[WHC] Testing Domi's

Tylenos Targas
Title: WHC Admin Officer, Overdue for a podding, Mass Damps, tl;dr, Cannon Virtuoso, Inactive Softeners, Graduate

[WHC] Testing Domi's

Post by Tylenos Targas »

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away ....

Anyway, forming something against a mixed fleet like that always opens up the topic of what to form. I kind of enjoy bringing something that stands a chance but that does not immediately out escalate the other side, if that can at all be arranged (which isn't always, our people do seem to like to shoot stuff!)

During form up two scouting Astero's took it upon themselves to attack their 'eyes' sitting conspicuously on .Bacon while being fairly sure the enemy fleet had moved to other side. I do remember advising not to :lol:. (Wormhole space sees a ton of alts in covert ops or other cloaked frigates acting as information gathering 'eyes only' scouts) This Particular Heron turned out to be combat fit and with the assistance of one of his friends one Astero was lost. Quite needlessly, to be honest. There will always be eyes out and about, killing a Heron will not do much :) This gave us some intel not on the original ping though, the other side was X877., a decent wormhole corp we have skirmished with before.

After some time consuming difficulty finding a composition of fitting ships and pilots to uuuh pilot them we left our home Innuendo with a group of 2 Augoror logistics of our own, two Sacs to balance the Deimosts and three or four T1 battlecruisers to counter whatever they would bring next. One of those battlecruisers was anti-ECM fit to counter the Fa;lcon. While traveling to our target system the reported fleet seemed to have retreated and multiple Domi's where reported to be landing. Rolling us out, perhaps? We parked on .1 Z1 and put our awesome logi at range. Multiple wormhole activation brought us not 1, not 2 but SIX Domi... Domini's? Dominatos? Dominatrices? Dominix..es?

We engaged the Domi blob and found them to be repairing like mad. This was not a setup we could break with our fleet. We disengaged at the loss of several drones. It's a tough choice, but they will find new homes soon enough. Several options for Domi fit here: dual large armor repairer, single rep coupled with an ancillary rep, or remote repair fit.

Finding out if they are remote repair is fairly easy, you simply take a look!

potato quality added free of charge

Round-robin ships send each other capacitor (and various other kinds of support) all the time, to keep the tank running and keep all systems operational. This cap chain can be seen clearly with the yellow beam effect. The green beams will be a running remote armor repair. Similar effects can be found for shield transfer, active scrams, active webs etc. We have been testing the remote repair Domi ourselves lately, usually in pairs, with varying results (1 2 3). Six of them at once though is an entirely different matter, and together they have significant tanking prowess. Hard to counter, hard to kill, hard to hold on a wormhole. It's weakest point is probably its combined mass, with 600k tonnes moving through connections one way you use up over a quarter of one of Innuendos connections in one go.

With a limited amount of pilots available we discussed our options. A small blob of bombers with some lock breakers and simple explosive bombs can be very annoying for battleships, but undocking those would probably make our friends (or friend, as is rumored) leave. A T2 hull blob could probably tank his damage decently, but would still have trouble killing anything. If we broke a single Domi, it could always jump out. (Jump Destroyers had the undocking problem, and I wasn't sure a round-robin warp scrambler was not part of the equation).

Here I decided on a different tactic. We weren't dealing with just 6 Domi's. We had also seen a Sabre, and Interceptor, the Arazu and Falcon. I wanted to see if we could draw any of those out with a small Caracal fleet. It's pretty obvious, putting down rapid light missile fit Caracals, but you never know if someone gets greedy. If anything smaller than a cruiser shows up its dead. A cruiser itself has a good chance of dying too. After puttering around with those on grid for a bit they turned out to be patient. We took some pot-shots at a Domi and docked up again. Next vote was to just field some Guardians and Sacrileges and see what happens. We formed up again, appointed two volunteers to primary scram/web any enemy command destroyer, and warped into the fray.

Here I made the mistake of not asking the logi to stay with those volunteers, or appoint a logi commander or anchor. Guards where scatted and not bunched up with each other or the fleet. This left us vulnerable, especially with a CD on grid. It escaped our scrams and jumped one of the Guards a good 80km away from friendly's. One Guard would have not been much of a problem, if he had not promptly suffered a socket close at the same time. Another mistake was a second Guard bouncing from grid when his cap went dry. This was still fixable by properly reestablishing the capacitor chain. A mistake from inexperience, perhaps, so a good lesson learned. After this problem was communicated we where left with little choice but to abandon the fight. A solo Guard is a dead Guard.

At the time my support wagon was already on the brink of death and Martin found himself scram-webbed out of jump range. One Sac did escape through Bacon and had some trouble ditching overzealous combat scanners for a good hour afterward, but we got him free.

Killed: 0
Lost: 627,304,121.67 (including Astero)

Lesson learned: if you fly with WHC vetarns a lot you get used to the fleet being in part self organizing. Don't get lazy on the details, they matter :)
Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Re: [WHC] Testing Domi's

Post by Troven Smalvard »

GG can I not get 1 ping that gets snipped in an AAR that doesn't have my patented
- "wooooooo lets kill all the things i found" stammer shaking emergency typing typing
I was doing so well till i got to the combat recon bit and lost it, better than usual though, improvements ongoing.

Tylenos - felt like you handled this really well given the limited number of pilots and struggle to get us in a T1 comp initially to give - 'gud fight'
and tried to match without rage pinging for blob and enjoyed the build up immensely so extra thanks !!

Two obvious things learned:

I was never going to force the solo damnation to have to splash with RLMLs :lol:
Crispy hullgu confirms waaay more than 1000dps :oops: - thanks logi <3 and for shouting jump who ever did!!

battle report is unfair, I heroically cleared the escape route for youuse guys on the other side, couldn't get the sabre though :(

Malediction thats like almost 5% :raritywink:

hind sight 20/20 should have thought about their extract and caught the rolled out ones that moonwalked to hisec, was unfortunately in a no tackle falcon landing too late to crow bar Martin out and wave at his wreck

7/5 would engage the zombie potato cloud again - but with more brain.
ImageImage ImageImage