Cloak+MWD, long time to warp and engine thermal shielding?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Saarissiya Naimsula

Portrait

Post 2015.05.13 16:43

Cloak+MWD, long time to warp and engine thermal shielding?

Friends,

I have an epithal that with my skills and fit has a time to warp of 12.4s, per EFT. When I try the cloak + MWD trick, I notice that sometimes, but not always I have a short ramp up time before hitting warp.

I imagine that this is because my ship is still turning, since my speed is in the 160s, while 75% of max is 122m/s.

I can see two solutions here.
1) wait 2.4 (3 really) seconds after the MWD cycle to break cloak and warp to give myself time to align and hope that I am still faster than 122m/s by the time my ship aligns. My cloaked MWD speed is at around 190 when the cycle ends, so I'm decelerating still when I break cloak

or
2) fit an engine thermal shield rig, extend the MWD cycle out to 12.5 s, and then I aught to be aligned when I break cloak.

Thoughts? (Am I doing something wrong?)
<<

Rbls

Portrait

Post 2015.05.13 18:28

Re: Cloak+MWD, long time to warp and engine thermal shielding?

It does not sound like you did much to fit for align time. The other thing I suggest is to disable auto-repeat on the MWD.
Unless you are dealing with bubbles, I wouldn't use the thermal rig. Otherwise, I suspect you mainly need to practice your technique and pay careful attention to the order, timing and speed when hitting the buttons and warp.
<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2015.05.13 19:09

Stupid question, but are you fitting the correct modules?

You need the T2 Improved Cloak (the speed penalty for the T1 cloak is too much), you also need a 10MN MWD (any variant).
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Marius Labo

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2015.05.13 21:14

Ernesto Guevarti wrote:Stupid question, but are you fitting the correct modules?

You need the T2 Improved Cloak (the speed penalty for the T1 cloak is too much), you also need a 10MN MWD (any variant).

Make sure of this.

The order you need to execute the trick is to first align to your target destination, then turn on your Improved Cloaking Device II and within five seconds of that pulse on your 10MN MicroWarpDrive I (or variant). When the MWD is at 90% to 95% cycle then you decloak and then hit your "Warp to" (spam it, but don't go nuts) and you should enter warp almost instantaneously as you should be at least at 75% of your top velocity. You shouldn't have any aligning issues since that is the first thing you do and when you decloak you should be within the 5° angle of your target and you'll be cloaked and moving for long enough to achieve that.

Ref: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Cloak_Trick

It does take some practice to get it down.
<<

Saarissiya Naimsula

Portrait

Post 2015.05.14 01:24

Rbls wrote:It does not sound like you did much to fit for align time. The other thing I suggest is to disable auto-repeat on the MWD.
Unless you are dealing with bubbles, I wouldn't use the thermal rig. Otherwise, I suspect you mainly need to practice your technique and pay careful attention to the order, timing and speed when hitting the buttons and warp.

Indeed, I'm not. Good catch. I'm using this to pull PI out of low sec, so I've got three WCSs in the lows. Add in the Ancillary current router to power the 10MN MWD and I've only been able to get it down to 12.4s

WCS I
WCS I
WCS I
Inertial Stabilizer II

Experimental 10MN MWD
Medium Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invuln II
Cetus ECM Burst (I've never had to use this since no gangs have caught me yet and the three WCSs get me past the dual points)

Improved Cloak II

Med Ancillary Current Router
Med Low Friction Nozzles
[Med Engine thermal/Med Low Friction Nozzle/Med Core Defense Shield Extender]

(and I've got the order down, although waiting a couple of seconds to hit the MWD might be worth it. Usually I have it down that I hit align, MWD and cloak within about a half second using the function keys (think "Click, F1,F2!") Then hit the MWD to turn it off at the end of the cylce, then as the circle closes, it's spam warp and decloak. Still, sometimes there delay
Many thanks for the thoughts! Keep 'em coming.
<<

Marius Labo

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2015.05.14 05:48

Saarissiya Naimsula wrote:(and I've got the order down, although waiting a couple of seconds to hit the MWD might be worth it. Usually I have it down that I hit align, MWD and cloak within about a half second using the function keys (think "Click, F1,F2!") Then hit the MWD to turn it off at the end of the cylce, then as the circle closes, it's spam warp and decloak. Still, sometimes there delay
Many thanks for the thoughts! Keep 'em coming.
This doesn't seem correct for the order in which to do the cloak trick.

• Align to your outbound target
  • Turn on your Improved Cloaking Device II to cloak
  • Pulse your MWD within 5 seconds of cloaking. Note that you can turn on your MWD after cloaking within 5 seconds.
  • When your MWD is at 90% to 95% of it's full cycle then you decloak. You do not touch your MWD at all.
  • Start to spam your "Warp to" (your outbound target should still be your selected object).
  • Your MWD will automatically deactivate and when it does you should enter warp instantly.

Based on what you're writing in which order you're doing this, especially indicating that you're hitting the MWD again to turn it off before you decloak, that would seem to be the issue; that you're not doing the trick in the correct order.

Hope that helps.
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2015.05.14 07:14

Manually decycling the MWD under cloak has the same effect as having auto-repeat off. It doesn't interfere with MWD/cloak trick at all.

PS: OP, if you have issues at some times, but the trick works fine at others, then your timing seems to be the issue. Time to warp after a gate jump is the same regardless of the direction you are warping - the way your ship is facing in 3D space is purely fluff in this situation.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Saarissiya Naimsula

Portrait

Post 2015.05.14 14:37

Titus Tallang wrote:Manually decycling the MWD under cloak has the same effect as having auto-repeat off. It doesn't interfere with MWD/cloak trick at all.

PS: OP, if you have issues at some times, but the trick works fine at others, then your timing seems to be the issue. Time to warp after a gate jump is the same regardless of the direction you are warping - the way your ship is facing in 3D space is purely fluff in this situation.

In other words, if you have an align time of greater than 10s (say 12), and you rely on the MWD, you'll get to speed faster, but you'll still need 12s to align.

I think this means in reality, I should
align
cloak
wait at least 2 seconds
hit MWD
Then after 10 additional seconds (total 12)
decloak,warp off.

Thanks! My shields thank you

So the use of the Engine Thermal shielding is still a mystery. I guess getting longer pushes to get out of bubbles is a good use.
<<

Lill Oddleif

Portrait

Post 2015.05.14 17:31

Personally I take the first align to somewhere I'm not going to go. E.g. if I align to sun, people will try to get ahead for a decloak. Then after actually cloaking I'll align to somewhere else, e.g. planet 9 and only then turn on MWD.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any form of space trash is able to decloak you. Make sure cargo containers, drones, etc. show up on your overview if you need to do things like burn out of an interdiction bubble.

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items