[Fleet] Mighty Moas! 01/07/17

Post by SketchyManDan Williams »

FC: SketchyManDan Williams
2nd FC: DonkeyPunch Udan
Scouts: Rider Isleman Arashi Shizukana
Vanguard: Z0X Ambrye DonkeyPunch Udan Rijeo
Logi FC: Budda Sereda
Logi: Professor Academiac Phaethonx Brutor Space Warfare Development

Looks like it has been quiet for a few roams this holiday weekend, but we did get a pretty fin fleet fight out of it! :D

Roam members (18)
Spoiler
Arashi Shizukana
Beluan
Budda Sereda
Dirt Hodgins
DonkeyPunch Udan
Genwhi Thellere
Kelon Darklight
Phaethonx Brutor
Pollux Terrentius
Professor Academiac
Rider Isleman
Rijeo
SketchyManDan Williams
Space Warfare Development
Tsuwen Sun
Union Pivo
Xana McBash
Z0X Ambrye

Our first fight! Remeber we left Stacmon at 00:00... 53 minutes to find a fight! Cheers for the patience everyone!
At least it was 2 battlecruisers :D. We quicly primaried the raven, but we lost Arashi. (Scouts warp off as soon as second point is called if needed!)
And the cyclone was quick to follow! I think we had managed to get these guys before they had a chance to crasht the gate!
(00:53:56) Kedama
Atron -4.8m
Drake +67.29m
Cyclone +63.31m

The fleet fight!
Intel was that there were a few Vexors on the gate, along with some Augoros and for some reason they were all just sitting right next to the gate in a little ball? We even had time for me to probe for more intel and they still didn't move away :D. Let's take them!
On landing i asked the logi to burn straight down under the gate so we could position our main DD in between the enemies and the logi, but the logi burned a little to far and seemed to get caught out (Let me know if there's more detatils to this logi! I tend to miss what happens to the logi.). I'll make sure to keep a closer eye on the Logi next time, We may have been able to keep the whole fleet alive with the speed we took down their DD :D

(01:04:02) Hikkoken, Reitsato
Capsule -0.01m
Osprey -10.56m
Osprey -13.54m
Griffin -2.11m
Augoror +27.17m

Next came the pontifex. Here's where I thought that maybe they kept their logi grouped up to the DD so they could use this guy to MJD everyone away from the gate. But, he quickly fell so we began to make our way through their Vexors!
Pontifex +106.37m

It looks like it was nearly blow for blow on either side of the fight. We had only 1 Logi left at this point, and nice one for managing to stay alive that long :).
Somewhere in the middle I noticed the Malediction started taking damage, while I thought this was someone splitting DPS, it turns out the gate guns took it down XD.
Ares -35.65m
Moa -27.53m
Vexor +32.18m
Moa -34.5m
Osprey -22.77m
Malediction +40.42m
Vexor +32m
Osprey -18.53m
Moa -24.48m
Moa -35.15m
Vexor +31.39m

I got taken down here and had to warp my pod off-grid where the 2FC Donkeypuck took over. They quickly took out their last Augoror before moving onto the VNI. After this everything left on grid was too kitey for our Moas, so we left them. Good fight!
Augoror +27.17m
Vexor Navy Issue +96.31m

It was getting pretty late in the roam now, and with most of the fleet down, a few people dropped fleet, and the rest of us reshipped to try and get a little bit more action before the fleet that was scheduled after this one.

Not much found really except what looked like a 30-40 man fleet on our way back to stack. A few of us got caught and were lost 2 more ospreys on the way home :(
(01:52:05) Hirri, Pynekastoh, Oicx
Osprey -13.54m
Osprey -22.77m
Capsule -0.01m
Breacher +22.26m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 545,853,452.83
ISK Lost: 265,949,260.88
ISK Delta: 279,904,191.95
Efficiency: 67.24%

All together quiet run, but it was a really fun fight in the middle, good job all round from everyone!
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: [Fleet] Mighty Moas! 01/07/17

Post by Budda Sereda »

Luckily, I was able to record the fight: https://youtu.be/xZW9FYRoCjU

Many lessons to learn from the video.

0. During invulnerability time speaking about tactic of engagement FC needs to make it clear: "KEEP GATE CLOAK until I command". I believe what have happened is few pilots understood part of discussion as command to attack. I prefer FC make it clear for all together. Something like: primary is going to be "HOL in Augoror", decloak, lock, anchor up, shoot. GO-GO-GO!
1. Always wait for FC to command before decloaking. Especially, if you are a logy pilot.
2. Range control should be bit better: I did burn down when FC called for that, but pushed too far from the BLOB. Though, TBH, I don't believe that was big problem. At least I was able to save Rider in Ares when he was 70km from myself.
3. I was spending too much time trying to get in range. What I feel I should do as a quick measure is to orbit at 30 on FC.
4. After FC went down, 2IC should speak. Calling primary once is often not enough. It was not bad this time, but still something to consider.
5. I do believe logy pilots should whisper in a logy channel when aggro is switched, especially, when logy is primaried. I did lose Space, by trying to catch FC... :(
6. EWar - should stay at LONG range and warp of if red boxed without waiting to take damage

I'm thinking if logies should really burned down in the beginning of the fight and don't really see many reasons for that. We did need to pull the range, but simple orbit at 30km from FC would work better... Thoughts?
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

But I should say: Sketchy, you as FC and we as a fleet did really well! Considering our 'experience' that was a great result!
Glasi Vookto

Post by Glasi Vookto »

After watching the recording, here's some random tips/advice on flying log:

Unless you're in a scenario when you need to keep transversal up, get in your desired position/optimal then cut MWD. That reduces the risk of you drifting too close or too far and saves a lot of cap from not perma running your MWD. Pulse MWD as needed to reposition.
Have friendlies on overview so you can watch your range from your main DPS blob. Keeping in range of them is more important than keeping outside of enemy range.
Pre-lock your logi buddies and FC and prioritize reps on them over anything else. Leave a couple of target slots open for new targets though. Once target loses aggro, you can unlock it to free slots.
Don't rep inties and small stuff while your mainline ships are taking damage. They should generally fend for themselves and at best they take a a targeting slot, at worst they pull reps from the friendly primary, leading to you losing core ships.
Don't start locking enemy ships while your buddies are taking damage. Your priority is repping, not whoring on kills. Plus you risk doing what you did in that fight i.e repping the enemies. I'd go even further and say leave whoring drones at home. They only complicate a logi's life, and if you're a beginner logi pilot you need to fully focus on repping. Killboard padding is only for scrubs and logi drones add quite a bit of extra repping power :)
If your gang is not too big, like it happened towards the end of that fight, you can lock all your core ships to apply reps quicker.
Map your highslots and MWD to hotkeys and use them.
Be more liberal with heat. When seeing a target low, always overheat. When locking something taking heavy damage, pre-overheat your reps while locking them. May have been able to save Professor there if you did that.
Watch watchlist. Pay attention to the health of your fellow logies and act quickly. It's easier then from broadcast history if you can fit everyone on WL.
Turn on your hardeners/sebo immediately after uncloaking. Overheat hardeners when taking damage. Don't forget to switch heat off when not primary anymore.
Remove target broadcasts from history. Leave only rep broadcasts when flying logi. Don't forget to add them back on when flying DPS.
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Thanks Glasi!
BatFC
Title: Sophomore

Post by BatFC »

Few, Glasi that is a long list!

As Budda said in the other thread, during big fights logi keep dying without doing much to contribute. Is there anything we as a logi can do to prevent this?
Glasi Vookto

Post by Glasi Vookto »

BatFC wrote:Few, Glasi that is a long list!
I wrote it in the quick reply window and didn't realize it got so long until after I posted it :)
BatFC wrote:As Budda said in the other thread, during big fights logi keep dying without doing much to contribute. Is there anything we as a logi can do to prevent this?
Not really. Just be on the ball with repping your logi buddies quickly and heating your hardeners when primaried. In many matchups the enemy will have enough dps to easily kill logi through reps. In that case you will go down if they primary you, so it becomes important to survive as long as you can to buy your fleet time to kill more of the enemy and trade better. In others, you can rep the enemy dps, so they'll try to surprise you with hard target switches, Then you need to be even more on your toes with locking and repping. Sometimes applying reps a second earlier can make the difference between life and death of your fellow pilots. Such is the life of the logi pilot, hard but fun :)
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Glasi wrote:I wrote it in the quick reply window and didn't realize it got so long until after I posted it :)
That's better than opposite!
Kelon Darklight
Title: Royal Champion of House Tash-Murkon, Chatty Kelon, Master Baiter, Graduate

Post by Kelon Darklight »

Part of the issue in that fight was the first logi was almost a free kill, as for some reason he decloaked way before the rest of you. In fighting a drone blob like that as well, having the logis separate a bit will force the drones to have travel time b/w the logis, and mwding will help reduce the dps (especially from the ogres they using). The Phastasm also had fairly free reign, as I decided to focus on the primary instead of engaging in a duel with him, so he did alot of damage to our support wing.
Champion of Tash-Murkon
Dirt Hodgins
Title: Sophomore, Reimbursement Staff

Post by Dirt Hodgins »

Good fight, had a lot of fun. Don't think I have done a blaster moa fleet before. Interesting how we have gone from Rail Moa and Blaster Vexor to now flying Blaster Moa and Rail Vexors. Must have something to do with Alpha clones.

Only thing I would have suggested was calling it after we got to Jita instead of trying to go back through low sec wtihout a scout.

Also even though I tried to stay within 500 of the FC I still found I wasn't in optimal range of the primary a lot of time.
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Dirt Hodgins wrote:Also even though I tried to stay within 500 of the FC I still found I wasn't in optimal range of the primary a lot of time.
Pretty much, you need to pulse your MWD often.
But, I personally don't like Blaster fit cruisers in fleet setup. Though, we made many kills... so it was not bad.
SketchyManDan Williams

Post by SketchyManDan Williams »

Dirt Hodgins wrote:Good fight, had a lot of fun. Don't think I have done a blaster moa fleet before. Interesting how we have gone from Rail Moa and Blaster Vexor to now flying Blaster Moa and Rail Vexors. Must have something to do with Alpha clones.

Only thing I would have suggested was calling it after we got to Jita instead of trying to go back through low sec wtihout a scout.

Also even though I tried to stay within 500 of the FC I still found I wasn't in optimal range of the primary a lot of time.
I chose the blasters for 2 reason :). Last week I tried rail Vexors, but found these a bit more of a step past what I normally use. The other fleets I've been in are normally short range frigate fleets, which led me to try the blaster Moas instead this time. They felt a little like a bigger slower brother to a Magic Merlin. Which then led me to arrange a Rail Moa fleet this weekend, before giving those Vexors another shot :).

About the range, in the fight I was also having triuble getting close, they had managed to web me for most of the fight, but I guess they were fit with blasters also which forced them to stay somewhat within our range. Also feel free to give the FC a shout to let them know if you're not in range, I may have activated an MWD myself but forgot to call it out to the fleet :).

The Jita reship was kind of an experiment aha, I normally burn down to there on my own instead of Ichoriya while im in other people's fleets just to avoid the insance prices in Ichoriya at the moment, but you're right, they way I tried to do it this time didn't work at all, we ended up regrouping at very different times, when I guess we could've just called it a day after that fight, especially with a Spectre fleet and Ace Fear's fleet following very soon after.