[AAR] Post-CTA Lowsec Fisticuffs 28JAN 2130

Kontxesi Buchanan
Title: Assistant Manager (Events), Lieutenant Junior Grade, Mentor, Senior Personnel Officer™, Dislikes You, Events, Graduate, Management

[AAR] Post-CTA Lowsec Fisticuffs 28JAN 2130

Post by Kontxesi Buchanan »

Lowsec Fisticuffs: The "Well, we might as well do something" Edition

(งಠ_ಠ)ง

Date: 28 JAN 2018
Form-up time: N/A
Departure time: 21:30
Return time: 23:30
Duration: 2h00m

Roam members (66)
Spoiler
Aiden Chance
Aimsucks
Airsick Lowlander
Alf Saissore
Alto DeRaqwar
Ariea Thellare
Avalokitesvara Milarepa
Baro Gaar
Beavis Alland
Bethany Cartharsis
Blind Scion
Boris Doolaley
Budda Sereda
Calder Ormand
Coaxster
Darth Galifreia
DataSquid Nothappinen
DonBasuno Ichosira
Eddie Dante (Scout)
Erwin Madelung
Gatt2111 (Scout)
Gemma Solett
Gigabyte Ghekon
Gunman Aldent
Hideo Date
Iskarr Jarak
Ivika Starfury
Kaelph Audeles
Kontxesi Buchanan (FC)
Kora K (DPS Anchor)
Kordun Naskingar
Lazarus Tazinas
Loth Lorien
Maximus Hert (LC)
Megoste
Mols Halleck
Muzzy Chuck
Nathan Tamroc
Nuefrau Simalia
Padraic Musbrandt
Paranoya1 Aideron
Phaethonx Brutor
Professor Academiac
Raskyn
Rebulah Conundrum
Rider Isleman
Rolis Owlborne
Sone Eto
Sphere Thelon
Splodge Ernaga
Sunshine Gracchus
Tau Hopper
Teatimer ThePatient
Thelma Magent
Tiberius Auduin
Tyler Arnoux
Union Pivo (2IC)
Valen Kess
Vals Heluene
Vertxsees
Willow K
Wokum
Z0X Ambrye
Zako Maken
Zana Fehrnah
fengor Agittain
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

Breeze turned the fleet over to me at 21:25 and we headed to a citadel in Ostingele to allow people to reship and get some roles settled. As people who weren't interested in going to Tama left fleet, we ended up being very logi heavy. I was asked if some of them should reship, and I said "nah". This was a bad thing.

Gatt found a Rook, Stiletto, Omen Navy Issue, and Legion at the asteroid belt, so we headed over there to check it out. This was really the first fleet I've FCed that wasn't frigates fighting in plexes, so I was entirely unused to warping fleets around to people. It took me a bit to realize we could warp to Gatt, and then it took me three tries to finally get us in the right place to pop the Legion that he'd had tackled for almost two minutes.

(21:33:18) Ostingele
Blackbird -14.57m
Legion +961.19m

Our neighbors were getting a little grumpy about the size of our fleet:

[ 2018.01.28 21:36:52 ] Daniel Essig > you guys are making this system laggy to jump into and out of
[ 2018.01.28 21:36:57 ] Daniel Essig > do you mind? lol
[ 2018.01.28 21:37:23 ] Daniel Essig > its awfully inconvenient

The Rook warped to us as we jumped into Agoze. He warped off, but ended up coming back at range and then slowboating to the gate. He came to regret this.

(21:45:21) Ostingele
Rook +306.62m
Capsule +0.01m

Gatt tried to get us some fun, but they popped him pretty fast. We tried to track his killers down, plus a BNI somewhere.... Got a little overwhelmed by the amount of intel coming in at this stage, honestly.

(21:49:00) Loes
Malediction -241.13m

Jumping straight from frigates to battlecruisers, my brain is still in the "we can catch that" mode and we tried to chase a Phantasm across a couple systems. We didn't catch it, obviously, and lost some tackle.

(22:05:22) Hikkoken
Slasher -6.69m

We were trying to bait a group of Strats and a few other things in Tama, and I had to go AFK to feed some hangry doggos. Our non-bait group waiting on in Kedama got a Stabber while I was gone, but lost several frigates to gate guns.

(22:18:38) Kedama
Stabber +39.36m
Griffin -1.07m
Maulus -2.2m
Griffin -6.35m
Griffin -1.25m

Once I got back, it was clear that they weren't going to take the bait. So into Tama for gate camping we went! We got a couple of kills, and more importantly, gave several people a nice little practical on how to gatecamp. And, like any proper Uni fleet, we had someone tackle the gate. :)

(22:25:30) Tama
Arbitrator +15.28m
Thorax +16.11m

Then we got hotdropped by Shadow Cartel with a bunch of Nightmares and Scimitars. No, thank you. Tyler managed to get their cyno Anathema a little later.

(22:38:14) Tama
Anathema +58.49m

When we were still in Ostingele, I'd received intel that there was a Moros tackled in Asakai. I didn't think there was any way we were getting there in battlecruisers before the fun was over, so I wasn't super worried about it. Once we got chased out of Tama, I figured we might as well see what was hanging around up there. Lo and behold, there was the Moros, sitting at zero in a large. "We can't take a Moros with what we have, can we?" I asked. I was assured that we could, so in we went.

Well, we could not break a Moros with what we had. :p If I'd asked some of our logi to reship while we were in Ostingele, it would have been a different story. But of our fleet of approximately 55 at that point, I believe fewer than 20 were in Feroxes.

His Dirt 'n' Glitter friends came in to mess with us in VNIs and Guardians, but they took off once we knocked their logis' teeth in. They then returned in Tornadoes and started blapping and then warping off a few times. Budda was trying to get Spectre formed to come help us, I was trying to get GalMil to come in, Wokum was poking Bombers Bar.... Meanwhile we just kept plinking away, warping off occasionally, slowly bleeding ships.

Right as we were warping off to wait until I heard from Budda, a POS Party fleet warped in. Once I got confirmation that they were in fact engaging the Moros and not helping it, we warped back. They targeted a few of us, jammed some folks, but I've honestly not clicked through the killmails to see if they killed anyone.

(22:45:56) Asakai, Nisuwa
Caracal -29.03m
Osprey -8.76m
Griffin -1.28m
Griffin -1.34m
Griffin -1.08m
Daredevil -119.13m
Guardian +420.63m
Caracal -23.3m
Guardian +359.42m
Guardian +362.17m
Jackdaw -69.43m
Talwar -6.35m
Caracal -13.9m
Atron -3.85m
Federation Navy Comet -25.84m
Caracal -16.27m
Caracal -13.53m
Capsule -0.01m
Stiletto -43.73m
Impairor -0.48m
Slasher -10.51m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Cerberus -383.22m
Capsule -0.41m
Ferox -84.16m
Caracal -35.41m
Federation Navy Comet -28.66m
Moros +2520.19m
Maulus -1.52m
Slasher -6.15m

And so ended my first actual non-whoring dread fight. I think these guys got popped trying to loot or something, not sure.

(23:21:00) Asakai
Atron -9.69m
Ares -36.03m

It seemed like the POS Party guys were chasing us, but I think they might have been heading towards Zarvox in Rakapas. I was pretty exhausted after that Moros fight, so we headed home.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 5,059,476,956.09
ISK Lost: 1,246,360,115.8
ISK Delta: 3,813,116,840.29
Efficiency: 80.235%

We had a lot of people who were pretty new to fleets in this group, and it was great. Everyone did a great job following instructions for the most part. Didn't lose anyone to gate guns while camping, most everyone was anchoring well. I also learned a whole lot here, as got thrown into a comp and fleet size that was way out of my comfort range. I haven't actually FCed a real fleet since about November, so it was interesting to grab this one and take it for a spin.

Thank you to everyone who stayed with us after the CTA, and I hope you all had fun. I'm sorry I don't have the attention span to watch my recording closely enough to get fun quotes. ;)

Please apply for reimbursement from the Ship Replacement Program

Once you've applied for SRP, send me your killmail and copy the reimbursement specifics from the SRP page. I will use our loot proceeds to give you guys some extra monies where the SRP falls short.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Sphere Thelon
Title: Freshman

Re: [AAR] Post-CTA Lowsec Fisticuffs 28JAN 2130

Post by Sphere Thelon »

Good times.

I ran out of ammo on that Moros and after restocking I warped back to my anchor at 0 only to land on top of the moros. I should have warped off and come back at range (not sure if that would have worked or not) but I decided to slowboat back to the fleet instead. My close range plus lack of transversal made me dead meat as soon as the moros pilot noticed. At this point I was in the fleet for a few hours without so much as a yellow box so I decided to call it as I had an engagement with another game coming up shortly after this.

Some things I wish I would have known... At one gate where we lost a few to gate guns I really wish I hadn't shot on the non-flashy. I lost some sec status that is going to be a pain to bring back up and, I feel, wasn't worth it in the end. I did lose some security status shooting at the moros but that was worth it to me. In either case I wish the FC was clear about the repercussions of the actions so I could have better made a choice based on my comfort level. However, not to put all of the blame on the FC, I should have known what I was getting into before hitting fire... or even before agreeing to continue with the gang into lowsec. Honestly, I was wrapped up in the moment.

Part of the confusion on my part was due to the changing nature of this gang that started off as a structure defense fleet that then morphed into a roaming fleet in NPC nullsec that quickly turned into a lowsec roam. I don't blame the FCs at all (in fact I'm quite thankful) for trying to find content for a pretty sizable gang that showed up for a fight only to be stood-up by the opposition.

I'm proud of how I died and how long I made it without dying. I'm happy that I don't have to deal with the logistics of getting the ship back home TBH. I look forward to the next CTA and hope it goes just as well.

I also credit JohnPlayerNotSpecial's good-luck omber for screening me out of the enemy's overview until the very end (I guess I needed to recharge it).
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

First whining from my side.

1. Roaming ended up very cool, though I feel that getting 50 BCs into Black Rise (even Tama) rarely gives good content: too much for anything to not run away, and apparently not enough to kill a dread. Though we killed a Legion and quite a few Guardians.
I probably would take them to null: into Cloud Ring, Fade, Decklein, but... not much chances we would get even half of us back alive :)
FC always has a hard work for the fleet, so don't consider this please as a serious complain.

2. In Tama: honestly, I'm disappointed. We had 10 BCs baiting in large, and locals did not form-up to engage. Maybe they saw the rest of us in Kedama?
Should we keep the main fleet 2 jumps away? Have baiting squad in Tama aligned to Kedama... That would be too risky, but could work?
Any other way for us to provoke a fight?
And when we hugged the Nou gate we were dropped a 9 Scimitars + 20ish Nightmares... :( surprisingly, we lost nothing.
Now I understand when more experienced FCs avoid coming to Tama... Though, gate camping there was fun.

3. When we had a fight with Guardians (and whatever landed with them): we should spread tackles and don't all hug the last 3rd guardian, very well we could get 1-2 more kills.

Now, what was cool.

Clearly, that Moros. I was primaried by him 3 times. 2 first I was at 20km, called for reps on time and was saved by logies. 3rd time I was committed to fight guards and lost position control, came too close to Moros (13km) and was pretty much alphaed :(
I was in a crappy fit Jackdaw (instalocky version), but having a bit more time I would fit it better (use DC instead of BCU), maybe PDS instead of another BCU.

After I reshipped (had a ship 3 jumps away) I was trying to get Spectre Fleet with bombers (as it was clear, we will have hard time killing that Moros), landed on grid, but did not want to engage to not be alphaed again (was in blaster fit, pretty much no tank Enyo)... and missed the killmail... what a pity.

Otherwise, it was fun and cool. Feroxes confirmed to be slow, but I like the way guardians melted :)

Advise to those who lost a solo kills to Moros: guys, please do stay at range, there are no reasons to come to him closer then 40-50km in either Caracal or Griffin. Orbit at you optimal -10% and you will be safe.

Thanks Kontxesi for taking fleet out!

P.S. And many thanks to Breeze for organizing whole day
Sphere Thelon wrote: I lost some sec status that is going to be a pain to bring back up and, I feel, wasn't worth it in the end.
Security status drop from one month of roaming can be restored just in 20-40M (depending on your activity). It is 30-60M of safe VNI ratting in NSC backpocket. It is not big many to worry about. IMO
Sphere Thelon

Post by Sphere Thelon »

Budda Sereda wrote:
Sphere Thelon wrote: I lost some sec status that is going to be a pain to bring back up and, I feel, wasn't worth it in the end.
Security status drop from one month of roaming can be restored just in 20-40M (depending on your activity). It is 30-60M of safe VNI ratting in NSC backpocket. It is not big many to worry about. IMO
I need to rat at NSC or something. I just repaired my alt's sec status from shooting a can at an ice belt do draw in CONCORD. They said "it's only 10-15 rats to fix it" but it turned into to well over 10x that in .8 space. At least my main has access to juicier rats. It probably isn't that big of a deal in the end (and it isn't a big deal at all as I was at 5.0 before this even started) plus I'll learn how to quickly raise my sec status in the future when I inevitably do this again.
fengor Agittain

Post by fengor Agittain »

Hello thanks to all for this fun evening :)

I came back from some RL stuff to see Breeze's mail with like an hour and a half to spare and decided to try to get some EWAR experience with the Defense Fleet. I hacked together a Maulus from the Fleet post and be in Stacmon on time.

Defense fleet turned out to be pretty uneventful and so I decided to stick around for going to Tama (I wrote off the Maulus as a loss even as I was building it).The fights were fun and I start getting slightly less overwhelmed when in a fleet and even came back with a totally unscratched Maulus for next time.

What did I learn?

1. Following the fleet gets easier with time and fleetwarps.
2. The Maulus has an awesome Locking range.
3. Be careful when reapproaching the gate. I think I might have ewared the gate at some point?
4. Just pointing EWAR at something is enough to get on the killmail (I did literally 0 damage)
5. Having no reships doesnt make me feel comfortable. I have to slowly expand my stable so to speak.

Many thanks to Kontxesi for stepping in as FC and giving me these wonderful learning experiences :)
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Sphere Thelon wrote:
Budda Sereda wrote:
I need to rat at NSC or something. I just repaired my alt's sec status from shooting a can at an ice belt do draw in CONCORD. They said "it's only 10-15 rats to fix it" but it turned into to well over 10x that in .8 space. At least my main has access to juicier rats. It probably isn't that big of a deal in the end (and it isn't a big deal at all as I was at 5.0 before this even started) plus I'll learn how to quickly raise my sec status in the future when I inevitably do this again.
Who rats in HS? https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 14&t=86111 and once you master, do same using VNI in a 'relative safety' of NSC backpocket.

P.S. Sorry for offtopic, but there were many newbros in a fleet who I suppose will be reading this and could benefit from.
Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Post by Troven Smalvard »

Sphere Thelon wrote:Good times.

I ran out of ammo on that Moros and after restocking I warped back to my anchor at 0 only to land on top of the moros.
If he was in a Large Plex (or any FW plex for that matter but larges have no gate) then when you warp in, regardless if your warping to your anchor, your actually warping to the beacon (replace beacon with gate for novice to medium plexes)
thats why you landed at zero on the moros, assume g was sat on the beacon.

Its also worth noting that you can't warp to a fleet member in the plex, even if they are 150km away as the deadspace pocket doesn't allow it.

in this instance you are right you should have bounced away again, then warped back to the beacon at range, and you need to come in from a celestial that means you are the right angle from the beacon to land in to your fleet mates
ImageImage ImageImage
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

Sphere Thelon wrote: I need to rat at NSC or something. I just repaired my alt's sec status from shooting a can at an ice belt do draw in CONCORD. They said "it's only 10-15 rats to fix it" but it turned into to well over 10x that in .8 space. At least my main has access to juicier rats. It probably isn't that big of a deal in the end (and it isn't a big deal at all as I was at 5.0 before this even started) plus I'll learn how to quickly raise my sec status in the future when I inevitably do this again.
Just as a leaning opportunity for yourself and others who may be less familiar with the mechanics around raising security status via ratting:

Every 5 minutes-ish, the game evaluates what the "best" pirate rat was that you killed. It then awards security status based on that rat. The other rats that you kill within the same time window don't contribute to your security status. (They do contribute to your isk bounty of course).

So, when I've been ratting in low sec to increase my sec status, I go looking for clone soldiers. Each one gives a sizeable sec status bonus, plus drops a tag. If your if your sec status is below 0, you can turn these in to Concord along with a bribe / administration fee. This increases your security status (more info: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Security_tags)

When I'm hunting the clone soldiers, I make sure I've received my previous sec status increase before killing the next one.
Gigabyte Ghekon
Title: Events Staff, Freshman

Post by Gigabyte Ghekon »

This was a great time, ^~^ first big fleet and it was exactly what I’m looking for. I only made it onto one kill mail and had to leave before they got to the Moros but it was still a blast
Darth Galifreia
BANNED
BANNED
Title: Sophomore

Post by Darth Galifreia »

After tonns of violet dots which def Citadel without fight. Our roam fleet make some fun.
Unfortunately i was one of Griffin at Kedama who locked non-flashy target, so State Protectorate punished me via Caldary Sentry gun.
I think if i was without guns, sentry didnt switch to my tiny ass. I was too thin and did not even have time to retire at 150km from sentrys. It was fun to listen FC when she's back and wondered how our frigates died)

Ty Breeze for begin(He know How do you win a war without fighting?)
And ty to Kontxesi for our roam and transformation Moros to wreck.
Bethany Cartharsis
Title: Ensign, Freshman

Post by Bethany Cartharsis »

First off I have to thank Kontxesi for stepping out of her comfort zone and making proper use of such a huge fleet. I'm one of the newbros without much experience that she took out in that fleet, and I had a blast. From my perspective the fleet was a resounding success. I learned more about how to identify what targets are viable for a given fleet composition, how to bait, and how to gate camp. Thanks again Kontxesi for FC'ing and everyone else for sticking around and making that a fun time.
Glen Burney
Title: Manager (LSC), Fittings staff, Ensign, Sophomore, Management

Post by Glen Burney »

Regarding Security Status: You can fly in all of empire space with a security status greater than negative two (-2). This means that you don't really have to repair sec status until it's less than that threshold!

If you DO go under negative two (-2), you can repair sec status by ratting, or by turning in Clone Soldier (CS) Tags at Concord Offices. The tags you want to turn in are CS Transporter Tags, these can be found in Uphallant and other 0.2 Systems.

The Low Sec Campus Offers also offers a program where we will sell you these tags at 10% off Jita. This helps to defray the cost of being a pirate in LowSec. Details are in our "For Sale" can thread:

https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 8&p=708353

Fly dangerous. Shoot all the things (although I personally don't engage shuttles and noob ships, at that point it's just silly)...

ImageImageImage
Most all-time kills by a Unista, more than 14k ships exploded, 4k more than the next best (heart Kelon)
Tiberius Auduin
Title: LSC Officer, Wanted by Fashion Police, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Tiberius Auduin »

Kontxesi, you did great! Enjoyed the fleet, newbros did good, we killed a moros, \o/.
Budda Sereda wrote:First whining from my side.

2. In Tama: honestly, I'm disappointed. We had 10 BCs baiting in large, and locals did not form-up to engage. Maybe they saw the rest of us in Kedama?
Should we keep the main fleet 2 jumps away? Have baiting squad in Tama aligned to Kedama... That would be too risky, but could work?
Any other way for us to provoke a fight?
And when we hugged the Nou gate we were dropped a 9 Scimitars + 20ish Nightmares... :( surprisingly, we lost nothing.
Now I understand when more experienced FCs avoid coming to Tama... Though, gate camping there was fun.
Budda, just to answer why baiting didn't work: those T3C's were cov ops fit and were doing a BLOPs fleet off the citadel (you've seen their Panther, right?). Since you can't light a cyno in the same system as well as in a large outpost and the fact they had a hunter already out picking best targets, they were not keen on dropping, or better, warping to some raggedy feroxes.
Boris Doolaley

Post by Boris Doolaley »

Thanks for taking me and other newbros on the roam. This was my first fleet action, and although I was not always in the right place at the right time I was happy to get on a few killmails. It's time to park this Ferox up in Stacmon and wait for the next fleet opportunity.
Sphere Thelon

Post by Sphere Thelon »

Decklin Quark Reiger wrote:Every 5 minutes-ish, the game evaluates what the "best" pirate rat was that you killed. It then awards security status based on that rat. The other rats that you kill within the same time window don't contribute to your security status. (They do contribute to your isk bounty of course).
This explains a lot and I wasn't aware of this particular (and peculiar) mechanic until now. Thanks!