[AAR] Solitude Drones Kill Drones (June 24 13:00)

Yuri Levnik

[AAR] Solitude Drones Kill Drones (June 24 13:00)

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Our small fleet (really, more of a gang) had a relatively quiet trip out in Solitude, with a long venture into Aridia. We didn't get any player kills, but we cleared quite a few drone sites.

Fleet members:
Spoiler
Yuri Levnik - FC, Vexor
Hirmuolio Pine - Scout, Merlin
Wokum - Russian Ambassador, Vexor
Floki Askold - Amarr Ambassador, Vexor
Dgdsgy Foobar - Reinforcements, Caracal
Furtive Anstian - Moral Support, Probe
I set our original destination to Tukanas and we departed from Boystin - Gravity Well around 13:15. The plan was to jump anyone we could reasonably take and clear rogue drone sites along the way. With only five of us available at our peak, we were looking for relatively easy targets. Hirmuolio scouted us out as far as Agaullores uneventfully. There were five neutrals in system and two rogue drone sites. None of the neutrals were on dscan, so I called for us to take the drone sites. Hirmuolio reminded me that we had no eyes on any of the neutrals, but I stuck with the plan. In fact, I confidently told the fleet "maybe someone will drop in and give us a fight!"

We got one. Hirmulio called a flashy Tengu just before it landed on grid. Not willing to take that fight with only four of us, I called for us to advance to the next system. We ran (bravely) through several more systems, Tengu hot on our tails, until we hit Hier. The Russians were camping the entire system. I called for warp to out gate just as Hirmuolio informed us it was not clear. I rescinded the order and requested the fleet hold gate cloak, but Wokum is so fast on the keys that he had already initiated warp. He stopped his warp, but the Tengu that was chasing us came in the gate and tackled him. We warped off as a Proteus and Gnosis dropped onto grid and blew up our noble fleetmate.

(14:03) Hier
Vexor -14.92MN

In a further show of bravery, we docked up for a break. Wokum discovered that Adria's markets make the Solitude markets look like a SpaceMart Super Center. There was nothing for him to reship into, so he podded himself and headed back home. Dgdsgy joined us in a Caracal to help our numbers. Following undock, we bravely ran to Haimeh and the supposed safety of high sec. Hirmuolio called seven drone sites in Haimeh. I figured we would get some good PVE content while we hide from (strategically evade) the Russians. Unfortunately, it turned out that Floki is an enemy of the Amarr state, so we had to send him to sit in station while the rest of us cleared a couple of drone sites.

We returned to low sec and skirted the Russian camps, clearing quite a few additional drone sites along the way. Hirmuolio briefly tracked a Thorax but he was jumping belt to belt, possibly looking for clone soldiers, so we couldn't catch him. We made it back to Boystin with no additional casualties, though the FC will have to face the Russians again to pick up all of the rogue drone loots (;

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 14,920,110.77
ISK Delta: -14,920,110.77
Efficiency: 0%

Notably, we also got a lot of drone loot, OK bounties and gained about 0.1% security status each (enough for a lot of ganks!).

What we did well:
This was my first fleet as FC, and I would like to thank my fleetmates for their excellent fleet discipline. The fleet stayed together, followed commands and worked well as a small unit. That was particularly important when we were running from the Tengu - we didn't lose anyone until we hit those gate camps, despite hauling through multiple systems in a hurry. Hirmuolio also did a superb job as scout and lookout. Thanks very much to everyone who came!

What we could do better:
I should have known better than to run from a Tengu in cruisers. Our warp speeds are the same, so we weren't about to get away. We should have docked up in an empty system instead and let them decide if they wanted to play docking games.

I also need to think about a better way for us to get content down in Soli. We simply don't see a lot of "bite sized" ships down here, and our fleets aren't large enough to take down big targets. We have a separate thread discussing the possibility of flying larger ships; we could also look for a route to more populated parts of space to roam.

Lastly, I left two full flights of drones in space. There's a lot to think about as FC, but I need to remember to pull those little fellas in before I warp out );

Thanks again to the attendees. See y'all in space!
Yuri
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Wokum
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Solitude Drones Kill Drones (June 24 13:00)

Post by Wokum »

Despite leaving the fleet early due to circumstances beyond my control (!!) it was good fun. Thx Yuri!
Hirmuolio Pine
Title: Wiki Curator, Graduate

Post by Hirmuolio Pine »

You don't always need to keep the scout so close. During the stay in high sec you could have sent me to look around for a lone ratter.
Yuri Levnik

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Excellent suggestion, we'll do that next time we're strategically avoiding people in high sec. Thanks again for the excellent scouting, you made my life much easier as FC.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher