[AAR] Hyperkittens 24/01

Zeon Alabel
Title: Ensign, Frigates by the yard, Sophomore

[AAR] Hyperkittens 24/01

Post by Zeon Alabel »

Roam members (23) - NOTE: This section is NOT usually included in AARs.
Spoiler
Alhazimir Jaynara
B'aldrick Aivoras
Blind Scion
Brandon Greystone
Carl Misjekis
Comeonnnnnn Sparassid
Decklin Quark Reiger
Gemma Solett (Scout)
Imad Gratia
Kaelph Audeles
Minage Yvormes
O'Hearn
RankNine
Raxon Noseworthy
Rebulah Conundrum
The Jojosh
Tiberius Auduin
Toma Heleneto (Scout)
Tyler Arnoux
Union Pivo
Vrix Torqueo
Zarquu Fussuhfusus
Zeon Alabel
So this time around I decided i am gonna try and be a bit conservative in terms of engagements and to be honest, Not my style. Though to be fair we didn't find any fights that we could realistically win either but nevertheless I think my natural strength is in more aggressive tactics.

We had a couple of newbros in the the fleet this time too which I love and after finishing the newbro speech we undocked and started the roam. We had 4 pilots who were new with one opting in as logi pilot. It was great. We didn't find anything till we got to Vli where the scout found a comet and tackled it. Unfortunately by the time the fleet landed the comet killed our scout and warped off. While the scout re-shipped we continued on our roam.
Kills and Losses
(20:03:31) Vlillirier
Condor -2.68m

In Oicx, we found two other large fleets. One with Gilas and the other jackdaws. Since we couldn't take them on I warped the fleet to a safe and then a ping at gate but unfortunately one of our newbros didn't warp out quickly and was caught.

(20:13:40) Oicx
Tristan -1.18m
Capsule -0.01m

I am not quite sure how Union died over here so I am gonna skip it. :)
(20:25:06) Eha
Tristan -10.89m

In Kinakka things got a little interesting. The scout reported a coercer in a plex and I asked the vanguard to jump in and slide. There was a bit of confusion while sliding the gate and the vanguard didn't land together. The Coercer of DeBug killed two and warped out while the fleet landed. By the time the fleet got into the plex, some surviving vanguard had already followed DeBug to a structure where he couldn't dock cause of weapons timer and engaged him again. I had the fleet warp to the structure but by now the fleet had lost it cohesion and landed separately. As you can imagine we lost 5 pilots taking down one coercer. I need to work more on keeping the fleet together including the vanguard more efficiently. Slower is still better than losing ships in such scenarios.
(20:38:20) Kinakka
Condor -1.28m
Capsule -0.01m
Sentinel -61.88m
Tristan -7.74m
Tristan -9.33m
Coercer +28.25m
Tristan -1.9m
Capsule -0.01m

In Akidagi we really got an interesting fight. The scout spotted a succubus and something else and i asked him to find and tackle the succubus with vanguard support. This time around the fleet did admirably and while the Succubus managed to pull range on us initially, Baldrick in his hyena managed to get webs on him while the vanguard kept tackle. And then it was a quick finish for the succubus with us losing only one vanguard pilot. It was brilliant and I am proud of how the fleet got this kill.

(21:09:05) Akidagi, Moclinamaud
Tristan -5.11m
Succubus +256.4m
Coercer +17.07m
Capsule +0.01m

By now we had been on roam for a while and we took a break and some of the pilots including one logi had to leave. Luckily we had Zarquu re-ship into a burst and we continued with about 13 of us. While making out way back to Stacmon, we encountered two other frigate fleets. One was a Merlin fleet and the other Atrons with 5 Bantam. We decided that we would get eaten alive if we engaged either fleet with our numbers and waited to see if they engage each other and we could third party. Unfortunately the Jackdaw/Gila fleet(not sure which) came back around and i decided to move on.

Oh i forgot to mention. I had a couple of major disconnects during this fleet but the chain of command held extremely well and the importance of having 2IC and 3IC cannot be emphasised enough.
While I was reconnecting, the scouts found an interesting comp in Iges and the fleet moved there. I managed to reconnect and catch up with the fleet as they were beginning the attack on a Caracal Navy issue with Vexor support who had warped off. We managed to get tackle easily enough on the Caracal but for some reason we weren't able to apply dps effectively. It may have been a combination of not having any webs on it and not enough ewar support (we only had one maulus left with us by now). We lost a couple of ships and when the vexor landed I decided to call scatter and we disengaged the fight and warped off. I called an end to the fleet after this we disbanded.

(21:54:45) Iges
Kestrel -14.85m
Condor -2.53m
Tristan -10.83m

Overall this was one of the times were it felt like I as an FC was being taught a number of valuable lessons. I would like to think that I am getting better at commanding fleet and that everyone is having fun. I would love to hear what everyone think and would appreciate any and all feedbacks.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 301,727,096.56
ISK Lost: 130,239,887.37
ISK Delta: 171,487,209.19
Efficiency: 69.85%
Kaelph Audeles
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Hyperkittens 24/01

Post by Kaelph Audeles »

Thanks for taking the kitten out, it was my first time in a Hyperkitten fleet and I enjoyed it.

to comment on my loss (last Tristan that died): That was my fault really. I tried to manual Pilot as much as I could in this fleet because it was encouraged and I was in the mood for training those skills. it all went pretty well in the engagements this far but I made some pretty noobish mistake on the CNI. I successfully spiraled in to a range where I could have held point but misclicked and steered towards a 500m orbit. In the middle of my correction (too darn close) the CNI yellowboxed and I had nothing to align to in my general direction when the scatter command was issued. I tried to hop onto something on the pod saver tab but by that time I was scrammed and eaten alive.

There was one instance when 2IC and 3IC tried to took over after a disconnect and were so polite to give each other the oppurtunity to do so what resulted in half spoken out commands, same when the FC logged back in. That bamboozled me but thanks to Zarquu and Raxon for taking over in the wake of nearing danger.

Special thanks to Logi as well and the insight of participating in the newbro speech for logis and Zarquu for answering my questions regarding that in fine detail. Skills are in the queue :)

Personal learning experience:
- I need to be on more vanguards to train handle UI quicker and identify where to go fast
- Practise manual piloting more
- Ask more often to why we not engage or why it's a cool idea to do so (if there's time maybe after the fleets)

See you in the next fleet o7
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Raxon Noseworthy

Re: [AAR] Hyperkittens 24/01

Post by Raxon Noseworthy »

ty very much for fleet i can see where chain of command is important as i was in vanguard when fc dc'd and could not 2ic i passed to 3rd immediatly

much better to have an on site commander then one wizzing around in vanguard.

that being said personally i believe tristan require large numbers 15 + with support to be effective without support and numbers it doesnt do so well.

I think fleet went as well as can be expected warts and all

only thing i can suggest is deciding on targets faster and information flow faster.

also talking in third person while in combat coms is a must. I for one get excited and forget as do others.

maybe we need say a 1 hour course on fleet comms and fleet 101 every week followed by a fleet run by a Fcc student.

lots of info coming in can get confusing even with time in game and only practice and note taking and doing homework about ship types and strengths and weaknesses can help over long run practice helps.

I am trying to learn from fleets i go out on about what works what doesnt work and what i need to lean and take notes after.