[AAR] Moon Mining Extravaganza

Cryptic Sharvas
Title: Pochven Fleet Captian

[AAR] Moon Mining Extravaganza

Post by Cryptic Sharvas »

This will be the day that everyone in E-UNI was a moon miner.

History

I think it's important to start here. Why? because all crazy ideas and massive fleets first have a good grounding in reality.

Idea 1.0

The first iteration of this idea was to get a Refinery and install it in a low sec off the beaten path system in low sec near the AMC. Greagan and I were going to stock this with Procurers and run a shared can every so often, while keeping it mostly shutdown because fuel costs. it was going to be quiet, calm and not very well advertised. sticking with the AMC method of no events in the calendar I think it would have been interesting. We got a refinery from Tal Tracyn and started to camp the system to find out who the locals are. Of note here, there were locals.

Idea 1.1

Eadrom from the NSC then started a spreadsheet of moons at the NSC and there was a lot. Greagan and I were very surprised that refineries were being setup at the NSC but it should have been expected. So we started thinking about maybe just getting one moon and mining that out. We started discussing the movement of this op to the NSC. we also looked at the prizes we had gathered up. we were looking at around 1 to 2 Billion in prizes turns out when Idea 2.0 came around this would grow to epic levels and be something of an entire moth in planning.

Idea 2.0

While this idea was forming and the Refinery was cooking, during one of my shared cans an unnamed Unista dropped into comms and asked when we would do a shared can in NSC for Moon mining. Greagan and I discussed this, at length. We both were aware of NSC's refinery plans, and we concluded that we didn't have the manpower/willpower to defend our own low sec mining facility. So we decided that we would move the op to NSC. I contacted 2 refinery owners. I figured based on my Shared cans we could clear 6 belts in a session. I vastly underestimated the sizes of these moon belts. Both refinery owners agreed to the 3 week notice date and set their refineries to pull up moon chunks specifically for this operation. I had 7 refineries in total and a date that was 3 weeks out. Now the real work began.

I started by stopping my weekly shared can at the AMC. I know this is an enjoyable isk maker but this planning was going take work. Greagan got to work making bubbles and more prizes. We had bubbles to bubble the bubbles with when they were already in bubbles. Funny side note: there is a character named Bubbles that routinely gives the NSC guys a good fight. I really wanted to see Bubbles in a bubble surrounded by more bubbles. I also started to talk to staff about the event and Yuri was recommended as a combat FC to protect the fleet. We had long talks about the best ways to organise this and the best gates to camp and where to setup bubbles and fleet comp including special snowflakes that make the fleet work better. We formed plans for being hot dropped on and how best to handle being camped in station etc. It started as a private slack chat between 4 players in staff slack and grew into a whole slack sub channel and many more voices coming in to give advice.

In the end these Unistas joined in on the planning: Cryptic Sharvas, Greagan Tonathias, Kontxesi Buchanan, Matt Ross, Yuri Levnik, Anna Iwaira, Bora Vyvorant, Crimson Herring, Dominic Altol, Frostdragon Dallocort, Lanik Solette, Maximus Hert, Mongo The Mechanic, Nabs Hawk, Nunnery Michigan, Richard Starwalker, Staberinde, Sturym, and Titus Tallang. We were also supervised by Laura Karpinski, which iss very good indication that things were moving to an epic level.

Speaking of which, whenever Greagan says "Hey Cryptic" from now on I'm going to cower in a corner. That is how we end up in low sec in Bantams on youtube (yes it was recorded by the other side) or in corvettes at the eve gate or mining the most massive moon belts I have ever seen.

The invites to come and join the moon mining extravaganza went out early. I figured I wanted this to be university wide event because moon mining is new and I wanted everyone to have an opportunity to try it out and see what it was all about. After posting the original post to the AMC forums I spammed all the Slack channels I was allowed in. There was no going back 3 weeks out and everyone had time to plan to either be a combat pilot and die protecting the miners or be a miner and die mining rocks. I figured either way we were going to die.

I started moving the prizes to Jita and the supplies for the bubbles, I decided to be smart and use a well known shipping service to get it across the choke points. Turns out I now have a 3 of 6 success rate at having my stuff delivered. However, with isk in my pocket from the collateral I was able to buy more prizes in Jita including a shiny rattlesnake and 2 Gilas. (In total 80 ships would be given away)

A week before the operation I moved to NSC to catch up with all the goods I had shipped in. It is at this point I want to thank the NSC jump freighter service. I had maybe 10 different shippings and most of them were full shippings. I shipped in 25 procurers, 4 battleships for me to be blown up in, plus all the fittings and bubbles. I know a few other people shipped in their own stuff. Without the jump freighter service this would not have happened.

I got procurers ready to go. I scouted Greagan's orca in from Solitude to NSC. I arranged to move Procurers from AK- to PC9 (the AMC super secret stash) I got blown up in an executioner 3 times while joining combat stuff for fun. It was a great time spent at NSC. I also organized mad dashes to get stuff that I had forgotten like ventures. I lit cynos, multiple times. Thing left to do at NSC. light a cyno during combat. For the 2 or 3 days before the event the local roamers turned up the heat and it did disrupt the logistics somewhat in this process. for example we had to put reships in T22 for the combat pilots.

The Operation

I signed on about an hour before the op and Yuri was getting things setup. I jumped in and setup the mining wing and added some stuff to the MOTD. I was as ready as I was every going to be. I started handing out procurers to those that needed mining ships and ventures. I had a donation that added 25 procurers to the AMC NSC stock pile and 12 procurers from our original stock pile. I gave out 26 and we had other miners with their own ships.

And so it began with 135 in fleet, including the combat wing. This fleet was big. I called right away for a 2nd Orca pilot and 3 Miasmos pilots. Turns out 3 Miasmos pilots couldn't keep up and we needed 1 or 2 more. Also turns out that Moon belts are huge and 2 Orcas isn't enough. At the height of everything We ended up fielding 5 Orcas and 4 Miasmos pilots just to keep up with the miners. 155 pilots joined us for this event in total.

The other effect of the massive fleet was I wasn't going to be able to keep up with laser on/off times as well as combat pilot in/out times. I decided to scrap attempting to do that and either go with an equal weighted share or figure out how to use the logs. Turns out logs are easy to use to see when people joined and left fleet and this is what is being used to compile in and out times. if you were docked up and remained in fleet please contact me with your approximate dock up time.

We started in T22 and mined only the best ore from the 3 refineries located there. after the combat fleet opened a door for us we went to 5-D and started on the first 2 belts. I kept an evepraisal link going through the operation. I figured this would give everyone a sense of how much this moon goo was worth. Turns out when you get widely differing values 14.92 Billion sell value and 5.93 Billion Buy value. please do not expect the high end of this value.

That said I later found out someone mined Dense Veldspar and Golden Omber. I suspect an AMCer trolling me. :P

This operation lasted 7 hours and was one of the longest continual times I've been signed into eve.

The Ore is all collected in 2 stations and I am in the process of selling it off. As the price of the ore on the Jita market is non-existent, I am stuck trying to do this in a different way. Here's how I'm handling it. I know what all the rocks refine too at 100% refining (does not actually exist) I also know the mineral/moon goo prices in Jita, which is a more stable market. I have taken into account refinery losses and how much of each mineral I would get from the refinery process. This is used to calculate how much each unit of ore is worth. I do have some adjustment to make on the refinery losses but I can give a rough estimate of 6 Billion in ore mined.

The good:

I successfully answered the question I've been given for 3 months "When is the AMC going to mine moons?" Well we just did
I gained a whole new perspective into the logistics behind setting up a university wide event
Not a single miner blew up.
The whole University came out - We practically declared sovereignty over the PC9 pocket. (I know it's not sov-null but for 7 hours it was completely and totally owned by E-UNI) I'm sure Yuri's combat AAR will have a list of "nopes" that happened.
I can see a big event through to the end (it's not finished)
I had an alt in a Battleship one shotting the battlecruiser rats it was lots of fun.

The bad:

I feel like I froze up and was in the wrong ship (I did miasmos work) I should have been more in belt watching what everyone was mining. at the size of our operation I don't think I needed more then a frigate so much was happening.
I should have delegated prize draws to another person.
I should have better assigned jobs to mining teams so that each Orca would have a team of miners that would keep close and dump into the fleet hanger and they would be responsible for moving around the belt an mining out 1 type of ore each. or take an area of effect and mining out everything in that area.
I needed to better communicate to the miners how to setup their overview for the moon rocks. I really should have put together a tutorial on how to do this and I did have an opportunity to check out my own settings before hand.
I picked too many moons. Why is this a minus? Because I could have halved the number of moons and still had plenty of ore to mine. Also because I tied up moon mining operations for 2 refinery owners they couldn't do their normal industry. I have learnt about how much to bite off next time.
I have procurers in the fleet, with how well we had the defense setup we could have been mining in covetors.

The crazy:

155 pilots in fleet?????? I will take that as confirmation that everyone really did want to mine moons
Survey scan of the first belt showed 3 billion in ore. This was when I knew we weren't getting everything.

Thanks

Greagan - crazy doesn't happen without you
Yuri - no pretty mining ship explosions
Anna - Logistics fun, I enjoyed working with you at getting everything in place. Cyno for lyfe yo!
Frostdragon and Nabs - Thanks for the rocks!
Everyone else - thanks for coming out.

Remaining work to be done

1. I am in the process of selling everything off - payments will not go out until I have sold it all
2. I am contracting to everyone their prizes please accept the prize as soon as you get the contract so that I can move on. not accepting the contract delays others from getting their ships.
3. Pay everyone

The spreadsheet can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2023756036

If you are interested in buying moon goo. please comment here:

https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 2&t=107334

Regards,

Cryptic Sharvas
Mining FC 2nd class
Image ImageImageImageImage
Eadrom Vintarus
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects (NSC, LSC, Solitude, FCC), Ensign, Mentor, Graduate

Re: [AAR] Moon Mining Extravaganza

Post by Eadrom Vintarus »

Outstanding job to everyone involved here for an op: success!

I hope the AMC will come back soon and regularly! We have lots of moons eager for the AMC's tender affections. = D
\o/ Retired \o/ Director of Special Projects - NSC, LSC, Solitude Campuses, and the Fleet Command Course
Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!
Looking for small gang PVP and BLOPs'ing? Look at J-Drop today!

Yuri Levnik

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Hoo buddy, this was a big one! Cryptic, Greagan, mining buddies - it was an honor to defend you while you did whatever it is you guys do to moon rocks. I don't know anything about mining except somehow it creates pretty new hulls and modules for me to get exploded (;

I won't go into detail on the plans because #opsec. However, here are some high-level details:
  • -We used a double HIC bubble camp with HICs and (mostly) RESEBOed instalockers on both sides of the gate we were camping.
    -Our doctrine was Feroxes/Ospreys with EWAR for alphas and a sprinkling of ECM.
    -We had a couple of roamers on hand to chase interceptors that got past us and patrol the pocket.
Overall, while we had a number of folks come have a look at us, nobody challenged the camp and the miners got to mine in peace. We did have a few kills:

Early on, an interceptor scout jumped back and forth through our bubbles a couple times but got cocky and got caught and popped. Seemed like an OK guy though, would explode again.
(17:54:35Z) PC9-AY
Taranis +58.1m

Oh'Leeador was roaming and running security in the pocket and caught this apparently PVE fit Rupture. Arguably not a fleet kill but the MC guys had intel on us so I'll include it anyway.
(18:41:54Z) PC9-AY
Rupture +36.36m

A capsule decided to jump into our bubble. Bye bye!
(19:43:11Z) PC9-AY
Capsule +0.01m

Our roaming buddies caught an unfueled V0LTA cyno n00bship. Maybe the plan was to buy fuel in station? Hard to say.
(22:09:32Z) PC9-AY
Velator +1.59m

A couple of Svipuls got confused and thought they were interceptors and jumped into the "outside" bubble camp. One of them managed to warp off but we got the other and a blingy pod kill too.
(22:44:23Z) PC9-AY
Svipul +110.88m
Capsule +190.53m

Our only loss of the night - I had requested reships to logi and a few pilots agreed to reship. One of 'em got to T22 and shipped up OK but got caught on the way back in his brand new Osprey. I had intel that PC9 was not secure but thought he would be clear to tether at Coruscant while he tried to rejoin us );
(23:41:59Z) PC9-AY
Osprey -10.3m
Capsule -0.01m

An Imicus who apparently did not know how to use Local chat or DSCAN landed in the bubble. Oops...
(00:28:54Z) X-PYH5
Imicus +7.52m

Combat stats:
Killed: 404,990,000
Lost: 10,310,000
Delta: +394,680,000
Efficiency: 98%

Our old buddy and famous/notorious NSC alum Saanguinee showed up toward the tail end of the fleet. I gave orders not to shoot him and we palled around for a bit. He had an Obelisk he apparently no longer wanted and requested that we help him commit insurance fraud. Kill omitted from stats for obvious reasons (;
(01:04:40Z) PC9-AY
Obelisk +1141.69m

Overall, we put a lot of planning into the defense fleet and were rewarded with a flawless defense of the miners and a lot of sitting around twiddling our thumbs. Great work, defense fleet - I know this wasn't the most exciting fleet I've FC'd, but it was definitely the most profitable. I'll take the Feroxes out again soon to get some actual fights.

A few notes for next time:
  • -Need webs and tackle, both with RESEBO on mining side of gate to help catch stuff that tries to crash gate.
    -Need a more established procedure for moving the camps when the miners need to move.
    -Had opfor come through a wormhole behind us in ZN0 (Legion, Cerberus). Undesirable. Need to roll holes or figure out a way to camp them.
    -Should update roaming squad to 1-2 tackle, an interdictor and a couple more fast combat ships to chase interceptors that get past the camp and respond to small stuff that undocks behind us.
    -Should have recommended that anyone not in a Ferox fly an Osprey. Logi numbers dwindled toward the end of the fleet and Ospreys > Caracals.
Huge thanks to everyone who came out!!! Special combat fleet thanks to my 2IC, Kontxesi Buchanan, to my various wing commanders: Anna Iwaira, Azalee Madeveda, Calder Ormand, Crimson Herring, Laser Skaron, Maximus Hert and Staberinde, and to my HIC pilots (who will remain unnamed because #opsec; you know who you are though).
Yuri
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Atomsk Agittain
Title: Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TM™, Sophomore

Post by Atomsk Agittain »

I would like to thank Greagan, Cryptic, and Yuri along side everyone else for making this possible. It was a fantastic event and just a blast to be apart of. I can't speak for everyone at the AMC but as someone who is just now starting to shrug off the carebear attitude events like this are a great way to see the complexity of large scale combat fleets.

Yuri and the rest of the combat fleet did a fantastic job keeping almost flawless job keeping things away from us. The only thing I can recall showing up on grid was I believe an interceptor. In the joy of messing with us he warped to our Porpoise, this was almost a mistake. Why is that you may ask, strip miners don't damage ships. Well we did have Cryptic and his battleship, we also had two guys from the EWAR team to aid us (special thanks to them for volunteering to hang with is rather than the combat fleet). However the real kicker was our drone ball. We had 50+ ships all with a full flight of combat drones. That consisted primarily of Hobgoblins II's, five acolyte II's (I'm a noob and don't have all my drone skills), 20ish Hobgolbin I's, and two flights of Federation Ogres. that is some 250+ drones with an estimated ~3000 DPS. Our interceptor friend found this out the hard way. Luckily for him he warped to the sparse side of our belt and did not feel the full force of the drone ball, even so we broke his shields before he could burn away.

The only real suggestion I would make and I could be completely wrong was that we did not have webs on the mining side.

Also I managed to get some pictures/gifs of the crazy on the mining side and will get them up just as soon as I am able.

Once again thank you to everyone involved, it was awesome and I hope that we get to do this again at some point.
Cryptic Sharvas

as for webs if I was to do this again, I would make sure each procurer has 1 Warp Diruptor, 1 Warp scrambler, and 1 Webifier int he hold. then each team that follows an orca can self assign who is going to have what module. this would allow the team to work better when the ships come by.
Sturym

Post by Sturym »

I didn't see it mentioned, but maybe it was a TL;DR moment, but here is my biggest input.

EXCELLENT COMMS CONTROL. That needed to be in all caps. We had a few here and there that had issues with whisper, but we were able to maintain primarily radio silence while the commanders and squadleaders communicated. Matt (HIC-T22) did a fantasic job communicating when his bubble was going up and going down. I did my best to do the same. I feel we communicated very effectively consider we had over 130 people in fleet. (Not sure how many were in Comms on Mumble, but there was quite a few people in there for sure)

I do request next time that Cryptic speaks more... 1. I like the sound of his voice... 2. it seemed to generate content for us. More of #2 than #1, but still...

Great time, even if I stared at a beautiful bubble the whole time.
Cryptic Sharvas

Whenever I spoke on comms if it was longer then 2 minutes I'd hear "Break break break content incoming..."
Greagan Tonathias
Title: AMC Officer, Graduate

Post by Greagan Tonathias »

Comms control was impressive indeed. I would personally like to thank all who've attended, everything worked out and the op was spectacular.

Cryptic you rock dude although our plans were for something smaller, the sheer amount of folks who attended did make for a fun time.

Yuri, your combat fleet did exactly what we needed done you kept the badies away from the miners and deterred anything large being hotdropped.
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Bantams Are Love, Bantams Are Life. Nothing More to Say About That. Oh and My Ideas Are The Best!! If Its Not A Box Dont Fly It- friendly Reminder From Your Neighborhood Bantam Man.
Azalee Madeveda

Post by Azalee Madeveda »

It was great fun.

I agree that comms control was quite impressive given the number of capsuleers in fleet.

We should find something to keep the combat fleet busy, maybe take turn ratting close by or something, picketing for 7hours, albeit with great people, gets a bit monotonous.

Thanks everyone, 10/10 would do again.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Strontium Bob Bobbins
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Post by Strontium Bob Bobbins »

Great work to all of the people who organised this event. I have some insight into how laborious it is to help plan and form a small Uni fleet so this must have been huge work from multiple good people.
I attended for the defence fleet and we did have a quiet time all told, but this was still engaging and fun to be part of because although the comms were very disciplined, it was great crack inbetween the content and the 7 hours flew by.

10/10 would definitely support this type of activity again.

Bob
Cryptic Sharvas

Enough Isk has been gathered and payments will go out tonight. 155 players this might take me some time.
Emilia Stark
Title: Freshman

Post by Emilia Stark »

It was definitely worth attending, thanks to Cryptic and Yuri for having this fleet out! Alas, I didn't manage to attend for the whole 7 hours and it was a bit boring to hang on the gate without anything to kill, but I think I've learned much about nullsec gate camps, how to set them and how to avoid them.
Hope I'll have a chance to get some ore instead of picketing next time 8)
K950
Title: Sophomore

Post by K950 »

It was probably me who dropped randomly into AMC comms to ask about the subject. The idea was passed to me from someone from NSC, not sure who.

I'm glad that overall, the event was a success. There have been some concerns about payouts from some people - 35.7m or something like that for 7 hours of mining. It's rather low, I would agree. But I argued that you can't have cheap T2 mods and also get paid well.

Assuming this becomes a regular event in some capacity, I would also concur on keeping Covetors on hand. Both Procurers and Covetors. According to defense readiness and overall stability, reshipping into Covetors adds a nice increase to everybody's overall payout.

My regret is not being there -- I work weekends, so that's out of the window for me. Generally some half-baked NSC participant like me would be happy to set up a gatecamp and administer it for nothing -- we don't care so much about the payout, we want the kills and the shinies. An excuse to shoot at something we have a chance of killing rather than a green line in our wallet.
Cryptic Sharvas

Regarding payout for those that were there the whole time, They got 61 Million, Still not great.

In High-sec the miners can mine without the need for protection. Had they mined without protection (and didn't get dropped on) the amount would have been significantly higher/person. However the nature of the space we were in required the defense fleet and everyone in fleet needs to be paid.

I think this event did highlight to miners the riches that could be found in Null sec with the new moon mining.
K950
Title: Sophomore

Post by K950 »

Well I think we have to focus more on the "social" aspect of it -- it doesn't take much to have a OOC miner in HS laser on and alt-tab out. This however is a more active and (should) be more rewarding in turn. From an FC perspective, if we find Sudden Content Overflow on our door, having 90 miners swap out for PvP doctrine ships within 5 minutes call is a glorious thing.

The Uni is fundamentally weak with us being spread out to distant quarters of space.