[AAR] Teran Feynoir's Horde Dorée @Lowsec - 26 Mar 2023

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Teran Feynoir

[AAR] Teran Feynoir's Horde Dorée @Lowsec - 26 Mar 2023

Post by Teran Feynoir »

AAR La horde dorée - Roam in Lowsec

DATE: Saturday 25 February - 19:55 to 22:55
DURATION: ~2,5 hours in space

FC: Teran Feynoir
2IC: Talianium Benim

Roam members (19)
Scouts:
Notvegantofu - Executioner, Punisher
Talianium Benim - Punisher, Executioner

Logi:
Beruang - Inquisitor
rednus7 - Inquisitor
Tomlin - Inquisitor
Iis Foolio - Inquisitor

DD:
Dex Cordell - Punisher
Fred Ricki - Punisher
Olov Starseed - Punisher
Ral Airuta - Punisher
Riak Melkan - Punisher
Rixxie Boo - Punisher
Sagan C Clarke - Punisher
Sauronn - Punisher
Sir Blackstone III - Punisher
Solidware - Punisher
Teange - Punisher
Teran Feynoir - Punisher
Yokota Kimiko - Punisher
After a smooth form-up started at 19:55, the fleet left on time around 20:20.
Talianium Benim wrote: so no trig systems lol
Indeed, we had a lot of people with no positive standings with the Triglavians. It didn't create any issue as we adapted the itinerary to avoid the Trig' systems in the warzone. But I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage any newbros reading those lines to make a quick in and out in Pochven to gain standings with the Trig' and make their journeys through New Eden a bit safer. There's regularly some dedicated fleet organised for that (I know Zolpidemz do some of them) and alternatively you can join a Pochven roaming fleet (like those of Cryptic or Yuri) that usually start by making everyone positive with the Trigs'.

(20:38:01) Heydieles
Executioner -1.55m

We had our first fight opportunity in the Gallente FW HQ: Heydieles. It went sour fast, scout died before the fleet landed and the Cata' warped off before we can have a scram on it.

Here mistakes were made, first and foremost FC was a bit confused on where the scout was, we were just talking about moving to the next system before the opportunity presented itself. So FC warped the fleet to Abune gate instead of the plexe were our scout was landing, giving us too little time to turn back to save our scout and tackle the opposing destroyer.

The Catalyst is a Frigate destroyer and our executioner is really squishy, so with hindsight, I should have confirmed with Notvegantofu its location and make sure the fleet was pre-aligned before sending him to his death to avoid any confusion and secure the kill.

Since we lost our scout and our reships opportunities were relatively far from the fleet, we decided to swap ship in space to let Talianium that was in a web punisher manned the scram fit punisher of FC and act as the de facto scout of the fleet. Meanwhile Notvegantofu was reshipping in Stacmon.
Talianium Benim wrote: Just gave fc a punisher with 2 kill marks lol
Talianium, don't worry, your punisher is safe and sound in the Quad, we can swap again whenever you want.

(21:02:47) Abune
Executioner -2.44m

Notvegantofu reached us in Abune with a shiny new executionner and try to get tackle on an Arbitrator but once again we were too slow to land on grid with him to secure the kill.

So Talanium took again the scout position and I encouraged Notvegantofu to reship in a Punisher to join the DD squad to chill a bit but also because at this point of the fleet I was thinking the newbro version of our tackle to be too skishy to keep point long enough for our slow punisher to catch up so even if it was not the most efficient solution, the tankier Punisher with it's scram became our main tackle for a while.

Soon after, our newly appointed scout found a Rifter a bit far off from the beacon and start to burn to get tackle while the rest of the fleet was in warp. The fight was a bit confusing, another rifter landed on grid so we switched primary but didn't get scram fast enough.

Meanwhile, Talianium successively catch up with the other rifter and bring it down solo.

Rifter +10.94m
Talianium Benim wrote: didnt need the fleet lol
As we were engaged in the fight, Notvegantofu, definitely not lucky tonight, fell to a solo gate camp on its way back to us.

(21:20:20) Indregulle
Punisher -5.36m

Everyone being well aware of our presence in Abune we went ahead to Oinasiken to get more fights.

(21:16:14) Oinasiken

We spent a lot of time in there playing hide and seek with a few militia's soldiers and another roaming fleet.

Notably we tried twice to go after a Cynnabal that was plexing without ever being able to get closer than 25km from him, he didn't even bothered to warped off the plex.
We also took a bait (I cant' remember which frigate we were going after) and saw a Vedmak and a few other kitty ships going after us but successfully avoid them by sliding the gate of a plexe they couldn't enter in.

After a few other tentatives we finally got our first kill as a fleet !

(21:26:27) Oinasiken
Kestrel +4.27m
Rixxie Boo wrote: persistance pays off!
(21:28:46) Nisuwa

We then took a short break in Nisuwa top station that allowed Notvegantofu to join us again.

(21:41:28) Kedama
Rixxie Boo wrote: moa on g
Back to roaming, we were chased a bit by a duo Caracal/Moa. I choose to not take the fight as I was afraid the Caracal was RLML fit and didn't really remembered the capabilities of the Moa.
Now that I think about it again, we probably should have gave it a try. We had numbers and if they engaged us on gate we would have the gate guns on our side so I think we would have came out on top and at worst got some content.
I should have at least wait on that last gate they followed us on to see if they would engage.

(21:49:18) Sujarento
Lou Mir wrote: ze blob is real, when u see punsiher sliding you know he has friends, thats why said pull range
In Sujarento we didn't had more luck catching anything, again too slow and too obviously blobby to not spook everyone.

(22:05:27) Deven

When we finally reached Deven, decision was taken to whelp the fleet as soon as a good fight opportunity will present itself.

Hence why we warped to a medium complexe with an OsNI and a bunch of faction frig' to get some nice kills.
Even though we didn't succeed, it was, at least for the FC, a good learning experience.

It went down in two steps:

First engagement:

During our first try we landed on grid with everything and got some losses. The kestrel kill is mostly the work of the other side in the fight.

Executioner -5.36m
Punisher -5.35m
Punisher -6.07m
Kestrel +2.29m
Capsule -0.01m

I made the assumption when I warped everyone that all of the ships in the plexe were on the same side, that was my rookie mistake. We were in fact a third party to an ongoing fight. Had I realised this sooner I may have switched primary faster to get us on some KM.

Everything on-grid was faster than us and it took me some time to read the grid. As the Coercer and the Comets were struggling against the OsNI they switched to us and I decided to scatter the fleet to cut our losses.

Second engagement:

The fleet converged on FC in a safe outside of D-Scan range. My idea here was to let them think we scattered away and gave up, wait a bit to let the fight come to an end and let the winner come back closer to the beacon to capture the plex and be closer for us to catch him.
That winner, whoever it was would have been blind to us but the contrary was true too. It may have been wise to let on scout closer to monitor the ongoing fight.

When we finally went back there, the OsNI was still inside to capture the plexe.
Nuke Blast wrote: well held IVY logi bros :)
Here, even though we didn't got the kill, I'm still happy of how it went we didn't suffer any loss and I got to try a few news thing and practice my grid reading. We played cat and mouse with the OsNI for while, I tried for the first time to manual pilot while the fleet was anchored on me and we came below 15km a few time but never managed to land a scram on him. He tried to go after our logi', that did a great job keeping all of us alive, but had to retreat as he was getting too close to our main line.

We exchanged GF in local and moved on with the roam.

(22:27:32) Sujarento
Talianium Benim wrote: yeah looks like its not gonna be possible to come back from tama, that gatecamp still going strong
We tried to crash a gate camp between Tama and Sujarento but spooked them out of range, and also gave a last try on a target of opportunity during our way back to Stacmon without being able to catch it.

(22:55:49) Stacmon

And we finally made it back home and went our separate way after a short debrief.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 17,490,284.43
ISK Lost: 26,138,118.75
ISK Delta: -8,647,834.32
Efficiency: 40.089%
Overall evaluation

This fleet was not a great success efficiency-wise and was slow-paced for the most part, but for FC it was a great leaning opportunity as I had the opportunity to try things, had to adapt a few times and make some mistakes that are some good experience for future FC'ing.
I do hope that everyone still enjoyed the fleet and came back more knowledgable to Stacmon

Before going into the details let's start by some shoot-out, I want to thanks Ral Airuta, Rixxie Boo, Teange and Sauronn, all Newbro/Returning player/First-time PVP-er for trusting me and doing great in following my commands. I hope to see you again in future fleet.

I also want to thanks Notvegantofu who was scouting for its second time only and sadly was not really lucky last night. Thank you for not loosing your enthusiasm and for being brave enough to assume one, if not the most difficult role in the fleet despite being fairly new to this.
The same goes for Talianium Benim that had to assume the role on the spot in a ship not really adapted to that and still got us some kills :D
To stay a bit longer on the scouting side, thank you Beruang for being so quick at pinpointing and broadcast targets whenever we were sitting still despite flying logi' for the fleet.

And that's a great transition to thanks our logi' squad as a whole, you guy not only make those roam sustainable but you all did a really great job last night and were even congratulated by our targets 8)

Moreover, I want to thank you all, we may not had many kills but you all did great with the hands we had :D

The positive
  • The form-up was really smooth, learning from past experience I tried to sort ships and roles on the go instead of waiting for everyone to show-up. We had time to do the newbro speech and to still leave earlier than planned.
  • We had some flexibility on the reships and even swapped ships in-space to the surprise of some of the fleet members. The Production Department allowing us to have reship inside the warzone itself is a great QoL improvement for the roam. For next fleet I will probably rely even more on their great work to have ships available both in Tama and Heydieles to fasten even more the process by having ships on both side of the main frontlines.
  • During this fleet I had the opportunity to read some more complex grids, with third-party and so on, but also to try and adapt our modus operandi in different engagement profile. It was not always a success, but it's a great for improving my game.

The negative
  • We really struggled to catch anything. FW mechanics have some consequences on how we conduct the roam, as we almost never have the positioning advantage the key to secure fight is that the scout can sustain enemy fire long enough for us to catch on. There's two main element to that, the first being the ships itself. Overall, the Punishers are flown similarly to the Merlin but are slower, which add to the fact that amor RR is delayed at the end of the cycle and the executioner less agile than the Condor. So I'd say that in FW context, the Merlin fleet is superior.
    But the other important thing is on the FC shoulders, to not spook our targets when flying a blob like that, FC really need to be cautious on timing. We need to be in system fast enough to reach the scout but as late as possible in Local and on D-Scan so that the target don't start to warp-off before the scout even land on grid. I have room for improvement here.
    I didn't thought about it yesterday, but an another strategy would have been to create a Vanguard squad of 2/3 Punishers and make them sit in a plexe as bait while the rest of the fleet was waiting next door. I usually don't like that as I prefer faster paced fleet, but since we couldn't catch anything it may have been worth to try to let targets come to us.
  • Another negative point that was less of an issue in my previous fleet was my general clumsiness with the UI. I was not always on top of my game, especially with time passing, and I warped myself instead of the fleet a few time. Also warped us at 10 to a gate and so on. But I'm not so worried about that, it's an issue that will resolve itself with time and more fleets.
Graduate
ImageImageImage
Sauronn

Re: [AAR] Teran Feynoir's Horde Dorée @Lowsec - 26 Mar 2023

Post by Sauronn »

Thanks again for the fleet, i enjoyed it even though it was slim pickings and was a good pvp exp for me. Im low on time due to family/work/studying commitments but I'll defo try to join again this weekend :)
Talianium Benim

Re: [AAR] Teran Feynoir's Horde Dorée @Lowsec - 26 Mar 2023

Post by Talianium Benim »

That is pretty cool that it notifies people when copying messages from eve chat. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever end writing an AAR