[AAR] Soli/NSC/LSC ISKalyst Invasion (Dec 15 0230)

Yuri Levnik

[AAR] Soli/NSC/LSC ISKalyst Invasion (Dec 15 0230)

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Soundtrack for the AAR: Mastodon - Blood and Thunder
(Excellent music for hunting Nestors, EVE's white whales)
I am a scrub and accidentally scheduled my fleet at the same time as Budda's Thursday smolgang roam. Budda was a champ about it and suggested I FC my pet doctrine, ISKalysts, while he FC'd a second wing of T3 dessies. Worked out great!

Regarding the ISKalysts, they are too slow to chase anything with any speed at all (we lost a race with a Typhoon Fleet Issue!!!) but they melt tank on battlecruisers and battleships and can wreck smaller stuff if they catch it. We punched above our weight, set new personal records for me for biggest single kill and most ships killed on a fleet, and ran 87% efficiency. Budda's team did some nice work finding targets and getting tackle so we could get in and BLAP the opfor.

Whalers
Spoiler
Argonis Loken
Blind Scion
Budda Sereda - 2IC/Special Ops WC
Calder Ormand - 3IC
Crimson Herring - 2 Scout
Douglas Chin
Gemma Solett - Hero tackle (again)
Gunman Aldent
Harai Rex
Imad Gratia
Jim Electron
KPYTOE KOPOBO
Kirsid Tannaway
Kontxesi Buchanan - 4IC???
Lucius Septimus Severus
Maximus Hert
Phaethonx Brutor
Raxon Noseworthy
Rider Isleman
Trevor Grambling - EWAR
Trillian Arnolles - 1 Scout
Wokum
Yuri Levnik - FC
As we were forming up Kirsid managed to un-tether a Porpoise and kill it. But it was also fighting a clone trooper? I'm not clear on what happened here but Kirsid suggested including the kill in the AAR and I think it deserves the honor.
(02:34:59Z) Meunvon
Porpoise +86.76m

We moseyed on up to PC9 and picked up some buddies then made our way up to Harroule. A Myrmidon jumped in to us and I ordered us to engage but we didn't have enough DPS to burn through (apparently hull tanked) and we lost an Ares to gate guns. Overall, a pity that we couldn't get the kill as the Myrm was most of the way down. Also, I am a n00b and burned out my guns.
(02:53:35Z) Harroule
Ares -45.6m

Some frenemies in Dastryns agreed to fight us for fun. For round one they brought Myrm/Brutix/Tempest. We lost a Hecate tackle/scanner and a heroic Catalyst but our Catalyst gankboats melted hulls and we killed all three ships relatively quickly. Good thing, because there was plenty of damage hitting us and we would not have stood up long under the guns. Note also that opfor landed at 0 from the sun which was somewhat necessary for their short range guns. Sniping probably would have been easier, but who wants an easy fight when you could be SPACE HEROES!?
(03:08:59Z) Dastryns
Myrmidon +85.19m
Hecate -64.35m
Brutix +105.11m
Catalyst -8.71m
Tempest +280.63m

We went for round two against a BNI. This was a hull rail fit, but we got lucky and got within short range despite the MWD and skirmish bursts. Once we were under the guns we were hard for the rails to hit, though the webs helped. In any case, once again the hull melting DPS of the Catalysts burned through our noble opponents excellently hull tanked BNI. We did lose a noble Tackletron and a T2 Catalyst to the Brutixes guns.
(03:18:15Z) Dastryns
Atron -5.87m
Catalyst -16.91m
Brutix Navy Issue +202.16m

Following our first two fights our buddies/enemies brought some faster stuff, including a Vagabond and Zealot. We chased. The end was predictable. Note to everyone - Catalysts are *slow*, not suited for chasing things.
(03:31:33Z) Dastryns
Catalyst -14.45m

Next our buddies undocked a Kronos and tried to get us to open fire on station and take station guns. Budda was leading (I had been forced to warp off to repair) and he cleverly had everyone shoot, warp off and then warp back to fool the station guns. Alas, opfor docked up on the first try and blapped Budda on the second try without us being able to lock the Kronos down.
(03:40:11Z) Dastryns
Catalyst -13.39m

Our sparring buddies docked up to get some sleep. We took a break somewhere in here and then moved on. We found a Silver Magnate and decided to try to get the second Silver Magnate kill of all time. Alas, it did not go well for Budda. We warped off but then more targets landed including Nestor, Drake, Harpy and something else - probably the Silver Magnate again. I initially called the Drake primary but realized we had landed right on top of the Nestor... In suicide ganking boats... So I called a target swap. The Nestor was strangely but expensively fit and soon became expensively dead. Apparently our single Neutalyst wiped its cap after just one or two shield booster cycles and we burned through its tank very quickly. Biggest kill on my killboard ever! Woop woop!!!
(04:11:03Z) Vlillirier
Jackdaw -67.68m
Nestor +2147.58m

We moved on. Harai gave a complementary session of Introduction to Fitting to an unfitted Burst.
(04:21:11Z) Akidagi
Burst +0.32m

We moved on and didn't catch much for a while, though we flirted with a Black Rise Matters gang of BNI/Hurricane/Brutix/Aribtrator/Eagle. We danced around the gate with the first four targets before the Eagle started sniping us and we bravely advanced into the next system to save ourselves. We noodled around a bit more and then heard that some of the gang were fighting a carrier and some battleships and other blingy stuff in a large. I took the fleet in to try and steal a kill but we were rewarded only with the violent death of a couple of pilots. Sorry y'all, I got greedy and as a result some of us got dead );
(04:50:09Z) Hikkoken
Thrasher -12.63m
Catalyst -8.92m
Catalyst -8.73m

We found the Black Rise Matters guys again in Abune along with a couple folks from Local Is Primary and other opfor. We caught a Rook near the OIN gate and got a big kill to put us ahead. We then tried to chase an ONI but we were too slow (remember what I said about Catalysts being slow!?). Xesi had taken command as Budda and I had been blown up and forced off grid (respectively) and she got a Vexor kill for us before we had to leave the field.
(05:14:05Z) Abune
Rook +461.83m
Tristan -7.63m
Condor -2.95m
Jackdaw -67.69m
Vexor +37.54m
Catalyst -13.36m
Capsule -0.01m
Catalyst -13.39m
Hecate -75.74m
Catalyst -18.04m

At the end of the fleet we came across a non-flashy pair of Typhoon Fleet Issue and Stabber. We tried to chase down the Typhoon on a gate but it was too fast for us. Very humbling when a battleship outruns your destroyer ): Alas, one pilot opened fire on the Stabber and got taken down by a combination of gate guns and missiles.
(05:28:03Z) Ouelletta
Coercer -16.98m

Overall, this is the most kills I've gotten on any fleet to date. Our gankboats proved well adapted to burning down large subcapitals, allowing us to kill targets far more valuable than our humble destroyers. The numbers:
Stats
ISK Destroyed: 3,407,135,825.24
ISK Lost: 483,013,057.73
ISK Delta: 2,924,122,767.51
Efficiency: 87.584%

We also collected a *ton* of loot - enough that I paid out shares. Everyone who attended should have received 32MN, let me know if I somehow missed you!

What went well:
  • -We got a huge pile of kills and lots of loot! Such piracy!
    -Budda and I ran this fleet with a bit of a mixed up leadership style. I had most of the pilots with me but he and his buddies roamed ahead and tracked things down. I don't think I would say this was a *better* approach than our traditional fleets, but it wasn't terrible either. I was off my game tonight which hurt us - I think this is worth another try with a main wing FC who is a bit more with it.
    -The ISKalysts showed what they're good at - melting large targets and trading cheap losses for huge kills. We lit up the hull tanked BNI and the battleships. I designed these boats for crazy DPS against large targets and they delivered.
    -I got my biggest single kill and highest total fleet kills to date.
    -I had fun!
What could have gone better:
  • -I was not feeling 100% and my mic had a lot of issues which made it hard for me to give understandable commands in a timely fashion.
    -ISKalysts are *terrible* for chasing targets. A navy battleship outran us, for Pete's sake!
    -I really should not have warped us into the fight with a carrier on grid.
    -There were definitely some disorganized parts of the fleet where I could have had us moving faster.
Overall, a *very* successful night out with lots of ISK killed and relatively little lost.
Yuri

For reference, ISKalyst T1 fit:
Spoiler
[Catalyst, ISKalyst]
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Damage Control II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler

Anode Light Neutron Particle Cannon I

Small Transverse Bulkhead I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Antimatter Charge S x1280
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier x1
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster x1
Federation Navy Antimatter Charge S x2560
Nanite Repair Paste x8
Scan Resolution Script x1
T2 fit:
Spoiler
[Catalyst, ISKalyst T2]
Damage Control II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler

Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II
Light Neutron Blaster II

Small Processor Overclocking Unit II

Antimatter Charge S x1280
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier x1
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster x1
Void S x2560
Nanite Repair Paste x8
Scan Resolution Script x1
Last edited by Yuri Levnik on 2017.12.15 15:25, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Raxon Noseworthy

Re: [AAR] Soli/NSC/LSC ISKalyst Invasion (Dec 15 0230)

Post by Raxon Noseworthy »

thank you for fleet i was guy in coercer trying to get shot at the flashy but miss clicked and bammo

always make sure when on gate that you only shoot flashy unless fc says to :oops:
Arashi Shizukana
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Arashi Shizukana »

The Neutalysts do work! That's a nice surprise :P

T1 fit for anyone who's curious (if you think ISKalysts are slow, wait till you see this thing):
Spoiler
[Catalyst, Neutalyst]

Type-D Restrained Capacitor Power Relay

Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Yuri Levnik

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Special thanks to Arashi for posting fits in Stacmon for the fleet (;
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Gemma Solett
Title: Sophomore

Post by Gemma Solett »

Great fun as always Yuri, it was an honour dying repeatedly for you :). Good luck in your future endeavors, hopefully we'll still see you from time to time.
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

First thing, I believe Yuri: you did VERY WELL as FC. Overall, you were more confident and quick on actions. Whole fleet was smooth and interesting.

Yes, ISKalysits is an interesting doctrine. Amazing 500 dps is just WOW. Those Tempest, Brutix, and Myrmidon just melted. Same as Nestor

TBH, I was surprised that Daniel Essig was waiting for us at 0. He knew we fly Catalysts, he knew we had 19 guys in a fleet... His 2nd engagement was more reasonable, he was trying to kite us and get 2 kills solo... I would suggest if the first time he flew all 3 kiting ships he would kill much more of us.
Also, from perspective of ISK efficiency, primarying Hecate was the right choice, to reduce DPS quicker primarying Catalysts, even free fire on them would reduce DPS much quicker.

@Yuri: I believe you also should not warp fleet at 0, but first send a scout to see where is the opponent and if he would not be at 0... do something to land closer.

I would like a bit deeper the way I lost ships this time and what I learned from this.

1. Catalyst, trying to bait Kronos to aggress.
I was out of scram/web range, aligned out and shooting him. When fleet left the grid I expected he will aggress me, I will point him, and call fleet to come back. And hopefully, 18 catalysts will melt Kronos in 60 seconds. But, Kronos was not aggressing me until I reached 25 km and decided to turn back... as soon as I dealigned he aggressed me. I called fleet to come back, and tried to warp away, but he killed me and warped away before fleet landed.

What could I do better, maybe warp away and warp back at 0... but, that's a station game and opponent was experienced playing it.

2. Jackdaw, baiting Nestor and Silver Magnate.
It was interesting, Harai found gang in Large, we warp in, he was primatied and run away, I played a little with them to keep busy while fleet lands. When I see time to warp away... somehow I could not. Either I messed up control, or whatever, but they caught me. Glad we got that Nestor though :)

3. Jackdaw, fighting agains Falcon and Co.
I probably should have left the grid earlier, but being a juicy target was primaried.

Small summary.

Positive:

1. Flying a small gang of T3D as scouts for a gang of ISKalysts was interesting. We were a good bait :) and I'm sure that Nestor would not warp on top of t1 destroyers.
2. I've seen quite many FCs in the fleet, and encourage you guys to take turn and FC Small Gang Thursdays! I don't claim this as my day and even more, would love if somebody supported the idea. Just post fleet to the calendar or let me know you want to FC it.

Could be better:

1. I call that first try of flying to gangs in same fleet in 2 different channels was not great. Often we forgot to whisper and were called to do. Quite a few times, we needed to do the same to Yuri's squad. That's not a big deal, but it was looking like "guys, please shut-up" which I'm not comfortable. I'm interested to hear feedback from regular pilots: did you feel it was a good idea? Was it executed poorly or it was ok? We can try this again though.
2. I feel I don't like flying T3D with no logies support.
3. I'm not as good flying kity ships, need to keep practice.
4. FCing (even temporary, when FC is off-grid) from a different ship was hard, expectedly. I had different optimal, speed, etc...
Raxon Noseworthy

Post by Raxon Noseworthy »

yes i agree especially when there are 2 different gangs coms need to be more disciplined.

also I need to work on me being more precise on ship type while scouting