[AAR] HSC Mission Fleet 2018.02.05

Airsick Lowlander

[AAR] HSC Mission Fleet 2018.02.05

Post by Airsick Lowlander »

[FLEET] HSC Mission Fleet
05 FEB 2018

To: Ersin Orghuz, Campus Manager, HSC

Subj: AFTER ACTION REPORT FOR HSC Mission Fleet FOR THE PERIOD OF 05 Feb 2018 1940e-2150e

Encl: (1) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
(2) http://www.evepraisal.com/a/gge6z

1. General. Primary objective was to practice fleet maneuvers, follow fleet commands, introduction to [FLEET] specific comms, anchoring, and target prioritization. Secondary objective was to make some isk, and boost standings with HSC HQ area agents. I believe it went well as a learning exercise.

2. Fleet Synopsis. Starting at 1930 we formed up, going with armor doctrine (BLAP Vexor & BLAP Auguor) to maximize newbro participation, giving the newbro speech and ensuring cruiser or smaller ships (outside of boost ships) to maximize lessons learned. We undocked at 1945, with mission objectives outside of Amygnon to practice jump, warp, hold, align. We did four missions successfully with no casualties and docked back up at 2150, when some folks volunteered to salvage.

a. Topic: Awareness. Fleet-wide situational awareness (combat probes on D-Scan for extended periods of time while in a mission pocket and being being targeted by out of corp alt during maneuvers went unnoticed).
(1) Observation: While on grid, elements making proper use of their directional scanner and overview to notice possible threats are more aware of incoming danger to either their ship or their wallet in the form of wrecks and anchorable items eg: Mobile Tractor Units (MTU).

(2) Recommendation.

(a) E-Uni Staff organize and schedule a Directional Scanner 101 class in the near future, as there is not one on the calendar for the month of FEB or MAR. Until that time, it is beneficial for anyone unfamiliar, inexperience, or rusty with D-scan to read: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Directional_scanning

(b) E-Uni members practice maintaining situational awareness on their overview when being targeted by non fleet/corp members and relaying to the FC. Anyone having trouble with their overview(colors help a lot for parsing information), can check out: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DlX0GxBfK-k/U ... 140422.gif alternatively, you can attempt to divine information from the wiki here: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Overview ... rview_Tabs
a. Topic: Comms Etiquette. Fleets that utilize proper comms etiquette while in a [FLEET] are more likely to maintain formation and hear required information. I understand that this was an inefficient mission fleet, but the reason to go to something like this is either to help out if you already know what you're doing, or to learn and practice properly in order for it to be second nature when it matters.
(2) Recommendation. All members should follow the guidelines here: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Fleets_1 ... ion_skills
All in all, it was a good fleet, with some lessons learned, and room for improvment. It was my first fleet, and I tried my best at balancing information and all the FC role responsibilities on top of normal DD stuff. This AAR might sound negative, I don't mean it to be so, I'm just trying to highlight areas which we as a group could improve on. Target prioritization was good, everyone did a great job on following fleet commands, staying as a cohesive unit, anchoring, logi cap chain, asking relevant questions, etc. I hope everyone had a good time and I will be issuing the contracts for payout soon™.
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] HSC Mission Fleet 2018.02.05

Post by Turlough Dominian »

Thank you very much for running this mission fleet, I showed up because when it comes to most things pve I am a noob which I am trying to slowly improve and for mission running has been over 3 years since i ran lvl 4's so its nice to slowly get back in the swing of it.

only thing really I would say is at one point you apologized for it being slow which is fine good manners and all, but just encase you felt bad for being slowish don't be I thought it was perfect you went over things to the best of your ability's answering questions and helping the new guys figure out what was going on even explaining the same stuff over and over again to one guy so you did awesome loads of patience and level head good e-uni fc material <3

good fleet ty o7
Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Quinn Sinjin

Post by Quinn Sinjin »

This is a really good AAR Airsick, and I thought you did a great job of FC, especially as it was your first time and there were a lot of interruptions. I'm going into serious mode now to respond to some of the points you brought up and share some of my observations.

Regarding Topic: Awareness - I admit to not D-scanning at all, to do so hadn't even crossed my mind, so that's my bad! I have so many questions regarding using d-scan and I have requested a class in the relevant thread. I only know the most basic of basics regarding dscan so I really need to improve in that area.

Suggestions regarding Fleet Comms - There was a lot of chatter going on at times; people dropping into the channel halfway through or talking about Logi related issues.

1. Would the Logi related talk been better suited to a separate Logi channel? Is this even a thing? While it's useful for people to ask questions and to hear answers so that we all learn something there is a point where it starts to become disruptive.

2. If someone drops into the channel halfway through it might be worth telling them to leave if they are merely curious as to what's going on as it can end up wasting everyone's time and it's already a well advertised fleet. If they want to join in it might be worth giving them a time and place where they can join the fleet and then asking them to either stay quiet until that point or leave until further notice. I am aware this may sound harsh of me to say, but if this is being run as a serious fleet trying to train us newbros into fleet awareness and mechanics don't be afraid to tell people to shut up and read the rules on comms etiquette! XD

I hope that what I've written above isn't taken as a negative criticism of the fleet. Like I said, I thought Airsick did a great job and I was really impressed with how he coped. I think he would be great FC material. I also have been on fleets that have had a far more relaxed comms policy and I don't actually mind people chatting as long as the FC isn't interrupted when giving orders. I usually try to follow the etiquette unless FC specifies that it's free comms, but perhaps it's worth reminding fleet members if the fleet is being run according to etiquette.

Also, please excuse any typos I've missed, I'm typing this (badly) on my phone :/

TL:DR 10/10 would fly for Airsick again!
Dilithium Tweaker
Title: Freshman

Post by Dilithium Tweaker »

This is the first time I've ran missions in a fleet with the Uni and I found it very informative. You did a great job explaining the basics and from the positive experience I've learned I'd like to participate more in these types of events. Thank you for the great fleet.
Weadj

Post by Weadj »

It was my first fleet, and tried to follow the group. The announcements were clear, and I really enjoyed this first experience in fleeting and playing with Unistas.
Good job Airsick.