[AAR] Longbow Cormorants! 29/12/17

SketchyManDan Williams

[AAR] Longbow Cormorants! 29/12/17

Post by SketchyManDan Williams »

We took out some Longbow Cormorants for a dive into some null sec regions, I loved the idea of just being aligned, sniping targets, and warping away before they had any chance of fighting back. I kind of used this fleet to test out some things for further fleets, so bear with me guys! The numbers for today were great, but it turned out to be a bit tricky with the scheme for the bookmarks, so I'll change it up next time to make it easier to get ourselves around.:D. The next one will be a bit more organised, so we can have more time hunting, and less form up and travel, although the travel fleet part of the roam did have some interesting chat on comms XD.

I tried to get a chain from WHC with some Null sec connections (Cheers to everyone who scanned down the chain today, we had a pretty large chain up in no time!), but didn't have much luck other than 1 Null sec connections and 1 Low. Then Gatt brought up Thera, which I always forget about :D. It had a bit of everything connected to it including a 6j to jita connection, so I headed there last minute to scan everything down. It began with a connection in Reisato, which would've been perfect, but it collapsed just before the fleet, so we had to burn 16 j through Hi Sec to make our way in.

Roam members (25)
Spoiler
Alf Saissore
Atticus Vex
Auric Fulcrum
Brookie Achasse
Castor Udan
Coaxster
Conci Furiram
Decklin Quark Reiger
DonkeyPunch Udan
Dot Org
Eddie Dante
Gatt2111
Gunman Aldent
Iskarr Jarak
Kora K
Max HouseCHAOM
Muzzy Chuck
Oh' Leeador
Raxon Noseworthy
SketchyManDan Williams
Union Pivo
Z0X Ambrye
Zana Fehrnah
Zarquu Fussuhfusus
ashahara
1 of our Nulls had already collapsed before we arrived, so we ended up jumping into the next which ended up taking us to Provi. I Staged the fleet off a Tac from the Null sec hole, until we found a target. A couple of things were spotted, but we ended up catching a pair of VNI's.
When we landed, one of the VNI's were bubbled, with one out of the bubble trying to escape. I think the fleet might say I made the wrong call here when asking for primary on the not tackled VNI, because we immediately had split DPS, and people sounded surprised in comms too, but why focus on the one who's bubbled? He's going no where fast, let's kill everything that has a chance to escape first, and then move onto whats stuck inside the bubble :)
(22:19:44Z) 9UY4-H
Vexor +15.75m
Vexor +28.72m
Capsule +0.01m
Capsule +0.01m

This part got a bit confusing for me haha. We had intel of a gang of Caracals in U-H that were setting up on the gate to our system. I was 100% sure I didn't want to jump into this, but it seemed like the fleet was pretty keen on making the jump into them. Would love to here the opinion of others who have flown this doctrine, but I felt like that couldn't be any closer to the opposite off how to fly this doctrine :? :? :?.

While I set us up on the 9UY side instead, we had lots of talk on comms, and another gang convos one of our fleet members asking us to team up to take out another, so I agreed, without really confirming who was who :?, Yeeeee, I've not really done something like that before so kinda screwed up the first targets XD. I wasn't sure at first who we were not supposed to shoot with the different corp tickers on grid, and hesitated after calling primary on an Orthrus when I thought he was one of the gang teaming up with us. While it did melt pretty quick, the pause in the DPS while I confirmed friendlies gave it time to pop our Keres.
(22:35:03Z) 9UY4-H
Cormorant -15.16m
Cormorant -10.29m
Keres -58.84m
Orthrus +407.59m

I think by this point some of the fleet may have lost faith in my calls aha, but, trust your FC even if he's a scrub :D, It felt like some backseat FCing was nearly happening here for target calling, which is understandable after I screwed up the friendlies earlier, but I know who the targets are now :D, and i promise not to shoot temp friendlies again :lol: .

The CVA Cerbs were the target currently 120Km ish out, and the intel I had was to only shoot CVA (I had already made the wrong calls on 2 other corps tickers), but comms were pretty clear they wanted a primary called right now, and it should be the Drake, who wasn't CVA, so I didn't like the idea of that again :D. Here's where I'd say, it's OK not to be shooting all the time. The Drake wasn't engaging us, and the Cerbs were the target.
From what I'd seen, the idea with this doctrine is to try and always be aligned, this is the first priority before engaging, this way, no one dies (if you spot you're being locked it time), if tackle burns into us, fleet warp, if they are targeting us one by one, then just peel off to the broadcast as needed.
We even have a couple of fast scouts on grid that can get me warpins, but, this is tricky to communicate when there is shouting in comms to shoot a Drake regardless of positioning/alignment. The drake WILL die, and these guys are in no rush, they've come out to play, gotta give me time to get us all aligned first, and then we'll shoot :P. it's a lot more satisfying to come away with as little losses as we can, when it's a doctrine capable of making that possible :D.
Drake +86.16m

At this point it was just us and the Cerbs, and instead of asking people to align to a broadcast, I thought, maybe it'll be easier if I just get everyone to anchor which turned out to be a pretty big mistake :lol: . If they didn't know who was FC, they did now and I was quickly primaried, pushed my luck too far with the red boxing (Was far too curious how long their missiles take to travel :lol:) and get taken off grid. 2IC calls to scatter, and we burn back to Thera for a new Null sec.
Cormorant -11.3m
Cormorant -18.61m
Capsule -28.04m
Capsule -0.01m
Cormorant -6.07m

With another fleet coming up pretty soon, we called it a day here, and made our way back to join it. Some people left ships in Thera, which is pretty cool! I'm going to try and stage more Null fleets out from there. Just need to make sure I don't scan it down last minute again!

Cheers to everyone who came and helped out with the setup, and thanks for all the tips for the next roams!
I'll organise the form up alot better for the next one, now I've given it a try I know how to get the next one staged a lot quicker so we can get actively hunting a lot faster! It'll be Talwars next!

ISK Destroyed: 538,244,786.91
ISK Lost: 164,407,021.1
ISK Delta: 373,837,765.81
Efficiency: 76.602%

Edit - That turned into a really long AAR for not many kills XD, but it was really fun to take a shot at FCing something that was more than my usual just warp in and orbit at optimals I normally take out :D. Any tips for FCing sniping doctrines and roaming null would be awesome!