[AAR] Impromptu Solitude...Something

Anna Iwaira

[AAR] Impromptu Solitude...Something

Post by Anna Iwaira »

Evenin'

Down in Solitude a couple of us got a little bored and decided to start up a small fleet heading off into null to see what trouble we couldn't find ourselves. We had a couple of ships left with little time to claim the insurance, so exploding was not something we were scared of - though maybe we weren't expecting it to happen so quickly.

Attendees:
Spoiler
Anna Iwaira - Caracal
Kirsid Kannaway - Caracal
Yuri Levnik - Moa
Arashi Shizukana (I think)
Now this being my first time, and actually originally planning to just take out a stealth bomber and attempt to gank some of the guys flying around Syndicate, I was not really prepared - so I took us up on a short trip to PC9. After asking in the NSC chat we found there was a capital fleet flying directly into us, so for better or for worse I decided to try and jump through the hurdle and attempt to skip past them in warp.

Unfortunately, they were there faster than expected and jumped through the gate on top of us - a Maller jumped through first which we almost got, before it started out repping our small fleets damage - and then a carrier arrived.

97X-CH 21:50
Caracal -29.7MN
Caracal -20.8MN
Moa -30MN

On the bright side, we cashed in Yuri's Moa insurance which had 23 hours left on it. Afterwards we headed back to do our own thing and try to arrange a slightly less one sided fight, but to no avail.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 80MN
Efficiency: 0%

What went well:
- Considering our almost total wipe with no kills, not much. However I did start picking up the basics of moving a fleet.

What went poorly:
- We got caught out by a fleet with a carrier towing along.
- We locked and almost destroyed a Maller the instant it jumped through the gate - but its rep overcame us.

What I've learnt:
- Once the rest of that fleet landed on top of us, I should have ordered a focus fire on the crow that was locking us down, and then told people to warp out - I focused too hard on trying to get that Maller.
- Once I got word from NSC that a carrier fleet was headed directly into us, I should have instantly moved us away rather than trying to fly past them
- Plan out a route in advance! I didn't really have a plan in my head of where we should go nor what we should try to do; I just chose a direction and hoped we would run into something.

All in all it went about as well as I (and the others) were expecting it to go; someone with no FC experience and very little fleet experience at all taking a lead at a moments notice! I learnt some valuable lessons and thanks to the others for giving me the opportunity to try my hand at FC'ing.
Yuri Levnik

Re: [AAR] Impromptu Solitude...Something

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Thanks for leading us bravely into space, FC! Just for grinsies, I pulled up the AAR for my first fleet as FC - fond memories, but no kills that night either. Your impromptu roam still hit the key items on my FC checklist:
  • -Undocked with my buds
    -Shot at things
    -Got shot at by things
    -Had fun
Of course, we didn't get any kills due to zomg carriers blasting us to bits. If you read back through my AARs, you'll get a sense that Solitude is a tough spot for a Uni FC to find content we can kill. We have more T3 cruisers than T1 frigates down here, and anyone in a T1 cruiser is usually either travelling with friends or up to something super tricky. The upside is that when you do get a kill you know you've worked for it - very rewarding.

I think we had a shot at that Crow. Next time we'll watch for small tackle boats that are flying irresponsibly (;
Yuri
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher