[WHC] Three parties and then some

Ulrik Elristan
Title: Ensign, Sad About A Title, Rock Real Estate Broker, da Explorah, Graduate

[WHC] Three parties and then some

Post by Ulrik Elristan »

It was yet another lazy day in WHC. A few dictors were out in a nullsec connection hunting the ever elusive ratting supercarrier, there was talk of rasharing our static, when two confessors and a rupture were spotted on long D.
Some drake-based shenanigans later, Event Horizon came on the Bacon hole with a few moas and ospreys - an incursion promptly dispatched with overwhelming force, as our numbers were growing towards prime-time (sorry, uniblob 4eva).

This victory is however quickly overshadowed by the appearance of Eyes.FR, a French wormhole corp that we had repeatedly faced and lost to. Some taunting and assessing later, both parties decide they don't want any - at least not before dinner (food is a big thing in France, I couldn't agree more). Eventually, Eyes come to us with a bit more than we can chew, and ragepings ensue : they have two nestors, an assortment of ten strategic cruisers, command ships and, to top it off, a bhaalgorn. Back of napkin estimates require four guardians to hold up tech 2 resisted ships (the mainline DPS ships of our doctrine), and a lot more DPS than we can field, and thus we contact Event Horizon to see if they want to join in with us - which they do. We thus proceeded to entertain Eyes in local while we formed up.
Eventually, we field 4 guardians, a damnation, 3 sacrileges and an assortment of t1 battlecruisers and cruisers, engage the fight on bacon (which was shrink) on the home turf. Event Horizon comes from the bacon chain with their own bhaalgorn, a damnation, an extra guard and assorted cruisers and battlecruisers. Sketchy, who was FC-ing, started testing their tanks and assessing their fleet - we weren't breaking anything, though, and already the first T1 ships started to go down. And as Sketchy's ishtar went down, Eyes brought in a third nestor and some other ships, collapsing the hole and trapping themselves in with us. FC falls unto yours truly, time to put on some big boy pants, apparently.

At this point, we met a stalemate. Our ships were living through their dps, and theirs through ours. We thus proceeded to try several strategies, starting with target switches. We had two ECM pilots attempting to jam off the nestors, basically in vain thanks to the crazy high sensor strength of these buggers, even though a lucky set of jams allowed us to get one nearly to structure. In hindsight, I should have called for sensor dampeners on the two nestors we were attempting to jam. Their bhaalgorn wrecked havoc on our end, shutting down Gribbly's neuting power from the get go and eventually costing us our bhaal as his hardeners got shut down. We then attempted opportunistic booshs, successfully removing the drones blob on several occasions, and separating the bhaalgorn from the fight for a while, giving us some breathing room.
After a while, Conci suggested we use our drones to kill theirs, effectively "defanging" the nestors and the bhaalgorn, removing a lot of dps from the field. This kept us afloat as I was suddenly convo'd by a member of Adhocracy, a blue C4 wormhole corp. They had rolled into bacon and were about to jump on the Eyes fleet when the latter rolled themselves into us, and were asking for our Innuendo connections in order to come help. I swear that convo popping up was the most deconcerting, yet it meant we were going to survive this - indeed, despite the lowered DPS, the rapid target switches and the aptly spread neuts were whittling down our tiring fleet (this was about 45 minutes into the fight, the disruption on the logi was most straining), and the end was surely not in our favor.

Unfortunately, Eyes spotted ADHC as they were about to come into Innuendo and scattered, leaving only a single Nestor stranded...
(at last a kill !)

Final tally :
Isk lost : 4.36B
Isk destroyed : 1.31B
Adrenalin pumped : 8000
Funs had : 11

The good :
Comms discipline was on point, even though a third of the fleet were strangers, this went smooth.
Logi did a tremendous job, we had 3 guardians switch around throughout the fight, they were under real hard pressure and yet performed beautifully.
This doctrine is tanky.
Roles were filled without too much hassle, glad to see the support roles getting some love <3

The bad :
Started getting the drones off field way too late
Lacking knowledge of resist profiles regarding ammo choices
I need way more ammo in my damnation
Should have asked for suggestions about what to do. In hindsight we could have tried bumping the nestors apart, should have jammed the bhaalgorn instead of trying to jam the nestors, and spread sensor res damps on the nestor coupled with better target switching.
Where my tackle at ??? They should nearly all have been caught at the end.
“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win” - Sun Tzu.

May enter novel-writing mode at any time. Beware of the walls of text !
Kyle Hargrove

Re: [WHC] Three parties and then some

Post by Kyle Hargrove »

I concur that popping the drones sooner would have made a big difference and that jams could have gone on the Bhaal. To pop hostile drones, bonused Hobs are really the best, unbonused Warriors are a decent second place. Incidentally, packing Hobs on Sacs could make them more flexible in this sense, but then they'd lose their DPS...

Ship-wise, 3 Guards were a bit on the low end IMO, and you had a lot of T1 stuff on field. That Augoror, for example, really ain't doing much at all.

Bumping Nestors is not something that can really work IMO, because they rep range is quite decent, so you need a LOT of bumping, and even then, they can just regroup.

What definitely could have worked, though, was bringing your own Command Destroyers. It might be because I'm in INIT now, but I'm really loving these things more and more, and tiny sig radius (64) means HAMs and Hammerheads apply terribly to an AB Pontifex :)

I don't remember if you have a fit on the fleet-up, but this is what I used to run:

Code: Select all

[Pontifex, KHV 267 Francis]

Damage Control II
400mm Steel Plates II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Centum C-Type Energized Thermal Membrane

Micro Jump Field Generator
Coreli A-Type 1MN Afterburner
Warp Disruptor II

Small Energy Neutralizer II
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Hail S
[Empty High slot]

Small Trimark Armor Pump II
Small Trimark Armor Pump II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Of course, you can debling the AB if needed. This can perform very well booshing and dedicated drone-sniping with the ACs and hobs while being decently tanky: catches 1.6k EHP/s from Guardians and 20k buffer with no links, going up to 2.3k EHP/s reps and 28k buffer with perfect links (ideal, but it gives you the idea that it scales decently well). It is also fast enough to be able to chase MWD'd armour cruisers by heating prop (or being linked).

As for tackle... You folks need to learn to spread tackle when FC calls it! :D
Jeracho Dorne
Title: Personnel Officer, Mentor, Graduate

Post by Jeracho Dorne »

Great fun, my first propper fleet in WHC. I think I may have been one of the last T1 Prophs in the fight. Great ship and took a battering a few times. I look forward to the next fleet.

I took popping drone to heart I hit them hard and it seemed to make a big difference when we focused drones.
Graduate

Retired - Finance Manager - Assistant Diplomacy Manager - Low Sec Campus Manager LSC - Senior Personnel Officer - Solitude Campus Officer - Communication Officer
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ulrik Elristan
Title: Ensign, Sad About A Title, Rock Real Estate Broker, da Explorah, Graduate

Post by Ulrik Elristan »

Thanks for the feedback Kyle, although we did have 4 guards for most of the fight actually (you may have misread my comment about them switching around, 1 guard popped and was replaced and some other shenanigans) as well as a command dessie piloted by our favorite furniture (you'll recognize Conci), but he had a really hard time getting in the thick of the brawl. Maybe we could have tried to make more space for him by pulling range or something, whereas I was leading the fleet right into their faces. I do really like this pontifex, btw, I think Conci was basically warping off as soon as he was getting targeted ; this would alleviate that. And we did have perfect links, save for the mindlink (I'm very happy with this train, now that it's done. Yes yes. We even doubled up on them with Arimos by mistake when he joined in :oops: )

The nestors would have run out of ET range quicker, though, wouldn't they ? But yeah, that was one of the afterthoughts, I doubt we had the right ships for that anyways... One downside of that doctrine, I guess :lol:
“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win” - Sun Tzu.

May enter novel-writing mode at any time. Beware of the walls of text !
Conci Furiram
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Fittings Staff, Doooooooooooooooooooomed, Graduate

Post by Conci Furiram »

I do really like this pontifex, btw, I think Conci was basically warping off as soon as he was getting targeted ; this would alleviate that.
Magus was tanked too or it wouldn't have held when I got caught. There's no reason for the boosher to stay in the fray; nothing to alleviate.