Erwin Madelung - Algos, Atron
Mols Halleck - Magus, Griffin
Prince Tojo - Atron (Scout)
Rebulah Conundrum - Algos
Rikki Bigg - Malediction
Rutjosnabet Longworth - Atron
Toma Heleneto - Atron
Tye Etch - Algos
Zykey Jovakko - Malediction, Atron (Scout)
violer - Algos, Atron
Kills and Losses

Let's make this brief: Form up went relatively well. People still need to get accustomed with my way of handing out ships through trades. I do this, because I'd like to have control of final fleet composition and have reships available. To read up on the ship trading routine, look one post further.

We had around 30min+ of idle running around people's home systems and current GalMil focus points. We only found a Caracal fleet which I wanted to stay away from and found some potential action in Kinakka, but it took the situation too long to unfold, and I was expecting anything else than a fair fight coming our way, so I commanded fleet to move on. Akidagi was busy! We crashed a party at the small and our Interceptors caught a Inquisitor, despite having all of our drones on top of him, it took him a fairly long time to die.

(19:54:48) Akidagi
Inquisitor +7m

A 10 Punisher / 4 Inquisitor / 1 Magus gang came into us. We were in perfect defensive position, locked up 2 of the Inquisitors as targets, couldn't break the first one, and switching to the second one yielded similar results. Our Algos gang got overpowered. I'll talk about the engagement more in the lessons learned below.

(20:00:11) Akidagi
Algos -14.26m
Algos -9.42m
Algos -10.11m
Magus -83.33m
Algos -9.42m
Algos -8.86m
Malediction -55.54m
Algos -11.75m
Atron -2.65m
Atron -1.91m

Licking our wounds, we took a bio-break in Heydieles, to reship. I'll always have ships available for you guys in Ostingele and Heydieles and if we can get some funds together or me getting lucky with some PvE, I'll open up a reship center in Vlillirier. Missing critical mass for more Algos we did Ducklings again and with newfound courage, we went to Tama!

What happens next was pretty hilarious, after navigating through a total mess of 50-ish pilots on a Medium complex pounding on each other, which was quite exciting, we finally found a target of opportunity and made up for our previous defeat. No need for more details, guys who were there, knew what happened. It was pretty funny.

(20:42:00) Tama
Vigilant +500.53m
Atron -1.67m
Atron -1.65m
Atron -1.67m

Our last round of Ducklings went South, with fleet split up, we did call it a night after that.

(20:59:14) Deven
Atron -1.66m
Atron -1.67m
Griffin -0.94m
Atron -2.03m
Atron -1.65m

Stats

ISK Destroyed: 507,533,147.3
ISK Lost: 220,193,582.28
ISK Delta: 287,339,565.02
Efficiency: 69.742%

Overall Evaluation
  • form up relatively quick
    3 available interceptor pilots
    we had two people scout for us, thank you boys!
    Mols in the Magus
    Mols in the Griffin :lol:
    Ersin entertaining us in fleet chat :lol:
    one does not simply fight a punisher gang in small sized ships... and i'm done committing to them until they get nerfed.
    I felt split DPS and slight confusion in the Punisher fight
    Executing doctrines with +/- 10 people is not an easy thing to do, we had to leave logistics at home :(
PS: Thanks Mols for bringing the Magus. It's on my list to have Command Destroyers be an integral part of fleets. So, far we've not been able to break the critical mass for that Algos doctrine. Hope the reason for this and the pretty empty space tonight might have been Fan Fest and not my FC style :lol:

Lessons Learned - The Long Version
Spoiler
1.) Punishers: Retrospect, I can see no way of us every winning this Punisher fight, I wrongly overestimated our DPS and shouldn't have taken the fight. Even more sad now, after me having realized it. I'm taking full responsability there, but I also start to notice that Drone compositions with their heavy micro management requirements, giving newbro's the panic, potentially being the reason why today (and last time) our DPS was rather low/split.

My suggestion is that people grab a afterburner fitted Algos and go out to solo a couple of times, learning the ropes of the micro management, range keeping, and multi-tasking that is required. Getting comfortable with (and fast while commanding) the Algos is key.

2.) Guidance: Some people need more guidance, e.g. more broadcasts, fleet warps, or assisting drones. The reason why I am not doing those things is that I want to have alert and trained pilots. In case stuff goes south, pilots can quickly act on their own, I'm definitely not looking forward to fleet warps, but am open to broadcasting if you need it, what we definitely gonna do is assisting drones next time. I know it takes away a bit of your control, but i guess it's more important to win the fight (and assisting drones, really makes micro management for fleet easier).

My suggestion: Let's start using drone assist from now on and have FC or fleet members broadcast (thank you Ersin for todays broadcasting!).

3.) FacWar complexes - small stuff to keep in mind: FacWar complexes are dead space zones where people can not warp around. If you warp to a fleet member that is at a complex, you'll land at zero to gate.

4. Voice: Last but not least, newbros and newgurls never panic, I got you guys covered, I've a lot of experience regarding what we can do and what not. I'll always try to speak as much as I can, about what we'll do and how we gonna approach situations, however, I admit that sometimes I may have some blind spots regarding what needs to be brought up.

My suggestion: Speak up, ask away all the questions, use the chance to learn while we are idle running... but even more so before we are engaging enemies. I know you guys want to keep voice clear, but if you're unsure about something, ask away, unless I tell you otherwise or I'm in the midst of calling targets.

Thank you everyone for coming and our experienced bro's for helping out in fleet chat, broadcasts and voice. I'd like to hear from you some feedback, specifically, if you find my GalMil style FC-ing clear, or if you need more and clearer commands (e.g. like continuously repeating primaries, or how to fly / move during the engagement, e.g. pull range, keep stuff web-scrammed, etc.).
Last edited by Alexander Oromov on 2018.04.10 22:37, edited 9 times in total.
Alexander Oromov
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Mentor, Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Turtles Flock III - Tuesday, 10th of April

Post by Alexander Oromov »

As said, reading those routines is the best way to get accustomed with my FC form up style:

Fleet Routines

The less time we spend with administration of the fleet, the more we can indulge into combat. The routines below are nice to have.
Spoiler
Pre-Game Routine
  • Be at form up location early
    Have necessary refits available
Ship Trading Routine
  • Open trade with Alexander Oromov
    See ship name in trade window, e.g. A-HB ★ Arethusa 35
    Add displayed amount of ISK, e.g. 35m ISK
    Once in possession of ship, add rigs from cargo bay
    Insure ship
    Load ammunition and charges
    Don't rename ship
    Move into ship role's corresponding wing
Undock Routine
  • Check implants
    Check rigs
    Check insurance
    Check ammo
    Set up watchlist
    Set up broadcast settings
    Set up default "orbit" and "keep at range" distance
Intel Routine
  • Report intel using following scheme Who, Where, What (Local, Grid, 360° Scan)
Loot Routine
  • Trade or contract all loot to FC Alexander Oromov
Post-Game Routine
  • After fleet you can either (1) keep the ship or (2) trade it back.
    Don't contract ship
    Trade ship with a "#" between ship cost and ship name to indicate need for maintenance, e.g. A-HB ★ Arethusa#35
    Submit feedback through FCC Fleet Feedback
Zykey Jovakko
Title: Sophomore

Post by Zykey Jovakko »

Thanks for giving me the chance to put the scouting lessons into practise. The malediction loss was 100% on me being silly and getting involved in the losing fight when i should've stayed out of the way... lesson learned anyway.
Alexander Oromov
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Mentor, Sophomore

Post by Alexander Oromov »

Thanks Zykey, really happy to see you step up and scout for us. Regarding the loss, never worry as long as you can afford it. I'm planning the next practice around tackling and spiraling in on top of targets already, so there will be more opportunities to practice soon.

In the meanwhile, after the fleet yesterday I did a small thing regarding scouting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mNKpgK3t04

I was pretty tired already, but despite many uhms and some mistakes, I hope you can get some useful insights out of it (it's unedited and in 4k, so best watch it on PC on full screen mode if you want to track the mouse and read the overview and dscan). I might come up with a better video in future that is more worthy to show around, but for now this will have to suffice.