[AAR] Kitchen-sink frigate roam (2017.11.05 @21:00)

Azalee Madeveda

[AAR] Kitchen-sink frigate roam (2017.11.05 @21:00)

Post by Azalee Madeveda »

Hi all,

So today I took my first fleet out and it was very interesting. I am not sure it went well but if I count the ISK it correctly we just about break even.
I doubt I remembered everything correctly below, if anything is inexact, let me know and I'll fix it.
Next time, following the Kontxesi Buchanan's advice I'll record the whole fleet to make sure I get it all right.

Roam members (20+)
Spoiler
FC: Azalee Madeveda
2FC: Padraic Musbrandt

Scouts:
Prieblanda Anstianski
Calder Ormand

Vanguard:
Gatt2111
Nelliver Cadigal (scouted a bit as well)
DonkeyPunch Udan (also scout 2nd half)
Zeerse Solaris (2nd half)
Gemma Solett (2nd half)

Agavyn Hikshi
Ares Dodekatheon
Calvin Fidard
Garm Zandor
Genevieve Nakrar
Ivika Starfury
Jehoshaphat Ambraelle
Jim Electron
Jonathan Wolf
Kontxesi Buchanan
Misty Snowbird
Rohan Amadeus
Scratchoz
Shiv Nir
Space Warfare Development
Wokum
Yrgrasil
vwgli
Formup started a bit before 2100. Good turn up, I think we had 23 in fleet at peak which was good.
After the new bro speech we promptly undocked from Stacmon with Pynekastoh as a first destination.

Just a couple systems away scouts found a Harbinger in a Plex in Agoze.
I got confused and did not realised they had already engaged, by the time I realised my mistake, we had already lost 2 scouts and a vanguard.

(21:22:48Z) Agoze
Atron -7.23m
Slasher -1m
Merlin -9.29m

Nelliver filled in for our scouts while they reship and we continue our roam.
While on the Melmaniel gate in Oueletta, a flashy Tristan jumps into us. The scout on the other side had warned us, so we were ready to tackle and engage. It quickly exploded.

(21:32:06Z) Ouelletta
Tristan +13.35m

Kills in a Plex in Albune, I do not remember the exact timeline. I think I had the fleet jump a little too late and scouts had to warp off.

(21:43:24Z) Abune
Breacher +9.46m
Tristan +4.72m
Capsule +0.01m

A coercer was located in a Plex, scout got tackle. I think that I ordered the fleet to jump a little late again.
But tackle was maintained and we got it. We did lose 3 ship, including mine.
Padraic Musbrandt filled in as FC while I reshipped.

(21:49:28Z) Pynekastoh
Slasher -2.86m
Atron -5.67m
Slasher -5.5m
Coercer +26.53m

I am unsure about these next 2 engagements as I was reshipping

(22:03:55Z) Pynekastoh
Atron -7.13m

(22:04:16Z) Hikkoken
Kestrel -5.34m
Capsule -0.01m

I caught-up with the fleet, decided to go to Ichorya so that we could reship and have a small break.
After the break, the destination was set back to Stacmon, hoping to find content along the way.

On the way back we managed to get a couple of destroyer at Plexes

(22:26:37Z) Aldranette
Atron -23.34m
Cormorant +12.38m

(22:31:27Z) Vlillirier
Algos +9.91m
Punisher -8.59m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 76,358,420.5
ISK Lost: 75,961,124.72
ISK Delta: 397,295.78
Efficiency: 50.13%

Other interesting event :
On the way back, scouts found something at 90km outside a plex possibly align to the sun. I asked scouts and vanguard to engage and ask the fleet to warp to the sun to catch it if it indeed warps there. A large frigate fleet (30+) arrived in the system. and started landing on us at the sun. I ordered a scatter. We regrouped at a safe. I don't think we lost anyone. I seems the consensus was that the fleet was too large for us and we moved onto the next system.

What Went Well
- The navigation through systems went alright. No lemmings and noone lagging behind too much.
- We got kills !
- Scouts did a great job
- 2FC jumped in immediately when I announced I was popped, seamless transition

What Went Wrong
- The "harbinger incident" is pretty bad, I did not have feedback or misunderstood them while the scouts and vanguard were getting destroyed.
- I did not always know where the scouts were. At some point I had the fleet jump while actually the Plex they were talking about was in the current system
- I feel like my orders were sometimes a bit confusing
- At some point the fleet split between 2 different novice plex as I did not communicate clearly which one was the correct one

Paths of improvement
- My intentions need to be made clearer, I feel like there was some confusion at some points. Especially with scouts, my instructions were not always clear.
- I should also ask for more feedback from scouts to ensure I understand where they are and what is happening
- I need to get my timing better, when a scout is going to engage in a Plex to ensure the fleet get there in time. I should probably make better use of vanguard
- I don't know enough of the ships yet, I need to recognise more ship names and be able to know their class and usual fit
- I only remembered about fleet warp toward the end of the fleet, I should use it more
- I need to find a better pacing, make decision quicker, it was probably too slow at some points.
- Record the fleet so that I can write the AAR better

Feedback form
Please provide feedback about your experience in this fleet through this form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1
Get in touch in game as well !

Thanks
Thanks to everyone for coming along. Thanks to our scouts and vanguard for finding content !
Thanks to the more experienced player who offered their advice and particularly to Kontxesi Buchanan for her insight during and after the fleet.

See you all in space
o7
Azalee
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jonathan Wolf
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Kitchen-sink frigate roam (2017.11.05 @21:00)

Post by Jonathan Wolf »

Fleet was really nice. The only problem was chaos on comms sometimes. You and scouts should use "brake brake" before important info/commands, and declare combat comms before engaging(when scouts are jumping to occupied plex would be good moment). Thanks for the fleet, I'm waiting for another one :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ImageImage
Ares Dodekatheon
Title: HSC Manager, Lieutenent, Graduate

Post by Ares Dodekatheon »

Thank you for the fleet. This was quite well for a first one. Keep up good work o7
Macte animo! Generose puer sic itur ad astra.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

We had inexperienced scouts, I think the Harbinger was sniping as they tried to burn in, and if he was sitting there not running the site, an experienced scout would have seen the range of the first hit and probably warped out. The information was limited to 'I'm dead'.

It would have been good if the FC had forced the one inquisitor into a DD ship, the pilot didn't seem to accept the advice from anyone else and although we're only talking a little more dps from T1 frigs, better to bring something a little effective than something not at all.

Other than that, if it was me, I well might have gone for the bigger t1 frig fleet as a glorious way to end the fleet. It may have been possible to come out of that isk positive even if everyone died.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Yrgrasil
Title: Solitude Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

Post by Yrgrasil »

Zeerse Solaris wrote:It would have been good if the FC had forced the one inquisitor into a DD ship, the pilot didn't seem to accept the advice from anyone else and although we're only talking a little more dps from T1 frigs, better to bring something a little effective than something not at all.
This was an Kitchen Sink Fleet, so everyone could bring what the F they want. It has also not really helped to tell the Logi that he is, in your opinion, useless.
Nelliver Cadigal

Post by Nelliver Cadigal »

Hello.
First thanks for the fleet. Considering that this was your first as FC that was not too bad. These fleets seem to have an element chaos anyway.
Communication is key and I guess we all could have done better. When I filled in as scout there were some misunderstandings that could have been
avoided if I had relayed my position clearer.
Image Image Image Image
Ivika Starfury

Post by Ivika Starfury »

Thanks for the fleet. I second that the scouts did a pretty good job of finding targets.

Your summary and lessons learned are pretty spot on, I would add that a comms check before departure for the F.C.s, scouts and vanguards, would have avoided some of the issues with intel being whispered inaudible. Also, making sure all the new row knew how to use fleet history to warp to broadcast locations and making sure those locations were broadcast in a timely way may have helped to reduce confusion
Wokum

Post by Wokum »

Great fleet, thanks! Looking forward to the next one.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Yrgrasil wrote:
This was an Kitchen Sink Fleet, so everyone could bring what the F they want. It has also not really helped to tell the Logi that he is, in your opinion, useless.
Yes it is helpful, because it's worse, both to the fleet and that pilot, not to tell him and let him switch into something that will help the fleet, because I assume, any individual pilot wants to contribute rather than not.

The other option would have been to ask other pilots to switch to logi but that wouldn't happen in a kitchen sink due to the variety between armor and shield that the dd would be in, which is the whole point of why logi is not effective.

As you were in fleet, you would have seen a couple of others say the same thing in fleet chat, so it's not just my opinion.

That's why we're in the uni, to learn. The comment was more advice to the FC rather than singling out the pilot, as FC you will say to some people they need to reship, and this was one of those examples.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Yrgrasil
Title: Solitude Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

Post by Yrgrasil »

Zeerse Solaris wrote:Yes it is helpful, because it's worse, both to the fleet and that pilot, not to tell him and let him switch into something that will help the fleet, because I assume, any individual pilot wants to contribute rather than not.

The other option would have been to ask other pilots to switch to logi but that wouldn't happen in a kitchen sink due to the variety between armor and shield that the dd would be in, which is the whole point of why logi is not effective.
i fully agree with the "shield/armor" part, yes thats not that effective. But a single Logi can rep up something between 100-200dps in average, regarding to our most Targets this is sufficent. Another DD would probably add ~5% more Damage. We can discuss this whole "can a single logi be useful in specific situations or not" outside of this thread if wanted.
Zeerse Solaris wrote:As you were in fleet, you would have seen a couple of others say the same thing in fleet chat, so it's not just my opinion.
i was in fleet, and i was one of the others, the only problem is, that you misunderstood me, and you thought i was your opinion. (But this is most likely my fault, since i'am not that good in english^^)
Zeerse Solaris wrote:That's why we're in the uni, to learn. The comment was more advice to the FC rather than singling out the pilot, as FC you will say to some people they need to reship, and this was one of those examples.
I would agree if this was an doctrine fleet, but it was still an kitchen sink, if you want to learn something there, then it is that pvp can be fun, even without having the most effective comp around (and some other things like testing fits, learning fleet101 stuff etc.). I mean i flew a battle bantam, for most of the targets i was to slow to apply damage before it died. If i had flown a logi, even if i were alone, i would had contributed much more to the fleet as i had with this thing.