[AAR] BLAP Talwars 06/09/2017

Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[AAR] BLAP Talwars 06/09/2017

Post by Adrien Claremont »

While I think I learnt a lot during the very limited engagement we had, this fleet was unfortunately largely very dull I'd imagine for the vast majority of fleet members.

Roam members (18)
Spoiler
Adolf WeinerSchnit
Adrien Claremont
Altar Kabal
B'aldrick Aivoras
Barbara Blast
DonkeyPunch Udan
Etchard Yarghol
FrankTT2
Kernull
Kodyak Mack
Kora K
Koss Vha
Prieblanda Anstianski
Richard Starwalker
Trillian Ituin
Turlough Dominian
Union Pivo
Wokum
To set the scene a little...

The night before, Kora K had taken a 25-30 man Caracal roam out to Horde space. We didn't find much, with Horde unwilling to form a QRF even while we camped in 7RM. What did find during our stay in 7RM was some small stuff that we managed to gank.

24 hours later, I had this Talwar fleet penned in from PC9. My original plan was much the same as Kora's previous fleet, however seeing as we we're in Talwars I thought they'd be better for smaller skirmishes and picking off easy targets. To that end, we burned straight to 7RM (24 dull jumps of empty space) and started to camp one of their gates for traffic. I really wanted to just fly around freely, looking for ganks, and avoiding any silly QRFs. Nothing much was happening at all, but it looked like Horde might have been forming something for us, so I hung around to see what it was. After the long flight down here, we needed to do something.

While waiting, we managed to gank a lone Procurer who warped directly into us.

Kills and Losses
(19:17:42) F-NMX6
Procurer +61.5m
Capsule +0.01m

With only 18 of us, we certainly weren't in a position to put up much of a fight however there might be scope for some hit and run tactics on their light tackle. We jumped back and forth through the gate a couple of times when finally our scouts reported than a Vindicator was now at zero on the gate.

We overheated our hype pants and anchored ready for a fight. In jumps a sabre first who throws up a bubble only to be met with a furious barrage of Nova missiles.

In jumps the bait Vindicator next, which we ignore and immediately pull range.

Following the Vindicator was roughly a 40-50 man Caracal fleet with full Osprey support. Sigh. Ever so slightly overkill for our small gang but I hung around anyway with the intention to haze some more tackle for easy isk efficiency. Some quick math in my head figured that, even being restricted to 50km range due to skills in the fleet, we'd still be able to out kite the Caracals and kill some easy stuff.

The truth was that we very quickly became strung out as we kited away. I even completely stopped my ship at one point to allow us all to group up as it was blatantly obvious that I was the fleet anchor. As I pulled away and tried to maintain the 50km from their lead Caracal, we started to loose ships. I think we quickly became stretched out again so that while I, as anchor, was at the ideal range, the tail end of the fleet was probable at their perfect range too. I'm also guessing that their well skilled Caracals would probably have been able to keep pace with any low skilled pilots we had, preventing the tail end of the fleet from pulling enough range, however this wasn't something I thought about at the time. I didn't even get chance to call a target for us as there was no chance we could break the Caracals and I didn't see any small stuff we'd be in a position to hit so we very disappointingly had to bail from the grid.

(19:27:30) F-NMX6
Sabre +72.69m
Capsule +0.01m
Talwar -13.1m
Keres -43.75m
Cormorant -8.28m
Talwar -7.31m
Capsule -0.01m

We burned over to the GME pocket to try and gank something... anything... in the hope that we'd find something to do now that we we're 30 jumps from home without a decent fight. Scouts reported carriers on the C4C hell gate. Sigh.

With our tails between our legs, and our numbers depleted, we made the long trip back.

On our way, we jumped into a small gatecamp that quickly broke up as we landed. Their interdictor had already bubbled the gate (fair enough) and jumped through. Scouts followed to find him bubbling the other side and were able to easily secure tackle. We burned through and followed, and began to apply our Nova missiles. The Interdictor pilot them abandoned his ship and warped off, so even that became a hollow fight. Sigh.

(19:46:40) E9KD-N
Heretic +81.36m

When we hit Ost, the fleet disbanded and people began to make their way to their respective campuses. Those of us from the NSC headed back to PC9, only to find a 10 man cruiser gatecamp in MHC from Cavemen. We yolo'd into it as they didn't have any bubbles to support them and jumped the gate on contact.

They followed, we held cloak. I gate the immediate order for everyone to align to the outgate and overheat their prop mods in the vain hope of kiting something. They had a Blackbird which I called primary to try and scare him off grid. He jammed me out straight away, and probably a few other people too. Altar was caught which held their attention, so we jumped off and left him to his fate (Sorry bud!). At this point it was getting late and I don't think any of us (4 of us now we'd lost Altar) had the appetite to try and skirmish with them.

(20:14:10) 6E-578
Talwar -12.19m

And that was that. Overall a disappointing night but hey, we can't always have it our own way can we.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 215,577,148
ISK Lost: 84,642,911.27
ISK Delta: 130,934,236.73
Efficiency: 71.806%

The Good

Plenty of newbros turned out for some fun in Sov Null, which was great to see and hopefully you were able to take something away from this fleet.
Even while content starved, fleet comms stayed disciplined and didn't descend into chaos which has happened in the past.
FC got a chance to practice as fleet anchor in a very busy fight.

The Bad

The only decent fight we found didn't really lend itself to skirmishing tactics, resulting in us being the ones to blueball tonight.
FC needs to take into consideration the navigation skills of the newbro pilots, not just their range, when trying to anchor so that they don't get left behind at the enemies optimal engagement range.
Cloud Ring and Horde space is dead at the moment (and Syndicate too, actually) making these areas a dull place to try and host a roam through.

As always, thanks again to everyone who came out to play.

For those taking part in the CCI, this fleet will count as a NSC participation event: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/CCI
For those who lost a ship, don't forget that you can claim a hull back through the Uni SRP: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/SRP#Uni_ ... sements.29
Finally as I am taking part in the FCC, please fill in the FC Feedback Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1

Cheers guys
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] BLAP Talwars 06/09/2017

Post by Turlough Dominian »

ah was nice fleet better than station spining, was looking at the killboard and around 40 mins later those horde dudes killed a chimera so maybe there overkill fleet wasn't a qrf for our talwars but they where hunting a chimera maybe.

side note i forgot to bring scripts last night sorry xD
Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Kora K
Title: Graduate

Post by Kora K »

Turlough Dominian wrote:ah was nice fleet better than station spining, was looking at the killboard and around 40 mins later those horde dudes killed a chimera so maybe there overkill fleet wasn't a qrf for our talwars but they where hunting a chimera maybe.
I'm pretty sure they undocked for us. Too bad they did not do that the previous night and chose to "blob" us with Caracals. At least there was some action.

I'm sad I died at the begining tho. A ceptor with guns and a Griffin went straight for me, so I couldn't damp my way out of here or help the fleet. I was 20km from the gate when we were waiting, and I stayed at 30km when we knew they were jumping. I should have pulled more range, or wait at a ping before joining the fun.
even being restricted to 50km range due to skills in the fleet, we'd still be able to out kite the Caracals and kill some easy stuff.
Caracals can shoot up to 63km. Even with lower skills, I don't think you can out-kite the Caracals at 50km range. You'll mitigate some DPS if you let them chase you tho.
Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Adrien Claremont »

Kora K wrote:Caracals can shoot up to 63km. Even with lower skills, I don't think you can out-kite the Caracals at 50km range. You'll mitigate some DPS if you let them chase you tho.
Ah, see I guess this is where my only exposure to Caracals having come from BLAP has let me down there. At the time, I had in my head that the range of a Caracal would be around 40km, which is true for someone flying with skills only trained to III, where as an all V character can hit out past 60km. Lesson learnt, thanks Kora.