[AAR] Saturday's French Kitties 28/11/2020

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
<<

Gaelys Aarmenvar

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 00:52

[AAR] Saturday's French Kitties 28/11/2020

Preface: This was the night of the pseudo-blackout. Chats were crazy, with local only updating when it felt like it. I tried to get as much information back from my chatlogs and zkillboard, but I may have missed a few names. If I missed yours, please send me a message, or reply to this post and I'll fix that :)

Roam members
SPOILER WARNING!
Gaelys Aarmenvar
Royce007
Luc Arbosa
Otto Shultz
SuchSkill
Anidien Dallacort
Martine DeVu
Iris Ayanami
OhLawd Hecoming
mneploho
CachorroPR
Assier Annages
Floon Blagmaar
Biwako Acami
Akachi Isimazu
Casimir 1981
skippy Kanjus
Woody Lo
Casimir 1981
Dr Richard Head
Kathryn Ivanova
Martine DeVu
Hikari Tatsu

So, let's start this AAR. This was my first official fleet as a Junior FC, and if it didn't go as well as I hoped, it clearly went better than how I was afraid it would be :D
A huge thanks to all of you guys who joined this and bared with my inexperience, without even sounding frustrated! And big props to our newbros Dr Richard Head, Kathryn Ivanova, Martine DeVu, SuchSkill, those pilots have been in one of their very first PVP fleets, good job, guys! ( Also I hope this won't be your last one and if it is I swear it's Nienke's fault )

Into the actual things that happened:

I)THE ACTUAL THINGS THAT HAPPENED

After the newbros speech, we started to roam in destination of Nennamaila. A whole lot of nothing happened until our scout finds a Dramiel. Although someone mentioned that we would probably not be able to catch it, I decided to give a try anyway but without any surprise, it was far to fast for us to be in scram range. We left without losses but with some appetite.

A few jumps later ( :!: Note for next time: remember to record the fleet so that you can actually say where the actual things that happened actually happened ), our scout spotted a couple of industrials ( an occator and something else maybe? Can't remember exactly... ). Since we didn't had anything better yet, I asked the scout to try and find them, and a few minutes later, I "volunteered" someone to help them, since our scout was struggling. Turned out that they were hiding in a force field, but more interestingly, a few flashy punishers were spotted on our in gate. Before the scouts were able to close on them, they jumped into our fleet waiting on the other side. We engaged, but they were able to crash the gate and escape us. Obviously, with our weapons timer, we couldn't go after them.

So that we can finish with honours, I brought the fleet in Valhalla. It was busy, even with all the technical issues of that evening. Hero scout found an Hyperion in a large plex, and went for the scram. Nothing better to end the night. I called the Hyperion primary ( after someone asked, cos that's how efficient I am :D ), and asked for a close orbit to stay under its weapons. We almost put it into hull before our DPS was too low, reps caught hard, and kittens stopped purring...

Tristan -1.12m
Tristan -1.09m
Capsule -10k
Tristan -1.14m
Tristan -4.05m
Tristan -1.11m
Tristan -7.25m
Tristan -1.09m
Tristan -1.13m
Tristan -1.07m
Tristan -1.12m
Tristan -1.14m
Tristan -1.12m
Tristan -1.14m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 23.57M
ISK Delta: -23.57M
Efficiency: 0%

So that's all for the admin part. Now for the feeling and learning stuff. Facts might not happen here. Also probably some yelling. At myself only. (And Nienke, because we need to blame Nienke. And Mike. Because Mike. )

II) THE FEELING AND LEARNING STUFF

1) New Horizons
So I am someone who gets stressed easily. Especially when I'm doing something I'm not comfortable with, and if there's something I'm DEFINITELY NOT comfortable with, it's talking to people I don't know much. The funny thing is that when I start panicking, I loose about a 100 points of IQ (No, Mike, still not negative. Uhm? Yes Mike, not far off a dead oyster).
So when you put that with 20+ people attending the fleet, a zest of glitches just bad enough to make me loose the bit of confidence I had mustered (it took me something like 5 minutes of me clicking like a LoL player on this Channel Settings button to be able to update that freaking MotD... AND THEN I FORGOT TO PUT THE SCOUTS ON SO I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!), but just subtle enough that I don't realise that the game was about to get buggy as hell, well, things go bad. I couldn't find my words, probably didn't speak loud enough, gave information in a weird order, forgot some stuff.

Next time:
- make a list of things you want to say during your newbros speech!

2) The Kitties
I had the 4 different Tristan fits available on contract. I spent the week wondering if I had ordered enough ( 10 of each ), how I would distribute them between the fleet, and why I did not order some more in a reshipping station near Black Rise. So much that 2 hours before the fleet, I actually took an Iteron from Jita, bought 15 fits, managed to put 5 in my cargo, and flew to Archavoinet to put them there. But then I realised just before entering Orvolle that one of the gates on my way had started being camped 10 minutes earlier... So these tristans are now in my hangar in Amy :D But no reshipping... Now I have a better idea (not that hard to be fair) of what kind of comp I want, so...

Next time:
- Order some reshipping, these ships don't cost anything, so don't be shy! Also, tell people which fits you want over the others.
- Also don't forget to ask your scouts to have either a scram or a point...

3) En route!
Things started well. So I was off the game for a few months, and all these Edencomm stuff are new to me. And since I spend most of my time in WHC ( and thus don't have a lot of occasions to think about these things ), I didn't think that some people could have had bad standings with Edencomm or the Trigs. I knew about it, in theory, but it took me far too long to realise that I was potentially putting some people in danger... Luckily, Biwako was the only one who had a negative standing with the Trigs, and apparently everyone was ok with Edencomm. At this point, we started to realise that something was wrong with the game, when our scout announced that there were 40+ people in Oueletta, mostly Unistas...

Next time:
- make your homework and learn about what's going on in K-space!

4) Don't panic! ( And carry a towel )
So by now, we knew that local passed away and that even the fleet chat didn't want to be part of the fleet. Even if I knew that I had newbros with me, it felt like I had 20 vets ready to slap the back of my neck, with the image of Nienke facepalming at each of my commands. I was going too slowly, mostly because I was second-guessing every ounce of air coming out of my mouth, except when it was a good idea to do so.
Nevertheless, and although I should have talked more and there was a lot of hesitation from me at some moments ( like when we were waiting for these industrials, I have waited far too long for that ), I was excepting to already be completely silent at this point. Again, I'm terrible at talking. The worst is that chats are usually where I shine. But I couldn't focus on the chat during the form up, and now the chats were dead...

Next time:
-Well, this one is a me thing, it will get better once I get a few fleets under my belt.

5) Ready to Rumble
So we had basically 3 different engagements during this roam:

-First, the Dramiel. Not too much to say about it. I probably tried too hard to catch it and could have give up earlier. I had point on it at some... point, and I could have used a kill to boost everyone's morale ( and mostly mine :D ). And after giving up, for some reasons I was waiting for everyone to regroup on me before warping the fleet rather than just... You know... Warping the fleet out... Oyster IQ FTW, yaay...

-The punishers ( and a breacher ). So this is the one I'm the most disappointed about. The scout tells us they're jumping towards us, the gate flashes, and instead of trying to think calmly, oyster brain goes "Catch everything!! Get me anything!" followed by "Alexei is primary!!" which makes all the sense... And obviously, since the punisher each had one more functioning brain than I had, they didn't aggress and crashed back to the gate. We couldn't follow and killed nothing.
I should have gone for a clear primary to at least get something, and/or having an actual plan, a way to make them aggress somehow, probably using the scouts I had on the other side.
[EDIT] As mentioned below, I ordered to jump after the punishers (wormholer here who forgot weapons timer is a thing), and failed to ask people to take their drones back. Bad mistake.

- Lastly, the battleships. Honest trailer: I came in Tama to kill us in a ball of fire :D We needed a proper fight, and we were about to have it! Scout finds the battleships, I vaguely know the Armageddon is drone, but I'm less familiar with the Hyperion, so I choose to make us orbit close to the Hyperion to avoid its weapons. In retrospective, I think that was the good call. But that's all oysterman was able to do. Because you know what could have been a good thing to do with these nice damp Tristans? Yep, asking them to load a scan res script... Well, looking at the killmails, the 2 damps I can see had the scan res script loaded. Good job, guys! I'm glad you were better at thinking than I was :D
So while people were dying, I was only paying attention to the Hyperion's life. Because you know, you need to be very focused on your weapons when you fly a Tristan. Which is, with the fact that fleet chat kept the killmails for itself, why I didn't see that we were loosing numbers fast. Maybe, if had seen it, I would have called for the defanging of the Armaggeddon. Or maybe not, who knows? The topic was mentioned earlier today in a discord channel, and so it may not have been a good idea anyway. Not quite sure of what the better call was here. One goodish thing is that I (think I have) talked non-stop during this fight, even if was mainly repeating the order to orbit close some useful "Come, keep going, we're getting close! " ( Like, yeah, thanks Fc, I'm gonna overheat my drones or something ).
So at the end, we all die with a smile, because that was actually a good ending! Or so I hope :p ( AND WE WERE SO CLOSE!!! ( of putting it into hull. Which is cool enough)).

So to sum things up:

III) TL;DR: THE SUMMING UP OF ALL THE THINGS

(Positive stuff)
    - That lasted almost 2 hours and felt like 10 minutes. ( At least for me and one other guy who said that :D ). ( And I have a written proof that at least one person thought that was cool! :D ) (or maybe they were talking about another fleet xD)
    - Next time can only be better
    - Next time WILL be better :)
    (Negative stuff)
    - I should have talked more, and go faster
    - Need to relax and stop using the oyster mode
    - Need more planning. Like real planning.
    - Almost left our drones behind during the punishers fight
Last edited by Gaelys Aarmenvar on 2020.12.01 10:45, edited 3 times in total.
Junior FC

ImageImageImage
<<

Casimir 1981

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 01:42

Re: [AAR] Saturday's French Kitties 28/11/2020

It was cool, I really think you did very well with local and chat broken. For all I know, which is almost nothing, I agree about picking the fits you wanted most. And, most important, I liked that we tried to kill the Hyperiona and kept at it. Thanks again for the fleet!
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 02:02

Quiet day in low sec. Lots of people probably docking up due to the chat issues.

It was two industrials - the Occator and a Nereus.

If you hadn’t said that was your first fleet, I wouldn’t have known. I think you did well, and I was glad you decided to take the fight at the end, to see what we could get out of it.

I think the only thing I would add to the negatives - when we had that fight on the gate with the punishers, and they jumped back through - the call to jump the gate after them, with everyone’s drones still out. If we didn’t have weapon timers - if for example they had jumped back through the gate before we could get a lock and start shooting - we’d have been down to 60 percent dps on the other side (assuming 5 drones out and left behind, which probably wasn’t true for everyone). I wanted those kills too, so that’s an easy mistake to make - but if there’s a learning point to come out of the fleet, that’s probably the big one.

You seemed a lot more calm and confident than you give yourself credit for. I had lots of fun, and would join you again for sure!
Anidien Dallacort - Teacher, Mentor, Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Royce007

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 06:42

1. You kept mentioning how you should have talked more or you weren't giving clear orders. I beg to differ. You sounded calm (which at least gives the impression you know what you are doing and keeps the fleet morale up), you gave CLEAR orders. You may say there were mistakes in decision making but whatever decision you made, you communicated that properly. There was no situation where half of the fleet didn't know what to do. You didn't miss a fleet warp or took us to a wrong place.

2. As Anidien mentioned above, it was a quiet day and there were not many people to give us a fight. And the buggy local and fleet chat really made us give up. Taking that hyperion was, at least according to me (my small brain :P) was the right thing to do. Even I who was staying super aware of the situation didn't realize how quickly we were dropping and as we discussed earlier in discord, we really didn't have much of a chance against those drones. I think fleet chat was definitely to blame.

3. Nienke mentioned how we started slow. But I would like to point out, we had a majority of newbros and first-timers in that fleet. And you did a very good job at introducing fleet mechanics and taking the time to clarify everyone's doubts and questions. Starting slow was inevitable since we had an inexperienced scout with us. -I personally learned how important and essential a scouts role is in these kinds of roams-

Things to look out for in the future:

1. The punishers-gate fight. Your orders were delayed, and didn't declare a primary. You mentioned it yourself and I think, I would've done something similar in my first fleet XD

2. Fleet composition, you should have asked for the number of certain ships before undocking and balanced as needed.

3. After joining Hideo's fleet, I realized you were too stressed/serious, you definitely over-prepared. I saw you being much more effective and quick in the Magic-merlin fleet. But yeah, you mentioned more planning and I think that is not needed, you had a vision and we succeeded. We whelped a fleet and had fun in the process. Our matchups were bad, a dramiel, a BS with light drones and a group of experienced gate campers. The plexes were empty. But even with all that uncertainty you didn't freeze and gave clear orders. You mentioned you don;t talk much...so let's join more fleets and chat more :D

It was a very fun fleet. We didn't get to kill anything but next time we definitely will. And after reading a few AARs and discord, you are not the only one to not use our Fleet Support program to the full. I learned a lot from you so thanks for the fleet.
I am me...
<<

Gaelys Aarmenvar

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 10:20

Casimir 1981 wrote:It was cool, I really think you did very well with local and chat broken. For all I know, which is almost nothing, I agree about picking the fits you wanted most. And, most important, I liked that we tried to kill the Hyperiona and kept at it. Thanks again for the fleet!

Thanks! I'm glad you had fun, we'll get a battleship next time :)

Anidien Dallacort wrote:I think the only thing I would add to the negatives - when we had that fight on the gate with the punishers, and they jumped back through - the call to jump the gate after them, with everyone’s drones still out. If we didn’t have weapon timers - if for example they had jumped back through the gate before we could get a lock and start shooting - we’d have been down to 60 percent dps on the other side (assuming 5 drones out and left behind, which probably wasn’t true for everyone). I wanted those kills too, so that’s an easy mistake to make - but if there’s a learning point to come out of the fleet, that’s probably the big one.

You are 100% right, thank you for mentioning this. I am too often guilty of leaving my poor drones behind myself, definitely something I need to think about!

Anidien Dallacort wrote:You seemed a lot more calm and confident than you give yourself credit for. I had lots of fun, and would join you again for sure!

Royce007 wrote:1. You kept mentioning how you should have talked more or you weren't giving clear orders. I beg to differ. You sounded calm (which at least gives the impression you know what you are doing and keeps the fleet morale up), you gave CLEAR orders. You may say there were mistakes in decision making but whatever decision you made, you communicated that properly. There was no situation where half of the fleet didn't know what to do. You didn't miss a fleet warp or took us to a wrong place.

It really didn't feel like it from my pov, really should have recorded the fleet to have an outside view. Thank you for these feedbacks :)

Royce007 wrote:1. The punishers-gate fight. Your orders were delayed, and didn't declare a primary. You mentioned it yourself and I think, I would've done something similar in my first fleet XD

Yes, oyster brain was strong in this fight :D Worth to mention that I'm primarily a logi pilot, so I may be lacking some "actual" pvp experience that could have helped with oyster brain.

Royce007 wrote:2. Fleet composition, you should have asked for the number of certain ships before undocking and balanced as needed.

That's an awesome idea and I will definitely do that next time!

Royce007 wrote:You mentioned you don;t talk much...so let's join more fleets and chat more :D

With pleasure!

Thanks for your inputs, guys, very much appreciated!
Junior FC

ImageImageImage
<<

Iris Ayanami

Portrait

Post 2020.12.01 19:06

I had a lot of fun on this fleet! The first time I did Hyperkittens, it was for a structure bash, so I enjoyed using the fit in a low-sec roam like this. I was guilty of forgetting to scoop drones before a jump and had to backtrack for them, which is a good lesson on my part to not "jump" ahead of myself.

The broken comms in fleet/local added a spookiness to the experience, but I found your vocal directions clear and straightforward to keep up with.

Hopefully next time the server Hamsters will cooperate better! Thanks again for arranging this one.

Return to After Action Reports