Organizing your hangers...

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Jackex Tivianne

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 15:36

Organizing your hangers...

What options are available for organizing items in hangers/ships? I'm starting to get quite a collection of random stuff cluttering my hanger and need to get organized!

Jackex
<<

Liafail

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 15:48

Re: Organizing your hangers...

Station Containers. They are 10,000 m^s packed, and once unpacked can hold up to 1,000,000 m^3. The only issue is if you move around a lot and like to bring everything with you, you'll need to take everything out, put it in a hauler, repackage the containers and put those in the hauler, then take it all to your new station.....or use a freighter with enough cargo space for an un-packaged container.

There are smaller containers, but they fill up too fast for me.

Cheers
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2013.10.24 15:49

Personally I use containers, named for the various groups of modules I want split up. Station containers are dirt cheap and can hold anything, including tons of ships if you'd like with the downside that they can't really be moved. If mobility is more important, you can do some compromise in capacity and go for freighter containers (would obviously fit inside a freighter for movement) or something smaller to go in an Orca, or even smaller, regular containers to go into regular ships.

Depending on how active I am in that system, I sometimes use like three containers, "Equipment", "Miscellaneous" and "Sell" or I go for broke, dividing it further, adding several more containers.

It'll be interesting to hear how others do it :)
<<

Liafail

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 16:02

I organize mine in a similar fashion. At HQ I think I have 6 container: Modules, Ships, Missiles, Ammunition, Sell, Reprocess, and Skillbooks/Blue Prints

I know a station container for skillbooks and BPO/BPC's is overkill but meh. I separate Missiles from the other types of ammo because I only fly missiles ships right now.

The current system I'm doing L3/L4's in I only have 2 containers, 1 for sell and the other for reprocessing (which I give to my wife to do).
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 22:20

You guys do realize you can just create inventory folders to do this right? It's persistent across your entire inventory, so if you move, you just scoop everything up and dump it back out at the other end.
<<

Frood Frooster

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2013.10.24 22:25

I have all my stuff at the hangar floor and use filters. You can then easily remote access your stuff which is not possible when it is in containers. When I hit the 1000 items limit, I move some stuff that I don't use into containers.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Kivena

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2013.10.24 22:45

Frood Frooster wrote:I have all my stuff at the hangar floor and use filters.

What he said. Bottom left of Inventory window (second button down on Neocom). You can add your own filters too, filtering by Group is the most useful.

Image Image Image Image
Follow me on Twitter: @eveKivena
<<

Terra Infector Adoudel

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 22:48

Daniel Wittaker wrote:You guys do realize you can just create inventory folders to do this right? It's persistent across your entire inventory, so if you move, you just scoop everything up and dump it back out at the other end.

How do you make inventory folders?
Assistant Wiki Manager | Former ILN Lieutenant | WHC Founding Member
<<

Alicia Fermi

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 23:17

I find that the new(ish) inventory system allows for quite handy ways to partition your items. I still use containers for crude ways to separate items that need to be hidden from the filter system (as an example, I throw all my junk in Jita in a can when I am buying up multiple fits to be shipped elsewhere in space).

I use filters to select out charges, high, mid, and low slot modules. I have filters for fuel, tank mods, and cap mods in order to find them quickly when refitting my carrier in space. GSCs are used to separate modules that belong to different characters while moving, or to hold fuel (extra space).

But I mainly use filters to organise my things.
Ex Senior Personnel Officer | KB | Twitter | Internet spaceships are very serious business!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

BobbyRush

Portrait

Post 2013.10.24 23:36

I have used containers in the past but very recently cleaned house and am now using filters quite effectivly.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.10.25 00:30

Alicia Fermi wrote:I use filters to select out charges, high, mid, and low slot modules. I have filters for fuel, tank mods, and cap mods in order to find them quickly when refitting my carrier in space. GSCs are used to separate modules that belong to different characters while moving, or to hold fuel (extra space).

Oh, I still use containers on the Archon. For the space!
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2013.10.25 07:27

My refined sorting needs go beyond that of what mere filters can give me, but I'm glad you mentioned it Daniel.

I'm sure it works fine for most people and it'll have the added benefit of not compromising your assets list like putting stuff in containers do.
<<

Hank Magnusson

Portrait

Post 2013.10.25 12:18

Thank you for explaining the filters! I had run into a similar issue with using containers but then not being able to remote view/sell items.

For anyone new to containers, please note that station containers have audit logs and you are not allowed to repackage them for 3 weeks after the last audit log entry. So if you try one and you don't like it, you'll need to wait 3 weeks before repackaging+selling it.
<<

Chuck Maverick

Portrait

Post 2013.10.25 12:40

Hank Magnusson wrote:For anyone new to containers, please note that station containers have audit logs and you are not allowed to repackage them for 3 weeks after the last audit log entry. So if you try one and you don't like it, you'll need to wait 3 weeks before repackaging+selling it.

This is why I always use freight containers, not station containers.

Also, for a less than satisfactory fix if you need to sell something remotely that is in a container, I believe you can remotely repackage containers which will throw all their contents into your hangar.
WHC Officer
<<

Aren Dar

Portrait

Post 2013.10.25 12:58

I have everything that I might need immediately on my hangar floor and use filters for that. I have a bunch of containers with either - stuff that's far in excess of anything I need, stuff I don't want to use or sell, large quantities/stockpiles of minerals/modules that I might trade with in the future.
Next

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items