink Roam - aka Fish Hooks Hurt - 2018.04.12

Post by Rohan Amadeus »

Awesome that you all went on a roam. I do have one question regarding all of this:

According to your roam list, your scout was flying an ares which should have no problems with bubbles in Null-space. Why was the jaguar the scout all of a sudden? It seems you guys planned it well, but upon execution decided to go with a scout who's ship could get bubbled. Using an interceptor or another cheap frigate to scout is always a good idea, especially if you're checking out a cyno.

Still, kudos on going out and finding content.
Ford Andedare
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Kitchen Sink Roam - aka Fish Hooks Hurt - 2018.04.12

Post by Ford Andedare »

Rohan Amadeus wrote: Why was the jaguar the scout all of a sudden?
Impatience and inexperience is probably the best short answer.

Our Jaguar pilot was already +1 into 5-F and I was (too) eager to find some content for the fleet.

The bubble wasn't visible on Dscan from our position and I'm pretty sure the station wasn't visible either.

It seemed low risk at the time as I hadn't even considered the possibility of a bubble being associated with a cyno.