[WAR] HSC's Four Hours of Campus Defense

Ersin Oghuz
Title: Campus Manager (HSC), Caw Caw, Ensign, Teacher, Graduate, Management

[WAR] HSC's Four Hours of Campus Defense

Post by Ersin Oghuz »

TL:DR : This After Action Report is a report that covers four hours of HSC Defense Fleet against "The Socket Was Closed". It consists, some excitement :OHMAHGAWD!: ,minor :raritydespair: and major mistakes :raritycry: , glorious moments :rainbowlaugh: , failures :fluttercry: , some rage from FC :cussing: and an apology :flower: . So grab your popcorn.

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

CHAPTER #1 - PRELUDE TO WAR

We were chilling in Amygnon and some miners just began to mine at Astreoid Field closer to Citadel 101. In the meantime we spotted several suspicious names in local, one in Ibis and the other one in Vexor. Even the vexor one warped to field and stayed on grid with mining fleet a bit. As I said it was suspicious and I began to roam around within region both lowsec and highsec routes to check any kind of wartargets. I already warned fleet and HSC about that and they were prepared to warp away at the slightest hint of danger.

I checked systems and when I was on my way back to Amygnon from Gisleres, I spotted wartarget in Jufvitte just in time! I mean really just in time since people were discussion what to do what if wartarget jumped into local and I jumped to Jufvitte and immediatly warned HSC about wartarget in Jufvitte. Moments later wartarget jumped into Amygnon but our miners were already in warp & docked. And couple of moments later +7 wartargets spiked Jufvitte and then Amygnon right away! That was a very close call and HSC succesfully saved its mining fleet without any direct confrontation and losses.

8)

CHAPTER #2 - FIRST BLOOD

I jumped into Amygnon and then immediatly called to fleet up. First I asked for BLAP Caracals & Ospreys with tackle and ewar but sadly we did not have sufficient Caracal & Osprey users to defy wartargets. Then I recalled for BLAP Vexors & Augorors and there were 4 Logistics and many Vexors with support ships available right away in fleet. So it was settled. We will force them to engage us around gates and try our best to tackle them at first not letting them to pull range or burn back to gate.

There was solo Drake loss at gate while we are still getting prepared. I appreciate the enthusiasm and eagerness you have, I really do, but please do not travel back and forth especially if there is large siege around Amygnon. There were all kind of reports on comms, and in chat channels. This loss really could be evaded. But that was the first of many...

Drake Loss : 71.5 million ISK Loss

We undocked and aligned to Jufvitte gate. Following to all fleet aligned to gate, we fleet warped to the gate to zero and start camping the gate. Our plan is to tackle them as fast as possible if they try to crash the gate and if they try to pull range we could exchange some fire with drones as well.

They jumped in after some time and then we engaged. We began shooting each other but it was revealed that our logistics could not stand against heavy incoming damage and we lost our entire logistics before we align out and warp to citadel right after. They persisted on grid heroically to save the combat ships and their sacrifice kept our combat ships safe until they warped away right after the destruction of last logistics.

Battle Report #01 : 87.50 million ISK Loss

In here I was mistaken about how much logistics I needed since apparently the incoming damage was higher then I originally anticipated. This was my calculation error and fleet lost logistics due to this error.

CHAPTER #3 - ASTEROS ON LOOSE

While we are re-forming the fleet, we lost two Asteros at gates which I did not really understand why. I was very busy reforming fleet and I am not sure whether those Asteros were the scouts or not. But here I need to state that wartargets and their composition were already deermined and we needed just two eyes on both sides of Amygnon / Jufvitte gate stationary. And being in a covops Astero is a huge advantage. All they need to do is warping gate at range cloaked and then moving to misaligned location on grid so no one could decloak them. I apprecite the effort but those Astero losses were far from ideal cases.

Astero @ Amygnon : 140 million ISK Loss
Astero @ Jufvitte : 130 million ISK Loss

So; if you have covops and if you want to scout the gate please be sure that you warp to gate tactical cloaked and always monitor grid. And please just remove the Sister Probe Launchers from those Asteros for scout duty. One third of the loss value comes from those Probe Launchers.

CHAPTER #4 - THE FALL OF BHAALGORN

We reformed the fleet with 6 Augorors, 10 Vexors, 1 Vindicator, 1 Bhaalgorn and support ships this time and we were ready to engage. The plan was same as before ; forcing them into scram/web range with our Remote Sensor Dampeners loaded with Targeting Range Dampener Scripts and hopefully Vindicator webs help to hold some ships until we got scram on them until their destruction.

Also we had a Stabber at the Jufvitte side of the gate ready to tackle anything if they red box the stabber. The plan worked and they engaged stabber but we did not respond fast enough to save the Stabber before he died to wartargets. However this sacrifice worked and we began exchanging fire. We fought long time and we managed to kill 3 Caracals, 1 Stabber and 1 Cynabal in exchange of 1 Stabber, 1 Vexor, 4 Griffins and 1 Slasher. Here Jacob did a very good job at tackling that Cynabal.

This engagement was going very good and I was keep telling people when to engage and when to stop. This continued for some time. I was asking to stop firing sometimes and then start again when I see fit. That might created some confusion in fleet members since they needed to keep track of all things and it was very tight situation.

We were very close to lose the Vindicator at some point since it pulled some range while trying to tackle wartargets but when I saw that he is going out of repair range I called him to return to gate immediatly with MWD on and called logistics to overheat repairs on Vindicator. I should say that logistics was very good in this fight and saved many ships from certain death by applying very good repairs. We kept exchanging fire for some time while they are at range and we are at gate.

When logistics said they lost one logistics, I said hold fire and disengage. Then second logistics went down. So logistics having hard time to recover capacitor chain and repairs again. Here I gave the order to jump but I disregarded the fact that we still have 30 seconds timer. Some was able to jump some could not. So fleet divided into two: fleet jumped into Amygnon and fleet at Jufvitte side. I called for scatter and regroup since we had no tackle on us yet. However Bhaalgorn got tackled and he still had timer. But it was not a big issue since Bhaalgorn should have some tank to persist until we warp back. I ordered the fleet in Amygnon to burn back to Jufvitte gate and jump on contact and repair Bhaalgorn asap and Jufvitte fleet to warp to Amygnon gate asap and persist to save Bhaalgorn. We warped back to gate only to see that Bhaalgorn was 100km away from gate and burning away. It was really bad situation and even we could rebounce from gate tacticals there was a propability of landing to Bhaalgorn one by one and face the incoming DPS without proper logi chain and repairs. When I was about to call to burn to Bhaalgorn we saw that it exploded. At this point I was extremely dissapointed. I call for burning back to Amygnon gate and then get ready to jump by disengaging and stop boosting. We retreated to Amygnon without further loss and docked up.

Battle Report #02 : 794.30 million ISK Loss / 335.20 million ISK Kill

There were some issues on this engagement :

- People calling "I am being yellow boxed" in fleet comms which clogs the comms channel a lot. Later we discussed this issue and it seems Fleet 101 lecture slide#12 is not very clear for new capsuleers. Being redboxed and yellow boxed should be explained. I also fail to explain what those terms means so that led some confusion. I warned people to broadcast for repairs when they are yellow boxed but some did not know what yellow boxing means. While in the heat of QRF I must have skipped some important points in newbro speech (very brief one) and this was my fault ultimately.

- The loss of 1st logistics was a shock and then we lost second. I think I should have tell logistics to overheat their hardeners if they are not holding. I told logistics to overheat repairs time to time but not hardeners. But I appreciate the efforts of logistics and I believe they did really good work since in my first logistics, let alone overheating hardeners, I forgot to active them at all ! :)

- Sensor Booster scripts. ECCM and Scan Resolution scripts were loaded but the opponent fleet had no ECM so I should have told that Logistics should script their both sensor boosters with Scan Resolution scripts.

- Bhaalgorn was lost since instead of staying at gate and waiting for timer or for us to warp back, Michael MJD out. That was not effective on two reasons. First, the opponent fleet is very fast and they tackled him again without giving him enough time to warp off. Second he did not mention this in fleet so we thought that he was still at gate and warped back to gate. And as a bonus since he was below 150km away (100km) we could not warp him right away. And sadly he was still moving away from gate. Following to this lost I was very dissapointed and I raised my voice and was very firm and I might be somewhat a bit rough (though I did not say anything bad to anyone or insult) and I expressed my dissapointment. If we could get exact intel about his situation we could have saved him.

In here I want to add this; I really appreciate your efforts Michael, really do. I understood that you could not talk in comms due to RL but can listen only and I respect that as well, and you are probably older then me so I honestly apologize in front of everyone here if I hurt your feelings or made you feel bad by being rude or in any way during fleet. So I want to ask from you :
- to accept my apology please,
- to understand my position on this case,
- and take this as suggestion: inform the fleet about exact situation asap so we could be more helpful next time.

CHAPTER #5 - THE LAST STAND

As you could read from previous results we had a very long talk and sort out few things to be more effective fleet. Our logistics (really they should get a medal not only to bear with me but to persist being logistics!) reshipped and we were ready to go again! This time I reshipped into Hyperion to replace the Bhaalgorn we lost and rest of the fleet stayed somewhat same.

We had a report that our old former PIRAT friend Mistani was also coming to Amygnon with the wartagets from Ouelletta, with his infamous Nightmare. I gave specfic orders not to engage him even he gets suspect timer since I know that his ship is very fast and deadly. He also brough a Magus with him. So when all fleets decloaked at gate in Amygnon, hell broke. It was close call but we managed to wipe out 2 Caracals in exchange of several frigates and Vexor, however others succesfully pulled range. We had a brief tackle on Cynabal at the beginning, but since we failed to land heavy tackle on it, the poor frigate exploded very shortly after he tackled the Cynabal and Cynabal warped off.

But here something weird happened. We saw one Orthrus was popped and then the next! It seems Mistani was not with them but was engaging to them. So our fleet succesfully ninjaed the killmail of those 2 Orthruses! :) So even though we were not the ones killed them, I think adding them to the deathtoll is the right move since it was within engagement protocols.

The engagement was going well and then it failed again. How you may ask? Well that was after I was greeted by two new fleet members in SHIELD T3Ds instead of Armor ships even though I SPECIFICALLY stated that I NEED fast tackle and/or Vexor. When the first T3D gone I became dissapointed but I kept my silence, but when we lost another one which was apparently for "Killing Drones" (against missile boats!) I called fleet to disengage immediatly. We were not tackled since the enemy was 50km away. I called align to the Citadel and then 5 seconds later I warped the whole fleet to Citadel and then we docked and ended the fleet.

Battle Report #03 : 215.6 million ISK Loss / 828.10 million ISK Kill

Here I am not going to repeat many issues but let me say this: Maybe next time someone brings an odd ship to a doctrine fleet I should make sure that EVE University fleet members are in the lossmail of that ship.

THE END
"In Blasters I Trust"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Re: [WAR] HSC's Four Hours of Campus Defense

Post by Turlough Dominian »

Preparing popcorn like requested:

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Capt Steele
Title: HSC Officer, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, Mentor, Graduate

Post by Capt Steele »

Is this seat taken?

(Edited after reading through)

Excellent AAR Ersin! I think it's fair to allow a little emotion during these types of fights; It was fast paced and high energy against targets we normally don't engage in a fleet fight.The adaption to their movements and keeping the fleet as a whole alive and in the fight was outstanding.

Communication is something I feel we all need to work on. I believe I may have been the first to state "I'm getting yellow boxed" but it was in context. (Damnation safely away from danger) -intended as an FYI. However I didn't think it would set the tone for the rest of the fleet to shout yellow boxed for logi which gets confusing quite quickly.

Regarding the Bhaalgorn: My personal opinion (hard opinion) is if you're going to bring a ship that's not in the doctrine, you need to know what you are doing. I joined the fleet a little late so I don't know if the Bhaalgorn was specifically called for by FC. There was a clear call to disengage and jump back to Amy; the Bhaalgorn was still firing guns this whole time. I think in the heat of the moment we all got a little frustrated with this massive loss for that fight; we are only human. For the folks who were out of doctrine and stated they knew what they were doing: Follow the FC's commands.

Logi was 100% on point for these engagements and we all would have been killed without their work. Excellent job to the Logi pilots!

I'm happy we engaged the war targets head on and even forced them to remain docked / trapped in Amy for awhile for some sweet revenge.
Last edited by Capt Steele on 2018.01.29 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Post by Turlough Dominian »

My little feedback when i was around , sorry was on and off like yoyo today

would be deep breaths if someone die's during combat don't use this as a time to explain or ask how they died get on with either killing stuff or escaping and definitely not a time to pull someone on it.
Communication was terrible today but is learning experience way too many people asking questions of how to do x,y,z during combat , outside of combat would be ideal.

but ye prittie much for the part's i was there really just communication problems on mumble that need some love, other than that I am happy i got on a caracel kill and some nice ooc nightmare helped kill a orthrus with me and 2 other uni bro's :D

Nearly died at one point they primaried me and I was way to slow broadcasting I saw the yellow and didn't hit till it went red, luckily I was in a prophecy so had extra tank to escape and not being pointed helped so warped off I did.
Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Vals Heluene

Post by Vals Heluene »

Spoiler
First time I didn't die :!:
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Looks like it started at prime time Russia so while fighting war targets can be fun, theres an element of choose your battleground and just deny them content until we get into our preferred time.

The MJD should have worked if Michael was aligned to something i.e. align, MJD, warp to align should have been instant on landing. But you're right Ersin, being in a shiny which may have a pivotal role has to be able to speak on comms.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Konstantin Grimm
Title: Freshman

Post by Konstantin Grimm »

FROM MINING TO MAULING:A Freshman's take on what happened

Today marked my first time running an event for E-Uni, an early morning (my time) mining fleet in Amygnon to help campus members make some ISK, mine some or, and for newer players, get aquainted with mining as a fleet with Orca support. So I am going to start off with a miniature AAR of that, since it was most likely the reason why this happened in the first place. We started at 1200. Because of the events and action of this past weekend, everyone was suitably wary (read: paranoid). everyone was keeping one eye on local, one eye on their mining, one eye on D-Scans, and one eye on intel channels (The majority of the miners are, in fact, bizarre mutations... don't judge). The mining fleet had been at it for an hour when we got word that we maybe had war targets headed our way. I was both happy and impressed by the fact that by the time the enemy showed in system 10 minutes later, the ore was collected, we were docked up, and Ersin had already started organizing a solid defense with a sound doctrine. For the next 5 hours we were at it as the FC kept the fleet focused and fighting as Ersin described. Mistakes were made, sure, on both sides, but we kept at it until FC called for us to dock up.

I logged off not much later after that and considered what happened for the next 4 hours.

Upon reflection, I honestly think one of the major issues that added to our troubles was fatigue. We were at it for a full 5 hours with minimal breaks. As much fun as it is to pretend, this isn't real combat, and we should be willing to dock up and take 15 to get up, stretch, ease our eye's and attend to any biological matters we tend to neglect as gamers. In the military, one of the main points of Boot Camp is to inflict this type of fatigue on recruits, so they can identify who can handle it and who will break. The fact that Ersin was able to command the fleet for that long, and maintain fleet coheision the entire time, is a testament to his skill and endurance as a fleet commander and should be applauded. Fatigue, however, is an insidious problem, as it affects everyone differently, especially if they aren't trained to deal with it, and it is up to everyone to recognize when the fatigue starts to bleed through. Irritability, over-reaction, simple mistakes repeated, second guessing, and slower reaction and cognative times are all possible symptoms, and they can cripple organized efforts like this. I have seen raids fail, fights lost, and even clans and guilds collapse because no one recognized the simple fact that everyone involved needed to just take 10 and recharge. The difficult part of this kind of fatigue is that it is almost impossible to recognize in yourself, not that you are tired, but because you are wound too tight. For myself, it wasn't until ate something, made a cup of tea, and relaxed a bit that I saw all the signs, both in myself, and others.

Most Fleet Ops that HSC runs last around 2 hours, so I don't believe this is something that is delt with often, but every successful hardcore gaming organization I have been a part of has made it a point to put guidelines in place to prevent this from happening. I would suggest management consider doing something along these lines as well.
Bethany Cartharsis
Title: Ensign, Freshman

Post by Bethany Cartharsis »

Outstanding AAR sir! o7
As one of the logi pilots I have to say the job was made much easier by everyone following our FC's directions and staying in formation. We can only rep what we can reach as it were. From my perspective the key to the logi functioning the way we did was the fast chain setup and the quick response time. Part of that response time was our FC calling for reps on specific ships he noticed being primary targeted. The only improvements I can see that need to be made are:
1: All Unistas brush up on communication skills and voice com etiquette
2: Newbros read up on fleet ops, attend the fleet 101 course, and LISTEN
3: All Unistas participate in as many fleets as you can as often as you can, practice practice practice
4: Don't forget to breathe
Kelle Damage

Post by Kelle Damage »

When we formed up our little Monday Morning Mining Madness fleet, little did we know what it would grow into :D

The first engagement they caught us warping in. I noticed them dropping gate cloak as we were landing. I don't think that we even had time to get cap chain and hardeners running before the entire Logi wing was down. This was mostly just bad luck I think, as they jumped into Amygnon right after we fleet warped to the gate.

We did much better when we had a moment to get set up :lol:

Much thanks to the Logi wing members! This was my first time flying logistics in PvP (and second time flying logi, period :P ) so much of the time I felt like I had tunnel vision on the broadcast window and the targets I'm repping interspersed with moments of I have no idea what the heck is going on.

Logi as a whole did an amazing job, but as Logi WC I could have done much better. I almost allowed the fleet to get out of range because I was hanging out near the gate while the fight was moving away. That may have actually been an issue in some of our losses, as I recall trying to target B4Rs and nothing happening. Also, when the FC says "Logi do their own thing," and I'm the one supposed to be doing that thing, and I'm not sure what that thing is, then maybe I should ask someone what that thing is instead of saying "roger that, doing my own thing is what I do best!"

I had a great time from the beginning to the end, and I hope all y'all did too! We'll get better the more we do this and it looks like our WTs are going to keep coming back. So keep those T2 Augurors stocked please, industry people :twisted:

~ K
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Hey Ersin, why is this classified?

Anyway, I understand why you are upset, but you don't need to he. Yes people did mistakes, fleet is isk negative, so what? Who REALLY cares? You guys in HSC are to learn and have fun!

Whoever used his fleet, its his choice, he clearly should not do obviously stupid things, but assume people are just overwhelmed, tired, etc...

Regarding a BS who MJDed away. It looks that if he stayed he would survive, but at the same time, running away is also an option. The only thing he should have done first is to align to safe bookmark (hopefully he has one).

Regarding t3ds tackles. Tackle pilot should not rely on on reps. They should be able to survive. Was it possible to survive any tackle against 8 t2 or faction cruisers? I don't think so, not even for ceptors.
Yes, t3d in defence mode did have chance, but looks like your opponents new what to do and bombarding you for hours they caught the moment of mistakes.

Don't take it do hard, was a good fight!

P.S. sorry for typos, writing from my phone
Willow K

Post by Willow K »

1. Everyone watch your overview if you are yellow boxed
2. if you have more than 1-2 yellow box, means 3-4-5-6
3. ask for reps so logi have the time to lock you, if they switch targets, we can unlock you
4. dont wait, to see 4-5 red, that means, bye bye life...
5. ask for reps, i saved at least 3-4 people today, they never asked for reps or they asked way too late if i didnt caught them from Watchlist (i had nearly all due fleet was small)

6. draw their attention with ship name "гнездо - дерьмо" - google translate "the socket is sh*t" so they came after me and not other logi's and it did work but i was prepared :)

7. Rage FC is part of the game... when people dont listen...
8. when we are fighting.. "Combat comms" so dont argue with FC or other players. you can argue after we are done and cool down as 4 hours was exhausting....

9. We are on war, get ships at amy (NOT ONLY VEXOR!) so FC can put together a proper Fleet... i got 20+ ships on Amy.... (i am new player)

10. i have done more than 10+ hours last 3 days with Defending Uni... so tomorrow i am taking day off.. someone else to step up on Logi position :
Ringo Degu

Post by Ringo Degu »

As a new-bro with a little over a week at the university I hope it’s ok to throw in some of my own thoughts here. I’ve broken them up into both fleet action feedback and observations/questions about war campaigns in general and the campaign against The Socket is Closed specifically. It’s a long read and if parts of it are moved to other parts of the forum I’ll understand.

Fleet action feedback
I think it’s important to remember that yesterday we had so many newer players. Some got their very first pvp kills ever, that’s how green we are. We were pitched against a fleet who repeatedly managed to make us engage them on their terms and knew exactly what they were doing. Within this context I think we did really well to go toe to toe with them as well as we did. Most of our kills were hard-earned and a result of good fleet work whereas our losses come down overwhelmingly on the side of miscommunication and individual error – it wasn’t that the fleet itself was beaten, (they broke and ran twice to our once but we left people behind and took forever to reform, they were way smoother) and a lot of that is thanks to the FC, Ersin.

That said, I would say that overwhelmingly the biggest issue we had was comms, which were occasionally seriously unclear – particularly during important, tense moments and I’m not excluding Ersin from this. Instructions were sometimes given and then instantly revised or corrected and it wasn’t always clear (to me at least) which one the fleet needed to follow.

Many of the individual losses came down to communication, be it the instructions themselves being unclear, misunderstood or ignored. That so many people were asking questions in HSC and Fleet chat and weren’t in Mumble further divided everyone’s attention and must really have made Ersin’s life harder. There were several occasions where ships were literally drifting away into danger and we had to type the instruction in fleet chat after realizing the pilot couldn’t hear us.

I know people have RL things going on or technical issues etc that prevent Mumble use but I wouldn’t want to have been in Ersin’s shoes trying to balance all those forms of input and instruction giving. It must have been so, so tough.

Another point related to comms and probably my biggest feedback for FC, is to remember that guys who’ve flown the ‘wrong ships’ or ‘made mistakes’ do need to be given feedback on how they’ve hurt the university (more losses = bad war isk ratio = others seeing us as a soft touch= more war decs = more lost new-bros being blown to pieces) but it’s also important to remember that their heart was in the right place, they were trying to help and they’ve just lost a ship that might have been a significant percentage of their total assets.

I would suggest that in cases like this the FC deliver feedback no earlier than 60 minutes after the engagement when everyone has had a chance to calm down. That might save having to apologise in an after action report later and also will certainly lead to more useful feedback.

War campaigns
I hope it’s ok to ask one or two questions about our current campaign against the Socket is Closed also.

Firstly, I’m sure everyone remembers the recent Iron Will fleet action. For those that don’t, we had a massive fleet that the Socket is Closed watched from a distance and typed mocking comments in chat about. They were never going to fight us, they can’t fight a fleet that big and it’s really my impression that they aren’t looking for a ‘fun fight’ they are looking to take us down in fights where they feel they have the advantage to make their war stats look good and grab some loot.

So why are we giving them fair fights? They only showed up yesterday when they spotted our miners. Is there not something to say for bringing the miners in, bringing alts out and laughing at them wasting their time in chat? I’d say learning when not to fight war decs and the usefulness of alts is also an important lessons for Unistas in High Sec.

Alternatively, let’s do mining events – but with a protective fleet that equals the one we assembled for operation Iron Will. Let them fight that if they want to. But let’s stop giving them the ‘fair’ fights they seem to enjoy so much.

There really is no reason to fight them. If we stop feeding them and especially PIRAT easy kills they’ll soon go away and when they do maybe we can carry out some war game fleet actions (in-house) of our own so that we’re better prepared next time and can try to scan down and snag a couple of easy targets of our own?

Again, I’m new and speaking from a position where I’m still learning. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the above – especially in cases where I have fundamentally understood a mechanic or principle.

Thanks as always to everyone at the Uni and HSC, particularly Ersin, for their continued support.

o7
Ringo
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Well, there are some best practises perhaps. On mumble, a fleet channel should be used rather than the campus channel but I think that was done. It should be everyone's behaviour not to join the mumble channel and start talking and asking questions, wait to see if comms is quiet and it's a good time.

In game chat channels should be the same. Not more than a fleet advert going in campus comms, people join fleet and use fleet chat.

FCs tend to overload themselves and not delegate. It could be that the FC should delegate to someone experienced to answer the newbro questions while they focus on the actual fighting.

If people are so green that they haven't been in any fleets it's understandable, but I'd say people shouldn't be joining these HSC response fleets as their only pvp. There are several fleets a week out of stacmon to lowsec to learn basic fleet orders, and get less panicky when killing/losing ships.

Regarding something like guarding miners. If theres no action, it's pretty boring for the guards, and would you reward them with isk from the miners? then the whole action becomes pretty low profit and not good for anyone, although it's a game, it's also people's real life spare time, and they probably wouldn't want to spend that doing nothing and/or not earning any isk.

You are right that the main reason for our war decs is that we as a corp feed them content via easy kills.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

Ersin Oghuz wrote:First I asked for BLAP Caracals & Ospreys with tackle and ewar but sadly we did not have sufficient Caracal & Osprey users to defy wartargets.
Ersin Oghuz wrote: Here I am not going to repeat many issues but let me say this: Maybe next time someone brings an odd ship to a doctrine fleet I should make sure that EVE University fleet members are in the lossmail of that ship.
I totally understand the frustration with people not flying a ship that fits with the doctrine, and would be inclined to get people to dock it up and get a fast frigate if they can't bring anything else that fits.

Having the right ships in fleet to make the doctrine work is really key, and I think people don't realise this when they grab their shield T3D for an armour fleet. (or vice-versa)

The underlying issue here is that just like a fleet as a whole can be made stronger by adding ships that work well together, it can also be made weaker by bringing ships that don't.

Looks like we should start running a few more BLAP Caracal fleets, to get people training in to them, and keeping them on hand, so we have a more cohesive response ready.