[LSC] Magic Merlins Low-sec roaming - III

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[LSC] Magic Merlins Low-sec roaming - III

Post by Budda Sereda »

Was fun fleet! I would even say "great", but I beginning was quite a bit hectic and we had quite a few unnecessary loss in the very beginning.

Roam members (38):
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Adree Jericho
Alorenei Alabel
Alto DeRaqwar
Arrek Lemmont
Barrett Chanlin
Beth Knell
Budda Sereda
Caliban Ohmiras
Dale Inkunen
Disciple
DonkeyPunch Udan
Garrett Achasse
Iratus Austrene
Jor'Ox
Kaeltor Nadsmin
Kinkajouu
Lededje Nardieu
Leela Cesaille
Marisol Aldurad
Mike North
Nunnery Michigan
Philbro Kishunuba
Razer Thukkerkin
Roy Batista
Sawney JuskaRath
Simeon Snowlocke
SketchyManDan Williams
Steve Nova
Tlymphocyte
Tokumei Kumiai
Trevor Grambling
Trystel Nickel
Tyler Arnoux
Vors Voorhorian
Will Musana
Wokum
Z0X Ambrye
gaheris Anninen
After standard 'newbro speach' (including gate fights mechanic agressing non-flashy targets) we started by taking non-flashy Tristan in Stacmon:
Many pilots died due to gate guns.
(02:23:06) Agoze, Ostingele, Stacmon
Merlin -7.03m
Tristan +13.05m
Merlin -0.81m
Merlin -1.05m
Merlin -6.75m
Merlin -5.5m
Merlin -0.91m
Capsule -0.01m

That's very unfortunate. But, I do believe we all should learn how to survive guns fire and what to do. Once again, if you aggress non-flashy target you will be aggressed by gate guns. They shoot hard, have high alpha damage and even with MANY logies T1 frigates and many destroyers will die from guns unless do something. And "something" means warp out for at least 1000km. After that you can come back and shoot same target without been aggressed by guns.
The sequence of actions pilots should do agresing non-flashy targets is following:
1. Lock the target.
2. Align to pin (pin is a BM at the same gate which is more than 1000km far; if you don't have BM align to any celestial, better to the nearest one).
3. As you get the lock - aggress the target and shoot it.
4. As soon as you aggressed by guns - bounce: warp to pin and warp back to the gate, or to FC or to somebody who is nearby the targets.
With Magic Merlins it is a bit worse as they don't have long-range lasers so will fall out of the shooting range quickly. But, especially for the new players, this is better than die due to gate guns. As an option, you can load long range ammo... but just don't bother and wait for guns to aggress you and bounce.

And I don't remember when exactly, but we got Deimos jumped into us. Deimos was looking like a bait, but we made it! :) I believe he was indeed non-flashy and we got him by losing only 1 more ship due to guns and nobody due to Deimos.

Merlin -5.75m
Deimos +358.44m

Big thanks to logies as I was constantly getting fire from the Deimos but did not even get into armor.

We had quite a few people lost, so I asked them to reship and decided to hang around nearby to Stacmon so we can continue together. We got kill in Agoze losing another pilot due to gate guns :(

Tristan -14.45m
Tristan +14m
Condor -12.19m
Executioner +0.5m

We were trying to catch things in Agoze/Ost, were playing (or better to say, suffering) from Garmur while and few more small ships ... And at this time I got a report that people in Stacmon are aggressed and killed.

That was my first mistake: I should have reminded to fleet we are flashy and be careful. Careful means:
- use insta-dock BM to dock
- use insta-undock BM to undock
- or wait in low-sec system until suspect timer passes

In comms I heard many concerns regarding been attacked in Stacmon... later I learned it was 1 only out of 8 kills which is not TOO bad.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/62693033/ -1.0m
https://zkillboard.com/kill/62693064/
Tristan -15.04m - actually, i'm not sure when this did happen, from killmail does not look like it was at undock.
Capsule -38.73m

I believe we panicked more than was really needed. Instead of continuing roaming I did a mistake: I called fleet to jump into Stacmon and warped to insta-undock for the station V. My intention was to scare campers or maybe distract them and see what can I do to secure undock for newbros.

This lead to 1 more loss: pilot was pointed in Stacmon on the Ost gate and was killed when whole fleet warped away :(

Burst -6.51m

I need to think how to deal with situations when your fleet is flashy, needs to reship, and systems are full of small tackly-ing ships...

Now I think that fleet of 30-35 pilots should not wait for 2-3 more reshiping. Unless we absolutely cannot leave without them.
I believe I made above recommendations on how to deal is situation when you are flash and need to reship. 2nd problem could be to catch up with fleet. This is not a big deal for small ships: often they can travel really fast. But if you had fleet of cruisers...? How can pilot catch up with a fleet traveling solo?

One of things: do wait for suspect timer to expire, travel only after that. If jumped into a camp, split opponents: force them to aggress you and jump back through the gate.

I'm looking for more experienced FCs and pilots to advise: anything else could be done to reship and catch up with fleet?

Later, I would say we got the pace and had quite a few interesting fights.

We had quite a few problems with having quite a quick ships like Svipul, Slicer, and Garmur kiting us at range, pulling people and killing them 1-by-1.
Guys: please do stay with the fleet and unless explicitly confirmed don't engage.

(03:13:15) Aldranette
Ares -31.92m
Bantam -1.14m
Worm +104.05m

(03:22:00) Nennamaila
Tristan +6.98m
Thorax +32.61m
Capsule +0.01m

Had engagement when Rupture, Omen, Vexor and Profecy landed on plex with us: we were able to dispatch all of them. Again, kudos to logies!

(03:31:31) Nennamaila
Condor -1.17m
Merlin -6.39m
Vexor +34.15m
Crucifier -1.46m
Merlin -3.8m
Omen +33.59m
Rupture +31.13m
Merlin -1.37m
Ares -31.92m
Prophecy +84.94m
Merlin -5.33m
Merlin -5.09m
Imperial Navy Slicer +103.99m

I believe we picked this Caracal on the gate and were ganked by another fleet:
(04:09:57) Hikkoken
Ares -30.98m
Caracal +33.25m
Capsule +0.01m
Merlin -0.56m
Merlin -9.28m
Burst -3.41m

I lost a ship in this engagement and called for somebody to volunteer to lead a fleet. Nobody x-up.. so I was going to move all to Ichoriya so I can jump into a ship, but Tyler (unless I'm mistaken) gave me his ship so we continued.

The last interesting and exciting moment one was a station game with Dominix and Slicer which finished by undocked Carrier so we disengaged.
Merlin -5.92m
Merlin -6.41m

Guys, you should have warped away as soon as you saw Thanatos undocked: we can TRY killing Dominix on the station, but not a carrier.

Merlin -1.06m - don't remember how did that happen...

Somebody finished that Slicer:

Imperial Navy Slicer +23.62m

For some reasons, flashy Dominix shortly warped to the gate: it was looking like a bait and I was hesitant taking it: concern was that he will get his friend in Thanatos again. After some hesitation, I decided to take him.... I guess he thought he will be able to tank us, but shortly another gang joined us and helped to deal with Domi :)

(04:35:04) Nennamaila
Merlin -1.05m
Dominix +242.56m

And they took one of our logies:
Bantam -4.92m
Capsule -0.01m

Upon that we moved back to high-sec, tried to catch WTs, but got nothing and finished fleet without further suprises.

Was fun, thanks to everybody for joining!

Totally killed: 1,116.86 M ISK
Totally lost: 268.9 M ISK
Efficiency: 80.6%

NICE! :)

I would like to list things which I believe should be better:

1. Learn to fight on gates
2. Learn how to reship and catch-up with fleet (any input is welcome!)
3. Move quicker: quite often I noticed fleet was slow aligning and warping out. Please do let me know if commands were unclear or too quick. I believe it was not about me, but please do let me know if there is something I should improve.

What was good:

1. I love logies: they saved me quite a few times!

P.S. Tyler Arnoux - was that you who gave me your ship? Please confirm so I will contract it back to you
Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: [LSC] Magic Merlins Low-sec roaming - III

Post by Adrien Claremont »

Budda Sereda wrote:We started by taking non-flashy Deimos in Stacmon: was looking like a bait, but we made it! :)
Um.... is that not just ganking a neutral in hisec? Did the fleet get Concorded?
Razer Thukkerkin

Post by Razer Thukkerkin »

A bit of a struggle early on, but this fleet was awesome stupid fun! We had several fleet fights along the way, even got to skin and de-horn some Light Red Unicorns! We tackled a Domi on-gate in Nennamaila and eventually took it down, thanks to some help from Caldari militia members in-system who joined us in the fight. With 30+ fleet members, we managed to zerg quite a few cruisers and a battlecruiser in addition to the Domi.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tlymphocyte
Title: Sophomore

Post by Tlymphocyte »

Big thanks to logi for keeping us alive! They even got a salty remark in local from the domi pilot we killed. He was using hammerheads to try to track our frigates and I completely disabled his guns with weapon disruptors. The logibros managed to rep all the damage that stuck - we def would have list more without them.
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Adrien Claremont wrote:
Budda Sereda wrote:We started by taking non-flashy Deimos in Stacmon: was looking like a bait, but we made it! :)
Um.... is that not just ganking a neutral in hisec? Did the fleet get Concorded?
Sorry, that was in Ost at Stacmon gate.
Leela Cesaille

Post by Leela Cesaille »

This was my first pvp (intentional, anyway :P ) since last September, and I'm so happy I went out. I ended up YOLOing to the Domi with the vanguard, because I seemed to be having Mumble issues all night and comms were cutting out. Once the Thanny undocked his fighters took my wee Merlin out quickly.

My RL schedule doesn't allow me to get out on these roams very often, so I'd forgotten how much fun they are! Hope I can join in on the fun again soon. Thanks Budda!
Former Senior Personnel Officer
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Wrote a full AAR. Many thanks to all who joined.

Please advise on my questions!
Barrett Chanlin
Title: Sophomore

Post by Barrett Chanlin »

Good job FC, got my 1st killmail! Keep up the good work.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image