[AAR] NOP Magic Merlins killed what?!?! - 2017.06.17

Reise Amatin
Title: Mentor, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Teacher, Graduate

[AAR] NOP Magic Merlins killed what?!?! - 2017.06.17

Post by Reise Amatin »

FCC FEEDBACK
If you participated in the fleet, please leave feedback in the FCC Feedback form. The information you provide me will help me improve and lead better fleets, which leads to more fun for everyone.

FCC Feedback Form

ACTIONABLE GOALS
Improvement items to work on from my last fleet (2017.06.13):
  • Decision Making. Work on using all the tools at my disposal
  • Command Chatter.
PARTICIPANTS
Adoulin ap Io
Akiro Shikkoken
Alto DeRaqwar – Vanguard
Archemide – Logi
Argonis Loken
Balarat
Cyus Erata – Vanguard
Dale Inkunen
DonkeyPunch Udan – 3IC
Jax Renalard
Mrcrab Bojinov
NotA Witch – Logi
Reise Amatin
Rider Isleman
Sioban Mernher
SketchyManDan Williams – 2IC, Vanguard
Space Warfare Development
Tika On
Tlymphocyte
Vors Voorhorian
Wokum
Xana McBash – Logi
Z0X Ambrye – Skirmish Scout
Zetetic Elenchus
gaheris Anninen

OBSERVATIONS

In Ost, Vey, and Eha we found really great targets running the Drone Nest sites. Everyone was excited by these kills and things worked really well. We lost our initial skirmish scout in the Vey engagement but thanks to Vanguard we were able to maintain tackle and EWAR damped targets out so we didn't lose anyone else.

(01:58:02) Ostingele
Caracal +27.38m
Vexor +31.3m

(02:09:56) Vey
Atron -4.29m
Drake +167.89m

(02:46:01) Eha
Algos +42.05m
Capsule +5.42m

We stopped in Ichoriya for a break and headed into NEN/PYN/OKK/etc. for the back half of the fleet. We had reports that there was a substantial cruiser gang with insta-locking fast tackle in PYN at the start of the roam, and as luck would have it they were still in the area by the time we made it down this way. There was a LOT of traffic, and I kept us sitting on the gate into PYN from HIK for too long. Got dropped on by some of the people from the cruiser gang.

(03:28:27) Hikkoken, Nennamaila
Burst -6.58m
Griffin -1.75m

We managed to get around them, and everyone was anxious for kills I think. While our scout was poking around for us, we had several ships that were coming or going past our hold position, with fleet members calling the traffic as normal. Then out of the blue a fleet member calls point, which left us out of position to help.

(03:40:27) Pynekastoh
Ares -32.09m

The next engagement made up for the headache in southern Black Rise. As the scout was searching Okkamoin for us, an Orca dropped by to say hi. It wasn't flashy, and I was hesitant to take a non-combat ship that wasn't flashy (honor? stupidity? I don't know, felt a little...shifty. BUT, if you're going to fly lowsec on a Friday night with no backup....). The people who started taking gate guns warped off and back, and the Orca pilot screwed up by engaging one of the non-flashy ships. This made him free to engage by everyone AND he started taking gate guns. We got the Orca down to 20% armor (with the help of gate guns) when a cyno lit off the gate and a Thanatos dropped in. I called for a warp off, and the Thanatos finished the Orca. I was contacted by a member of a cruiser gang who basically said I had taken off too fast and that I should stick around and see what happens. Meh. My fleet, my call. I made the decision I thought was best. At the time, I assumed the Orca was bait for the carrier, and I didn't feel like losing anyone if we could help it. As it was, I don't see how she thought that a group of frigates would be able to take a carrier before he was able to get fleetmates in to help him. I'm happy with my decision, and I'd do it the same next time.

(03:53:29) Reitsato, Nisuwa
Orca +811.23m
Tristan +0.84m

The trip back to Stacmon was uneventful.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 1,086,099,395.52
ISK Lost: 44,709,131.49
ISK Delta: 1,041,390,264.03
Efficiency: 96.046%

PERFORMANCE REVIEW AND SUMMARY
I'm super happy with my performance in this fleet, with two exceptions. I let myself get overwhelmed by all the input when we were in Nen and Pyn, and that led to losses, which shouldn't have happened had I kept us moving. I don't think anyone else saw the second point, but it's something that was bothering me and I couldn't put my finger on it immediately. There was too much chatter in Mumble. Too many people calling targets, too many questions about whether we were going to engage x or y. I am going to add fleet control as one of my goals for next time. I'm not saying I could have prevented the losses we had, but I feel like I need to keep the chatter down, especially when the scout is having a hard time getting reports off. I need to make sure to stay focused on what I'm thinking of doing next and not get distracted. In a way I feel like "my fleet, my way" is a selfish, but I think it's the only way to handle things when they get crazy as they did in Nen.

Actionable Goals:
  • Decision Making. Continue refining decision-making ability - Check. Super happy with the Orca/Thanatos encounter. Not so much when things got hectic. All I can do is keep working at it. Great improvement using all my various tools (scout, vanguard, etc.)
  • Command Chatter - Check. Better. It's starting to become second nature on what to say and how often and what order, etc.
  • Keep LEARNING! - Check Minus. This one just lives on this list - it's why we're doing the FCC, right?
Quality Improvement Actions for Next Fleet:
  • Decision Making.
  • Fleet control! Need to make sure to keep chatter to a minimum. I will try talking to everyone in the pre-roam briefing about how important it is to keep comms clear when it gets busy.
  • Command Chatter.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image ImageImage Image Image

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Drak N'Gol
Title: Graduate

Re: [AAR] NOP Magic Merlins killed what?!?! - 2017.06.17

Post by Drak N'Gol »

I wasn't on your fleet but it sounds quite productive! Im just commenting primarily to compliment you on your post layout, easy to read and shows people what you were hoping to practice by doing the fleet and why you felt you'd achieved those goals. Nice!
Rider Isleman
Title: Sophomore

Post by Rider Isleman »

Fun fleet. I only just checked in as I am travelling and was surprised to see the Orca on Zkill. I was in the process of warping out from gate guns as the Thanatoses landed and thought they were there to come to the Orca's aid and deal with us. Seemed too unlikely and too coincidental for them to be there attacking the Orca. Your call to scatter seemed completely logical to me.

Rumor has it I am not cap stable.
Reise Amatin
Title: Mentor, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Reise Amatin »

Drak N'Gol wrote:I wasn't on your fleet but it sounds quite productive! Im just commenting primarily to compliment you on your post layout, easy to read and shows people what you were hoping to practice by doing the fleet and why you felt you'd achieved those goals. Nice!
Thanks Drak! I teach at a small college, and every spring we have to submit self-evaluations of how our teaching was and what we'd change, etc. I based the layout of the AAR on that, as it's really very similar.

Rider - Yes, that's basically what went through my head. Although it was REALLY tough giving up that Orca :D

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image ImageImage Image Image

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image