Post 2015.11.16 06:16

Re: Passive Targeting Modules: The Anamoly

Excellent write-up, overall. The only bit that's raising a red flag in my mind is this:

K950 wrote:Thirdly, lock time. Observe the chart below of the two modules I tested:

Code:
NAME______________________________TECH LEVEL_______STANDARD LOCK TIME________LOCK TIME BOOSTED________LOCK TIME W/CLOAK
Suppressed Targeting System I     Level 1          5.2sec                    4.2sec                   7.9sec
Passive Targeter II               Level 5          4.7sec                    3.6sec                   8.8sec

I used a Heron. I have Long Range Targeting III and Target Management IV, neither of which changed much in this test as they don't reduce my scan time or increase my scan resolution. The booster was a Prototype Sensor Booster I with a Scan Resolution Script. The cloak was an Improved Cloaking Device II. I used a stop watch which started the moment I clicked on the target (activated module first, then clicked on the target) and stopped it the second the target showed up in my target list box. The target was a Catalyst without a Microwarpdrive active. I'm not sure if he had any modules to increase his signature radius: considering a Catalyst has only two midslots, I highly doubt he had a shield tank. Either way, the figures are for comparative purposes anyways.

Stopwatch timing can be very unreliable, as it's subject to lag and human measurement error. I believe that all the differences you're seeing between the Suppressed and the Tech 2 are measurement errors.

Lock time in seconds is calculated by the server as:
40000 / ( Scan Resolution * ( arcsinh( Signature Radius ) )^2 )

In other words, take the target's Signature Radius in meters...
...take that and calculate the hyperbolic arcsine (also known as: inverse hyperbolic sine, \( sinh^-1 \) )... (ATTN Turhan: I can't get this to superscript correctly.)
...take that and square it...
...take that and multiply by the Scan Resolution...
...take that and calculate the multiplicative inverse...
...take that and multiply it by 40,000 (forty thousand).

So, I would only look at the Scan Resolution of the Heron and the Signature Radius of the target for each test, rather than use a stopwatch.

Again, aside from that detail, excellent write-up.