[AAR][Stacmon] 2022.08.03 Weekly Merlin Low Sec Roam

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Professor Academiac
Title: Ensign, Not actually a professor, Teacher, Graduate

[AAR][Stacmon] 2022.08.03 Weekly Merlin Low Sec Roam

Post by Professor Academiac »

:!: This is a weekly very newbro friendly and educational fleet. Join us every Wednesday. Please check the in-game calendar for the exact time, you can also find more info about this fleet in this forum

:!: I also host a relevant class every week right before this fleet. If you're interested, please check the in-game calendar or this forum for more info

Roam members (11)
Spoiler
Bbey de Massiac - Burst
Ben Lear - Burst
Flamen Dialis Diespiter - Merlin
GentleReject - Merlin
George Platten - Burst
Olly Wakwako - Slasher x2 & Punisher
Philip Nebail - Merlin
Professor Academiac - Merlin
Taragon Shi - Merlin
William Blackford - Merlin
solidrat - Merlin
MVPs
Spoiler
Olly Wakwako - Great job scouting
Flamen Dialis Diespiter - Great job in Vanguard
Ben Lear - Great job in Vanguard
GentleReject - Stepping Up to 2IC
Philip Nebail - Best Singing Voice for his hit single "The Lemming Song" :headbang:

Clarytiz - Not with us in the fleet, but with us in spirit. Thanks for introducing me to the Slasher, and for having some ready in Stacmon
Yuri Levnik - Not with us in the fleet, but with us in spirit. Thanks for the reshipping options in Nourvukaiken
& last but not least of course
Spoiler
GIF of the day
Spoiler

Kills and Losses
Good turnout. We had 4 new players, this was their first PvP fleet and also their first kill & loss mails :OHMAHGAWD!:

After the "new pilot orientation," we started hunting. A few targets eluded our scout, but we eventually found this Jag. Unfortunately, Olly died before we got to him.

(00:14:44) Ouelletta
Slasher -1.4m

Someone suggested that a Jag was very tough for our Slasher, which is absolutely right. I mentioned that the plex was only 3 AU away so I thought we could get to it in time, especially since we jumped our gate as our scout slid his. Evidently, it wasn't enough. So I formed a vanguard: our scout reshipped in another Slasher + 1 Logi + 1 Merlin. We used that a couple of times successfully, but I honestly don't remember in which fights exactly.

Anyways we kept hunting.

(00:26:35) Melmaniel
Caracal +26.33m

Kudos to Olly & the Vanguard for the next one. The Worm tried to kite but they did a great job getting in range of it and scram/web it down for us. There was another Condor, but I asked everyone to prioritize the Worm. In hindsight, someone had already called tackle on the Condor, so I should've let him stay on it, but I didn't want to split him away from the fleet & logi since it was a bit far (~40 km if I recall). Not the best decision but meh, we got the juicy Worm.

(00:44:18) Indregulle
Worm +156.76m

(01:01:32) Abune
Atron +2.1m

I remember calling the Vanguard for this one since Incursi could be deadly, especially if dual rep fit. It still got the Slasher before the rest of our logi made it.

(01:16:17) Tama
Slasher -1.45m
Incursus +10.72m

A note on Logistics: Olly reshipped in Nourvukaiken! I remember asking for reships in Tama and the Production Dept. delivered, I appreciated that a lot. Now with Space Detroit gone, I think it's just safer for us to have stuff in Nourvukaiken. Suspect & Criminal timers shouldn't be prob if you dock up in a capsule. Alternatively, one of the NPC stations in Heydieles could do. Anyways, Thanks Yuri? & Production Dept. & everyone for putting ships in Nourvukaiken! It really helps us get back to the fun quickly!

Heydieles & OMS were surprisingly busier than Tama. We found a couple of fleets that, unfortunately, we couldn't handle. One was a Caracal fleet, another was a T2 cruiser fleet (if I remember correctly), and finally, a Kestrel fleet that outnumbered us like 3:1. I really want to fight fleets and get that exposure but I knew we couldn't handle any of those. So we avoided them and kept hunting.

The fleets were in local but I thought we'd hunt anyways. We found an Algos or something in a Medium in OMS. It was outside and warped off before Olly could land tackle. We got on grid as it warped off. It was near the end of the fleet so I thought, maybe we go in and brawl the Kestrels if they come to us, nab a few before they kite, and see what happens. Good plan I think. So I told everyone to take the gate.

And lo and behold, the Caracal fleet was already inside lol. I don't know if Olly reported that when he DScanned the Algos or not, but regardless we definitely should have short DScanned it before sliding. I thought let's yolo & fight anyways. I melted instantly & as I was about to warp off and call Gentle to 2IC, the Kestrel fleet slid in as well! I called scatter, and we only lost 3 ships. Not sure if a 3 way was viable here, I honestly should have let Gentle make that decision and give it a shot. Sorry I jumped the gun Gentle!

(01:39:32) Old Man Star
Merlin -13.27m
Merlin -6.37m
Burst -0.94m
Caracal +26.22m

We debriefed as we made best speed home. It was a great discussion with a lot of feedback, which I always appreciate! So thanks, everyone.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 222,129,972.58
ISK Lost: 23,427,858.42
ISK Delta: 198,702,114.16
Efficiency: 90.459%

Overall evaluation

(Positive stuff)
  • Formup was quick a efftive
  • Honest & live feedback from fleet members helped me modify our strategy on the fly
  • Having a Vanguard ready worked great & helped us secure a few more kills when the need arose
  • Despite my preference to open up important roles for new players to try, I think having a more experienced scout is better for the entire fleet from the educational & fun perspectives. It helps deliver content that exposes the newbies to the PvP aspect more quickly and frequently. Also, listening to comms, how scout relays intel, how the FC reacts, etc. is a learning opportunity in and of itself. And I got a chance to explain other mechanics, like gate guns & sec status & FW plexes, instead of just spending most time focusing on explaining how to scout, DScan, relay intel, and tackle
(Negative stuff)
  • FC is a scrub who marks himself exempt from warps and forgets to align then sits there all confused :lol:
  • I should be more aware of how the scout would fare solo for a while against tough targets
  • Always double-check a plex before sliding the gate
  • I should have given Gentle (2IC) a chance to make a call in that last fight. Even if it was a wrong call, it's part of his learning experience and what this fleet is all about. Once again, sorry mate!
:?: Questions? Feedback? Suggestions? Please post them here
Join me every Wednesday for a beginner Core Class followed by a beginner PvP Fleet
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Teacher • Mentor • Junior FC
Clarityz

Re: [AAR][Stacmon] 2022.08.03 Weekly Merlin Low Sec Roam

Post by Clarityz »

Thanks for the shout-out! This one was a bit too late for me.

Of course we love newer players scouting, but it's a mixed bag for everyone else's experience. I'd highly recommend getting one experienced scout if possible, and then another (or even two, as I did the wednesday prior) so you can throw them at stuff and give everyone some experience without feeling the pressure of the whole fleet relying on them. (even though this isn't actually true, it sure feels that way)

It does make FCing a bit more taxing, keeping track of more people. But you could delegate that a bit and have the 2IC send scout 2 and 3 places, for example.

Good to see you back on Merlins Professor! Looked like you had a great outing.
Professor Academiac
Title: Ensign, Not actually a professor, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Professor Academiac »

Great ideas! I'll try that.

I tried to maintain that sweet spot between EU & US TZs but it was too early & I found myself canceling frequently due to work and stuff which is very unfortunate
Join me every Wednesday for a beginner Core Class followed by a beginner PvP Fleet
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Teacher • Mentor • Junior FC
Bbey de Massiac

Post by Bbey de Massiac »

That was my first time as Logi in a pvp oriented stuff.

Well. That was cool ! When I proposed the first vanguard, after our tackle died the first time, it was exciting to go first. I didn't vanguard after that one, but coming back late and healing tackle is kinda coooool.
I think we did three vanguard, 1 each, with one failed because alpha was high. The only stuff I have difficulties with is having drone on target. For those kind of small stuff, the time to MWD to tackle, lock on other logi and tackle, getting drones out, the guy almost dead or is. Brrrrew, not even in the MVPs :(

Next time, I'll do Logic Merlin again I think :D
Also, with three logi as we've got there, with overpowered force against a solo guy, might be useful to train logi to get the links (here shield link instead of cap obviously), just to train it before going in bigger fights/cruiser.

For the last Plex we did, well. Bad luck. Caracal fleet landed just when we slided. And loads of kestrel as well. We should have scatter as soon as we landed, as we didn't get any chance. But well, we got the juicy kill at the beginning, that's all that matters :D

See you next time :-)