[AAR] Thrashing Up the Neighbourhood 29.march.23

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Calus Valmont

[AAR] Thrashing Up the Neighbourhood 29.march.23

Post by Calus Valmont »

Roam members (8)
Spoiler
Berkhe Boynukara - Thrasher
Calus Valmont - Thrasher [FC]
Jalxan - Thrasher, Osprey Navy Issue [2IC]
Petrovski Valenko - Thrasher
Riak Melkan - Thrasher
Saani Otoe - Thrasher [Scout]
Yokota Kimiko - Thrasher
Zee Cesaille - Thrasher
We're forming up for the last planned Thrashing Up the Neighbourhood roam to use the rest of the ships we ordered. Formup is smooth, a few people who are new to fleets, so we take our time explaining mechanics and techniques, as well as the engagement profile of this particular fleet composition. We end up undocking on time with a group of 8 thrashers with Saani agreeing to scout for us and Jalxan agreeing to 2IC.

During the fleet Jalxan upships into an Osprey Navy Issue to be able to catch smaller targets and protect us from fast moving compositions.

Kills and Losses

(20:43:01) Eugales
Magus +181.48m
Not long after entering Eugales we encounter a flashy Magus on the gate. It engages against us and we show it some high velocity pebbles in response.

(20:46:57) Eugales
Thrasher -10.34m
We find another group of interesting targets with a Vedmak, an Exequror Navy Issue, and a Malediction. Any of these targets seem interesting for us but they are all at range. Since we will be unable to catch up to them I decide to warp the fleet away to a safe, but our scout pays the price with his life.

(20:59:10) Aubenall
Thrasher -5.28m
Outside a plex in Aubenall we discover a Loki and a Wolf. We warp in and try to primary the Wolf, but they are all able to pull range on us. We take another loss in the confusion before I am able to warp the fleet out.

(21:05:18) Aubenall
Thrasher -10.85m
Jalxan has taken on +1 role and we find two thrashers inside of a plex. We decide to pick the fight, but it takes the fleet too long to land on grind. The two thrashers shows Jalxan the efficiency of hyper velocity pebbles, before they warp out right as the fleet warps in.

(21:10:29) Aubenall
Algos +7.97m
Punisher +5.4m
We notice a cormorant navy issue, an algos, and a punisher in a plex. I decide to have the fleet warp in on it, and initially we start chasing the cormorant navy issue outside of the plex, but I get a sense that it is kiting and will be trying to alpha us down with volleys. Instead I have the fleet punch in on the plex and we kill and Algos and a Punisher inside.

(21:26:12) Aubenall
Vexor Navy Issue +324.19m
As we're sitting inside of a medium plex a blinged out Vexor Navy Issue decides it wants to take us on. It really does not work out in its favour and a number of high velocity pebbles later the Vexor Navy Issue finds itself destroyed. I did ask for the wreck to be looted, but I did not specify who was going to loot it, so we discover later when we see how blinged out it was that nobody actually took the time to loot the wreck. It was an expensive lesson.

(21:27:55) Aubenall
Thrasher -5.86m
We decide to have a thrasher refit into a warp disruptor to be able to catch targets further away, but on the undock he is aggressed by a wolf. The fleet warps in but are unable to catch up in time to grab the wolf. Another thrasher is lost.

At this point we have dropped a fair bit of numbers and people are getting battle weary, so we decide to start turning our fleet back home. Along the way we pick a fight against some imperial navy slicers but they de-agress fast enough to make it out with their lives. As Jalxan had upshipped into an Osprey Navy Issue I am also taking extra care not to take unnecessary losses on the way back, so I decide to +1 the fleet back home myself.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 519,036,322.26
ISK Lost: 32,346,399.18
ISK Delta: 486,689,923.08
Efficiency: 94.134%

Overall evaluation

(Positive stuff)
  • Once again we are using this fleet for what it's good at, we're shooting upwards and taking risky fights to gain more than we lose.
  • We are again able to get out quickly once we notice that the fight will not go in our favour, taking minimal losses along the way.
  • Nobody dies to gate guns or triglavians, so FC may have explained the mechanics well enough.
(Negative stuff)
  • Quite a few times we found ourselves missing having a warp disruptor in the fleet.
  • The FC modified his ship with more tank to not get alphaed off the field, but found himself missing having a scram quite often.
  • FC needs to make someone specific directly responsible of looting, instead of asking "someone" to do it.
Jalxan
Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Re: [AAR] Thrashing Up the Neighbourhood 29.march.23

Post by Jalxan »

It was an excellent fleet! :) To add to the Warp Disruptor issue, I would suggest that future Fleet Support Program fits have all the T1 fits have Warp Disruptor II's; that way it will be easy for both fleet formation and your own sanity to know who has what type of tackle installed; you would immediately know that the T1 pilots would have a Warp Disruptor, and the T2 pilots have scram. You could even go as far as to have the T1's in one squad, and T2's in another so you can see who has what with a glance. I think we could have killed a few more if we landed on the gated sites with that wonderful 24km range. :D

Regardless, VERY well done! o7
Saani Otoe

Post by Saani Otoe »

Great work on completing your doctrine tour with GCDs! In addition to them being wildly successful, they also generated a lot of lively discussion, which I love. I think those of us out in space on these roams have formed some strong opinions on the doctrine and its application re: lowsec FW mechanics. Like Jalxan mentioned above, there are certainly some changes to EWAR that the doctrine needs as a lowsec option--and that shouldn't be seen as a challenge to the existing doctrine and its applications in other areas of space.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to joining you on your next doctrine tour!
Calus Valmont

Post by Calus Valmont »

Thank you Saani and Jalxan for the nice feedback :) I do feel that we either need to be flexible with the current doctrine to make it applicable to FW, or create a FW destroyer roam doctrine that will be very similar to the GCD doctrine. The fleets did very well at what we wanted them to do, and had we been in faction war those would have been a lot of faction war complexes and a lot of system control we would have secured.