[AAR] Magic Merlin Low-sec Roam - Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 19:00EVE

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Hippla

[AAR] Magic Merlin Low-sec Roam - Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 19:00EVE

Post by Hippla »

[FLEET] Magic Merlin Low-sec Roam - Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 19:00EVE

Fleet size:
14 pilots of which
8 DPS - Merlins
4 Logi - Bursts
2 Scouts - Slashers

I had jumped in as FC for the Merlin fleet that Elan Vital had organised, as Elan was not available. I am a bit rusty with leading fleets, particularly in Low-Sec and Frigate fleets. But it was nice getting back into it.

We gathered in Stacmon and I did an elaborate introduction including:
  • Introduction to the idea behind the fleet
  • Explanation of the Merlin doctrine - we took some time to go a little through fittings as well to get a better understanding on how the doctrine works in practice
  • General fleet commands + watchlist + Logi intro
  • Broadcasting
We departed as planned at around 19.30

Our head-scout Clarityz quickly found a seemingly afk Tristan in a Faction Warfare Complex (plex) just one jump from Stacmon. Perfect first combat training! We let everyone apply their Ewar modules and got our first successful kill
Tristan
+4,515,746.14 ISK

After a successful start, we decided to head right for Tama and look for content on the way.

In Indregulle, Clarityz found a Cormorant and engaged tackle. Unfortunately, the Corm made quicker work of our tackle than the time needed for our fleet to arrive in the Plex. But Clarityz reshipped and we moved on!
Slasher
- 11,324,916.00 ISK

On the way to Tama, a Stiletto and Loki kept chasing us for a few systems. While not a direct threat, the Loki kept their safe distance at 50km from us. I decided to "tank" the Loki for a bit and make the fleet be comfortable being on grid while being shot, yet not attempting to hunt them down. We attempted in one case to Alpha the Stiletto, who was sitting at 0 with us on the gate. But as expected, they simply jumped the moment we aggressed. It was a nice little practice for the fleet to look at the distances and understand the situation. A few jumps later they gave up the pursuit.

A bit further down the way to Tama, we encountered a flashy gang in Nagamanen. Composition was something like NOsprey, Eris, Vedmak, Vagabond. Clarity was in gate cloak and we were on our out gate, ready to jump. Clarityz attempted to scram the Nosprey but it got off. I saw that the Eris was burning towards Clarityz instead of away from us so I made the call to go for the Eris. While tanky, he couldn't withstand our overwhelming Magic and went down. We almost managed to scram the Vedmak but all other targets were quickly out of range. Our Logi did an INCREDIBLE work keeping Clarityz and me alive. I cold-warped the fleet off grid and was the only one caught. Great trade and quickly reshipped!
Merlin
- 7,472,033.26 ISK

Eris
+ 126,659,094.96 ISK

At our last stop before Tama, Clarityz found a Confessor. We tried to organise our 2nd scout T'Major to act as a Vanguard and to arrive shortly after Clarityz. Clarityz managed to get the intial scram and overheated his "hope" to survive! While the fleet was in warp, T'Major arrives on grid and manages to get secondary tackle on the Confessor only seconds before Clarityz goes down. Enough time for the fleet to arrive and say BYE BYE to the Confessor. Two hero tackles! Congrats to T'Major who scouted for the first time after what I believe to be 8 years. Good job snacking us that kill as Vanguard!
Slasher
-5,494,671.83 ISK
Confessor
+ 102,073,587.74 ISK

We continued to Tama and clarity reshipped a last time into a Merlin. Without a designated tackle, we just hung out in Tama, hoping for a fight. We tried a Kikimora that was hanging at 100km away from a Novice Plex. But he was too fast for us to catch. After around 20 minutes without content, I decided to fold the fleet. Thankfully Clarityz offered to bring people back to Stacmon :-)

Overall a really fun fleet with plenty of chatter about uneaten Donuts and other Shennanigans. Plenty of learning and good practice for me FCing in Low-Sec again. Thanks everyone who joined for the fleet #TeamDonut
Yuri Levnik

Re: [AAR] Magic Merlin Low-sec Roam - Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 19:00EVE

Post by Yuri Levnik »

Sounds like a great fleet! Glad y'all got to try out my Slasher fit and got some shiny kills.

If I can't find anyone in Tama after looking around for ten minutes or so, I will convo the locals and arrange a fight. The easiest approach is to copy/paste the list of pilots in local into dscan.info and then message every pilot from whatever corporation has the most players logged in. Aideron Robotics and Neurotoxin control have brought fights for me before, as have random solo players who shipped into something that could fight the whole fleet.

The only catch is that, while the Tama locals will downship, they generally fly t2 fits and their pilots have more SP and experience than most of ours,. As a result, I've never won any of these theoretically "fair" fights. I think fighting is fun and an excellent PVP learning opportunity so I don't mind losing, but if losing fights bothers you I wouldn't suggest arranging a fight with the locals.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"He's like a shark; a shark doesn't eat you because he hates you. He eats you because he's hungry and you're there." - Elihugh Beecher
Relettov

Post by Relettov »

Hippla wrote: 2022.06.20 00:18I cold-warped the fleet off grid and was the only one caught. Great trade and quickly reshipped!
Merlin
- 7,472,033.26 ISK
Not bad... a Merlin with 13.1k buffer :D
Relettov

Post by Relettov »

Thanks for the fleet!

That was a blast and I had tons of fun flying a logi for the first time.
Now I just need to remember my drones to sneak on KMs :P
Clarityz

Post by Clarityz »

Yuri Levnik wrote: 2022.06.20 09:17 Sounds like a great fleet! Glad y'all got to try out my Slasher fit and got some shiny kills.

If I can't find anyone in Tama after looking around for ten minutes or so, I will convo the locals and arrange a fight. The easiest approach is to copy/paste the list of pilots in local into dscan.info and then message every pilot from whatever corporation has the most players logged in. Aideron Robotics and Neurotoxin control have brought fights for me before, as have random solo players who shipped into something that could fight the whole fleet.
Great suggestion. Tama was relatively quiet, we did sit in an open PLEX for 10 minutes and asked for a fight in local, but just checking out what active corps are around and messaging people is a great idea.

I learned a lot from this fleet, as I always do. One day I'll remember my drugs.

Thanks to everyone who came, thanks to Hippla for FCing, even though he kept trying to trick me into doing it! Excellent job by T'Major and the logi of course! Hope everyone had fun!
Pasimus I Toifain

Post by Pasimus I Toifain »

Clarityz wrote: 2022.06.20 11:29
I learned a lot from this fleet, as I always do. One day I'll remember my drugs.
You mean your medicines? :wink:

Thanks to everyone in fleet, it was again fun to be involved.
And FC great job.
Korros Kolada

Post by Korros Kolada »

My first LS roam since returning to Eve, and a great fleet to return on. I flew as Burst Logi, but took a drone with me to try to land on some KMs. That worked for the first couple, but was lost on an unannounced fleet warp out of a 'plex (well after I should have recalled it). -1 Acolyte II =(

The AAR understates the level of "flirting" that went on with the Loki, Stiletto, and (IIRC) a Skybreaker? (pretty sure it was EDENCOM by the damage pattern anyway). We were actually aggressed several times just as we jumped a gate or entered fleet warp (visible by damage on the watch list). It was reported to the FC when people were able, but we were typically already moving away then; likely they were hoping to catch a straggler, but none of these attacks endangered the fleet.

Reps held better than I expected overall, but range was a constant issue, and using the MWD to keep up was hard on Cap. I've flown logi on many fleets at different levels of content, and this is probably the most challenging cap management I've ever had to deal with. Getting to the tackle before they went down was also a challenge; get there fast enough and the reps would save them, too late or far away and they were done. Fighting the flashy gang in Nagamanen, we were able to hold reps well at the start (they went straight for Hippla at first), but soon we had several fleet members taking damage, and pulling a rep off Hippla to help them just resulted in losing ground on him. Overheating reppers didn't help enough; they just overpowered us. I'm impressed Hippla got most of the fleet out rather than whelping us at that point; it looked like he might make it as we entered warp, but I saw him in his capsule soon after. Soooo close. =(

We also lost a Slasher (not listed in OP) going after that Kiki late in the roam when content was getting harder to find. https://zkillboard.com/kill/101599413/
Fit your rigs! It was a daring attempt, and he was at long range, so there was probably no saving him, but missing the extra tank didn't help. Good effort though. The fleet appreciates your sacrifice. =)

Looking forward to more LS roaming action (it's great cheap content), and sooner rather than later, I'm going to have to start learning to scout/tackle myself (something I haven't shown great skill at so far, but _really_ need to learn).

Full BR (to my best ability) https://br.evetools.org/br/62b37d1eaaa6bf0943eb399c
Lycoris Wahdiata

Post by Lycoris Wahdiata »

This really was a lot of fun! This was my second Magic Merlin experience and it never disappoints. That Confessor kill was a great moment, especially with the crucial tackles. I can't wait to go again!