Stab'd Effects

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

ViulfR DeWolf

Portrait

Post 2015.10.26 18:38

Stab'd Effects

I'm we're I can't properly research this so forgive the simplistic question. If I put a warp core stabilizer on a probe or drone ship; does the negatives to target range and scan resolution affect probes and drones as well (total ship affected) or are they unaffected (ship hull penalty only). Hoping someone has a ready answer.
<<

Martin Vanzyl

Portrait

Assistant Mentor Manager
Assistant Mentor Manager

Post 2015.10.28 15:14

Re: Stab'd Effects

The Warp Core Stab only affects the ship mounting it. The Probes in use by a stab'd scanning ship doesn't lose rez scanning down cosmic sigs. In the same way drones aren't effected either - but you're essentially gutting yourself in a drone ship - since you already have to wait for the drones to MWD to their target, now you're adding more time waiting for a longer lock or burning into gimped lock range.
EVE University Mentor - Teacher - WHC Camper - FCC

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

FCC - Fleet Command Course
<<

ViulfR DeWolf

Portrait

Post 2015.10.28 18:02

Thanks Martin; appreciate the help. I've been thinking of building a fast cheetah for burning bookmarks in hostile space and while thinking about "what if's" for the stealth tank I began wondering about exit strategies and how different mods would affect overall utility. Your advice waves me off of stab's and leads me more into an agile fast approach as I'd like to be able to use the same hull for scanning as well.
<<

Chair Rambo

Portrait

Post 2015.10.28 23:05

The stabs should not impact the Cheetah at all. Especially if you are wanting to run it through hostile space for bookmarks and such. The only time it will come into play is when you need to lock onto something, and all you should really be locking with a Cheetah is a relic or data site can. The trade off has usually been worth it to me on a Cov-Ops frigate (non-bomber).

If you do end up fitting for speed, keep an eye on the align times in something like EFT. Some times the additional inertial dampener or nanofiber in the low wont get you enough to make a difference since the alignment to enter warp is based off a full 1 second server tick. In game 2.9s and 2.1s are the same.

I have had the warp core stabilizer save my Imicus/Helios a number of times bouncing around in hostile space.
<<

ViulfR DeWolf

Portrait

Post 2015.10.29 15:16

More good advice Chair Rambo. Thanks. That was my initial worry - not being quick enough out of the starting block and getting tackled. I usually experience some minor latency due to my ridiculous internet set up so I think I'll go with the stab: I only get 100-300 more speed out of additional fiber or overdrive with my set up so its worth a few more seconds of lock time on a target that won't shoot back.
<<

Jeff Kione

Portrait

Post 2015.10.29 15:28

Don't use stabs. Fit your covops for exploration and it'll be fine for making bookmarks. If I were you, I'd use an inty for making bookmarks and a covops for doing scanning, but a covops can (slowly) make bookmarks on an as-needed basis. For full time bookmarking, I'd always pick the inty.
<<

ViulfR DeWolf

Portrait

Post 2015.10.29 16:50

Thanks Jeff, while I often use Inties for bm's there's been a time or two I couldn't loiter like I wanted at that time due to gate campers actively probing. I thought the cov ops might offer the best of both worlds. The cheetah I'm working up does 3200 with stab and a bit north of 3500 with an additional overdrive and my skills. I get about 4200 out of a similarly fit inty and so am trading bubble immunity and about 700 to stay as long as I want in hotly contested areas.

I also had a side goal of improving dscan and probing using live targets. Maybe not smart but there it is. But I do appreciate the comments, they're helping me refine my approach.
<<

Chair Rambo

Portrait

Post 2015.10.29 23:01

Jeff, I am curious why you would avoid stabs even when just doing general exploration in a covert-ops. I haven't found any other low slot options that would be preferred if I am just out running Data and Relic sites.
<<

Jeff Kione

Portrait

Post 2015.10.30 01:05

To be clear we're talking about warp core stabs. I will always prefer either a nano or inertia stab on my covops because the additional agility for faster align times is more likely to save my skin than having one more warp core strength against someone hunting explorers (who will likely fit more than one point anyway).

My philosophy when it comes to covops is that if someone manages to get you targeted, you're probably in trouble. Faster, more agile ships for aligning (plus the MWD + cloak trick) will probably do more for you in the long run. Besides, warp core stabs are useless in null when you're up against bubbles.
<<

Chair Rambo

Portrait

Post 2015.11.04 19:42

Yeah, that is what I was talking about as well. I also agree with you, for the most part. Prioritizing the nanofibers or inertial stabilizers over the Warp Core stab is the way to go for all Cov-Ops ships. I just wouldn't rule it out, especially for exploration ships. Depending on the ship and the fit, the 1 extra nano or inertial stab wont have much, if any impact on your align times. I am going off a bit more into the EFT warrior territory, but as I understand it you can essentially round up all align times to the next full second to account for the server timing.

I will concede though, your last point about bubbles is right. That is where the warp core stab is just a wasted slot.
<<

Jeff Kione

Portrait

Post 2015.11.04 20:47

Yes. Essentially you always want to try to round down when fitting ships, so if you can go from 2.1 seconds to 1.9, you absolutely want to do that. Going from 2.4 to 2.1 has no impact due to the way server ticks work. If I was in a situation like the latter, I'd probably prefer to fit a nano over the warp core stab. Say you run into a gate camp in a covops. Assuming you can cloak before being targeted (most cases), would you want to get up to warping speed faster or slower? Obviously you'd prefer to be faster, because any competent gate camp will try to decloak you before you get up to warp speed.

The additional speed also means you can burn bookmarks faster, you can potentially outrun someone with only a point and not a scram (if you have a MWD fit), you can potentially crash the gate if you think you can't warp out before being pointed, your MWD+cloak trick will take you further making you harder to decloak, etc.

I'll repeat again: if you manage to get targeted in a covops, you're already in a lot of trouble and in serious danger of being alpha'd off the field before you even get up to speed to warp.
<<

Maekchu

Portrait

Post 2015.11.05 07:17

I will second, that it is much better to fit for shorter align time and faster cloaking "slowboat" speed, than fitting in some warp cores stabs.

First of all, as mentioned, you should never rely to be able to get out once you have already been targeted in a covops. Covops have very little tank and are weak against alpha damage. If you die within the first volley, that warp stab have not helped you at all.

So instead of relying on that, you should just be better at understanding your surroundings and take measures to become a very hard target to lock. Getting a much faster align time, so you can quickly get the hell out of a hairy situation, will improve your rate of survivability.

Also, if you want to burn bookmarks. Increase in your speed, will make that bookmark burning much more convenient.

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items