[Request] Nightmare AB vs MWD

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Aflixion Starr

Portrait

Post 2015.03.12 23:38

[Request] Nightmare AB vs MWD

I was having a discussion with a corpmate today about the acceleration rate (in terms of % of max speed) of the Nightmare with an AB vs with an MWD. EFT tells us that they have the same align time and therefore the same acceleration rate, but he seems to think that in practice the AB accelerates more slowly. He claims that a Nightmare with MWD can get up to max speed in about 2 cycles while the same Nightmare with AB needs 4 cycles to reach max speed, a difference of about 50% (20 sec vs ~30 sec).

Is there anyone that can help with this by testing it in game? It doesn't have to be on TQ if you don't want to risk your Nightmare. I personally cannot fly a Nightmare, otherwise I would test it myself. The test would be to fit an MWD, undock and stop your ship, then start moving in one direction and turn on the MWD. Note how long it takes (in seconds, not in # cycles) to get to near top speed. Then, dock up and repeat with an AB. If you have the ability to do so, please record a video of the tests and link the video here.

If I'm correct, we should see the same numbers for each. My corpmate seemed to think it was due to the new AB bonus on all Sansha ships, but evidence in-game from other sources says otherwise. If things worked as he thinks, skills, links, and implants would all show similar results to what he claims with the Nightmare, but they don't. They behave as expected, in line with the results from EFT. I've also personally seen from my own ship that with both no links and with skirmish links active, my ship takes the same amount of time to accelerate to max speed with a prop mod.

Thanks in advance, space friends o7
Graduate / LSC / Guest Lecturer / Guest FC / Mentor
DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?
<<

Aflixion Starr

Portrait

Post 2015.03.13 08:19

Re: [Request] Nightmare AB vs MWD

I managed to get a friend to run this test for me. The Nightmare had nothing other than the AB and MWD fit. Here are the results:

AB: dead stop to warp = 22.02s
MWD: dead stop to warp = 21.7s

The difference between the two is small enough to be accounted for by server ticks. Thus, we can conclude that both AB and MWD provide the same agility penalty.
DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2015.03.13 09:30

Makes sense, they both add the same mass (+50 million kg) and thrust (+150 million N).

Since I was curious if the absolute speed factored in at all (the velocity and ship bonus), I did the same test, but this time starting at full speed and trying to warp to a destination directly behind me. I got extremely similar times 27,66 (MWD) vs 27,566 (AB), so it stands to reason that "torque"-like factors (moment of force) are non-existent (and I'm sorry to anyone with actual knowledge of physics for my butchering of terms and oversimplifications). The fact that the MWD is faster in terms of absolute speed doesn't seem to matter at all, which makes sense since it's faster due to another variable leaving the mass and thrust remains the same for both modules.
<<

Kataki Soikutsu

Portrait

Post 2015.03.15 01:50

Of course it takes more cycles for the AB fit NM to reach warp speed compared to the MWD one. They warp in the same time but ABs have a shorter cycle. The MWD has a 10 sec cycle, while the AB cycle is from 7.5-10 sec depending an your level of afterburner skill. So you and your corpmate are both right in a way. Though you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges.

Image Image
<<

Aflixion Starr

Portrait

Post 2015.03.16 21:50

We did compare apples to apples. We converted from cycles to seconds: 20 seconds for 2 cycles MWD vs ~30 seconds for 4 cycles AB.

Either way, it's a moot point now that we know the align times are identical.
DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items