BLAP Caracal Mastership - III

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

BLAP Caracal Mastership - III

Post by Budda Sereda »

We had another fleet as part of learning how to fly BLAP Caracal doctrine and BLAP Caracal Mastership series of fleets ( https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&t=105185 ).

The biggest issue today was the lack of content... :( so we did not learn much TBH. And because of the doctrine peculiarities, we felt a lack of tackling ships in a fleet. We did have ceptors, but why fly BLAP Caracal if you only pick ships on plexes or gates?

Summary? Not sure if I really learned something about doctrine in general, though I made few mistakes which I will touch later.
I also get feelling that I ran fleet a bit quicker than some new pilots were able to cope with. This was spotted when players were left behind. Guys, please do speak up in fleet if something is too fast, I will slow down.

As per AAR generator we had 21 pilot:
Spoiler
Argonis Loken
Arrek Lemmont
Atticus Vex
BatFC
Breenie Shi
Budda Sereda
Dale Inkunen
Dilithium Tweaker
DonkeyPunch Udan
Esturary
Jim Electron
Keuthein
Marius Wren
Nunnery Michigan
Sophia Canarius
Tom Endares
Vors Voorhorian
Yuri Levnik
Z0X Ambrye
gaheris Anninen
number 1201
but in reality we had much less: 8 DD, 3 Logy, 1 Ceptor during undock. Later I got 2 more ceptors.

Form-up.

This time form-up took quite a bit of time. ZOX spotted there are no BLAP Caracals on the market and went out to buy and haul few modules... But... apparently, we did not have people who needed those modules so I would say we better accept that somebody will fit another ship other than spending extra 15 minutes forming up. It was not a complete waste as I went through the way how BLAP Caracal doctrine supposed to work and how to fly it with strengths and weaknesses. Yet, I hate spending 30 minutes for forming up.

Going to nul-sec.

As soon as we undocked we had a Spectre fleet undocking too. As they had much bigger number we decided to move into Syndicate. It was a camp there and I was going to try catch them. We noticed that camp moved towards PC9. We tried to follow them and were going to make an ambush and bait them, but our scout reported a non-fleet member being caught in JH- on PC9 gate. I assumed those guys will have a weapon timer and if we land a tackle they will take a fight. So I called fleet to jump and warp. Unfortunately, we did not have tackle yet and they scattered.
https://zkillboard.com/kill/63619283/

We made a run through a syndicate, found nothing, except of two bubbles that caught us:
(02:59:09) 6E-578
Mobile Small Warp Disruptor I +0.9m
(03:12:09) PF-346
Mobile Small Warp Disruptor I +0.9m

I guess scout need to pay more attention, in other cases that could be fatal.

Trying to find content in Black Rise.

We moved into Black Rise, found nothing on our way... :(

First real content was in Nennamaila: 3 condors were sitting in I believe in a medium plex. I called 1 DD + 2 scouts to land a tackle those Condors. Not sure what exactly happened, but while hole fleet landed plex had 3 condors and 3 Confessors and Rappier. They alphaed out both tacklers and Vanguard, we only killed 1 Condor before they scattered:

(03:30:29) Nennamaila
Ares -32.04m
Malediction -27.65m
Capsule -0.01m
Condor +4.79m
Caracal -30.44m

I am not sure what we could have done better here, so please share your thoughts.

We went through decent part of Black Rise: it was dead and empty. We met few Thrashers going to Rakapas (restocking base of Nunnery - out scout and tackle) but they run away from us.

At some point I had Marius sitting in a Caracal as bait on the gate, he spotted Thrasher, but that died prematurely.
(04:23:04) Nennamaila
Thrasher +9.79m
When other thrashers landed I guess Marius had a weapon timer. But instead calling us to help (fleet with logies was on the other side of the gate) he aggressed I guess non flashy and died from guns.
Caracal -26.32m
I believe there is something we should improve: maybe as FC I should set expectations more clearly, Marius should probably call when more ships landing or he is taking heavy fire.

Shortly after we lost 2 scouts again (this time due to gate guns) and killed a Thrasher:
Malediction -30.55m
Ares -29.51m
Thrasher +9.83m
And again, I don't remember what exactly happened... but that's sad: ceptors are too expensive (and prestiges) to lose them to gate guns trying to tackle Thrashers... :( Need to chose fights better.

Fight in plex.

Next episode was the best of the day: we only had 1 scout and it appeared that Arek had a point on his Caracal so when we spotted Moa and Rupture in a middle I called Jim in Ares and Arek in Caracal warp-in and tackle.
Our prey this time had short range fit, guys were able to stay at range while fleet landed and we got 2 clean kills:

(04:46:52) Renarelle
Moa +44.11m
Rupture +30.24m

Fighting them I called anchoring to practice it, but it was more for fun than for real value.

Horde?

Jim spotted a HUGE fleet (more than few dozens of cruisers) on our way so we were forced to turn direction and tried to see what will happen in Horde area. We spotted Tengu and Cerberus, and with 3 logies I decided to give it a try. We had Ares+Caracal in a vanguard.. but in few minutes Tengu reshipped into a Thanatos, so we went back.

Nightmare. Just a ship name, it was ok :)

On the way back we spotted a Nightmare and tried to provoke it to engage us. When it became clear it is not going engage us, I decided to do that ourselves. TBH, I did not expect we will kill it, but had a small hope. And with 3 logies we should have survived her fire...

Mistake #1 was poor bouncing: we and I myself should do this more actively and remove gate guns fire from us.
Mistake #2 all Caracals stayed in range. Dunno why I did not call to anchor and did not pull the range... :(
Also Nightmare had neuts. So it forced our tackle to bounce few times, and killed few of us. When it was low in structue it MJD off us :(

(05:23:48) Renarelle
Caracal -30.36m
Caracal -33.85m
Caracal -15.97m

Here is what should have been done better:

1. Don't rush killing it. It is a faction BS, it has tank. No rush, eliminate gate guns first and after continue the fight.
2. FC keep DDs and logies at proper range. At least this way DDs would not be neuted.
3. Once noticed opponent has a neut, we do need to spear at least 1 from logies, maybe even 2 and keep tackle with energy and alive. Yes, BLAP Ospreys need 2 cap in and 2 cap out to stay stable. But they also can stop 1 of remout reppers and be stable with even 1 cap in. In this particular case that should have been done.

:( Interestingly, that Nightmare was killed an hour later: https://zkillboard.com/kill/63621338/ Passive armor tank, 2 neuts. Not sure if our cap transmission to tackle would be enough to maintain cap, but to run scram it should be. But Web+Grappler... Skilled ceptor pilot has 11.3km scram range and 630m/s speed. There is a small chance here to stay at 10500m and keep a tackle... but as Nightmare was not webbed... I guess in this fleet composition we should have ignored it.

Thoughts?

Stats:
ISK Destroyed: 100,561,277.01
ISK Lost: 256,698,438.33
ISK Delta: -156,137,161.32
Efficiency: 28.148%

Not the best fleet, but more from perspective of the lack of content.

Guys, please submit your SRPs, including those who think they did mistake: this fleet as almost all at E-Uni was for learning and corporation encourages you to fly and learn.
Both Nunnery and Gaheris received additional SRP from FC for losing ceptors in this fleet.

Feel free to share your feedback: https://goo.gl/forms/W6OTiwPMD2Lu1lmL2
Nunnery Michigan
Title: Sophomore

Re: BLAP Caracal Mastership - III

Post by Nunnery Michigan »

Thank you for leading the fleet Budda.

The second Ceptor loss was completely my fault. Nearly all of my time nowadays is spent at the NSC and I got completely forgot about the gate guns when you initiate aggression on the gate. That's a mistake that I shouldn't make again and look forward to helping out in future fleets.

Note - Would long point (e.g. Keres) have helped with the Caracal fleet as a secondary point? This would allow our fast tackle to pull range and/or warp if they're taking damage while being able to point at ~40km.
- Nunnery