[FLEET] 2017 12 07 Magic Merlins loose 2 fleet fights

Union Pivo
Title: LSC Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

[FLEET] 2017 12 07 Magic Merlins loose 2 fleet fights

Post by Union Pivo »

Roam members (17) - NOTE: This section is NOT usually included in AARs.
Spoiler
Adrien Claremont
Alf Saissore
Auric Fulcrum
B'aldrick Aivoras
Decklin Quark Reiger
Harai Rex
Jax Renalard
Kora K
Megoste
Muzzy Chuck
Phaethonx Brutor
Raijin Naom
Seraphine Mara
Union Pivo
Zarquu Fussuhfusus
Zeerse Solaris
shureer Yassavi
Scouts: Harai Rex, Kora K
Logi Scout: Decklin Quark Reiger
Logi: Adrien Claremont, Decklin Quark Reiger, Jax Renalard

So there wasn't any fleet on calendar, so I created one. We had nice turnout for last minute fleet. Again i picked Magic Merlins because most people have merlins in hangars.

The formup was slightly too long, will try to get it faster next time.

There was a loki fleet in Dastrins that we evaded. We found Briscul Anne in rouge swarm site, in Maelstorm. We all agreed that it was bait, but took the bait anyway 8)
We couldn't break maelstorm, and when other ships warped to the site, I should have called to scater immediately or called for killing of bifrost.
Fortunatly it was close to LSC so people reshiped quicky.

Kills and Losses
(19:48:22Z) Agoze
Slasher -7.77m
Burst -11.3m
Merlin -11.66m
Merlin -7.95m

Our scouts tackled trasher and Hookbil, and for some reason magus jumped into us. Good for us bad for him :D

(20:18:45Z) Oicx
Magus +275.88m
Caldari Navy Hookbill +22.12m
Thrasher +12.73m

We found another PVE player. I think this is the firs time I saw CNI, so of course we killed it :D

(20:42:13Z) Raihbaka
Caracal Navy Issue +104.37m
Capsule +0.01m

Kora spotted Glasi Vookto so we tried to kill him. It didn't work out for us. I guess I should have known that we couldn't even catch it,
and we didn't have long webs we needed to pin it down.

(20:45:37Z) Kinakka
Slasher -5.69m
Merlin -6.46m
Slasher -7.76m
Slasher -5.34m

Jax Renalard left us at this point, but Megoste came to fill his spot.

After that we went to Ichoria to reship, when Captain Cean contacted Kora if we want to fight their algos fleet.
Of course we accepted. After quick biobreak, Captain Cean spoted fleet of several battlecruisers in Pavanaka and asked us if we want
to doubleteam them. Unfortunately BC's left before we could reach them, so we set up in medium for fight with Holy Cookie.

This was my first fleet fight i have FC'd.
We stared killing their t1 logi, and they stared killing our DPS. Logi did warn me that they were not holding, but i though if we kill enough of their logi, we could start taking their DPS ships. But by the time we finished with their t1 logi we lost most of our DPS ships, so I called to scater.

Looking back I probably shouldn't called scatter back when I did, since several of us were tackled, so only logi and 2 DPS ships managed to get away. We might as well stayed there and tried to kill a few of their algoses. Or should have called to scatter as soon as logi called that they didn't hold.

Also during fleet fights I was not talking enough since flying the ship, trying to keep an eye of the overall situation and broadcasting took most or all of my concentration. Even though we lost a fight I had lots of fun, and it was a good experience and a good fight.

After the fleet Kora mentioned that we were splinting DPS, I wasn't paying attention to that and I should have.

(21:14:07Z) Pavanakka
Kestrel -11.17m
Merlin -7.8m
Inquisitor +7.08m
Merlin -7.73m
Atron -13.15m
Merlin -3m
Inquisitor +15.19m
Merlin -6.7m
Merlin -7.1m
Inquisitor +7.04m
Merlin -7.21m
Merlin -7.83m
Merlin -4.91m
Burst -6.37m
Capsule -47.83m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule - Genolution 'Auroral' 197-variant -0.01m

After that I was podded back to Stackmon, and Zarquu Fussuhfusus, took a few survivors back home.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 437,378,818.24
ISK Lost: 194,769,743.33
ISK Delta: 242,609,074.91
Efficiency: 69.189%

All in all, I think it was a fun fleet even if it dragged in some parts.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Re: [FLEET] 2017 12 07 Magic Merlins loose 2 fleet fights

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

It was fun, quite a few different engagements to keep it interesting.

On the Hcook fight, I think we believed when it was arranged they wouldn't have logi, making it a reasonable fight to see if we could kill some Algos before they went through our entire fleet, but they did have logi. Given the fleet sizes were quite similar, we were outgunned and if it was me, I would have the fleet move on once we'd dscanned incoming logi.

I like Holy Cookies approach to things but it's only 50/50 they bring a good fight, and Dessies vs frigs in similar numbers wasn't one unfortunately. Theres nothing wrong with an FC deciding not to take content as well in my view, don't feel pressured into providing it if it's not right.

Other than that, I guess 2 of the 3 logi ignored mumble and chat not to have me pre-locked as it was correctly pointed out by me and Decklin that I'd be primary, we weren't holding anyway but it would have given us a few more seconds to do something before we lost our first ship.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Captain Cean

Post by Captain Cean »

Zeerse Solaris wrote: I like Holy Cookies approach to things but it's only 50/50 they bring a good fight.
I Always Try to blanace but its hard cause the Terms change fast.
we Hadn't planed to outgun you, when we asked for the fight we where 9 Guys in Fleet ( 3 Logi) when we start moving the fourth Logi jumped on Coms and joined us.
The Other "Problem" was that we had the Info that you have 15 People (Or 15 DPS cant remember atm) so i guess some people left fleet by the reship.

And can't say why we burned so hard through your DPS when i check KM's it looks like the most didn't get reps. For Example Union Tanked arround 2x amount of DMG compared to the most merlins, and i also believe he only died cause he called the scatter (still right decision there).
Sure i dont have the insight how the Fight looked on your side but i believe some of the DPS called late for Reps.

Still Union did a good Job there.
especially cause it was his first fleet fight.

You cant always choose you content and its better to take a hard fight, lose and improve than taking no fights or only free kills.
I am looking forward on our next fight like always o7
Union Pivo
Title: LSC Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

Post by Union Pivo »

I don't regret taking the fight. I do think that if I communicated better, checked for people not spliting DPS and repeted
that people should approach the target we were shooting, we could have done better. We would ultimately still loose the fight, but we could have killed more of the cookie fleet.
Kora K
Title: Graduate

Post by Kora K »

Union Pivo wrote:I don't regret taking the fight. I do think that if I communicated better, checked for people not spliting DPS and repeted
that people should approach the target we were shooting, we could have done better. We would ultimately still loose the fight, but we could have killed more of the cookie fleet.
People will always split dps during the fleet fight. I usually keep repeating the primary and tell people not to split dps even if they're are not doing it. It keeps people in check at least :)
Captain Cean

Post by Captain Cean »

Kora K wrote:
Union Pivo wrote:I don't regret taking the fight. I do think that if I communicated better, checked for people not spliting DPS and repeted
People will always split dps during the fleet fight. I usually keep repeating the primary and tell people not to split dps even if they're are not doing it. It keeps people in check at least :)
True Story
Broadcast + Repeating on Coms the whole time is the best way to keep MOST people on track
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Kora K wrote:
An additional point, as FC you do need to lock many targets and see if people shoot anything than just primary and call for it. If you have the situation completely under control and luxury of time, feel free to take a look who is shooting a non-primary and call it. Maybe person just get lost and needs help but is shy to ask.
And yeah, just keep repeating 'primary is XYZ, secondary is ZYI' until primary is killed. It could sounds dumn if you never saw other FCs doing it, but once I've been in a fleet when ONLY and FCs energy on how he called and switched primaries changed a 'draw' into a 'victory'.
Looking back I probably shouldn't called scatter back when I did, since several of us were tackled, so only logi and 2 DPS ships managed to get away. We might as well stayed there and tried to kill a few of their algoses. Or should have called to scatter as soon as logi called that they didn't hold.
I think the call to scatter was done at a pretty much right time.
First, there are not too much content, and even if slightly outnumbered you can get kills and can have fun fighting. So you better take fights. Don't remember exactly who from FCs told, but he told: I take fights eve if I have only 25% chance to win.
As fight progressed, you realized you are losing: you lost logies (hopefully logies clearly communicated that), you lost many DDs, there are no point getting everybody dead. So call scatter at some point. And it will be always situation that somebody is tackled.
Yet, I believe that as FC you need to take some actions to increase chances for people to survive: prepare people to scatter by giving commands like, we are going to scatter soon, everybody align-out to the sun. Give 3-5 seconds and call warp to the sun at 50km. The delay from starting aligning out to initiate the warp should not be too long unless you have reason to delay it. For instance, you can want to kill the last target. Though with blaster fits that probably not going to work. Another reason to delay could be to pull the range and run out of points. Chances that opponents won't have many quick ships so almost everybody with small exception can drop tackles from themselves. in this case you need to call align-out, pre-heat you prop mode, turn on the prop mode.
Not that I always do this way myself, :) but i'm trying :)
Also during fleet fights I was not talking enough since flying the ship, trying to keep an eye of the overall situation and broadcasting took most or all of my concentration.

Do you use hot-keys for broadcasts and modules? As FC you can ask somebody to help you with broadcasts.
Even though we lost a fight I had lots of fun, and it was a good experience and a good fight.
Absolutely, congrats with a good fleet!
Glasi Vookto

Post by Glasi Vookto »

Union Pivo wrote: Kora spotted Glasi Vookto so we tried to kill him. It didn't work out for us. I guess I should have known that we couldn't even catch it,
and we didn't have long webs we needed to pin it down.

(20:45:37Z) Kinakka
Slasher -5.69m
Merlin -6.46m
Slasher -7.76m
Slasher -5.34m
I saw Kora checking me out and I knew there was a Uni fleet to follow, just didn't know what you guys were in. When I saw Merlins, i decided to stay and fight, although it was risky. Merlins with logi can be deadly if they get on top of you, and they are faster than my Phantasm. Luckily for me, instead burning at me as a group together with your logi, you guys spread out perfectly allowing me to kill a few before they caught reps.
Budda Sereda wrote:An additional point, as FC you do need to lock many targets and see if people shoot anything than just primary and call for it. If you have the situation completely under control and luxury of time, feel free to take a look who is shooting a non-primary and call it. Maybe person just get lost and needs help but is shy to ask.
That is not the reason you lock multiple targets. If people split dps, you may miss it regardless of how many targets you have locked. You lock targets so you can easily switch tackle and primaries. Never fill your locking slots though, always leave one or two empty in case you missed a priority target or you have newcomers to the party. As FC you shouldn't waste your time looking at who's shooting who in the middle of the fight, that's too much. Keep repeating the primary and telling people to focus fire, that's a lot more important. If you expect issues with split fire, don't call a secondary until the primary is dead, that often confuses newer players.
Kora K
Title: Graduate

Post by Kora K »

Glasi wrote:Luckily for me, instead burning at me as a group together with your logi, you guys spread out perfectly allowing me to kill a few before they caught reps.
I told them to not be like me and just burn to the phantasm :D