[NSC] Black Mach Down

Xana McBash

[NSC] Black Mach Down

Post by Xana McBash »

Having been asked about this particular engagement by a couple of people, I decided to write an AAR, detailing this tale of bravery, cunning, and honestly, plain old badassery 8)

Prelude

As I arrived in PC9, I immediately spotted a neutral machariel, sitting 50km off the JH- gate

I quickly warped to station, and began the usual routine of checking the pilot's killboard, corp activity, and asked intel about possible neutrals in the backpocket (there were none at the time), when it became clear that this was a safe-ish fight to take, I blew the horn and rallied the troops.

By the time I got the gang organized, the mach was sitting on the undock

The Fight

We undocked our gang, the machariel already pulling range, stopping at ~90km from the station.
In order to neutralize its range advantage over our composition, I immediately began applying damps and ordered our Hero Tackle, Genevieve Nakrar , to warp to a citadel in line with the Mach's current position.
As the machariel burned in closer to shoot at us, I ordered the tackle to warp back at range, landing roughly on top of our target :twisted:

"Scram! Web!" we hear, as we burn in closer and closer, setting our drones, cycling our guns, the first stripes of pink beginning to show on the target's shield.
This is going well, the damps re... What's this? A sudden voice pulls me back to reality:
"He's neuting me... He's neuting me HARD!" - our tackle calls, a slight note of worry piercing his ever present stoic composure.

NoNoNo... How could this happen, I had the perfect plan

Over comms I begin calling for more people to get in the action, begging for scrams and webs, but to no avail. The machariel, already in structure, steadily pulling distance. Our guns no longer hitting, I called for the chase to end, and told my brave companions to warp back to the station. There was no way we could hold it in place long enough to apply enough damage to break his tank.

Still enraged, I begin working on the machariel's drones, which he abandoned close-by, when he switched to lights during the pursuit.

Round 2 FIGHT!

As we murdered drones, the machariel warped back to the station, we almost had him, now his weapons timer was down, he was probably going to dock up and repair, all that work undone, all th...
Wait, what...
The Machariel agressed me again...

Maybe he did not appreciate me blaping his drones, maybe he thought he could kill me, seeing how I was already in half armor.
Whatever his reasons were, the fight was on again, I called it on comms, somewhere in here QFAN joined us with a second tackle, to which he very cunningly applied a nosferatu.
We started throwing everything we had. Me watching, with a devilish smirk, as my armor slowly disappeared, but buying Luc Arbosa enough time to get some work done with the real dps, his cane.

Celestis - https://zkillboard.com/kill/63083296/ - 16,140,230.48 ISK
"Xana is down, xana is down... keep working on him, overheat if you can, I'm reshipping to a thorax, we need more dps"

Finally, as I was undocking and cycling my guns on the target again, the machariel turned into a blinding flash, blue shades flickering across my hull, as the enemy was replaced by a smoldering wreck.
Machariel - https://zkillboard.com/kill/63083307/ - 509,657,432.55 ISK

We gave gf's in local, and I can't speak for everyone in our little deadly gang, but I really appreciated this change to use tactics and teamwork to take down a larger opponent.

Thank you so very much to all those who answered the call, you guys were brilliant, couldn't have asked for better wingmates :p

And to all those that were in the Standing Fleet, and in comms, but simply failed to undock, I'll remember your names
Luc Arbosa
Title: Graduate

Re: [NSC] Black Mach Down

Post by Luc Arbosa »

Xana posted a good overall summary. We were short on DPS so I took out my 'cane, which is the biggest ship I had in the hangar. I figured once I undocked he would run unless he was nailed down, so I waited until point was called to undock and start burning out to him. I got in to gun range but he neut-ed out our tackle and started burning off. He was about half armor at this point so I figured he would disengage. I warped off to the Raitaru to avoid singled out far away from station.

He chose to re-aggress, so no dock for him. X and G (sorry, tired of un-correcting names) got both point and web on him on the second try so no more running away. I warped back and continued working him down. I locked up his drones and started popping them with my drones, as keeping my tackle alive was more important than additional DPS. Slowly ground him down through structure and down he went.

I think we inspired panic. He never made a serious attempt to damage me, despite being the most serious threat. I forgot to even orbit, I was so worried about not getting out ranged I simply kept him at zero; had he ignored the tackle and focused on me he might have forced me off the field.

With only four mid slots my 'cane is dependent on other ships to tackle and hold, which made me think about ways my BC can use the utility high to support tackle when trying to pin down fast ships. Remote shield and remote cap are both good options, or an interdiction maneuver fleet booster.
Last edited by Luc Arbosa on 2017.06.22 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Re: [NSC] Black Mach Down

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

Great tactics and will done guys!!

Also great AAR ;)