[Solo] Gnosis Edition

Kelon Darklight
Title: Royal Champion of House Tash-Murkon, Chatty Kelon, Master Baiter, Graduate

[Solo] Gnosis Edition

Post by Kelon Darklight »

With the rogue drone event going on, I have once again default back to my battlecruiser ways to run them. While I used to use a harbinger for events like this, there exists a better option for the inspiring solo pilot.
Spoiler
[Gnosis, Pulse Kite]

Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Reactor Control Unit II

Medium Micro Jump Drive
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Warp Disruptor II
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800

Heavy Pulse Laser II, Scorch M
Skirmish Command Burst II, Interdiction Maneuvers Charge

Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II
Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II
Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Infiltrator II x5
Warrior II x5

Conflagration M x5
Scorch M x5
Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x5
Imperial Navy Radio M x5
Nanite Repair Paste x150
Navy Cap Booster 800 x25
Interdiction Maneuvers Charge x150
Rapid Deployment Charge x150
The slot layout allows you some interesting things. With your utility high, use it for a link. I prefer running the interdiction charges in it. This allows the Gnosis to reach out to 34.5km with a heated point, which nicely syncs in with the 31+6 range with scorch. The double webs, with heat, allow you to defensively web things at 15.5km, though by compacting the damage control you can fit a scram instead (arguments can go either way for 2nd web vs scram). One of the best selling points though vs my old harbinger fit is that you have room for a mjd! This adds a great defensive and offensive tool to your kit, either allowing you to escape from gate camps (I ran through several) or getting a guy who runs off. It also runs about 29k ehp + another 10k ehp if you get all the charges off from the repper, does about 550 dps at range (though it is key to note that 200 of that dps is your medium drones, which is why I do not recommend anything other than infiltrators or valkyries for it). The fit also carries radio and drop for sniping frigates orbiting you at 30+km (radio due to no tracking penalty and drop for additional tracking).

Here's a few interesting fights I have had during the event:

http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=428687 I was running a site and a rapier pops up 40km from me. Due to having the mjd, there was no need to warp off so I engaged. It orbited me at 30km with me dragging at 200 m/s, but this was fine due to being able to mjd and it being in range of the lasers. As it boosted shields, a Gila landed about 80km away from us. At this point the rapier is quickly burning through his charges on his xl-asb to tank me, so I decided to risk it and keep fighting. I hit the mjd (as I did not know if the Gila was point or scram fit) as the Gila reached 30km from me (due to it going 2+km/s) which was the closest I could risk waiting for mjd. The rapier died, and with 3 seconds left the Gila managed to get scram as I had mistimed when I should have hit mjd. Possibly, I should have aligned out instead and just hit warp once rapier died. Down one Gnosis, up 300 mil in kills!

http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=428986 When you see a hectate burning at you, they are generally cap boosted, with dual rep. You do not want a ship like this on top of you! With this in mind I burned away from him at overheated mwd speed, and had my linked webs heated. This allowed me to fend him off once he got in web range, and he attempted to bail after that attempt to get scram failed. With no success obviously!

http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=429013 A kill due to the power of the mjd. He landed 80km off, which was prefect for a mjd driveby. The only real issue is you do not have the range to exploit it properly, with 62.5 km lock range. This just means you need to be ready with ctrl click and ready to tackle him once you get lock!

http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=428641 This kill shows another good use of the mjd. I was dueling with him, and he realized he couldn't win, so he ran away. I was obviously much slower, but I turned off mwd and pre-heated it, let him gain some distance, and then hit mjd. This allowed me get in front of him so I could re-engage and finish him.
Champion of Tash-Murkon
Glen Burney
Title: Manager (LSC), Fittings staff, Ensign, Sophomore, Management

Re: [Solo] Gnosis Edition

Post by Glen Burney »

Thanks for the fit and notes Kelon! The details regarding the individual modules and their use is excellent!

ImageImageImage
Most all-time kills by a Unista, more than 14k ships exploded, 4k more than the next best (heart Kelon)
Kelon Darklight
Title: Royal Champion of House Tash-Murkon, Chatty Kelon, Master Baiter, Graduate

Post by Kelon Darklight »

A bit of a wrap up as the rogue drone event comes to a close here

Something I forgot to mention, and its quite nice, is the Gnosis has a 4 second align time, which not only makes it quite nimble and quick to realign, but allows it to usually jump through things. If you land on a gate with a fleet, you can generally warp off as people except the bc to have slow align time and may not realize you are aligning off in time. My similar harbinger fit has about 8.3 second align time by comparison. If they do agress, you can jump through and try to warp off. In most cases this works as they wont be able to set up in time to nab you.

I got a kill that I think deserves some discussion- Orthrus http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=430661
You have to be careful with these rapid light missile boats, as they represent a huge threat to the lightly tanked Gnosis. On the plus side, no rapid light missile boat by itself can kill the Gnosis in a single clip even with fury (clip for Orthrus is 33.3 k damage, clip for Caracal is 20k). This means as long as you started running your repper a little before you take armor damage, you will survive the first clip in structure. This tends to help bait them in staying as you are very close to dead and they don't want to leave such a tempting target. If you see any gang with more than one rapid light missile boat though, you need to just leave it alone, as a pair will kill you within a clip. They also tend to be quite tanky so trying to take one down before mjding out is usually quite futile.

I did fight a number of frigates gangs, of which I won't link here, but I'll discuss some of the tactics. Firstly try to split them up as much as possible, you can pick off ships coming into you one by one, not in packs of 3. Also, most frigates gangs in low sec tend to be a bit kitchen sink, so they will have differing speeds between the ships even if they all land at the same time. This allows you to keep burning and create some separation b/w the frigates chasing you. Secondly, prioritize targets you suspect are scram fit over point fits. Anything that is generally a brawler will usually fit a scram so shoot those first if possible. It is usually worthwhile to pop the drop booster if you see a bunch burning at you. Use scorch on t1 frigates and radio on the harder to hit frigates like inties. Don't forget you have a mjd if you want to sneak through the guys charging at you and take out latecomers to the party! It is a risky move but can be quite rewarding.

I almost didn't want to mention this, but there is a way to lock in overheat status. The main issue is its a bit clunky to get back at it to change the status to unlocked, but can be a useful way to keep the webs permanently heated. Lower right stack of lines on hud, left click, lock overload state. I find it inflexible as you cant manually change the heat status until you redo those steps and turn it back off.
Champion of Tash-Murkon
Adoulin ap Io

Post by Adoulin ap Io »

This post is enormously helpful for an aspiring Gnosis pilot like myself. Thanks for taking the time to document all this.