[AAR] Solitude Caracool Combat (Sep 2 02:00)

Yuri Levnik

[AAR] Solitude Caracool Combat (Sep 2 02:00)

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Howdy all,
We had a very quiet evening with an explosive ending. Pew pew pew!

Roam attendees:
Spoiler
Anna Iwaira - 1 Scout
Caid Dryden - Logi
Geoff Russel - DD
Kai-Alon Deninard - Keres, 2IC
Keuthein - DD
Rose Macabre - DD
Rrad Ekanon - DD, Anchor
Sioban Mernher - Logi
Symeon Severasse - DD
Tasha Menne - 2 Scout
Tom Endares - EWAR
Traven O'Toole - DD
Yuri Levnik - FC, DD
We started out running up to NSC to pick a couple of folks up and got chased briefly by a Loki. We tried to BLAP a Kestral but he jumped away. So, we headed back to Soli and roamed through low sec toward Aridia. We chased some targets around but caught nothing, and we avoided a pair of Lokis who we guessed were jumping back and forth into a wormhole. We stopped in Agaullores and started shotgunning belts, but only found a couple of NPC battleships. Slim pickings );

We had contacted the Cavemen about a fight on our way home. They were interested, so we made our way back and loitered around Yveve. At that time, a medium sized Filthy Peasant fleet arrived in the area and the Cavemen suggested we team up and fight them. After a lot of excitement with comms, we managed to unify our forces (though the humble Uni FC had a hard time keeping comms disentangled since I was in Discord and Mumble at the same time!). We engaged the Filthy Peasants multiple times, almost killing a Hurricane before finally settling into a fight on a gate in Anckee. The Filthy Peasants were flashy so we did not get suspect timers.

The opposing forces were in Kronos, Hurricane, Thorax, Brutix, Harbinger, some jams (blackbirds?) and an Apostle. Yes, you read that right - they had a force auxiliary on grid, and we fought them anyway. Such bravery! We still had about 8 pilots in fleet, with two Scythes, a Blackbird and the rest in Caracals (our snowflakes having reshipped prior to the fight). The Cavemen had Stabber, Rupture, Megathron, a couple of blackbirds and at least one armor logi pilot.

I followed the Cavemens' target calling and relayed orders to the fleet. We landed pretty much right in the middle of things and anchored on Rrad, but the enemy was pretty well scattered around the gate and had good range on their weapons so pulling range did not help very much. The opfor's jams took down Caid's shield repairs, leaving Sioban to try to keep us up on his own. We hit reload partyway through the fight and I thought about having us warp off and re-engage, but decided to sit it out. I probably should have had us disengage and re-engage, but I wasn't sure how many ships we had stuck on grid and I would be leaving them without repairs. The end result of the fight was us getting exploded pretty good, though our combined forces did get a Thorax as consolation. Overall, we were pretty much doomed once the capital support showed up, but where's the fun in going home unexploded?

Anckee 04:33
Thorax 35.8MN
Caracal -28.9MN
Blackbird -19.6MN
Caracal -24.3MN
Caracal -14.5MN
Caracal -16.4MN

I reshipped to a noobship and looted the field (7MN in loot) while the rest of the fleet headed home.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 35.8MN
ISK Lost: -103.7MN
ISK Delta: -67.9MN
Efficiency: 26%

What went well:
  • -Everyone flew extremely well! we kept together on the move. Most impressively, we did not shoot any Cavemen after we decided to team up with them. Excellent fire discipline everyone - I was genuinely surprised and pleased. Don't worry, we'll shoot Cavemen again later :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
    -We had two first time scouts who did a great job. Thanks for stepping up, y'all!
    -Despite being fairly new to logi, our logi wing stepped up. Obviously they were outmatched by the fleet we picked a fight with, but Caid drew jams off the rest of us and Sioban repped valiantly. I called for Scythes tonight and was very glad I did since a jam on a two-Osprey logi wing kills the cap chain and shuts down all reps, while a two-Scythe wing can keep repairing if one pilot is jammed.
    -I had a 2IC, anchor and logi FC for this fleet which made my life a lot easier than last night and helped keep the fleet moving at a quicker pace.
    -We got in a fight and shot things!
What could have gone better
  • -Very little content in space, and the fight we took was too big for us.
    -Our belt shotgunning was a little disorganized. I need to try a more systematic approach.
    -No clone troopers, shadow Serpentis or Mordu's to be found );
    -Cap life is bad on the Scythe fits I have been posting. Will look at revisions.
    -I once again made poor use of my EWAR wing. Sorry Tom!
    -Keeping up with two fleets and two sets of comms was very hard and the fleet had to sit in silence for a bit while I worked it out.
Overall, this was a fun night out, though our efficiency needs a hug. Maybe next week we'll get some blingier kills...
Yuri
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Sioban Mernher

Re: [AAR] Solitude Caracool Combat (Sep 2 02:00)

Post by Sioban Mernher »

Hello Yuri,

the fleet was fun and rewarding, a learning experience as usual. however it looks like Bob was against logi this time. I was very unsatisfied with how we (I) flew. And this was not because of the Scythes, even though we had to get used to the ships.

Concerning the cap problem, it was not so bad. It was possible to manage it by keeping an eye on it. It was just a few more drops in an already full glass...

The biggest mistake was to try to stay close to the limit of the rep (optimal) distance, in order to stay far from the fight. What happened was that we (I) slipped too often just far enough to loose max efficiency. And there was a couple time where I lost lock completely, having to move closer and reacquire some of our ships. So every little thing made the micro-management inefficient; keeping an eye on cap, manually flying the ship, switching lock to help a solibro, managing the rep cycles. The finality was that, whenever I repped a new ship, it died seconds after, ..I was too late e.v.e.r.y. time...

On a side note, I flew ewar for the 1st time today. The maulus jamming had a falloff range of 98km. Thinking back on this fleet, trying to stay as far as possible from the fight was not the right strategy. We were always gonna be in range of their ewar.

what went well :
- flying with the solibros !
- the loki bit was fun,
- getting on comms with the cavemen was interesting, to say the least.

what could have gone better:
- it looks like I need manual fying lessons !
- and better understand the capabilities of the different functions in fleet.

lesssons learned :
- logi can get tough !
Sioban Mernher

Post by Sioban Mernher »

.. I forgot to add : I'm gonna play with the Scythe fit, see if we can get better ewar resist...
Yuri Levnik

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Logi is tough, but rewarding when it goes well. Harder if you get EWARed to the point where you can't repair, or incoming damage is so high that the reps don't matter.

I have a new Scythe fit (stolen from Pandemic Horde and slightly modified). Unfortunately, no sensor booster, but it does have much better cap life.
Spoiler
[Scythe, Solitude Scythe T1 v9]
Mark I Compact Capacitor Power Relay
Damage Control I

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Medium Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Medium Asymmetric Enduring Remote Shield Booster

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Medium Shield Maintenance Bot I x4
Light Shield Maintenance Bot I x1
Nanite Repair Paste x12
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher