[AAR] WHC pulls off a 10b bomb run!

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Vlye Annages

[AAR] WHC pulls off a 10b bomb run!

Post by Vlye Annages »

BR:
https://br.evetools.org/related/31002177/202105102200

I hopped on after WHC pinged bombers for a C5 subcap ratting fleet behind a crit hole. Fleet didn't have a FC at the time, and I was asked to call the gank. Having a decent number of bomber pilots that could launch bombs, I called for bombers to load shrapnel bombs and had scout create bookmarks for a bombing run.

We began to move down chain with our mainline bombers, a combat scanner, a ceptor (to break MJD spool), and a bubbler. We held a couple of systems out for a bit, going over bomb deployment mechanics and waiting for the target fleet to trigger the drifter. Scout continued to burn some (excellent) bookmarks.

Once the drifter was triggered, we headed to the destination system and got to work. Warped fleet to the bombing spot. We landed, decloaked, and pulled off a great bomb run. The bomb run took most targets into deep armor, and we finished them off with torps.

Video (sorry for the poor quality):
Spoiler
(Yes, I did launch my bomb into to middle of space. I am bad at EVE and it's a miracle anyone listens to me.)
If any members of the QRF would like the video removed for privacy reasons just reach out to me.

After we had gotten the entire fleet, I called for fleet to hold grid and loot. This resulted in a significant number of bomber losses that were easily avoided. It was suggested to leave grid, and the remaining fleet members warped off. Shortly after we left grid, a Thorax belonging to the same corp of our targets was spotted by our scout. We formed a quick AAF fleet to hold grid, and went back to looting. In this, half of fleet got rolled out. Luckily, the new static was connected directly to Thera so we took a few jumps and made it safely back to Innuendo.

Takeaways

Bombs, while not often used by WHC, proved quite useful. We deleted the entire ball of drones (including 2 Geckos!), which would have eaten the bombing fleet. We also bombed a anchoring mobile depot, which would have allowed the nestor to refit to MJD.

I made significant mistakes in my target calling priority. Proper priority in this case would have been Nestor (allows ships to refit.) -> Leshaks (main DPS) -> Eos (Quite tanky, minimal DPS). If the targets were on point with refitting off the Nestor to MJD, I don't know if we would have gotten the entire fleet.

I also made a mistake in calling for fleet to hold grid while the Drifter Response Battleship was on grid. If we had left grid, the drifter would have warped off and we would have been safe.

It'd be nice to see something similar tried with a group that runs MJDs for the entire site. I'm not sure if we land a ceptor on grid to break MJD spool fast enough.

Overall, I think this might be a viable way to take on subcap C5 fleets when dealing with crit and frig holes as well as when we may not want to commit a heavy amour or medium shield formup. The biggest question around this strategies viability is probably when all ships are fitted with MJDs.
Personnel Officer | Junior FC
Khalista Hemah

Re: [AAR] WHC pulls off a 10b bomb run!

Post by Khalista Hemah »

It's certainly tricky to lock down a group of targets you're trying to bomb. The interceptor narrowly missed getting oneshot by the last bomb while burning in! I'm not sure there's a solution to that problem, interdictors and ceptors have to go in after the bombing run, and alert prey will have time to MJD out. The best we can do is minimize the warning we give. If we can get all the bombers to cloak when entering warp and not decloak everyone else while in transit, there should at least be enough time to turbodunk one or two targets before they rabbit.
Bob Goodson

Post by Bob Goodson »

Fun fleet and pog FC'ing. This was virtually my first time flying bombers and my first time dualboxing in combat as well. In one instance at the start, we had our primary called only as a "broadcast" (with no further information other than the ship name even though there were more ships of the same type on grid), while all other targets were described with a pilot name AND ship name.

I found the latter to be much better, as in the one scenario where no pilot name was given, I unfortunately assigned my second toon to the wrong target for a couple of volleys. I'm not sure if I was the only one to encounter this issue, as some others were seemingly applying damage to the same wrong ship as well.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Torg Navatin
Title: LSC Officer, Sophomore

Post by Torg Navatin »

And here I am scramming ships w/o MJDs in my little Stiletto like an idiot :-D Held the Eos, though.
Fellese Ovaert

Post by Fellese Ovaert »

Great AAR and sounds like a great op. The BR understates the ISK efficiency of your fleet because some of the biggest losses are ships that had loot in the bay (and you likely recovered). Also, good to hear about what you learned - highly educational for someone curious about wormholes like myself.