[AAR] Magic Merlins/Longbow Cormorants 23/07/2017

Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[AAR] Magic Merlins/Longbow Cormorants 23/07/2017

Post by Adrien Claremont »

A tale of two halves, we managed to find some content (and even finish ISK positive!) however we had to work hard to find it.

Roam members (12)
Spoiler
Adrien Claremont - FC
Breeze One - AFK 2IC
DeanSherman
Decklin Quark Reiger - Scout
Eddie Dante - Scout
Kirsi Isrik
Kirsid Tannaway
Lucius Septimus Severus
Trillian Ituin
Wokum
Xana McBash
Zarquu Fussuhfusus
After a slightly longer than usual form up thanks to Decklin falling asleep on the carpet (we can only wait so long, Decklin!), we set off on our merry way with grand aspirations of pew pew. As has been the trend this past week, we had low numbers and no Logi support so our only real option were ganks in plexes or flashy targets on gates. We quickly made our way up to Black Rise and found some fun. There was a lone Ishtar in a medium, which looked really tempting. Scouts secured tackle and in the fleet went, only to land on the gate at the same time as a Ashimmu and (I think) an Omen Navy Issue. I called scatter straight away thinking that we'd taken the bait. Some chat between the other neuts in local possibly suggested that the two parties had their own fight when we left but either way, we lost two ships and didn't manage to secure any kills.

(13:14:08) Akidagi
Slasher -4.44m
Merlin -5.53m

A quick reship in Ichoriya and we set off, to land straight on a flashy Caracal. Decklin had mentioned that he saw Caracals in the area when he was catching up after his nap, so I called the target hoping we could burn him down real quick as we were already on top of him. Nope! In jumps his friends from the other side of the gate, and it turned out that their fleet was basically double the size of what we'd anticipated. Scatter was called and we extracted, only to loose another Merlin.

(13:21:11) Akidagi
Merlin -3.22m

We continued to roam Black Rise, often being hounded by the Caracal gang only to find nothing. After about an hour and a half in by this point, I'd had enough. We had a quick bio and the decision to reship into something punchier was made.

Magic Merlin Stats

ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 13,182,146.42
ISK Delta: -13,182,146.42
Efficiency: 0%

The call was made to reship into Longbow Cormorants. I've been doing some research on the doctrine, and Zarquu had previously recommended it as a good way to learn fleet positioning. The Longbows also out range the pesky Caracal gang that had been chasing us, so I was keen to get us reshipped as soon as possible. We burnt for Ichoriya first, only to find out that the market was short on guns, so in the end we burnt all the way back to Stacmon where Zarquu had set up Longbow contracts for us all. Reshipping was quick and back off to Black Rise we headed.

Aaaaaand Black Rise was dead. The Caracal gang was no where to be seen. Even the Tama gate was empty. Eventually, Decklin managed to grab point on a HCOOK Stabber. We hoped this might entice HCOOK out to play but we didn't see any activity from them. I was really surprised at how quickly the Cormorants made light work of him, with Zarquu managing to pick off his drones which took pressure off our tackle.

(14:50:12) Okkamon
Stabber +34.19m

Continuing on our way, we managed to gank a Hawk however the area was still extremely quiet.

(14:58:54) Mushikegi
Hawk +39.14m

After making the big loop around most of Black Rise, we landed in Kinakka where our Scouts manage to grab point on a VNI. The fleet landed at range and primaried the VNI. Not long after, a Arbitrator and a Omen Navy Issue landed. We continued to go for the VNI however he was burning away and we started to cap ourselves dry keeping up the chase. We switched to the Arbitrator who literally melted (should have called him primary sooner in hindsight) and switch to the Omen who was also quick to pull range. He danced around 100km from us so while a few of us could still hit him, the majority of the fleet could not hit past 70km. I tried to re-position the fleet by warping out and warping back in but it wasn't much use.

Overall a fun fight in my eyes, and it was good to have a serious play with the Longbows. It would have been nice to do this outside of deadspace so that we could warp around to maintain range and position, but I guess we'll have to practice that another time.

(15:20:37) Kinakka
Cormorant -10.24m
Arbitrator +29.4m
Cormorant -10.81m
Stiletto -35.26m
Slasher -4.44m

With our numbers even lower now and conscious of time, we made our way back to Uph/Stac. Not without a newbro Tristan gank on the way though.

(15:35:12) Oicx
Tristan +0.61m

Longbow Cormorant Stats
ISK Destroyed: 103,348,808.67
ISK Lost: 60,752,662.81
ISK Delta: 42,596,145.86
Efficiency: 62.979%

The Good

We got to try out and have some basic success with a new Doctrine.
Comms and fleet discipline was on point, as usually.
No fuss was made at all when the call to reship (and ultimately completely start again from Stacmon) was made. Thank you for that.
Decklin managed to squeeze in a nap after his fun last night.
FC managed to get a lot of practice broadcasting Align and Warp commands.

The Bad

Picking a fight with a lone Caracal when you know there is a fleet of them somewhere in the area probably isn't the smartest of moves, resulting in a unnecessary loss.
FC should have called the Aribitrator and ONI in the VNI fight sooner, potentially allowing us to take down the ONI before he could pull range.

I didn't set off with the intention of doing such a long roam. Originally the idea was just to fill some space in the calendar however with it being so quiet, I wanted to kill SOMETHING before we headed back. I personally had fun with the last big fight we had, and it was good practice for me to try positioning the fleet at range by anchoring.

For those who lost ships, you'll be able to claim a Hull back from the Uni SRP - https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/SRP

For those taking part in the CCI, this will count as a LSC participation event.

Thanks for coming out guys. Sorry we couldn't find more but I hope you had fun all the same.

Cheers.
Wokum
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Magic Merlins/Longbow Cormorants 23/07/2017

Post by Wokum »

Great fleet with some great battles and the Longbow Cormorants were fun-my first time flying those. My bad at the end for not listening and getting too close to the ONI but it was all good fun. Thanks Adrien.