[AAR] Nullbear Hunt @10-06-21

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Marek Holmberg

[AAR] Nullbear Hunt @10-06-21

Post by Marek Holmberg »

Roam members (10)
Spoiler
Admiral Janksy - Imperial Navy Slicer 8 days in the Uni and second Nullbear fleet, i love it! :D
Albedo183 - Wolf Backup Navigator and Scout to get us home
Hideo Date - Wolf Navigator and dedicated father :D
Johan IV Hilanen - Wolf 2IC and Navigator
Kimeemaru - Wolf
Marek Holmberg - Wolf FC
Mike Kingswell - Malediction Scout
Richard Heppovich - Imperial Navy Slicer
Sainaras Aishai - Wolf 3IC
eLx DeSaTo - Wolf First Nullbear Hunt and already rocking a Wolf :D
Kills and Losses

(19:04:34) Amasiree
Scout reported a lone Sunesis out in space on our way to the Drifter hole. I told him not to bother because trying to catch a Sunesis in LS is most often a waste of time. Scout went in to prove me wrong and he did. :D

Sunesis +14.64m

(20:04:00) UGR-J2
This was a tricky situation. Scout reported a Large bubble on the outgate of our entry system (S0). I Immediately forgot about that TBH.
One jump further (S1) he encountered a smartbombing Machariel on the outgate to UGR-J2 (S2), which he managed to tackle but not without catching a smartbomb volley, so while i had the fleet dive the hole and move into S1, Scout had to abandon the Machariel and jump the next gate into S2, where a Drecavak already greeted him on the ingate.
Meanwhile fleet was burning through the aforementioned Large bubble in S0, which didn't help us get to the Scout in a timely fashion. While we where moving to the S1 outgate into S2, the Machariel had warped out, but at least the Drekavac was jumping into us. Timing was off by 2 seconds so he got away as well, while the Scout was getting killed on the S2 ingate by a random Rifter. We jumped in to assist but could only manage to avenge the Scout. If all of this sounds a bit confusing and hectic, then let me assure you that it was even worse in the heat of the moment. Communication between FC and scout could have been better TBH. :D

With the Rifter dead, we had an Abaddon landing on grid with us, and my thought was "Yummy!" so we engaged it with confidence, first with half of our DPS while the rest held back to catch it on the other side of the gate if needed, once he agressed, we where all on him. A few seconds later a Broadsword landed but with the the Abaddon going nicely into Armor my thought was to kill the Abaddon and then leave. Hictor landing should probably have been more of a warning for me than it ended up being, but i was already tunneling heavily on the Abaddon. A few seconds later, 4 Cerberusses landed at 35km from us, while the Abaddon was beginning to catch up on reps. In hindsight, this should have been the moment to call off the engagement for sure and i can only blame my tunnel visoin for not calling to scatter, because 4 RLML Cerbs eat our Wolves for breakfast. We lost 2 Ships within 10-15s so i wisened up and called to scatter, 2 more Ships where lost in the retreat, myself included.

2IC was in command and now had the ungrateful job to get the remaining fleet back the hole safely through this response fleet which was quickly aided by a couple of Tengus. Safespots where created, the fleet bounce around a bit, Scout had reshipped and moved in to assist and then....the Mumble server died on us... :D

In the end, the remaining fleet made it out alive, great job all around! :D

Malediction -40.76m
Rifter +9.18m
Imperial Navy Slicer -26.57m
Imperial Navy Slicer -27.93m
Wolf -54.46m
Wolf -54.11m

(20:34:28) X1W-AL
So scout found in Ishtar in the entry system, tackled it with point&scram (because could have stabs) but then immediately gained range to speedtank it'S drones and ofc it was stabbed and got away.

2 jumps later he tackled another Ishtar, stayed close to it this time and died before we could get to him... :D

In hindsight, the second Ishtar that ended up killing him had a full flight of heavy drones out so could not have been stabbed, so pointing, oribting futher out and speedtanking the drones would have been preferable. But hindsight is 20/20 ;)

Malediction -40.72m

(21:05:26) ZOPZ-6
Drifters went full predator on us on our way out. :D

After we lost one Wolf, the remaining pilots ended up going back through Thera.

Wolf -56.48m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 23,823,047.1
ISK Lost: 301,038,351.34
ISK Delta: -277,215,304.24
Efficiency: 7.333%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
  • Fun was had :D
  • New people had to step up to new responsibilities and they did well! :)
    (Negative stuff)
  • Communication leading up to the Abaddon engagement could have been better.
  • Tunnelvision lead to deadly mistakes. The Hictor landing should have been a clear warning and RLML Cerbs even more. I usually know that well enough to never engage into them, so a clear mistake.
  • We (especially scouts) need to internalise the Warp-stab changes and what they mean for engagements. Ratter with full flight of Drones=no stabs, ratter with half flight=probably stabs. This has to become second nature to scouts so they act accordingly as soon as they land on grid.
  • We really could have used a bubbler and numbers permitting i will probably always use one from now on.
HSC Officer
Teaching Officer
Image Image
Image Image Image
Mike Kingswell
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Re: [AAR] Nullbear Hunt @10-06-21

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Yeah. Definatly fun, especially that engagement with the Mac/Aba/etc.
Bit of bad luck and some mistakes on my part in regards to holding down the Ishtars.
Teaching Manager
Image Image Image Image
Kimeemaru

Post by Kimeemaru »

Ishtars have 125Mbit/s bandwidth right? Does that not always allow them a full flight of heavies? It was touched upon during the fleet but I can’t remember what was said about why it can or can’t fly 5 heavies. Also I don’t fly drone boats.
Marek Holmberg

Post by Marek Holmberg »

Warp Core Stabs reduce the maximum bandwidth by 50% (when fitted)

So an Ishtar would only have 125x0,5=62,5, allowing for 2 heavy Drones+1 medium/2lights
HSC Officer
Teaching Officer
Image Image
Image Image Image
Kimeemaru

Post by Kimeemaru »

Thanks Marek! Makes total sense now.