Xana McBash
Zana Fehrnah
Zarquu Fussuhfusus ( Hyena )
ashahara
- practiced with fleet commands, including the fleet history
- practiced with broadcasting targets, and focused fire
- travelled to PC9 to pick up Oh' Leeador's dictor
- travelled through Placid to head towards Mantenault

- lost Union's Stiletto to a Machariel at a large. The Machriel one-shot him from 90km away:

Kills and Losses
(19:05:17) Vlillirier
Stiletto -30.17m

Took a fleet fight vs Holy Cookie in Aldranette, vs T3Ds, 2x Storks, and 5x Kirins.

I was *hoping* that our 15 Talwars would be able to Alpha a T3D before it could even catch reps. However, well we didn't:

(19:15:10) Aldranette
Hyena +33.05m

We started the fight 60 km from the beacon, but their two storks burnt out to us *very* quickly. We killed the Hyena instantly, but after that we split DPS. This was due to a combination of slightly unclear commands on my part, and a lack of practice within the fleet, when choosing a primary when you have multiple targets locked. The closest we got to volleying anything was taking a Jackdaw down to 1/4 shield, but it caught reps.

The two storks and Harpy burning in to the fleet got scrams on me as the anchor, as well as a few others around me. I called for Laser to take over as anchor, and the bulk of the fleet was able to continue to pull range, but by this point, we had already been unable to alpha the targets we were firing on, and the fight was lost.

Talwar -9.71m
Talwar -7.89m
Talwar -9.91m
Talwar -11.25m
Talwar -12.72m
Talwar -9.53m
Maulus -2.32m
Condor -4.52m
Talwar -13.23m
Talwar -10.47m
Talwar -8.87m
Capsule -0.01m
Talwar -7.08m
Talwar -13.77m
Talwar -12.77m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 33,048,390.02
ISK Lost: 164,220,308.49
ISK Delta: -131,171,918.47
Efficiency: 16.753%

After the fleet we had a good discussion about:

- the feasibility of 15 E-Uni Talwars volleying a T3D under shield boosts. ( The proof is in the pudding on this one )
- clarity of calling targets and broadcasting
- practice with focusing fleet dps
- how to use ewar in this situation.
- giving pre-flight to new ewar pilots

Thanks for the fleet guys - see you tomorrow with Vexors :)
Laser Skaron
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Re: [Fleet] BLAP Talwars.. ouch.

Post by Laser Skaron »

I'm super happy with the discussion we had afterwards, woohoo, worth it. And you asked for recordings, and I'm sorry to say I didn't push the button on this one.

Hopped in and volunteered to 2IC this one. Was also planning the fight with cookies for a while, as Decklin was moving the fleet around. Was interesting to be on comms with the "enemy", but at the same time it felt weird as I had no clue how much authority I had over that discussion, what was I allowed to divulge (fleet comp? numbers? FC identiy?...) yet at the same time didn't really want to interrupt our FC every half minute in order to answer questions cookies had.

Around the time I took over as anchor, I checked our fleet and saw we had half of our talwars on grid, which made me extra concerned that we were losing really bad. I was ready to take over after Decklin got pinned, and my original instinct was to bail - but somehow I thought maybe we can get another kill, not sure why, increase morale maybe? Also, I've been prone to bailing prematurely when FCing, so I thought if I could salvage something.

I ran into 2 problems: 1) wasn't sure what to shoot. but was looking for something small 2) couldn't find a target to broadcast in my overview (should have sorted by icons in that scenario, sort by range was too confusing). Those + of course, the fact that we had lost over half our dps by now, and I didn't realize that at the time. Eventually I managed to broadcast a merlin but nogo on that. I called for extraction right after that as I got scrammed.

First few minutes on grid are still quite disorienting at times. I feel like I'm getting a better sense of positioning, but not really a good sense of what we're up against.
Two Ghosts

Post by Two Ghosts »

I really enjoy Decklin's fleets - thx for another fun night!

Yes, we got a bit rekt, but we learned a bunch, and I think it was good orientation for at least one super newbro. The debrief was constructive, I think, and I'd like to say here (like I did there) how blown away I am by the way E-uni works so hard to include and teach new players at literally every step of the way; I mean, I know it's the whole reason for the E-uni, but it's still really impressive to see it in action every single time.

Thanks again to all.

~TG
Breeze One
Title: Lieutenant, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Breeze One »

Thanks Decklin for taking this out! Sorry RL stopped me from running this.

Very interested to hear more about the T3D fight and the conclusions of the discussion after!
Captain Cean

Post by Captain Cean »

Laser Skaron wrote: And you asked for recordings, and I'm sorry to say I didn't push the button on this one.
Well better then Nothing -> Video
btw yeah that on the Start is Logi that was as big sissy and cried that we should not take the fight ... sry i dont have recorded how he get rosted by the fc after the fight, for saying that the fleet "shoueld warp off" at the start of the fight.

Good call to primary the Hyena proably the by best ISK/EHP
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

Thanks for sharing the video Cean :)

In *ideal* circumstances, your logi pilot was probably right that we should have been able to volley a Jackdaw with 15k raw damage, killing it before reps could land - this was the reason I wanted to take this fight. However, as our fleet discussed on comms after the fight, 'ideal' circumstances' don't apply here.

I did call you primary as you were burning in for the scram (and I knew you weren't the current FC), but I can also see from your video that less than half of our Talwars actually fired on you.

So I need to basically halve (or less) our potential alpha strike when estimating what we can take on. :( This is kind of frustrating, but a simple reality that I need to accept.
Sun Tzu wrote:If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
So my mistake here was overestimating our ability to focus dps and turn our *potential* alpha strike into *actual*. (My own inconsistency in how I broadcast multiple ships to lock up, before calling one of you primary is to blame here as well).

I can also see now how you caught me so quickly - your change of position with the MJFG caught me off guard and I was anchoring in the wrong direction for a moment there.

A couple people suggested after the fleet that it could help to have a separate anchor instead of the FC. I'm sort of in two minds about this. Part of me thinks that I *should* be able to do both... I just need more practice, and by doing both, I'm able to anticipate where we are moving as a fleet, and what I want to kill next. However, I also realise that I could just say to the anchor how I want them to manoeuvre, giving me greater capacity to focus on shot calling, and better situational awareness.

Anyway, thanks for the learning opportunity :)

o7
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Decklin wrote:A couple people suggested after the fleet that it could help to have a separate anchor instead of the FC. I'm sort of in two minds about this. Part of me thinks that I *should* be able to do both... I just need more practice, and by doing both, I'm able to anticipate where we are moving as a fleet, and what I want to kill next. However, I also realise that I could just say to the anchor how I want them to maneuvre, giving me greater capacity to focus on shot calling, and better situational awareness.
Don't remember who exactly, but one FC told he prefer to be anchor himself: this reduces the delay between his thoughts and fleets execution.

Also, in my opinion, another benefit of FC been an anchor is the elimination of 2nd source of commands: anchor could need to call "prop mode on" / "prop mode off" and sometimes he can't because FC (good FC) should keep talking constantly, especially during the fight.