[AAR] Kitchen Sink Frigates 03SEPT 0100

Kontxesi Buchanan
Title: Assistant Manager (Events), Lieutenant Junior Grade, Mentor, Senior Personnel Officer™, Dislikes You, Events, Graduate, Management

[AAR] Kitchen Sink Frigates 03SEPT 0100

Post by Kontxesi Buchanan »

Date: 03 SEPT 2017
Form-up time: 01:00
Departure time: 01:30
Return time: 03:30
Duration: 2h00m

If you participated in this fleet and have not yet done so, please be sure to fill out the Fleet Feedback Form. Your comments and feedback are necessary for my improvement as an FC.

Roam members (31)
Atticus Vex (vanguard)
Budda Sereda
Caid Dryden
Doctor Kling
DonkeyPunch Udan
Etchard Yarghol
Gemma Solett (first fleet!)
General Killah
James Krividus
Jerin en Daire
Jim Electron (primary scout)
Junmei Hucel-Ge
Kirsid Tannaway (vanguard)
Kontxesi Buchanan (FC)
Lucas Rivera (secondary scout)
Marn Vermuldir
Max Duckman
Mike North (vanguard)
Richard Starwalker (2IC)
Rohan Amadeus
SketchyManDan Williams
Space Warfare Development
Stasia Ohau
Tlymphocyte
Trevor Grambling
Wokum
Xana McBash
Xinirae Dallocort
Yrgrasil
Z0X Ambrye
Zivoca Prometheus

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

The night didn't look very promising from the start, as only Nennamalia and Tama showed any real action. As we closed in on Nenn with no targets, Richard suggested getting out his Domi to bait. I supported this plan.

At the Frairie gate in Vey, we stumbled upon som fleet drones. After some confusion, we realized they'd been left behind by a fleet member during the Vexor fleet earlier in the day.

Jim spotted a Hecate and a Thrasher at a Novice and requested the vanguard. They warped off before Jim landed (or were at a safe in the first place). So how we've five people in system, looking for a fight.

Then a flashy Dominix jumped through to us in Renarelle. We all got pumped. He was 12 km away from me, but the punk was MWD + cloak fit and executed it flawlessly. Comms were full expletives and other expressions of disbelief and disappointment. A whole bunch of people followed him to the Aubenall gate for some reason, so it took me a while to get everyone back on the gate. We also had the opportunity to teach some people about the MWD+cloak trick who hadn't heard about it before.

Jim caught a Maller on the Aldranette gate, and I made a mistake here. I didn't realize it was at a gate until after I said to hold DPS. I don't think Jim called out where he had the Maller tackled, and I had recently added more stuff to my UI and couldn't see where my ship was exactly. If we'd all gotten hot on him immediately, we might have been able to get him before he jumped back through the gate. Losing that kill was quite probably my bad.

Then the Cerberus/Caracal/Eagle fleet happened. It was 3 Cerbs, a Caracal, an Eagle, a Stork, and a Merlin. This obviously wasn't a fight that was stacked in our favor, but I was taking what we could get. I called primary on Vain Princess in the Cerberus because that's the first thing we got tackle on, but people were spreading DPS everywhere. Got to be a mess, and I called to scatter about 30 seconds in. This is where I gave a mini-lecture about following the FC's target calls. We tethered up at a citadel while we waited for Richard to get his Domi and do that stuff. A Cormorant circled us at 150km for a while, hoping one of us would goof up and untether.

Federation Navy Comet -31.98m
Slasher -2.6m
Tristan -7.5m
Griffin -1.74m

Richard picked up his Domi and set it to autopilot from Nennamalia to Tama. Meanwhile, Jim found a Kestrel and a Tristan at a novice in Akidagi. They were 70-100 off the beacon and warped off before he could get tackle.

At this point, we had some confusion. We had people saying that things were landing on them, but were't saying where they were or who they were. This caused us to get a bit split up. I had the majority of the fleet sitting inside a small and then warped them to Nennamalia. As we landed on the gate, someone called out that they were tackled at the small outpost by stuff. When we got there, he was dead and there were two Maledictions, a Cynabal, a Huginn, a Loki, and a Stilletto. We slid the gate and went back to the Nenn gate.

Kestrel -10.13m

While this was happening, Richard found a nasty cruiser fleet. Even if we weren't in the middle of a mess of our own, it wasn't something that we could have taken on or saved him from. So we lost the Domi without even getting a fight out of it.

Dominix -287.89m

The fleet followed us in the Nennamalia. I called for the fleet to warp to a novice, but then Jim said he had point on a Malediction. I told everyone who hadn't warped yet to go after him, but he was getting too far out of range and too many of his friends came through and we went to the novice. A Maulus got caught.

Maulus -6.96m

Richard's fleet jumped into Nennamalia as we were jumping to the Hikkoken gate and were sitting there when we landed. We jumped on contact and then warped to Pynekastoh. Those two fleets ran into each other and the Malediction Jim had tackled went down. Wasn't really our kill, but I'll take it.

Malediction +39.9m

Jim found an Avatar and two bombers at a large, but I wasn't really wanting to take that fight. For the next few jumps, we played tag with a smart bomb fit Rohk. We ran away from him into Hirri, where Jim had tackle on a Fed Navy Comet. He was a ways off the gate, but we were able to burn in and take him out. A Cormorant showed up in the middle of the fight, and then the Rohk jumped in. He took out the Cormorant right after we finished the Comet and we skedaddled.

Federation Navy Comet +30.47m
Capsule +0.01m

We took a little detour to avoid the Rohk, but he just looped around to meet us at the Kedama gate. I didn't want to mess with that, so Jim kept looking. He found a Coercer and three Comets at a large. I sent in the vanguard to warp in with Jim, but they warped off as they landed. It turned out that it was James Krividus fighting some folks and we scared away his fish. Sorry about that, James. o/ Then of course, that Rohk landed on us again and we jumped into Kedama.

Jim caught a Condor in Murethand after a significant dry spell.

Condor +2.63m
Capsule +0.01m

Since the fleet had been so boring, I decided to take us up to a pocket where I knew some blingy guys were running missions. Unfortunately by the time we got there, the intended target had logged and the only thing left was a Nidhoggur.

Budda joined up with us near the end and caught an Incursus at a plex, but it killed him before we could get there.

Condor -17.3m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 73,026,192.55
ISK Lost: 366,104,450.72
ISK Delta: -293,078,258.17
Efficiency: 16.63%

Review

So, this was undoubtedly the worst fleet I've FCed, in terms of content. There was content, but it as all far too big for us. Kind of a major bummer for me. Comms were fun though, so I hope I was able to keep everyone entertained for those two hours.

There was a little trouble with people not liking/being impatient with my calls throughout the night, and that was a rather disappointing.

If we had been in a kitey doctrine, I probably would have engaged that Rohk. There was quite a bit of conversation about if/how we could have taken him down with our comp, so that is something to think about for next time.

Items to Improve

- pay more attention to where I'm landing so that I don't call to hold DPS on something that's sitting right on a gate
- encourage better comms discipline, to avoid the problem we had in Akidagi
- I'm still too reactionary, being too quick to send the fleet to rescue someone who got left behind and is being aggressed. We shouldn't have left the Nennamalia gate into the swarm that killed our Kestrel, as it just would have gotten more people killed.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Junmei Hucel-Ge
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Kitchen Sink Frigates 03SEPT 0100

Post by Junmei Hucel-Ge »

I had no complaints about your calls. They were disciplined and you remained calm even when things were dicey. I quite clearly heard where to concentrate fire in that call and landed both a tackle and dps on it, so if others didn't they weren't listening and/or were talking over you.

I got through this ksf with no personal losses which for me is a first, so there is that :) I found the content we did get into - even when it was out of our league - was fun. I am getting much better on tackle personally and landed tackle on most of the ships that I got to in time before they got blapped, another personal best. I am still not as fast at getting aligned and in as the rest of the fleet so that's something I need to work on, though that could also have been my fit. I'm much more comfortable in vexor with lots of drones (Sorry I missed the earlier vexor fleet) so getting out there in a frigate with tackle pushes my limits and makes it exciting.
Yrgrasil
Title: Solitude Officer, Ensign, Sophomore

Post by Yrgrasil »

Was only for an short period in fleet, since i joined late and needed to leave early. So i can't say anything useful to the combat part :(

What i early recognized, there were nearly no Broadcast, neither Repair (since i was in an Logistic Frig), or Targets/Destination. Also it would probably be helpful if warp/jump calls would be spelled (f.e. "Jump to Alpha Kilo India" instead of "Jump to Akidagi"), it was sometimes kinda hard to understand where to fly, even if the comms were clear.

Voice overall was, except for the mentioned, quite good. Nobody got crazy, most calls were good understandable. The Rokh Decision was totally fine.
Kontxesi Buchanan
Title: Assistant Manager (Events), Lieutenant Junior Grade, Mentor, Senior Personnel Officer™, Dislikes You, Events, Graduate, Management

It's always fun to notice that you're actually improving isn't, Junmei? I couldn't even keep track of where the fleet was going in my first fleet, much less get on any kills.
Yrgrasil wrote:What i early recognized, there were nearly no Broadcast, neither Repair (since i was in an Logistic Frig), or Targets/Destination. Also it would probably be helpful if warp/jump calls would be spelled (f.e. "Jump to Alpha Kilo India" instead of "Jump to Akidagi"), it was sometimes kinda hard to understand where to fly, even if the comms were clear.
The reason no one was instructed to broadcast for reps was I didn't realize we had logi in fleet until the end. :p It was a kitchen sink fleet, so I wasn't really expecting logi and didn't see any in the fleet comp before we undocked.

As for other broadcasts, I'm pretty sure that Rohan was broadcasting gates for the new guy, and when we were going to plexes I didn't notice the scout not broadcasting. I should have broadcast the primary target in that Cerb fight, though, you're right.

With the gate calls, I was trying to call it once with the name and once with the first three letters, though not with the NATO alphabet. I don't recall anyone saying they were having trouble understanding the gate calls, otherwise I probably would have switched over. If someone did say something, I didn't hear it. It's amazing going back and listening to the recording and realizing just how much gets missed.
Yrgrasil

Post by Yrgrasil »

Kontxesi Buchanan wrote:With the gate calls, I was trying to call it once with the name and once with the first three letters, though not with the NATO alphabet. I don't recall anyone saying they were having trouble understanding the gate calls, otherwise I probably would have switched over. If someone did say something, I didn't hear it. It's amazing going back and listening to the recording and realizing just how much gets missed.
yay that NATO alphabet thing was just an example, but probably i was the only one (was really tired at this time +non native english speaker). So i assume it was just my fault then.

Kontxesi Buchanan wrote:The reason no one was instructed to broadcast for reps was I didn't realize we had logi in fleet until the end. :p It was a kitchen sink fleet, so I wasn't really expecting logi and didn't see any in the fleet comp before we undocked.
And suddenly Logistics, i think 2-3 were there :D Happens, but i would encourage everyone to broadcast for at least reps, even if there's no Logi, probably even if they are solo. This is something which should be as automatic as possible. In the best Case bound to an Big Red Button.
Kontxesi Buchanan

Fault is a really strong word there, I think. It's just that I can't adjust my calls to make it easier for people if I don't know there's a problem, is all. :)

Broadcasting for reps even when there is no logi is an interesting idea. I wonder if it would confuse newer players though, and somehow get them to stay on-grid because they think they're going to get reps when they should be bailing out? New-new players, obviously is what I mean.
Yrgrasil

Post by Yrgrasil »

Kontxesi Buchanan wrote:Broadcasting for reps even when there is no logi is an interesting idea. I wonder if it would confuse newer players though, and somehow get them to stay on-grid because they think they're going to get reps when they should be bailing out? New-new players, obviously is what I mean.
Never expect to be repped :D As DD you should probably disable the notification for these RepCalls to focus on Target Calls, so it shouldn't bother anyone. But yes, this could probably confuse some guys, no idea if it would be worth it.

Mhm sadly the next fleet i can join is the one on Sunday (for me it's ~3am), and for hull tanked Atrons there's probably no real use of an Logistic.

And regarding the calls, if i were the only one which had problems, don't think about it.