[AAR] Magic Merlins 2018.03.01 - Welcome to the Jungle

Harai Rex
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Sophomore

[AAR] Magic Merlins 2018.03.01 - Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Harai Rex »

Hey all! After much delay, the AAR for my magic Merlins fleet last Thursday is finally up! I am really sorry about the delay; I've been really busy with midterms at college these last two weeks, and wasn't able to find much time for Eve-related activities, including AAR writing. Because the fleet happened over a week ago and I don't record my fleets, my memory of what exactly happened is a bit hazy, so this AAR will be shorter than usual for me, just because I don't really know how the fights actually went down.

Roam Members:
Spoiler
Calder Ormand - 2IC, Vanguard
FragLord Ots
Glen Burney
Harai Rex - FC
Hawk Stjarnafrey - Scout
John Adams Viper
Megoste
Peter Pantaloons
Phaethonx Brutor
Prince Tojo - Scout
RankNine
Sagittarius Griffins - Vanguard
Wokum - Vanguard
Zykey Jovakko - Vanguard
The fleet undocked from the Kamela Beach House at 01:30, ready and willing to die for the sake of content. Kamela is always a hotspot, and it was pretty active that night, which meant we spent the majority of the fleet time staying in Kamela. This meant scouts were more decorative than anything else.

We found our first fight pretty much right off the bat. We went to a plex chasing a Thorax and a jaguar (I believe), but weren't able to find them. A gang of Thrashers had no trouble finding us, however, and we ended up having a very fun and intense brawl with them inside the plex. Fighting at 0, we were able to trade pretty well with them, and I think we held the field.

Federation Navy Comet -38.16m
Merlin -6.45m
Merlin -7.48m
Merlin -7.65m
Thrasher +4.84m
Merlin -7.67m
Thrasher +4.68m
Thrasher +33.52m
Rifter +4.37m
Merlin -7.38m
Thrasher +4.82m
Thrasher +12.77m

A few minutes later, the rest of the fleet had moved on, but Sagittarius got caught by a Tristan and a Purifier at the same plex from the previous fight. Oh well.

Merlin -10.96m

Shortly after Sagittarius's demise, we managed to find a Brutix Navy Issue just chilling at a large plex. The BNI was bizarrely slow to engage us back, so we were able to net a nice and shiny killmail for the loss of only one Merlin. Megoste reshipping into a Tempest definitely helped.

Merlin -7.67m
Brutix Navy Issue +225.45m

After we killed the BNI, some other locals noticed Megoste's Tempest in space, and brought in a big gang to kill it. I ordered the fleet to scatter, and apologized to Megoste for leaving him to his fate. At the exact same time, someone managed to find a lone Tormentor outside a plex, so we went to kill him. After popping the Tormentor, a Catalyst gang landed on top of us, popping one of our Merlins at the same time that Megoste finally went down.

Tormentor +14.61m
Capsule +0.01m
Merlin -7.56m
Tempest -226.89m
Capsule -0.01m

"HOLY CAPSULE ... Oh wait its not that good, nevermind"
- Sagittarius Griffins, 2018, upon killing a capsule that was, in fact, that good

The fleet finally left Kamela, and we managed to find some nice content in Kourmounen. Glen had reshipped into a Stabber Fleet Issue at this point, and that helped us to kill a Gnosis on the Huola gate in Kourmounen. The Gnosis pilot had a very shiny pod, which we were more than happy to relieve him of. :D There was also a bait Astero partnered with a cloaky Legion hanging around that gate, but the Astero was pretty bad at his job, and we managed to kill him without any losses to the Legion.

Gnosis +85.85m
Capsule +365.42m
Astero +211.55m

We took a quick bio break 02:30 - 02:35, and then hopped right back into the meat grinder. We found a Tempest sitting outside a plex in Azrad, and went in to try and get another shiny killmail. Unfortunately, the Tempest was able to tank all of our dps, and brought in some cruiser friends that were too much for us to handle. All of our Merlins got out; Glen's SFI wasn't so lucky.

Stabber Fleet Issue -89.49m

When we headed back towards Kamela, we found a nice friendly gatecamp waiting for us in Lamaa. Fortunately, we were able to get the upper hand on them with some clever use of gate mechanics and gate guns, and nabbed a few kills off of them on the Kamela side of the gate.

Catalyst +24.33m
Inquisitor +6.42m
Inquisitor +4.05m

We then found ourselves sitting on the Kourmounen gate, when a flashy Worm jumped through! Thanks to Glen and his instalock Thrasher, we were able to catch and kill him, adding another shiny killmail to our tally for the night.

Worm +93.12m

We then poked into Auga, where our scout spotted a Vigilant on dscan. In the process of chasing him, we managed to land right on top of a confessor, which we promptly killed. We never did catch the Vigilant, but a Confessor is a nice pickup.

Merlin -7.55m
Confessor +66.73m
Capsule +0.01m

We ended the roam with a three-way brawl in Kamela. I was pretty tired at this point, and off grid for about half the fight, so I'm not even going to try to recall what exactly happened here. We killed some, we lost some, and that was the end of the fleet.

Thrasher -16.98m
Merlin -8.36m
Merlin -7.58m
Merlin -5.63m
Merlin -7.6m
Merlin -6.44m
Merlin -7.58m
Merlin -3.6m
Breacher +12.07m
Merlin -8.41m
Punisher +4.01m
Caldari Navy Hookbill +27.75m
Retribution +64.07m

At 04:00, I called the fleet finished, after 2.5 hours of near-constant motion and content. :)

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 1,270,443,933.41
ISK Lost: 497,120,327.92
ISK Delta: 773,323,605.49
Efficiency: 71.875%

This fleet was a whirlwind. It felt to me that the fleet was pretty much never stationary, and everyone was constantly fighting, chasing down targets, or reshipping at the Beach House. Kamela is a great place for content, and this fleet was tons of fun. Thank you all for joining me tonight! Sorry about the scant description, I was pretty tired that night (and am pretty tired at the time of writing this AAR), so my memory is pretty fuzzy. Feel free to add to the AAR in contents!

See you all around, and happy hunting o7
Sagittarius Griffins
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Magic Merlins 2018.03.01 - Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Sagittarius Griffins »

Pretty accurate description of what happened from my point of view (although, I don't particularly remember what happened either). How the fleet ended from my perspective:
We spotted a few frigs (and maybe 1 dessie) inside a plex
Vanguards and scouts went in for the tackle
I promptly died after being kited by a burst (if i recall correctly)
Somehow we managed to catch most of the frigs in the plex even after losing half the fleet

The fleet was definitely very action-packed and had my adrenaline pumping.

What I learned:
- A bunch of small frigs can do a lot and punch above their weight
- Kamela is a hot spot for low sec PvP
- Tristans are faster than I expected
- It is more dangerous than I thought to be outside of a plex (still not sure whether or not inside the plex is safer than outside)

Definitely looking to more frigate fleets coming soon tm