Title: Lieutenant, Teacher, Graduate

[AAR] BLAP Vexors vs Holy Cookie

Post by Breeze One »

ISK Efficiency: 22.3%
Learning Efficiency: 98.5%
(B'aldrick calculated it. With SCIENCE)

FCC Feedback Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... =send_form

Planning Stage:

I really enjoyed planning this guys. Due to Op-Sec, and our Slack being...worryingly insecure, Laser set up an OpSec channel where we gathered some of the more active LSC guys to help plan and strategise. It would take too long to summarise all of our thoughts and debates, but maybe just two points:
Spoiler
After research on Holy Cookie, we struggled a bit to see any consistent T1 Cruiser doctrines (until the other day when they flew Omens), but we did identify a possible preference for brawling fits. We quickly elected early on that we would use one of the two BLAP doctrines to ensure participation. We ultimately went for Vexors over the Caracals.

It was a close one, but for me it came down to flexibility. With the Vexors we could set up at range, or brawl alongside them. We had flexible mid-slots to play with tactics with the damps. And as FC I was more familiar with flying them. The Caracals, while powerful, seem more one dimensional to me - and subsequently very easy to predict from a tactics point of view. Using them effectively also would mean using tactics which as a corporation I feel we're (or maybe just I'm) still not great with - the hit and run kiting strategy. Given uncertainty over Cookie's doctrine, Vexors seemed to offer the safest option.

While we tried not to overcomplicate things (or rather, I tried to overcomplicate things and Laser stopped me :P ), we did try one new tactic. Cookie had asked us if they could fit ECM drones on their Logi. Assuming these would be applied to our Logi, we decided to try some "point defense" tactics. Adrien Claremont therefore flew a smart bomb equipped Vexor alongside the Logi wing, aiming to smart bomb any drones trying to jam our Logi. In the end given how the fights went I'm dubious how much use we got out of that, but its a great idea, and kudos to Adrien for coming up with it and implementing it.
All in all, I learned almost as much planning this (Smartbombs, drone speeds and hitpoints, doctrine strategy etc) as I did flying it. Great fun!

Formup

Great formup. Plenty of people (31 overall), plenty of doctrine ships, and SO MUCH LOGI! Great turnout guys. Thank you so much for that. Without people turning up, we would have lost at the undock.

Fights:

So, we didn't really look for content much apart from our fleet fights, so lets jump to it.

Round 1: The power of the boosh defeats us

We found Holy Cookie in a Medium plex in VLI, in a Blaster Moa fleet, with a few Ospreys, Stork and Bifrost. I know that ideally you should never take the fight on the enemies terms, but we had a similar optimal range (both brawl fits), a larger fleet, more Logi, and a reasonable strategy on paper. Vexors would apply damps to one Logi, while our Logi would deploy ECM drones against another. With two Logi off the table, and both of us in brawling fits, we had a decent chance, despite the obvious SP differential. I didnt expect to sweep the floor but I thought it would be a decent brawl.

Your FC however completely ignored the Command Dessies (except for noting that they would be providing command boosts)

We warped to the gate, and I had DD slide first and Logi wait for a few seconds. Probably the right call in theory - but it played heavily against us. On the gate as we landed, as expected, was the Moa ball - and the Stork. They immediately booshed off the ball of both DDs, leaving our Logi to land 100km off of us, while their own DD was perfectly positioned in regards to their Logi. It was a textbook division of our fleet

I called DD to anchor on me and burned back to the Logi, calling DD targets as we went, but we lost several Vexors in the process, and were unable to break the Osrey's reps. Then once we got back into Logi range, I (as anchor) overshot slightly - we dragged their DD right back into our Logi gang, who quickly fell to the Moa's blasters before I called the scatter.

I've invited Kane (Cookie FC) to comment, but in conversation afterwards he said that he saw the boosh as the only way to break the number of Logi we had. It worked beautifully.

What could we have done better here?

We should have scrammed the Stork as soon as we landed. I put my hands up to that, I lack familiarity with Command Dessie's and booshes. I know what they can do in theory of course, but its the first time I've seen them used so effectively and my brain just wasn't wired for the danger, so I didnt call it.

The boosh was the story of that fight essentially, but a few more comments:

I was calling targets but was slow to broadcast them. I need to improve that (and I felt I did in the second fight)

Its been said before, but the Vexors struggle with target switching tactics to beat Logi

We could maybe have used the damps better to disrupt their logi after we were booshed. We had, as mentioned, planned to have damps on one target - then ECM drones on the other. In the heat of the moment I stuck to this strategy of a single damped target, whereas calling to spread damps would have been more effective during the time when the ECM drones werent available (due to the range). Not sure it would have changed much, but still, a point for improvement.

What did we do well?

Great work anchoring guys, great work concentrating DPS, and great work Logi once we caught up to you. I felt, honestly, that we did the basics of fleet combat VERY well here. In any of the normal fights we get, that would have carried the day for us. Sadly we, or rather your FC was just completely outmaneuvered by the boosh. Well played Cookie!

Vexor -40.2m
Pontifex -89.3m
Vexor -24.89m
Maller -27.42m
Vexor -19.01m
Vexor -32.52m
Slasher -3.72m
Augoror -21m
Augoror -12.1m
Augoror -30.69m
Augoror -12.14m
Augoror -25.02m
Vexor -39.85m
Augoror -32.21m

Interlude:
Ares -34.85m

Round 2: We learn...things :)

We reshipped in Ichoriya (my pre-stocking paid off!) and headed home expecting just a standard roam. Instead, we found Cookie heading into Akidagi as we left. They jumped through to us, and aggressed as I called to jump through them into Nennemaila. Their fleet was split - with weapons timers especially on the Command Dessies keeping some members in Akidagi while the rest followed us into Nennemaila. I hesitated for a moment, as there was also a Cynabal gang in system, but there was never really an option of not taking this one for some revenge :D

This was a much more even engagement - but, and I would have to re-watch this, but I believe what happened was, I targeted their DD initially, but quickly realised the lesson from before - that our damps weren't doing enough alone to disrupt their Logi - so I had our DD anchor on me and I burned at their Logi...while their DD did the exact same thing to ours. Given we were all on the gate, and starting at random distances, no-one was well positioned, and we ended up killing each others Logi while the Logi squads struggled to reposition.

The Cynabals 3rd partied as expected, but luckily went for Cookie first, who warped out, and we soon followed. Sadly, we did lose Adrien who was warping back in thinking we controlled the field. Sorry Adrien.

What could we have done better here?

We had jumped first, and had I been quicker to decide to take the fight, we could maybe have positioned ourselves better on the gate before they jumped through

Again, I think our strategy and use of Damps could do with some work. I think I'm much better with this than my first times with this doctrine (where I lsargely ignored them as an option), but I still feel we could be using it more effectively. I need to watch the video Laser made and think about this

I think I should have called Logi to scatter when I saw the DD were past us and primarying the Logi. Having Logi warp off to a close celestial (even if they lost 1 or 2 in the process), then warp back to our DD at range may have let us group up properly and set us up better for the rest of the fight, had Cookie not warped out

What did we do well?

Again, Logi did great keeping us alive, then keeping each other alive despite being primary. Anchoring was great from the DD, and we focused DPS well to start taking out their Logi. Overall fleet discipline was great guys once again. Considering we had a large number of brand new guys on their first fleet, that was a great, great job.

Hyena -24.81m
Augoror -32.49m
Augoror -21.81m
Augoror -20.51m
Osprey +29.13m
Vexor -28.67m
Osprey +28.25m
Osprey +29.23m
Merlin +8.1m
Osprey +28.21m
Augoror -12.1m
Vexor -17.19m
Osprey +26.63m
Moa +43.6m
Vexor -38.97m
Vexor -31.48m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 193,135,444.44
ISK Lost: 672,937,747.72
ISK Delta: -479,802,303.28
Efficiency: 22.3%
Spoiler
Roam members (31)
Adrien Claremont
Ariea Thellare
Azrael Feanorian
B'aldrick Aivoras
Barbara Blast
Breeze One
Crane Aideron
DeanSherman
Decklin Quark Reiger
Doctress House
Eddie Dante
Elihugh Beecher
Ezenla Amphitrite
Gandar Thiesant
Gatt2111
JohnPlayerNotSpecial
Kramnath
Laser Skaron
Maximus Hert
Mrcrab Bojinov
Nomad Udan
Pollux Terrentius
Pronto Pup
Rezda Nardieu
Ronnie Wellings
Serendipity Wolfson
Trixie Lapin
Union Pivo
Velts Engren
Wokum
Zeerse Solaris
Last edited by Breeze One on 2017.05.17 17:16, edited 4 times in total.
Breeze One

Re: [AAR] BLAP Vexors vs Holy Cookie

Post by Breeze One »

THANK YOU

Laser Skaron, Adrien Claremont, Decklin in particular for helping me plan and organise this on Slack
Max for Logi FC'ing
Zeerse for efforts supplying T2 BLAP contracts
Kramnath and Mrcrab for stepping up as first time scouts - great work guys
All our Logi bros!

Big thanks as well to Holy Cookie - not only for agreeing to the fight, but also being great sports - They stuck to the fight restrictions we'd agreed on, didnt try to upship or use anything we hadn't discussed in advance, and they didnt go kitey BS on us with their doctrine - even though that was never a restriction we put in place. They did everything possible to make it a good fight except for letting us win! :wink:

FINALLY - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT TO FLY WITH US!
Last edited by Breeze One on 2017.05.17 02:53, edited 2 times in total.
Breeze One

Post by Breeze One »

Additional footage and commentary by Laser Skaron:

Thank you Breeze for setting this up! Thank you cookies for asking for this arranged fight! Thank you all for joining!

This was super fun to set up, organize and plan, debating what to bring, what additional tactics to employ, whether we would use cloaky scouts, booshes, boosts, smartbombs, brick tanks, different types of drones, different fits, what the cookies would bring, how we would practice before the fleet... Some things worked, some didn't, but all in all, filmed from the logi anchor perspective, this is what happened:

Fight 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gWT-1o_sA
Fight 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueY_tynnWM

So what can we learn from these wonderful moments?

Most of these observations come from our first fight.

1. It takes the uni about 30-60 seconds to get their bearings after landing grid. It takes us ages to even notice we got booshed. From my personal perspective you can see me desperately trying to lock up Decklin without realising he's out of range. Until someone mentions "we got booshed" nothing makes sense.

Up until now, I thought defending a gate only gives you the option to dictate range. I was wrong, It also gives you the ability to hide information and gives you the first move in combat. Our lack of experience prevents us from even noticing that first move was taken as we tunnel vision into anchoring, setting up cap chains, locking up targets.

2. We actually made decent/correct calls after we realized we got split up, nice work everyone.

3. I have way to many brackets on screen, and my Fleet tab shows stuff I don't need. Those fireworks also didn't help (can't believe fireworks actually affected combat...). It's interesting as this only becomes a problem in fleet fights. Overview, brackets and broadcasts only become problems in combat, and there's no time to tweak and adjust them there. I can't actually tell if our smartbombs are being effective due to this.

4. I'm piloting too close to the enemy fleet. You can clearly see their logi positioned correctly at around minute 4:00 in the first fight, and it's rare we do the same. This is partly caused by a few issues:
- I am anchor, and I'm also the fastest Augoror on grid, I tried at times to manually set my speed with varying degrees of success, but the logi ball was constantly stringing apart.
- I tried at times to pilot logi so we would regroup (can't tell if we succeeded).
- It's hard to see the logi "ball" (same as point 2).
- I focus less on anchoring when I'm repping things.
- Even when these factors were less in effect during the 2nd fight, I stayed too close.

5. People do not broadcast in position.

6. It was a very quiet roam actually. Very calm, no panic on comms. However, it feels like a lot of extra information could have been communicated: status updates between DD and Logi, logi primaries, positioning updates (both friendly and hostile). Especially since there were 6-10 players with little experience.

7. They go for our logi wing in both fights, in both fights they manage to break us by regularly changing primaries, and coordinating alphas. We don't have enough experience in terms of responding to that. Plus little communication in the actual wing to survive.

8. I believe fights were over when logi went down, both of them.

9. I have a pretty bad reaction time, both for broadcasting and for responding to broadcasts. At the 7:30 mark, one of our logi (Crane) broadcasts for reps, plus I have him on my watch list. I only begin targeting him at 7:41 when he's at around 40% armor. That's two whole rep cycles. Same thing goes with our next squad member (Pollux) and by 8:10 three of our logi go down. It took 30 seconds for half of our logi wing to go down, after managing to keep reps for about 2 minutes throughout the fleet reasonably well.

The second fight has a similar story, but we manage to hold better even though they start by going for our logi wing.

10. Our logi could have held both fights. I can get a feel of how many rep cycles get wasted and what it takes for reps to actually apply properly.

And I guess there's a ton more we could talk about :). Feel free to discuss the footage. It's pretty much only uploaded for this reason.
Thanks again everyone! Was really fun to get a medium sized fight with roughly equal strength on both sides.

PS. Breeze, does this bump learning efficiency over 100%?
Last edited by Breeze One on 2017.05.17 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Thanks to Breeze for setting this up, I thought numbers could have been higher, but maybe it was an hour or two too early to catch the first USTZ people.

I was only there for round 1 so my thoughts on that were:

As a pre-arranged fight, I don't see why we should hand them the advantage by sliding into a plex where they will be at whatever optimal they want, with logi positioned, no matter our going in plan, we were going to take significant losses. Lets wait for them at the sun where at least there needs to be some effective fleet manoeuvres. If they refuse, well, they're not really the right people for us to learn with, move on with a roam.

I feel like I have different target prioritisation to most FCs, primary is called as one of their mainline dps, I'm thinking they have a crow, merlin and hyena, none of which should have been able to tank our dps even with reps, those things at least should be forced off or killed.

Much as I love Vexors, I can't understand the BLAPS doctrine, I am being told a rail gun drone boat is brawly, which to me just doesn't sound right. It feels like it's trying to be a jack of all trades, and when faced with a master of something, it's going to come out poorly. The same doctrine can't be optimal for a 100 pilot large fleet battle and a 20 pilot low sec roam.

Not one for Breeze to answer but we need to find a way to include all factions so that any Alpha can come along. If cruisers can't be crowbarred into the right tank then why not some face melting dessies, every faction has them.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Rezda Nardieu
Title: LSC Logistics Division, Can of Worms, FCC staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Rezda Nardieu »

Thanks Breeze. I know how much effort these things are to setup. Great job FC'ing. You were calm and controlled, and communicated really well.

I few minor points of feedback, which are always easier to make in hindsight, and also are my opinion only:

1. I think we were a bit slow to realise we had been booshed. A priority should have been to get the fleet back together. We probably should have overheated our prop mods to try to get back into logi range before we even worried about who we were going to shoot at.

2. Traveling carefully in a fleet is good, but sometimes we need to get places fast. When Decklin had a ship tackled we were still aligning and warping and holding cloak. Ideally in a situation like this Decklin would link the system he is in and we burn like crazy to get there before he dies. It may not have mattered in this case but we probably took a good 30 seconds longer to get to him than if we had of just burned.

Good fun fleet.
Breeze One

Post by Breeze One »

Mmmmm the answer to the target prioritisation from my perspective is, the small stuff (Merlin etc) wasn't altering that fight in any appreciable way. Killing it, removing it, doesn't win or lose us that fight. Initially, my aim is to win the fight, and in this situation that means going for DD and Logi. When it becomes clear we cant win the field, my priority is getting the fleet out - although arguably I should have called that sooner. Those are my priorities, not getting some green on the killboard with ships which are of minimal impact on the battle. People's approaches may vary, but thats not an aspect I'd change much with hindsight.

On taking the fight in the Medium. I mean yes, I acknowledged above that it played out badly for us. But fighting at the sun is not a neutral or fair option either - it's a battleground which favours us rather than them. We could have done that and asked them to come join us. But if they had refused to come play, it wouldn't have been that they're "not really the right people for us to learn with" - its just that they're making the same calculation as us. Both of you are saying "my way (location) or the high way".

Should we have gone into the Medium? On hindsight obviously not. But again thats more down to me not anticipating the boosh tactics. Remove the boosh from the equation (which I had clearly mentally done :P ) and that is a fight I probably would choose to slide into again given our numerical advantage.

On the doctrine...I mean Raido or someone will probably come along to talk more about it, but I quite like it. It took me a bit of a mental leap to get to grips with it, and I still dislike the speed, but its a nice flexible doctrine. Its not the dream doctrine no - as discussed at the end of the fleet, my preferred option for the fleet was Thoraxes, but its the one which guarantees participation and numbers. We work with what we have.
Breeze One

Post by Breeze One »

Rezda - Agree with everything there. I was very slow to recognise we'd been booshed and start burning back to Logi. It took me by surprise and I reacted slowly. You're totally right.

And yes, I brushed over Decklin's loss between the two Cookie fights a bit there just in the interests of time, but yes I agree, a bit less caution on the fleet movement might have gotten us across the systems we needed to save him. Thats fair.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Battlefield: so why should we be the accommodating party? They're a good pvp corp with a boosher, if they can get themselves at zero, in an open area of space then well done. If they won't even try that and come out of their pre-prepared ambush, then we should head off. I can't see any good outcome in sliding in.

Targets: we should think beyond a dps vs logi mechanic where it's probably an even fight (although it wasn't), their hyena was painting, so he's making a difference across their fleet on their dps, kill it. the interceptor was a long point, probably to stop anyone being able to burn out and get away, the Merlin, probably there to keep Decklin from booshing with his scram. The recent experience to point to is Shortbus, when command was thrown to Coaxster unexpectedly he had the knowledge to immediately switch targets.

Doctrine: I think flexibility makes my point for me, it's probably ok for people just to jump into for a QRF, at the moment I can only see disadvantages for anything else, very slow so it can't kite or close, basically it can't control range so even a fight outside of a plex probably would have ended the same way. We sure could have got people to bring something else as we had some notice.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Breeze One

Post by Breeze One »

I'll just respectfully disagree on the target calling Zeerse. I've already laid out why and nothing you've said changes my opinion on this. The only other thing I'd add is the time taken to lock and switch targets to Frigates when flying Cruisers and with Medium drones deployed, and our ability lock down the targets given minimal scrams/webs fitted (my active choice given I wanted more damps in fleet). I'm just not convinced the time/benefit opportunity cost of taking out those targets was worthwhile. Please don't imagine the thought didn't cross my mind. It was a judgment call, and I actively chose not to pursue that strategy for all the reasons I've laid out. Open to opinions from others on this though!

I've already conceded that sliding the medium was an error here so don't really see any reason to continue that debate.

Doctrine as I say will let the people who designed it comment on its effectivenes, but we collectively elected to go with BLAP for the numbers, the easy Alpha participation, the enhanced SRP, and the Uni's (not just my own) overall familiarity with the doctrine given the number of BLAP fleets recently.

I completely agree (and already acknowledged) that there were more optimal doctrines for that fight (I already mentioned Thoraxes), but not knowing what we were up against in advance (so flexibility was an important consideration), plus the considerations noted above mean I dont second guess that decision at all. I believe we made the best call given the information and capabilities we had.
Last edited by Breeze One on 2017.05.17 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Adrien Claremont
Title: Campus Manager (NSC), FCC Staff, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Adrien Claremont »

The idea for the smartbombing Vexor, as I imagine it's raising a few eyebrows by now, was stolen from the Tweetfleet doctrine which uses a smartbombing Celestis in an anti-drone role. As one of the constraints was no dedicated EWAR ships, we couldn't simply use the Tweetfleet Celestis even though it would have fit into the fleet quite nicely. As Breeze mentioned, Cookie had specifically asked if they could bring ECM drones. It only seemed appropriate that we factor that into our fleet comp.

As to how effective it was, within the first fight I did not get a chance to use the smartbombs as the Cookie DD were on top of our logi by the time they deployed their drones against our logi, which subsequently meant that I would have taken out our own drones too. For the second fight however, they applied their drones to Max relatively early and I was able to clear them away without any hassle at all. From the post fight debrief, I believe this took a lot of pressure both off the logi wing as a whole, but also directly off Max who was the logi FC.

What happened after that was just me being silly. I started to take gate guns (presumably because some of the Cookie fleet were not flashy to me and therefore I became flashy after hitting their drones?) so I bounced off grid. As I was in warp, I heard logi also being called to bounce so I stayed at the celestial I was at, expecting DD to bounce too. Not long after, Breeze called for points to be spread to keep the remaining Cookie guys on grid which lead me to believe we'd won the field so I came back to help clean up. What I hadn't realised was that the kitey gang was third partying. Whelp.

An additional point I'd like to add was initially I was going to be the logi drone bunny, to take some pressure off our newbros and allow them to focus on their main job. Our logi also had ECM drones which it wasn't until we'd undocked that we realised that you couldn't assign to a bunny. That said, in the initial practice, I believe it may have worked for any ECM drones that were included in a mix group (I think it was Decklin that had the mixed drones?) but don't quote me on that. Potentially if logi therefore carried 3x Hornet EC-300s and 1x Warrior, they could still be assigned to a bunny? I'm hoping someone knows the answer, if not we can test it at some other point.
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

As to the doctrine, and numbers in fleet, I think it's worth pointing out just how many Newbros we had. ( When people x'd up at the start I think there were between 8-10 who were in their first couple of PvP fleets. I don't remember how many of those were in the doctrine ships, but there were some, particularly Logi, which was offered double SRP).

At the risk of my assumption being proven wrong, I suspect that several of those pilots wouldn't have the skill points or isk to fly a non-BLAP doctrine, so the reasoning stands in terms of choosing a BLAP doctrine to help get numbers for a cruiser fleet.

In terms of choosing between Caracals and Vexors, we did have a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of each, and ultimately chose the Vexors based on having greater flexibility in mid slots, and ability to field ewar, compared to the Caracals. The arranged fight restricted our options of dedicated ewar ships, so we opted to use un-bonused ewar on the Vexors in an attempt to gain better control over the fight. The trade off here obviously is speed, volley damage, and a greater ability to select damage types, Vs higher tank, higher sustained DPS, and greater control in the form of scrams, webs, points, and damps. At the end of the day, we still were pretty similar numbers of DPS cruisers, compared to Holy Cookie ( they had 10 Moas and 5 Ospreys Vs our 11 Vexors, 1 Maller, and 10 Augorors. I highly doubt changing the doctrine would have improved the kill/loss ratio for us there. Hopefully the reasoning behind why we chose it is at least useful from a learning perspective. I'm open to additional thoughts about choosing a different doctrine, particularly about the trade offs involved.

For myself, the biggest mistake I made in the first fight was spending an eternity looking for the targets to lock, instead of knowing the danger of the command destroyers, and getting a scram on one. In future fights against command destroyers I'll be sure to call for scrams on them ASAP.

As to my 'interlude' loss..
I knew the fleet was a few jumps away in Vexors, and went for tackle on the Firetail anyway. The mistake I made was relying on a defensive scram to keep him away from me, instead of simply keeping higher distance between us. I manually piloted, keeping him around 15km range, trying to make sure he didn't pull range during a change of direction to escape. Meanwhile I had my scram pre-heated to give it a range of 9.8 km. I kept spamming it, so that if the Firetail got close, I would turn off his MWD, allowing me to coast out. Unfortunately, i messed up my piloting, and didn't keep enough speed up. At one point when I was changing direction, he got close enough to web me. Although I did scram him and pull away, he was able to keep his web (13km heated range) on me, reactivate his own MWD, and pull closer to get his own scram on me. A better choice would have been for me to simply stay further away, around 18-20 km, and risk him escaping, rather than risk losing my ship *and* him escaping.
Breeze One

Post by Breeze One »

Jeez was that really our fleet comp Decklin? I thought we had a few more DPS to be honest (14/15) but even if we did, I should have tried to rebalance that ratio of DPS to Logi a bit. I checked Fleet comp ahead of undocking (and I "think" we didn't have that ratio then) but I know some guys joined us in Stacmon while we practiced. I really should have checked again before we left.

When you put it there, and as you say, allowing for the number of brand new players we had in Fleet, I'm suddenly not surprised we struggled to break their 5 Logi after we got boosted off.

Add that to my error list...

EDIT: Revieiwng Laser's POV video (soon to be uploaded I think!) there were only 8 Logi in the Logi channel for what it's worth? As I say, probably still an oversight from me though.
Decklin Quark Reiger
Title: LSC Combat Officer, Fittings staff, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Decklin Quark Reiger »

I might be off slightly, but from memory of how many people we had in the second DPS squad, it was only a couple. Possibly there were more Vexors in other squads that I didn't notice. My intent was really just to show that we needed the numbers, and choosing a BLAP doctrine helps to get numbers.

Anyway, like Rezda said, you did a LOT of things really well. The advance prep was solid, including intel gathering, logistical work, reaching out to others to help plan and get extra logi pilots, giving clear calm, decisive direction to the fleet, etc..

As you mentioned yesterday in comms, you're definitely a try-hard ( I can relate ) but don't let that stop you from recognising what you did well, and enjoying yourself, like Rezda said :)

Looking forward to flying with you again!

Edit: spelling. Grr auto-complete.
Maximus Hert
Title: Sophomore

Post by Maximus Hert »

So much has already been said.

I really like the idea of a drone killer platform. when it can be sparred. I feel it was very effective
In the 2nd fight. There are many occasions in thePast when we could have used one.

After watching lasers video of fleet I came to 2 conclusions:
1 I really don't like the sound of my voice.
2 I need to communicate more with my logi wing.

Having only flown in 2 or 3 "large" fleets and all of them I was LC in, I can only try to improve on what I know. I would like to have a sit down discussion with other more experienced logi commanders to discuss how it's done right. Possibly just take a normal logi role in one of there fleets.

One of our new logi mentioned calling logi targets like DD. I have never done this and have no practice. I think it may be an effective tactic. But having never seen it done in person or in video I don't know what the best way to do this would be. I do know some changes to mumble would be needed.

All in all this was a very fun fleet with lots of new thing learned.

Posted from mobile
Eddit from mibile
Eddie Dante

Post by Eddie Dante »

Fun fleet! Second time flying logi for me. The problem for me, and probably other logi's too, is getting experienced in the actual fights themselves. In a fleet we spend 1h55mins practicing fleetmovement and capchains. The other 5mins is the actual big fight where you suddenly have to do everything at once: maneuvring, maintaining capchain, locking/unlocking, rep management, overheating etc etc. And unlike dps roles, you dont get to practice it solo or in small gang. In hindsight I really regret not recording the fight for some evaluation. That said, those 5mins are superfun though ;)

To improve:
During 1st fight logi couldve reloaded targetting scripts when we got booshed. Did it myself, I should have mentioned it on comms probably?
During the 2nd fight, at one point someone on mumble said logi to bounce, as Decklin described a few posts above me. I felt i warped off unnescessary there since the fighting continued some more and it seemed we were coming out on top (from what i gathered on comms). Also i was about to warp back when FC called for the whole fleet to scatter. Some info on what happened there and how i shouldve handled it would be appreciated.