[QRF] NSC Structure Defense

Glen Burney
Title: Manager (LSC), Fittings staff, Ensign, Sophomore, Management

Re: [QRF] NSC Structure Defense

Post by Glen Burney »

The whole interceptor burst jam thing is an awesome idea, but since they don't have the same bonus to ECM strength that a EWAR hull has, we would need many more of them. Buuut, that said, a dual purpose tackle and ECM burst inty would be alot of fun, just warp into their ball, burst, then warp out and proceed with trying to tackle other stuff.

I agree that having a defined warp-out location would have been helpful. In-line doesn't really help since you stop when you leave warp, and alignment is all about speed, and is unrelated to the "direction" your ship appears to be facing when you start from zero. It did seem in that fist engagement that some pilots were scrambling to find somewhere to warp (or maybe they were bumping off Ravens?). I think my instruction was just "warp off", but without a destination, that order is incomplete :)

ImageImageImage
Most all-time kills by a Unista, more than 14k ships exploded, 4k more than the next best (heart Kelon)
Dairek Alamari
Director of Student Administration
Title: Community Director, Glorified Ombernaut, Nom De Jour™, Diplomat, Manager (AMC)

Post by Dairek Alamari »

Thanks for putting this together. This was my first PvP/Fleet OP, and was a great learning experience. I have to thank Michael McLaren for taking the time and effort to not only talk me into participating (as I felt I was diving in the deep end with no experience), but also for graciously providing me a ship which for all intents and purposes was going into the grinder.
AMC Manager for Life!
Director of Campuses / Communities
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Atomsk Agittain
Title: Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TM™, Sophomore

Post by Atomsk Agittain »

Glenn, I think the ECM bonuses on the Griffin hull don't apply here, as they are targeted jammer bonuses. When we did the fits I was getting the same burst jam strength as the Griffin.
Astar Kreth
Title: Freshman

Post by Astar Kreth »

Atomsk Agittain wrote:Glenn, I think the ECM bonuses on the Griffin hull don't apply here, as they are targeted jammer bonuses. When we did the fits I was getting the same burst jam strength as the Griffin.
I've just had a quick look and although the language on the Griffin's description talks about "Target Jammer Strength" the clickthrough links to the "Electronic Warfare" skill so unless I'm mistaken, the bonuses should apply to burst jammers although I agree there doesn't seem to be a difference in strength in the simulation...
Tiberius Auduin
Title: LSC Officer, Wanted by Fashion Police, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Tiberius Auduin »

Alto DeRaqwar wrote:
Astar Kreth wrote:If we had warped in, burst jammed and warped out to a BM which was on the same trajectory (i.e. away from the remainder of the fleet) we would have been able to achieve warp quicker (diagram 1) . As it was, many of us sought to about face and warp back to the fleet (which cost us a few seconds (diagram 2).
This would be a good plan if EVE physics made sense; but they don't. When you land from a warp you land at zero velocity; when you're at zero velocity in EVE you count as being aligned to everything. So no matter which way your ship is pointing you will still achieve warp out in the same amount of time no matter where you warp to; even if you warp straight backwards to the fleet.

The important part is the acceleration of the ships (to reach 75% velocity); reaction time of pilots and your ping to London.
When you exit warp, you do not exit at zero velocity. You exit decelerating to zero, meaning you keep your alignment. So you can mash "Set full speed" after coming out of the warp, or use radial menu to quickly warp to your "OUT" bookmark.
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Tiberius Auduin wrote:When you exit warp, you do not exit at zero velocity. You exit decelerating to zero, meaning you keep your alignment. So you can mash "Set full speed" after coming out of the warp, or use radial menu to quickly warp to your "OUT" bookmark.
I believe you officially exit warp (so your ship can start taking command) when you speed goes down to 25%.
I heard there is a bug that a click on 'full speed' sometimes is not accepted, so you need to spam clicking on the radial menu and when you notice your speed started growing can smash 'set full speed'.
Glen Burney
Title: Manager (LSC), Fittings staff, Ensign, Sophomore, Management

Post by Glen Burney »

The most important thing is probably to communicate to the pilots exactly where their warpout should be. It's far easier to execute a command when you know all the details. I have myself experienced the confusion when the command is, "warp out to somewhere" and you have to FIRST find a "somewhere" to warp out too, and my mind goes numb starting at my screen, because choosing a warpout point is a CHOICE, and CHOICES mean EVALUATION, and EVALUATION takes TIME.

So if the FC would just make the CHOICE for the pilot, then no time can be lost. The pilot executes the order.

All of this I actually discerned as I watched our poor griffins struggle to warp out to "somewhere" and the enemy Flycatcher closed in on it's prey. But I was helpless. I had given an incomplete order, and my pilots paid the price :/

Flybys may be able to give the pilots an extra second in alignment time, given the momentum towards the warpout, and I think the effect can be best appreciated if you are using, say, battlecruisers. But I believe there's an even greater impact when pilots are given explicit, detailed instructions, and that's on me :)

ImageImageImage
Most all-time kills by a Unista, more than 14k ships exploded, 4k more than the next best (heart Kelon)
The Jojosh
Title: Sophomore

Post by The Jojosh »

https://wiki.agony-unleashed.com/index. ... ers_in_PvP - Fly-by strategy for those interested.
An Orca Pilot

Post by An Orca Pilot »

Howdy!

C0NE FC Here!

<Rant>
I was going to post here as Darius, but your forums request a ridiculous level of ESI access that it just doens't need. I hope you're aware of just how much crap your IT guys are taking... this is ridiculous -- https://i.imgur.com/GrgFPah.png
</Rant>

On with my commentary...

First, one note that keeps coming up, bubbles do not prevent MJFDs from your booshers. You could have kept bushing while bubbled.

So, my take.

We were pinged by another group and asked if we were interested in hitting the Athanors (an evepraisal of the fits was shared with us, so it was hard to refuse). Our Cruise Ravens are something we've grown rather fond of, so we decided to use those. .UFC. (C0NE) formed with our friends in G0F1S in the Raven fleet, while the group that had contacted us originally (Rote) formed in Lokis. We came in and hit the first structure. We admired your tactics, although they weren't the best option given we were staying in a ball. The one pilot who got caught, shouldn't have been caught. There were better options that you could have gone with. The ECM Burst did temporarily cause confusion but, as others have mentioned, that's more commonly done on a ceptor to avoid bubbles trapping you.

We had a few missing ships in fleet and a few screw ups (like when the Raven died)... one of the bigger ones was when the triage jumped to the wrong cyno... luckily we had more on standby.

We were as surprised as you when Shadow Cartel showed up and seeing a few familiar faces in fleet, we reached out to them to determine their intentions, our first thought was that you had batphoned. There was some talk of brawling it out but, in the end, it was easier to just kill the shiny structures.

One thing that I'm not sure if you were aware of or not but you only saw about half of our fleet in system. Our reserves were pretty substantial and we were prepared for you to show up in bigger ships.

I know we're disliked due to our love of capitals, but if you're ever interested in talking tactics or having a conversation about it, I'm more than happy to discuss my take on it further.

~Darius.
Cryptic Sharvas
Title: Pochven Fleet Captian

Post by Cryptic Sharvas »

it is always great to hear the strategy from the other side.

In regards to the Booshing, I think the strategy used was to warp into the Pile of Ravens and then boosh. The bubbles, if I remember comms correctly, were preventing the combat scanner from warping the command Destroyers into the pile of ravens.

of course I'm usually just a Procurer Pilot.
Image ImageImageImageImage
Gerrik Aldent

Post by Gerrik Aldent »

I wish i could have been there! Seems like a well run fleet given the little amount of prep time that you had to put it up.
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Gerrik Aldent wrote:I wish i could have been there! Seems like a well run fleet given the little amount of prep time that you had to put it up.
If I see Glen runs a fleet: I rearrange my RL and join. His fleets are ALWAYS well run and very educational.